Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

retarded question

Page: 1 of 1
 JerAir
08-06-2003, 6:31 PM
I've tried everything, went to rich diesal's web page, and I still
don't understand how to make water!

can someone tell me exactly how to make it?
 rgoer
08-06-2003, 6:46 PM
How to make water:

1. Before you get started, open up common.shader (in base/shaders/) and add this code to the end of it:textures/common/caulk_water
{
surfaceparm water
surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm trans
}Now download this (http://www.deevickery.btinternet.co.uk/ww/forum_stuff/q3map2/images/caulk_water.jpg) image and save it as "caulk_water.jpg" in the textures/common/ directory.

2. Now you can fire up Radiant.

3. Create a brush that is the size and shape of the water you want.

4. Using shift+click, select the entire brush.

5. Load the "common" texture set by choosing "common" from the textures menu.

6. With the brush still selected, apply the caulk_water shader to the entire brush.

7. Hit escape to deselect everything.

8. Using ctrl+shift+click, select the top surface of the brush. Only select the surface, not the entire brush.

9. Texture this surface with the bespin/water2 shader.

10. Using ctrl+shift+click, select the bottom surface of the brush. Only select the surface, not the entire brush.

11. Texture this surface with the bespin/water2 shader.

12. Compile, and that's all there is to it.
 tFighterPilot
08-06-2003, 8:45 PM
No question is retarded. (Some are, but never the ones that have such a title)
 JerAir
08-07-2003, 1:16 PM
thanks!
 lauser
08-08-2003, 7:07 AM
rgoer, where did you come up with that stuff and what will it do? Fix bespin water_1 or I guess this is a seperate water shader?

Anyhow I'll check it out and let you know. Thanks
 JerAir
08-08-2003, 12:28 PM
If anyone knows how to do it exactly in jk2radiant, let me know.
 rgoer
08-08-2003, 2:37 PM
The caulk_water part is a fix for a long-standing Radiant bug. RD's tutorial mentions using regular system/caulk for the sides of your water brushes--most people use system/nodraw instead--but sometimes, if you do it that way, your water will fail at compile time. You'll get weird, unpredictable errors; sometimes you'll have a normal looking surface of water but it's just "air" underneath, sometimes you'll have working "water" but the texture doesn't appear on the top, et cetera. This happens because surface order isn't preserved when .map files are saved--the "first" surface of a brush you want to be a "water" brush must be a "surfaceparm water" surface, or else you get errors. Well, neither system/caulk or system/nodraw have "surfparms water" in them (I mean, why would they? That's not what they're for), so if one of the caulk or nodraw surfaces gets saved as the "first" surface of your water brush, then you're screwed at compile time. This is especially annoying since there is no way to accurately predict what the "first" surface of a brush is going to be.

To fix this, you can apply a "surfaceparm water" shader to ALL sides of your brush--that way, there is no way the "first" surface will not be a water surface. However, since you still want it to behave like caulk or nodraw, that's why it's got the "nodraw nonsolid trans" parms as well.
 JerAir
08-08-2003, 2:58 PM
thanks again!
Page: 1 of 1