Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A problem that happened in my game...

Page: 1 of 1
 woodenstool
08-01-2003, 5:28 AM
I'm just at the very first area of year 3 (on deck on the ship) and I step into the cabin. Then the game pretty much just freezes. The light on the CD-ROM drive is blinking and there are very short blasts of sound, but I can't move (the visuals are completely frozen). I can see all my crew members sprouted and somebody just around the corner holding a gun.

I just want to know if anyone else has this same problem, or if it's just MY computer. I've attempted to reload it like ten times and I leave it on for 15 minutes at a time, but to no prevail. Is there any way I can fix this? The game had been working fine before.
 pleto4_ryan
08-01-2003, 5:58 AM
used any of the patches...?

go to "game help" directorie of the forum...you will find mucho help...;)
 Thrik
08-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Firstly, this is the wrong forum. I've moved it for you but please take more care in future. With that said..

I had this same problem on Year 2.

Basically, one of the files on my CD had become corrupted due to a scratch or something on the CD. This resulted in the game not being able to read it while playing, thus it constantly struggling to read the CD but not actually getting anywhere.

To find out which file is corrupted, open up your Grim Fandango directory. Now, copy every file from your data directory on the CD into the one on your hard-drive. If you have indeed got a corrupted file, one of them won't copy across. Once you've found out which file it is, you can take some steps to replace that file such as borrowing a friend's GF cd and copying it from there.

As a side note, if you copy every single file on both CDs into your data directory, you can run the game without having to put the CDs into the drive. This will increase how fast scenes load and such, so I recommend it.
 scabb
08-01-2003, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Thrik
As a side note, if you copy every single file on both CDs into your data directory, you can run the game without having to put the CDs into the drive. This will increase how fast scenes load and such, so I recommend it.

Yes, to do so, see here (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29995)

If that fails, you can always try a save game - I have a bunch, I'm not sure if Thrik's put them up on the GFN yet though. Just email me if you want one.

scabb @ dsl.pipex.com
Page: 1 of 1