Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What race will you play as?

Page: 2 of 2
 Kurgan
08-08-2003, 4:12 AM
Speaking of multiplayer, we will have much more variety in choosing our skins (I hope) as in the previous games. However, JK and MotS allowed a variety of skins that were not available in SP. JK2 I think made a big mistake by only including skins from SP.

I hope they don't use the same lame excuse that "dead characters" can't be in SP. The fact that Chewbacca is alive indicates this isn't taking the NJO timeline into account (or occurs before) at least. I hope we get an OBSCENE number of "character" skins to choose from, not just a dozen outfits for the SP characters.

I bet you anything there won't be a Veamon from JK/MotS (gray skinned bald humanoid alien) but if there was, I'd play as him again.

Otherwise, probably some non-human or guy in a mask or helmet of some sort. I haven't decided about SP yet.
 Kurgan
08-08-2003, 4:58 AM
But theres something weird, the jk3 kyle looks the same.

He used the Dark Side to stop himself from aging. ; )
 Crow_Nest
08-08-2003, 8:22 AM
I never thought of that.:D
 Crow_Nest
08-08-2003, 1:24 PM
But Palpatine was a clone of Darth sidous.
 Prime
08-08-2003, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Speaking of multiplayer, we will have much more variety in choosing our skins (I hope) as in the previous games. Well, since you can use your SP character in MP, that means there are already 2000+ combinations in addition to the other skins (reborn, kyle, luke, etc.).

Originally posted by crow_nest
But Palpatine was a clone of Darth sidous. Where did you get that? I think it has been pretty clearly established by Lucas on the Ep. 1 commentary that Sidious is Palpatine. For starters, from the DVD (http://www.episode-x.com/episode3/lucassays/sidiouspalpatine.shtml):

"GL: Introducing Darth Sidious as a hologram was the way he was introduced in Empire Strikes Back, which was the way we actually saw him in the first three films, so I thought it appropriate to keep that thematic device going so that we only know him as a hologram and not actually deal with him, except in one small scene as a real person, because I did want to make sure you knew that he wasn't just a hologram. Make him sort of flesh and blood.

Why would Sidious be a clone?
 Crow_Nest
08-08-2003, 2:49 PM
I read it somewhere, in the comic series, palptine was a clone of sidious.
 SettingShadow
08-08-2003, 8:48 PM
That's just ridicolous. Also, comics = EU.
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 10:08 PM
EU? Expanded Universe? And yeah, I thought Palpatine = Darth Sidous. The Darkside clouds everything... :D
 TK-8252
08-10-2003, 4:55 AM
Rodian all the way!! :rodian:
 Kurgan
08-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Dark side doesn't stop you from aging, it ages you, I think. Look at Palpatine, he's barely even 60 and he looks like ****

I think...

I was thinking more along the lines of the "sell your soul to the devil for eternal youth" thing, but perhaps Palpy just wasn't that vain...

Anyway, how old is Palpy supposed to be when we first see him in TPM? Ten years passes before we see him again in AOTC. Then another 21-23 years pass before he appears as the wizened Emperor (though of course that isn't Ian McDirmid playing him in ESB, but you get the point). If he was 40s in TPM, he'd be in his 70's by the time of the classic trilogy, 80's if he was 50 at the time of his election to the Chancellary. Some people just don't age as gracefully as others.
 The Cheat
08-15-2003, 2:20 AM
kel dor probably for me

btw, does anybody think it will be possible for modders to add more species to sp or choices for existing species like different clothing, i wouldnt think it would be to hard to make a mod to do that, make a base model and make a bunch of skins for it, how hard could that be but what do i know
 STTCT
08-15-2003, 6:22 AM
Since I'm female, I'm going to choose a female char. Does anyone have anymore screenshoots of the female characters?
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:07 PM
Someone wanted a 'what species' thread, so I figured I resurrect this one.

With the light/medium/heavy starting stance depending on species, has your decision changed?

I'll start as a human male ... or maybe a Rodian ... but then the Kel-Dor looks cool ... ah, well, I figured multiple playthroughs anyway ... ;)

Mike
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
With the light/medium/heavy starting stance depending on species, has your decision changed?

Mike

Nope. I'm still playing Twi'lek female first time through. I'm actually glad it's medium stance for that race, too. :)

And STTCT, here are the close-ups from the updated official site for some of the female characters...

Human Female

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/FemaleHuman.jpg)

Zabrak Female

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/FemaleZabrak.jpg)

Twi'lek Female

http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/FemaleTwilek.jpg)

:)
 SettingShadow
08-22-2003, 5:06 PM
I haven't changed my mind, I'm still gonna be a Rodian, also it doesn't hurt that Light and Medium is my favorite stances (and Rodian starts with Light). :D
 Pedro The Hutt
08-22-2003, 7:16 PM
I'm not sure really ,might be making my human Jedi alter-ego, might go with something else, I'll probably spend alot of time in the character creation screen lol. I'm a horrible chooser.
 ninja
08-22-2003, 9:09 PM
i think i'm going to play every single one. but i think i'll start off as the rodian race.

i also have a question, i know that we can put some mod's in the game thats from jedi knight 2. but i'm wondering about the single player mods. can i play as boba fett? or darth maul? how does that work out since the single player mod replaces the kyle model for a new one? whats the default player since theres more than one?
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 9:32 PM
For those questions about MP only...I just had another careful scan through the second trailer that was released.

In the timefram of about 1:09 into the footage, you can clearly see the leader icon at the top...and it shows 'Desann'. So I guess you can count on the return of the Kowakian Monkey-Lizard. :p This could bode well for at least some of the skins from JO being present in JA. Also, in one of the recent screenshots that shows MP play...there is someone on a swoop bike who looks a lot like Lando.

Also...at about the 1:06 timeframe...in the top left corner it says that 'Tusken Raider died'. If I was to hazard a guess at that being the default name for a bot model, then it looks like the Tusken Raider skin is also selectable in MP.

I guess we'll still have to wait to see the exact number and type of skins offered by default...
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 5:14 AM
Excellent detective work Stormy!

I wonder how it will be if we did choose to play as Desann? Could I be a green skinned Desann? Could I put him in a different outfit? ; )

As far as Single Player mod replacements, I figure what you'd do is find out what models each "species" uses, and then you could replace those. Say for example, you replace the Rodian with Darth Vader.

Thus when you choose "Rodian Male" in the character select screen, you would be playing as Darth Vader.

That would seem like the logical way to do it, until we figure out how to add our own species...
 TK-8252
08-23-2003, 5:20 AM
How many posts is that? LOL!
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 5:41 AM
LoL.. 16.. a new record! I hit the "submit" button and let it go... it sat there for several minutes it seems, then crashed. So I gave up and hit it again. Tried two more times. Gave up...

BIG MISTAKE!

*gets mop and bucket to clean up*
 BobaFett123456
08-24-2003, 4:21 AM
:fett: I'll be a Human the first time around..:cool: But in multiplayer I'll be Boba Fett!!!!!!! (Yes I am on of those Boba Fett Worshipers!) and he'll own all you jedi worshiper in siege!!:) :fett:
 Kurgan
08-24-2003, 8:07 AM
Well, I guess it was inevitable that Fett would be playable in MP. I suppose they followed their policy of JK2 which was to only make playable characters that appeared in SP.

So they used any excuse to fit Fett in so he'd be an MP character. Fine by me...

Not bad for a dead guy!
 Atlas
08-24-2003, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan

As far as Single Player mod replacements, I figure what you'd do is find out what models each "species" uses, and then you could replace those. Say for example, you replace the Rodian with Darth Vader.

Thus when you choose "Rodian Male" in the character select screen, you would be playing as Darth Vader.

That would seem like the logical way to do it, until we figure out how to add our own species...

I'd be led to think that each species has it's own separate folder etc with its own variations, and you might be able to just Pop another one in and it might work. I dunno, I'll be sweating over this one the moment I'm done installing the game in a month :D
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Atlas
I'd be led to think that each species has it's own separate folder etc with its own variations, and you might be able to just Pop another one in and it might work. I dunno, I'll be sweating over this one the moment I'm done installing the game in a month :D

That would make more sense to me, considering they said you would be able to do that for lightsaber hilts. I seem to recall they said it would be similar for the skins as well (i.e., clothing), so I don't see why they wouldn't make it possible for new models.

As you say, we'll have to wait and see.
 Dr_night
08-24-2003, 8:40 PM
i don't wanna be a female, but i love zabraks, what am i to do? :darth: :maul:
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 9:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr_night
i don't wanna be a female, but i love zabraks, what am i to do? :darth: :maul:

Hope that someone makes a mod for a male Zabrak - and given the wealth of feeling on this issue, I think the chances of that are rather high.

And the more I look at the character creation footage on the official site, the more it seems your character is simply put together like a number of lego bricks - one for the head, one for the torso and one for the legs. It looks like they've simply taken Ghoul to the extreme - instead of bolting sunglasses onto a model...you bolt on a different 'look' to the basic head, and simply revamp the skins and/or tweak the models for the basic torso and legs...

So it should be a relatively simple task to 'replace the building blocks' with whatever you desire (as long as it fits whatever format Raven is using).

So for a male Zabrak, all you really need is horns instead of hair for the male human head to make it into a Zabrak version, and a tweaked male torso. Male legs are legs, whatever your species.
 boinga1
08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Well...back to the races...I think I've said I'll play human male. However, I'm considering playing Zabrak, simply because virtually NO ONE seems to want to, and because the only screenshot I've seen of it is the model on www.swjediacademy.com).
Page: 2 of 2