Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A little birdie told me that jedi academy is much, much better then jedi outcast

Page: 1 of 1
 Lach
08-02-2003, 6:07 PM
A little birdie said that Jedi Outcast suffered from "find the key to the next area" syndrome, where much of the game boils down to runnign around to find a key to the next area..... the little birdie in question said that amoung academie's many strong points, it has inventive and creative missions.
 Thazac
08-02-2003, 6:29 PM
Next time you hear that little bide, try to find it and shoot it. While it is nice it gives you ideas about JA it may lead you down tha dark side. Enough people have already made the mistake of listening to voices/other people
 Lach
08-02-2003, 7:31 PM
*force pulls the little birdie then stabs it in the face with a lightsaber*:D
 taekwondo joe
08-02-2003, 7:34 PM
duh its better, better badies, better weapons, better vehicles, better levles, better star wars feel, better charictors that show and make you go, AHHH he/she is in it!!! although lando was tight
 Wesia Daoke
08-02-2003, 8:06 PM
but im gonna have to tell u GET OFF THE DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!
 boinga1
08-02-2003, 8:55 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
duh its better, better badies, better weapons, better vehicles, better levles, better star wars feel, better charictors that show and make you go, AHHH he/she is in it!!! although lando was tight

How can you really know if the 'badies', the 'charictors', or the 'star wars feel' is better without having played the game? Although I do agree that JA will probably be better (in most respects) than JO.
 Lach
08-02-2003, 10:55 PM
In the original JO a large effort had to be put into developing the engine.

In JA the engine was already there, so more emphasis could be put on actual gameplay.
 Lightsaberboy
08-03-2003, 1:43 AM
but didnt jk2 use the q3 engine?
 Wesia Daoke
08-03-2003, 1:43 AM
i didnt think it did.
 taekwondo joe
08-03-2003, 1:48 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
How can you really know if the 'badies', the 'charictors', or the 'star wars feel' is better without having played the game? Although I do agree that JA will probably be better (in most respects) than JO. sevril and i mean sevril "blue birds" told me, and showed me screen shots, and i got that vid that every one else does, so yeah, i know, although i will save the exspiriance for when it comes out, if ya know what i mean
 StormHammer
08-03-2003, 2:41 AM
Originally posted by Lightsaberboy
but didnt jk2 use the q3 engine?

Yes, the Quake 3 Arena engine is at the heart of Jedi Outcast. However, Raven added a great many of their own improvements to that engine, in games that preceded Jedi Outcast, and they obviously had to tweak the engine even further to allow for the appropriate game mechanics. So the engine they are using has changed a great deal from the basic Q3A.

For Jedi Academy, they have made even more improvements, and no doubt optimisations, but the underlying core is still Q3A with Raven's previous modifications, like Ghoul 2, Icarus 2, and the Arioche terrain system, among others. Some of these have been ported over from Raven's other Q3A game Soldier Of Fortune 2 and tweaked for the game mechanics of Jedi Academy.

So it is a fair bet that there has been more time to spend on developing game content, rather than adding even more building blocks to the engine. The development team has probably also been able to get more out of the engine, due to their long-term familiarity with it. I seem to recall in one of the earlier interviews they said that something that before had taken them days to accomplish in Jedi Outcast, now took only a few hours to do in Jedi Academy. So although it seems like another fast-track development, the skillset and streamlining within the development team has obviously improved considerably.
 toms
08-04-2003, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by Lach
.. the little birdie in question said that amoung academie's many strong points, it has inventive and creative missions.

i really hope the little birdie was right (before his untimely death)

im starting to think JA might be the game ithought JO would be. :D
 Sargasso
08-04-2003, 3:06 PM
Originally posted by toms
i really hope the little birdie was right (before his untimely death)

im starting to think JA might be the game ithought JO would be. :D

i'm with you there
 taekwondo joe
08-04-2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by Sargasso
i'm with you there i third that
 HaruGlory89
08-11-2003, 12:00 AM
We'd better not hope for too much, we'll regret it. Log time ago, I was so darn crazy about Age of Mythology and I could memorize all the units and buildings before it even came out. When it was released, however, it didn't live up to my expectations.

We shouldn't hope too much...
Page: 1 of 1