Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please Read This Thread

Page: 1 of 1
 Rodian Crimelor
07-23-2003, 11:28 PM
I think this is possibly the most dissapointing moments of my life. Im am a huge fan of Star Wars, I practically worships george Lucas' master sci-fi universe. I have been waiting for this game ever since this website came out. The idea of having a game where you would be able to view and even take part in the greastest story of all time. I imagined this game would be full of lightsabering, blaster drawing, gunslinging, space traveling, force powered action. I pictured huge battles, pc crimelords with huge estates and state of the art ships used for their smuggling missions. I thought that this would be one of the greatest games of all time... man was I wrong...

To begin the game requires a monthly fee of $15 bucks!? You could almost purchase internet acces for that! That wouldn't be so bad if of the game didn't cost more than a normal game such as Warcraft 3. Everquest costs only $20 dollars and has a monthly fee of $10 dollars. That means that Everquest (a great game) costs only $150 while Star Wars Galaxies ( a horrible game) costs $246.88! $246.88! That means that your paying almost $100 dollars extra for a really dismal game than you would for a really good game. Does it need anymore explaining. If you thought that was bad than wait till I actually talk about the game!

When most people think of starwars they think of Jedi (or Luke or Vader but they are jedi) so wouldn't it make sense to include jedi as a major feature in the game. As far as most people know Jedi dont even exist (do they? ive never acually seen any trace of the Jedi) some people may have but have not seen a jedi robe, lightsabers, jedi npc's, jedi trainers, jedi acadamies, jedi pc's, or force powers. They are also not metioned in the official guide or game manual. Are they even around? Maybe no one has opened thre force sensitiveity slot but does anyone even know how that is done?

Star Wars is based on Conflict between Good and Evil, that is the where most of the exitement comes from. Then why is it that there is almost no conflict, well, conflict that matters. There is almost no PvP there is almost as little of that as there is exitement (no pun intended) the only way to join in player vs player combat is to a) duel b)join in the galactic civil war or c) join in a PA and have PA wars. Lets look at point A, Dueling. About 90% percent of times that people challenge another player to a duel they dont get an answer. Only about 5% of the time do people actually accept the duel and then as soon as they start to lose they will either run or temporarily log off. So choice A is out of the question. Choice B is Galactic Civil War. Even to join in the civil war is a challenge. You must gain 200 faction points for one side. You gain these by doing missions for your chosen faction. You get on avereage 12 points for each mission that means about 17 missions. That is ALOT of time. Once you finnaly join the side of your choice you are aloud to kill as many opposing faction members as you want YEEEEEHAAAA finnaly some PvP. Wrong, On the rare occasion that you acctually meet some one of the opposing faction it is usually a small skirmish of only 4 people at the most. There is alot of talk of Battle Grounds but were are these things. They may be as real as the Jedi. So next to point C) PA's. PA's are a joke they are people that create a website that is about a faction based on a fictional concept of PvP. Each PA probobly has only about 4 members thats sad. On top of that in order to have these gang wars each side of the conflict must agree on the fighting. Couldn't the makers just do a little extra work and create some PvP servers were you could declare your self hostile so everyone could have fun. A simce there is no PvP you are forced to kill animals and Farmers.

I have alot more to say about this game but my hands are getting tired.

Please dont take this offensively this is just a Star Wars Fans Opinion.
 Darknightmare
07-24-2003, 3:15 AM
You r one sad person, let me tell you. The game has been out, what, a few weeks and you r complaining about no PvP. Thats because everyone is working on getting as much exp as possible while running around and making cash and living their own lives. BTW PAs are no joke. The PA I am in r almost 50 strong and once we get the cash to make our PA hall and keep it up we will get more. Right now every one r like infants giving a WHOLE GALAXY to explore! That takes time. BTW since your r such a big fan of Star Wars then you must understand why Jedi r going to be limited ingame and why they r kept in the dark. During the time period of The Galatic Civil War, there r only like 5 or 6 jedi in the Universe. Why? Because they were wiped out! Duh!!
And about the money thing, what good it money anyways if you don't use it for somthing! I am still in college, paying rent, buying food, going out with my grilfriend, and I still pay the fee. And next time you go to the server screen look at all the full servers. Looks like you may be the rare person who really worries about the fee.
I have to say that this is a very offensive psot indeed, even if this is your opinion. You posted this statement on a SWG FAN SITE!! It's like me going to a Jewish Temple and telling them I believed the Nazi were right in killing the Jews(BTW i am a Jew, so this would never happen) because it was my opinion. Freedom of Speech does not mean you HAVE to vocalize you opinions in the company of people who might be offended by it. You have the right, but use it wisly. If you don't want to offend people then keep it to yourself or tell a close friend.
 Rodian Crimelor
07-24-2003, 10:30 PM
I appreciate your thought provoking reply. I am only posting this to see if there is anyone else who might have the same opinions as I. :jawa
 Darknightmare
07-24-2003, 10:38 PM
I will agree with you on a few things. I am sorry to sound so anrgy but this site has had a few problems with people just posting horrible things! I am not trying to make you unwelcome, just making sure you arn't one of those types :D
 Just Darth
07-26-2003, 8:40 AM
I agree with some of the points raised, but I still enjoy the game.

I think Jedis should be rare. If you want to be a Jedi, play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. There's an online PvP component to that game.

However, this game is expensive and still incomplete. I chatted with one of the beta testers who went by the handle Rox Mox. His criticism was that the game called itself Star Wars, but you couldn't travel among the stars and there weren't any wars going on. Even in the promo videos you don't see rebels and stormtroopers fighting it out, which occured in the first scene of the first Star Wars movie back in 1977.

I understand that a lot of features will be implemented, but making people pay for the space expansion is ridiculous... I mean the title is STAR wars GALAXIES!!!! Two thirds of the title refers to space. Still, I am having fun (so far) and I will continue to play.
 Jan Gaarni
07-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Consider this, Just Darth:

The game is 10 times the size of EverQuest (all of Norath atleast) ... in it's current state! Yet it costs nomore than EQ when it first launched in it's time.
Once the Space Expansion comes out, it will be atleast 10 times EverQuest again, a total of 20 times the size of EverQuest. There will be starships, spacestations, new planets, new species, new this, new that ...... and you don't think this will cost them to produce?

I'm glad they split it up into 2 payable games so to speak.
This game is so freakin' huge it would cost us twice the amount if they launched the 2 together anyways. And by doing it like this it means once the Space Expansion does come out, there is noone forcing you to buy it but yourself. If you choose not to buy it, you will still be able to play the game.
 Osirus Messiah
08-19-2003, 5:09 PM
its the best mmorpg ive ever played... and ive a pretty extensive background. This game is mad fun. I wouldnt want jedis everywhere anyway. Would be imbalanced.

And the game will keep improving. Get what you can out of it right now and enjoy the improvments as they come out. Increased content, speeders, ships, new dungeons and planets... etc.

Wish they would fix the multiple class bugs quicker though... :(
Would make me feel better about the 15 bucks.
 chimpuat
08-19-2003, 7:52 PM
crimelor, as a fellow star wars fan, i respect your opinion, but i disagree with it. here's why...

i hear a lot of people complain about the cost of the game ($40 to $50, unless you're a total SW freak and bought the collectors edition), and the fact that on top of that full game price, you have to pay an additional $15 a month to play.

i was one of those people, before i started playing this game.

pay $15 a month to play a game? no way! never! not me!

well, duh, obviously i'm doing it, and i finally understand not only the value i get for my money, but some of the reasons why i pay.

entertainment, in any form, costs money. i'm married with our first child on the way, so we can't afford to go out to movies or things like that anymore. so, we both have our interests, and my entertainment budget is SWG. i don't go out with my friends, i don't rent movies just for the heck of it, or anything like that. i made the decision that, for right now, this is my hobby and this is what i want to spend my money on.

as for what i'm paying for...well, just about every other day, the devs are hot-fixing or patching exploits, or doing whatever, and my $15 goes toward making that possible. i mean, i used to play diablo2 all the time, but look how long it took between patch 1.09 and patch 1.10 (if you ever played, you know what i mean). i'm paying the salaries of people who are devoted to fixing issues and creating new content.

on the subject of diablo2, and other games that let you play online for free, how many of them have been ruined by cheating? in every game, there is a small minority of people who find a way to hack or beat the system. by paying $15 a month, i'm working to secure my ability to play on an even playing field with everyone else. sure, there are exploits, and people use them as long as they can, but when the devs find out, they work to stop it.

finally, i'm paying for bandwidth and server upkeep. i run my own website design and hosting business, and i know what it costs, and for them to have THOUSANDS of players...sure they make a profit, but servers cost money, and bandwidth isn't anywhere near free.

so, if you look at it that way, i'm paying $15 a month for virtually unlimited entertainment, competent tech support (despite what some people say, i think the devs are doing pretty good), secure playing environment, and fast servers with good stability.

i also disagree with thinking 'jedi' when i think star wars. i think conflict, yeah, good vs evil, but from what i can tell, that's in the game. i've got my faction missions, i've got a plan for the future, and i look forward to helping fight the galactic civil war.

the rebels were losing the war, until the defeat of the death star, which seemed to rally support for the rebellion. so, based on the timeframe this game takes place in, jedi are almost all but wiped out. that was the old republic, and vader was responsible for finishing them off. remember? why would you make the game so EVERYONE gets to be a jedi? personally, i think it should be so rare as to be almost impossible to achieve. as far as the movies go, at this point in the story, there are only 2 jedi (luke and possibly leia), yoda is almost dead and hiding out on dagobah, obi wan came out of hiding and got killed, so luke is under the impression that he's the last one.

the fact that there are NPC 'dark jedi' kind of screws up the story for me, but i haven't encountered one yet, so i'm not too worried about it. i don't know enough about them to understand how they're supposed to fit in, so if someone knows, please enlighten me.

as far as PvP and PA's being a joke, or poorly implemented, i'll have to join in with the 'hey the game is only 2 months old' crowd. MOST players are still too weak/undeveloped to feel comfortable being overt faction members, and most don't want to duel, for the exact same reason. what fun is it if you're a novice marksman with nothing higher than advanced in any category, and some guy with no job who plays 20 hours a day duels you and kills you, because he's 'elite'?

as more people's characters mature, and reach the level where they can take care of themselves in a fight, i think you'll see more PvP.

i know you're frustrated, but if all you cared about was PvP in the star wars universe, get jedi outcast or something like that. i had a lot of fun playing that, and choosing which force powers to equip my character with, etc. this game is more about living a virtual life in a galaxy far, far away...and not so much about killing every guy you walk past. in the star wars universe, that kinda behavior would get you in hot water with the stormtroopers (remember their interest in han solo after the fight with greedo?).

i was 8 years old in 1977, and stood in line for 2 hours to see star wars...so, for me, this game delivers on some dreams i've been sitting on for over 25 years.
 Just Darth
08-28-2003, 11:26 AM
OK, it's been a month since I posted to this thread, but I just got around to reading Jan Gaarni's reply.

OK, so it's a helluva lot bigger than EQ. Big Whoop. That's not what the thread was about. The thread was started by a Star Wars/George Lucas fan who didn't feel like this game was true to the original trilogy (except that Jedi are rare). I agreed with that fan, though the Galactic Civil War is starting to heat up A LITTLE.

So the devs have made promises about the Space Expansion. Again I say Big Whoop. I've heard promises. I've heard promises broken. Still no Stars and no galaxyies in Star Wars Galaxies.

Chimpuat: I agree that it is worth paying money to fend off cheaters. I used to love Counter-Strike until all the cheats around beta 8. However, exploits for this game are being discovered everyday. Look at the dupe exploit, the server boundary exploits, etc. The devs are finding them and dealing with them, but they shouldn't even be there in the first place if this game had been more thoroughly beta tested.
 -=ReApEr=-
08-28-2003, 11:46 AM
You just don't get it, you want to see stars. Look through a telescope. And for wars. i'm in plenty of them, on anchorhead hunting rebels and having them hunt me. :)

You don't like it you know where to go..
 Jan Gaarni
08-28-2003, 3:33 PM
So the devs have made promises about the Space Expansion. Again I say Big Whoop. I've heard promises. I've heard promises broken. Still no Stars and no galaxyies in Star Wars Galaxies.
Space in Star Wars Galaxies has never ever been planned to follow in the initial release.
Anyone who has followed the games development has known this from day one. It's comming out maybe a year after the intitial release. That's earliest end of next summer.

You want wars?
You should have tried Anchorhead, or Moenia last night. I hear they both got attacked by Imperials, more or less at the same time, but nothing confirmed on Moenia yet though. Anchorhead was attacked, however.
(this was on Starsider by the way. :D )
 Randon_Star
09-02-2003, 6:26 PM
i just started and i have to say its confusing and it seems ill never get anywhere but if i give it a month ill be good u just gotta have patience its an awsome game
 Gershin
09-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm new to this site. However, on all the sites I've been on prior to this one, the main thing people liked was a good broken down response to someone's post. So, here it is....

"I think this is possibly the most dissapointing moments of my life."

Then you've lead a wonderful life.

"Im am a huge fan of Star Wars, I practically worships george Lucas' master sci-fi universe. I have been waiting for this game ever since this website came out. The idea of having a game where you would be able to view and even take part in the greastest story of all time. I imagined this game would be full of lightsabering, blaster drawing, gunslinging, space traveling, force powered action. I pictured huge battles, pc crimelords with huge estates and state of the art ships used for their smuggling missions. I thought that this would be one of the greatest games of all time... man was I wrong..."

This game is far from completed. Plus, a lot of the things you just mentioned are either A. Already in the game, or B. Going to be integrated at a later date and time.

"To begin the game requires a monthly fee of $15 bucks!? You could almost purchase internet acces for that!"

If you go with a really crappy provider, you bet you can get I-net access for that. I've played quite a few other games that cost just as much if not more than SWG does and were not even half the quality.

"That wouldn't be so bad if of the game didn't cost more than a normal game such as Warcraft 3."

You aren't seriously trying to compare Warcraft III to SWG are you? Please tell me he didn't just say that.

"Everquest costs only $20 dollars and has a monthly fee of $10 dollars."

My poor young misguided friend. You don't think EQ cost this much when it first came out? EQ's been out forever, THAT's why it's so cheap to buy now.

"That means that Everquest (a great game) costs only $150 while Star Wars Galaxies ( a horrible game) costs $246.88! $246.88! That means that your paying almost $100 dollars extra for a really dismal game than you would for a really good game. Does it need anymore explaining. If you thought that was bad than wait till I actually talk about the game!"

You sure you aren't just a hardcore EQ gamer that's losing all his friends to SWG and is disgruntled so you're making a post flaming the game in hopes that some of your friends will return or that some new faces will arise? Even if you are, I don't think too many people will be retarded enough to listen to this gibberish.....which is all this post has been so far.

"When most people think of starwars they think of Jedi (or Luke or Vader but they are jedi) so wouldn't it make sense to include jedi as a major feature in the game. As far as most people know Jedi dont even exist (do they? ive never acually seen any trace of the Jedi) some people may have but have not seen a jedi robe, lightsabers, jedi npc's, jedi trainers, jedi acadamies, jedi pc's, or force powers. They are also not metioned in the official guide or game manual. Are they even around? Maybe no one has opened thre force sensitiveity slot but does anyone even know how that is done? "

Have you even watched these movies? Of course you don't see Jedi NPC's, trainders, academies, PC's etc....If you had seen the movies you would know that Vader made it his mission to eliminate all Jedi. Very successfully might I add. Only Obi-Wan and Yoda remain(as well as Luke)...and maybe a select few the movie didn't feel the need to bring into the storyline. Even still, they aren't going to be wide out in the open. Jedi are in hiding now. The Empire and, more importantly, Vader are out to kill them all. As for your other question, No. There are no Player Character Jedi's yet....at least not to my knowledge. They are going to be very selective in the choice process of who becomes a jedi and who doesn't. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see thousands of Jedi running around my server. I don't even want to see hundreds of them. I don't even want to see 50 Jedi and hundreds of FS chars. Jedi are almost dead. That means very few are left. Also, no one knows how to open it. That's the whole point. If there was some special way to open it that everyone could do. Then, eventually, some idiot would learn it and blab it to everyone. It will come with time to people who have earned it in one way or another. Out of the people who they feel have earned the right to become Jedi...or at least have a FS slot. They will select a small group of them....they will be your future Jedi. I can only hope to be one of the chosen few.

"Star Wars is based on Conflict between Good and Evil, that is the where most of the exitement comes from. Then why is it that there is almost no conflict, well, conflict that matters. There is almost no PvP"

You sure you've played this game?

"there is almost as little of that as there is exitement (no pun intended) the only way to join in player vs player combat is to a) duel b)join in the galactic civil war or c) join in a PA and have PA wars."

Sounds like you have a lot of options if you ask me....

"Lets look at point A, Dueling. About 90% percent of times that people challenge another player to a duel they dont get an answer. Only about 5% of the time do people actually accept the duel and then as soon as they start to lose they will either run or temporarily log off. So choice A is out of the question."

I agree, a lot of the times people don't accept duels. However, that's normally because there's an Expert Bounty Hunter challenging an Apprentice Gunslinger to a duel. Hardly any of the people picking fights pick one with someone who might actually smoke check them. As far as LD'n before the duel is completed...they're working on fixing that now.

"Choice B is Galactic Civil War. Even to join in the civil war is a challenge. You must gain 200 faction points for one side. You gain these by doing missions for your chosen faction. You get on avereage 12 points for each mission that means about 17 missions."

It only takes a couple hours....considering all the perks you're walking into...PvP and Gameplay wise...I don't think that's too much to ask. Sounds like you just want everything handed to you on a silver platter.

"That is ALOT of time. Once you finnaly join the side of your choice you are aloud to kill as many opposing faction members as you want YEEEEEHAAAA finnaly some PvP. Wrong, On the rare occasion that you acctually meet some one of the opposing faction it is usually a small skirmish of only 4 people at the most."

Well, I don't know about other servers, but on my server(Wanderhome) the faction PvP is constant and ongoing. About a week ago my Cousin, myself, and 2 friends led the largest raid the Wanderhome Server has seen yet. We raided Anchorhead with about 110-120 imperials. That's not including pets and the 6-7 AT-ST's. We dominated the rebels for almost 3 1/2-4 hours. Eventually, the word had spread to enough rebels to the point where they almost doubled our numbers and people started screaming "You're going to make the server crash!" Trust me, Faction PvP is there, you just have to know where to look.

"There is alot of talk of Battle Grounds but were are these things. They may be as real as the Jedi."

Both are real....all you need is to find a friend with the coords...and you can easily find battlegrounds. I myself only know of one, but I don't frequent battlegrounds yet. I'm more focused on raids and defense against raids for right now.

"So next to point C) PA's. PA's are a joke they are people that create a website that is about a faction based on a fictional concept of PvP. Each PA probobly has only about 4 members thats sad. On top of that in order to have these gang wars each side of the conflict must agree on the fighting."

Most of the PA's on our server range from 20-50 members. TCON has over 100. I don't know what you're talking about....and I don't think you do either.

"Couldn't the makers just do a little extra work and create some PvP servers were you could declare your self hostile so everyone could have fun. A simce there is no PvP you are forced to kill animals and Farmers. "

That was a very stupid comment.

"I have alot more to say about this game but my hands are getting tired."

Next time you talk about the game....play it for awhile...then come back with some valid statements.

"Please dont take this offensively this is just a Star Wars Fans Opinion."

I haven't taken offense to any of this....I just hate it when people do a horrible job on critiquing a game when they've obviously not spent very much time playing it.

Good'day
 Randon_Star
09-05-2003, 2:06 AM
"110-120 imperials and twice as many rebels"
i agree with everything u said except for this thats allot of people
 Gershin
09-05-2003, 2:11 PM
Well, I can see why you might have a hard time believing that. Rest assured, it's true. You can ask anyone on the Wanderhome server. If they were an Imperial...they got an e-mail about the raid....if they were a rebel, I'm sure they heard about it. That leaves a lot of neutrals that weren't involved. However, from what I can tell a large number of neutrals know about it too. The only bad thing is gonna be when they start allowing player Bounties. My cousin(Mosheh)'s name has galactic fame(at least with imperials) because of it. My name has pretty good fame because of it...and because of the defensive strategy I used one night in Bestine, but i'll keep that to myself and my fellow imperials ;) Righ and Mazz are pretty well known now because of it too. So, I'm sure we'll have quite a few BH's coming for us. That's okay though, we say bring em :D if you know anyone on Wanderhome, ask them about it. They probably have heard about it. If you know anyone in VVV they definitely know about it. I think the entire guild was there, lol.
Page: 1 of 1