Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Return of the Concussion Rifle!

Page: 1 of 1
 Wilhuf
08-09-2003, 5:37 PM
Kenn Hoekstra says in an interview (http://actionvault.ign.com/features/interviews/jediacadint.shtml) with Action Vault that the Concussion rifle will be in Jedi Academy. :thumbsup:

Kenn Hoekstra: Jedi Academy will feature 12 weapons as well as three different lightsabers. The two new weapons in the game are the DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol and the Stouker Concussion rifle.
 Mith[OmNi]
08-09-2003, 6:01 PM
You've got no reason to use it though... you've got a lightsaber the whole game. And if you try to use it against Jedi, they'll either block it, dodge it, or push it back on to you.
 Wilhuf
08-09-2003, 6:13 PM
I'm thinking the Concussion Rifle will be more useful in multiplayer.
 lllKyNeSlll
08-09-2003, 7:28 PM
ah the conc fires so fast a projectile that it would be hard to push back. The secondary for a conc won't be able to be pushed since its an instant hit. I doubt it will be able to be blocked by a saber. Also if it could, you could just aim at the ground and let the splash damage hit. This is my thoughts if the conc is similar to tohe jk1 conc.
 «¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦»
08-09-2003, 7:46 PM
The Concussion Rifle is freaking powerful but u dont have much ammo 400 i think and its 10 per fire so 30 fires...and in sp its very usefull to kill multiple enemies at a long range if they are close enough...
 Wilhuf
08-09-2003, 8:28 PM
«¦gшt ѓшrзл?¦» does the C-Rifle have high rate of fire, fast projectile, fast speed, etc.? In other words, is it similar to the Concussion Rifle in Jedi Knight/MotS?
 Sargasso
08-09-2003, 8:52 PM
I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails but this has been common knowledge around for forums for weeks now.

Also, plz don't silicit information from a user who has played the illegal leaked beta or heard fromm someone else who has.

Hopefull txa won't show up here ;)
 Wilhuf
08-09-2003, 9:05 PM
Information on Concussion Rifle performance isn't much of a spoiler, especially if the inclusion of the Concussion Rifle in the game has been "common knowledge" here for weeks.
 Sargasso
08-09-2003, 9:29 PM
Well, I think the distinction most people around here have been trying to make is that information from the illegal beta shouldn't be shared at all regardless of what it is.
 Wilhuf
08-09-2003, 10:13 PM
*Sigh*
I will pm this guy and get the info.

My intent here is to discuss how the Concussion Rifle will work in Academy multiplayer. Getting some info on how it actually works would help move the discussion along.

For instance, will gun fans be happy with it? Or will they cry about it being a flaccid tool for the "Star Wars Roleplayers" or whatever the latest label-du-jour is?

Will saberists run and cry in terror from the concussion's overwhelming might?

Or will the Concussion be a weapon of balance and beauty?
 Sam Fisher
08-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Its going to be a beauty:) I've always liked the Concussion Rifle, nice to blow away stormies;)

I think it'll be a very good MP gun, it might be a good ambush weapon, but there's no telling what is going to be different in JA.
 Shotokan
08-09-2003, 11:15 PM
But aren't you guys the least bit worried that n00bs will spam that weapon in MP?
 Tarus
08-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Wouldn't a jedi simply absorb the impact and shunt it into something useful like telekentics? (sp?)

Movie Example: Vader absorbing hans laser blasts and then using the energy to rip the gun from hans hand (lol hans hand)
 boinga1
08-10-2003, 12:46 AM
When was the last time ou saw anyone do that in Jedi Outcast? Or Jedi Acdemy, or Jedi Knight, or MOTS, or heck, even KOTOR?
 Shotokan
08-10-2003, 3:38 AM
Well... If JA found some way to implement that it'd be cool, but by now I'd think they're finishing up.

[edit] forget that last sentence. I realized it's still August. :p
 Wilhuf
08-10-2003, 12:34 PM
When was the last time ou saw anyone [deflect or absorb a concussion blast] in Jedi Outcast? Or Jedi Acdemy, or Jedi Knight, or MOTS, or heck, even KOTOR?

Somewhere around 1998-99, the SPORK mod for Jedi Knight allowed Jedis to deflect incoming Concussion rounds, but only if they directly lined up their saber with the round. They couldn't deflect splash damage. So that meant you couldn't deflect because the concussion rifle is usually used for indirect fire. ;)

I'm hoping concussion adds more 'oomph,' 'muscle,' 'power,' 'explosive action,' whatever you want to call it, to gameplay.
 boinga1
08-10-2003, 8:46 PM
I think that the very definition of a Concussion Rifle needs to be examined. It says in the JK manual that it fires rounds of "Ionized" air. Well...compressed air launched at high speeds could be damaging, but it wouldn't explode, and it would probably deal direct damage to the target as opposed to hurting shields. I don't know what "ionizing" the air does.

Personally, I don't think it will be used nearly as much as the Rifle in JK, simply because the auto-targetting in JK was its greatest strength. However, in JO, it should be harder to aim, and it really does fire pretty slow.
 ryudom
08-11-2003, 12:20 AM
and it really does fire pretty slow

why do you think this
 boinga1
08-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Well, it's an almost 1 secong delay between shots...maybe .8 secs. Now, of course, in JK, you would get your power boost and run around shooting half that speed, half the ammo use=0WN4G3.

On the other hand, put it in JA, it'll probably shoot about like the Merr-Sonn Rocket as far as rate of fire. Just a guess. It's a slow shot, compared to, say, Repeater Alt or Flechette Alt Fire.
 ryudom
08-11-2003, 12:59 AM
well don't count your (broken?) eggs until they hatch. hah
 The Count
08-20-2003, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by Shotokan
But aren't you guys the least bit worried that n00bs will spam that weapon in MP?

My God, I can't stand it when people who complain about spamming a weapon or force power, for God sake shut the hell up, the weapon is there for use, not to conserve, if they are spamming the Concussion Rifle, take a different tactic in beating the person who frequently chooses to use the Concussion Rifle, that will force that player to take a different tactic with the Concussion Rifle, if you can't think of a different tactic, then truly it is you who is the n00b, if you can't counter a weapon in the game then it is truly you who are the rookie, and the person who "spams" the Concussion Rifle is the better player.

If you think I'm complaining to victimising you then you are mistaken, in MOTS I used to use the Concussion Rifle alot, and yes it did rack up my kills, however people knew how to use, protect, speed and pull to counter it, therefore I adapted a new technique, the whole point for me of playing this game is to learn how to counter other people's style of playing and become a better player because of it, not complain about someone who is new who is kicking your ass because you don't know how to counter the Concussion Rifle, also killing that n00b with your "1337 5k1llZ" will make you feel extra satisfied, it will also make the "n00b" a better player.

This rant is about general "n00bs" who use the Concussion Rifle frequently, not honorz RPG gamers who personally I have no time for at all, BTW in the films did you ever see at the start of a Lightsaber duel someone bow; because I didn't.

Anyway to some it up in a few words, the Concussion Rifle is there to be used how anyone wants, if someone uses it frequently; exploit is weakness frequently ;)

[\rant]
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Sargasso
Hopefull txa won't show up here ;) HEY ?!?!? :eek: :confused:;)

OK, so I've been a bit sharp-worded in opposing the beta info, for two reasons - the illegality & ethics or piracy, and the deluge of unwanted spoilers. Honestly if it weren't for the second I'd freak less about the first. The problem (and I've run into it on the KOTOR boards, MacGamer boards, and the jediknight usenet group, among other web boards I've glanced) is that the people posting about the pirated beta tend not to be considerate of others' concerns or desires not to see spoilers. They treat it like a released game.

I know we'll go through the same thing here after release - people posting titles like 'what do you do in X after killing Y', when both X and Y are spoilers ... but right now we're in pre-release mode and enjoying discussions. After the 17th I'll pobably stay away for the most part until I play through at least once.

Hey - I forgot to mention the concussion gun :rolleyes: I'm pretty excited about it ... I'm sure I'll be ~90% saber, but it is nice to see old weapons returning, regardless what they are ...

Mike
 Sargasso
08-22-2003, 2:07 AM
I guess my only question now is- why does the Concussion rifle look so ugly?

You can go to the official site now http://www.swjediacademy.com) and look at the weapons, including the conc.

I might be able to swallow the practicalness of military grays if the model weren't so...weak? Terribly terribly boxy and undetailed.
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 6:57 AM
It looks different than the concussion rifle in DF1 and from the one seen in JK/MotS.

It looks more like the JK one actually, but with double (?) barrels, and two "side knobs" (instead of the one that looked like a second handle on the JK one).

It's supposed to be big and boxy, and it looks no worse to me than the "ugly" Flechette or Merr Sonn.

It sounds like they limited the range on it (in the previous games, it would go until it hit a wall or other obstruction), but still has an impressive blast radius (12 feet!).

Can't wait to see it in action...

On a side note, the BlasTech pistol looks good (I can excuse the lack of a trigger of course), and the Personal Shield Generator has been re-designed.

I wonder if this means the Stun Baton is nixed? I also didn't see any new items listed...
 Sargasso
08-22-2003, 12:16 PM
It's supposed to be big and boxy

Erm, says what?

Now big I don't mind, even if the conc magically grows in size with each iteration. And boxy would be exceptable had they skinned more detail on the weapon.

But when these three unite it can't help but suck. There are just huge spaces of blank, solid grey on a boxy, big conc. I think both the Mersonn and Flechette are actually excellent looking weapons with their models are skins, even if their effects are boring; they look like Picassos compared to the kindergarden fingerpainting which is that conc.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I wonder if this means the Stun Baton is nixed? I also didn't see any new items listed... Gawd, I hope so ... that thing was useless except against those stupid mine crabs ...wish they'd left them in Elite Force :mad:

Mike
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Gawd, I hope so ... that thing was useless except against those stupid mine crabs ...wish they'd left them in Elite Force :mad:

Mike

I actually liked the stun baton in JO...but what I hated was the fact you had no real opportunity to use it. There was practically no stealthy gameplay mechanics in the game (like the ability to sneak up behind someone stealthily to take them down), so the weapon was made redundant.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...they should have increased the opportunities for using stealth in every level (not like the unforgiveable 'stealth' level in JO), in a similar way that you can use stealth in NOLF2 or Deus Ex. Especially from the perspective of a Padawan learner...they shouldn't be going out to 'kill their enemies...all of them'. The entire concept of Jedi honour codes and diplomacy (which is actually mentioned by Skywalker in the trailer), goes flying out the window if you can't actually 'practice' them because the game mechanics are totally different.

Here endeth the rant. :(

As for the Conc...hmmm... It does look a bit ugly compared to it's previous incarnations. Here's a reminder of what they have all looked like...

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/conc1.jpghttp://www.robertbowen.co.uk/DFconc.jpg)

The Dark Forces incarnation

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/conc2.jpghttp://www.robertbowen.co.uk/JKconc.jpg)

The Jedi Knight version

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/conc3.jpg)

The Jedi Academy version

Quite a bit of change going on there...and I actually prefer the DF version more than the others, because it has a more ergonomic look...
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I actually liked the stun baton in JO...but what I hated was the fact you had no real opportunity to use it. There was practically no stealthy gameplay mechanics in the game (like the ability to sneak up behind someone stealthily to take them down), so the weapon was made redundant.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...they should have increased the opportunities for using stealth in every level (not like the unforgiveable 'stealth' level in JO), I completely agree - though I didn't mind the 'stealth level' in JO. I do fundamentally disagree with forced stealth levels for no good reason. In JO, they could have changed that in two simple ways - have the cutscene say that the base is on high alert, especially around the dock, and also showed a full legion of troopers swarming the dock loading area.

I would, however, love the ability to play the whole game through killing as few people as possible (followed by playing through killing everything in sight ;) ), with Mind Trick that acts more like persuasion from JK.

In light of that ... maybe it is a good thing they left out stealth ...

Mike
 boinga1
08-22-2003, 7:54 PM
Stun Baton was kinda stupid...I think's it's gone because of Raven's determination to "focus on saber combat." But what happens in MP in Siege when a Merc runs out of ammo? :confused:

And yes, I hate the forced stealth. I do like it is an option...I woulda owned those troopers if they'd attacked me in JO. I know it. It woulda been like the Smith fight in Matrix Reloaded...troopers pouring in from all sides, getting knocked back/killed. :D
 BobaFett123456
08-22-2003, 9:02 PM
:fett: Yeah what does a non lightsaber class in seige mode do when he runs out of ammo!:confused: :fett:
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 9:11 PM
Originally posted by BobaFett123456
:fett: Yeah what does a non lightsaber class in seige mode do when he runs out of ammo!:confused: :fett:

If you run out of ammo...it's time to run for your life :P

On a more serious note, I would imagine that ammo/health etc., will continue to spawn into the level. It is MP after all, so I don't see why that shouldn't be the case.

I'm also wondering if the 'Tech' class will have the ability to 'make' ammo for the team as they progress...

However, that's sort of off-topic. In terms of Concussion rifle ammo...I hope there is adequate ammo in SP so you can use the weapon across several missions. For MP, I hope the ammo (and rate of fire) is limited, so it does not become too powerful.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 9:55 PM
Originally posted by BobaFett123456

[my best Kodan commander voice from The Last StarFight] We Die! [off]

;)

Only partly kidding - I'm sure there are some spawns, but you probably won't get there ...

Mike
 boinga1
08-22-2003, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
In terms of Concussion rifle ammo...I hope there is adequate ammo in SP so you can use the weapon across several missions. For MP, I hope the ammo (and rate of fire) is limited, so it does not become too powerful.

I agree. I was playing JK the other day and I realized just how luch ammo there is, especially compared to JO. Most of the JO heavy weapons (ie. repeater) are nice but inaccurate and ammo-consuming. In 20 seconds of firing, you could comsum your entire ammo bank. Whereas in JK, I'm runnig around using the coc. rifle when I feel like it, even though none of the enemies have them.
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, if the stun baton (since we have no idea if the ST Rifle adds a stun setting or not, probably not though) could be used to assist in capturing somebody or arresting them (in a non-lethal manner) that would be quite good.

Until you get Mind Trick of course. ; )

Quite a bit of change going on there...and I actually prefer the DF version more than the others, because it has a more ergonomic look...

Now that you mention it, the JA version looks like the JK version rotated on its side (with the knobs which were the double handles shortened, and the side knob lengthened to become the new handle). I forgot that the JK version almost looks like it has a second barrel as well.

Was Kyle using it "gat style" the whole time prior to this?

I guess as long as it makes big boomy pastel blue/white explosions, I'll be happy. What did people expect, the chrome silver cannon from "Men in Black"?
 Wilhuf
08-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I like the look of the new concussion rifle. It's true to the design tradition. It still has the side mounted magazine or handle. It's definitely descended from the originals.

I hope it's a weapon to be feared and respected.

Plus I hope they use the same Concussion report sound as in the original DF 1 and JK/MotS. A very unique weapon noise. And of course the feeling of power that you get when you hear projectile impact!
 TheZero
08-24-2003, 3:01 AM
I hate the consussion rifle.

[ Sorry, leaked beta info removed. ]

but it is my personal favorite gun in the game.
 Jeff 42
08-24-2003, 3:09 AM
Originally posted by TheZero
I hate the consussion rifle ... but it is my personal favorite gun in the game.
 TheZero
08-24-2003, 3:19 AM
ya jeff in that it is challenging. I hate to face it but i like to face it.
 Kurgan
08-24-2003, 7:32 AM
Just because it's such a great weapon, here's some shots of it from MotS:

http://www.jediknight.net/MotS_ConcR.jpg)
Page: 1 of 1