Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do u guys think of this?!?!

Page: 1 of 1
 Blademaster_109
07-09-2003, 2:19 AM
Look at what i got from another forum:

Jedi knight Wakyo

Information
Favorite game(s): jk 2, day of defeat, and Halo

Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_Kat
I'm sorry to agree with Obi, Deridex, they are just saying this because September is in Autumn and that's all. They are just making us become even more impatient. Most of us belive it'll come out around christmas. So don't be overjoyed yet

Dude! ur crazy. It has too come out before chirstmas. If you have read everything that LEC has given to the public all they have left really are cut scenes and to fix some bugs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

7th July 2003 23:12

Swat_Kat

2nd Class Petty Officer

Information
Favorite game(s):

I'm not crazy "Dude" because I know how marketing goes. And a game of this amplitude and greatness will NOT be released anytime during Autumn, unless lucasarts have more heart that I think they have.

If they go the same way as most companys, then they'll release it during the Xmas holidays. But I cold be wrong, but I'm not placing my hopes in their estimates personaly.

Do u guys think that it will be delayed?
 Taran'atar
07-09-2003, 3:26 AM
Wouldn't be surprised.
 Lil Killa
07-09-2003, 3:31 AM
i don't think that "noob" knows what he's talking about.
 Emon
07-09-2003, 3:34 AM
Try to tell Valve HL2 isn't going to sell better than any other game this year, and they are releasing it in September.
 Prime
07-09-2003, 2:20 PM
I am under the impression that JA will be released in November sometime, which is still in the Fall.
 JEDI OUTCAST
07-09-2003, 3:33 PM
i have seen a date that says. pc 09/16/03 xb 11/23/03
 Agen
07-09-2003, 4:29 PM
A few weeks ago they were pre-beta and psot alpha (doesn't make sense to me either ;)). As much as i want them to Beta test, i'm pretty sure it won't take 5 months to get out of the beta stage and let it go gold.
JK2 was supposed to be released in Spring and it was, they've been workinhg on JA since (about) JO was released pretty much so it's not like a really ambitious release date - "Autumn '03"
 Blademaster_109
07-09-2003, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
A few weeks ago they were pre-beta and psot alpha (doesn't make sense to me either ;)). As much as i want them to Beta test, i'm pretty sure it won't take 5 months to get out of the beta stage and let it go gold.
JK2 was supposed to be released in Spring and it was, they've been workinhg on JA since (about) JO was released pretty much so it's not like a really ambitious release date - "Autumn '03"

i totally agree w/ u
 Reprehence
07-09-2003, 6:47 PM
I agree too - I get the feeling that the release date may revolve more, or at least as much, around marketing and the release of other games - particularly the other popular FPS's coming out and KOTOR.
 Solo4114
07-09-2003, 7:37 PM
Will they release it in Autumn? Probably. Or very close to Autumn, anyway (IE: first two weeks of Winter season). Will it come out on the dates that people have seen posted? God only knows.

If HL2 is being released in Autumn as well, LEC would do well to either push the game out early or release it, say, 2-4 weeks after HL2. This business is fairly similar to the movie industry, and you don't want to be going head-to-head with THE major blockbuster of the season, unless you've got reason to believe that you can generate as much interest as your competition. Given that we're talking about plunking down more than just $6-9 to partake of the entertainment, people will likely be a bit more cautious about spending their cash on one game or another.

JA has a built-in audience, sure, but much of that built-in audience is also going to want to buy HL2. Now, if they've got $80-120 of disposable income to drop on both games, great. But I think more folks are going to pick one or the other initially, then pick up the other one a month or so later.

Plus, we all know that games are ALWAYS released "when they're done." :rolleyes:

Here's hoping JA does NOT need to be put back into the oven to finish cooking after release (read: major game altering patches).
 Agen
07-09-2003, 8:21 PM
Real good post there solo, it wouldn't a good idea to go head to head with mighty HL2, of course JA has no set month which might be a good idea. It gives them no strict deadline so they can fix things, they can work around other game releases and it also gives them the ability to hype the game a bit more.
As far as i'm concerened, if they release it before the first quarter of december (around 7th) without releasing any major patches (ones for game controller things no-one really cares about are excluded :p) I'm sure JA will sell really well and be a great game.
 yolkboy
07-09-2003, 8:33 PM
Well, I don't have to worry. I only have a PC so JA it is! And like all of you have said, I would rather have a complete game rather than a half baked one. Those patches really tore up the community. I don't mind if they release it towards the end of the year as long as it is good! :D
 The Count
07-09-2003, 9:03 PM
I think its definitley September release, I hope so aswell because afterwards I've got about 17 days to play it before I leave home and go off to university.
 yolkboy
07-09-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm going off to my university college as well... But I'm definetly bringing the game to play on the weekends. :)
 Jo
07-10-2003, 1:10 AM
I think that they will get it out quick enough to be out for the Xmas shoppers. Just like they are with KOTOR. They don't hold their release date unless they are sure it wont be done. the thing i dont get is KOTOR took longer and they release when it would be out. Yet they say JA is pretty much done and the best they can say is sometime this fall?
 Blademaster_109
07-10-2003, 1:53 AM
i don't get what ur talking about with kotor. They didn't have to try to get it done before xmas. it'll be out next week.
 Prime
07-10-2003, 2:06 AM
A few weeks ago they were pre-beta and psot alpha (doesn't make sense to me either ;)). All this means is that the main portion of development (writing code, creating models, etc.) is completed, and initial testing is done (alpha stage). The game is now in a workable state, and now it is time to test for bugs and tweek it to make sure everything is working properly (beta stage).

As much as i want them to Beta test, i'm pretty sure it won't take 5 months to get out of the beta stage and let it go gold. Unfortunately, on something as complex as a video game like JA, the beta testing could very easily take 5 months. Testing software in general often is the largest portion in terms of time. For example, in my job I wrote code for a month, and tested it for four.

Ultimately, when they are finished depends on what problems are found, and how long it takes to fix them. It is prudent for them to suspect the worst, and so allot a reasonable amount of time, just in case. Over estimating is better than underestimating (as we have seen with Galaxies). Even though they may be finished beta testing in September, they still might have a November release date.

Apart from the actual game, there are still packaging and manuals and other elements that may or may not be completed by the time the game itself is ready. All these affect the release date. :)
 Lil Killa
07-10-2003, 2:29 AM
Originally posted by Prime
All this means is that the main portion of development (writing code, creating models, etc.) is completed, and initial testing is done (alpha stage). The game is now in a workable state, and now it is time to test for bugs and tweek it to make sure everything is working properly (beta stage).

Unfortunately, on something as complex as a video game like JA, the beta testing could very easily take 5 months. Testing software in general often is the largest portion in terms of time. For example, in my job I wrote code for a month, and tested it for four.

Ultimately, when they are finished depends on what problems are found, and how long it takes to fix them. It is prudent for them to suspect the worst, and so allot a reasonable amount of time, just in case. Over estimating is better than underestimating (as we have seen with Galaxies). Even though they may be finished beta testing in September, they still might have a November release date.

Apart from the actual game, there are still packaging and manuals and other elements that may or may not be completed by the time the game itself is ready. All these affect the release date. :)

nicely stated but I sure hope that betas don take 5 months but then again I want the game to be as close to perfect as possible on release:D
 Agen
07-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Agreed, it's perfectly possible that it could take 5 months but Raven have a full team working on the game, have experience from the previous game and LA can help them aswell. You working alone can take 1 month to code but 4 months to beta test, whereas Raven have more than 1 person on their team. :p

Apart from the actual game, there are still packaging and manuals and other elements that may or may not be completed by the time the game itself is ready. All these affect the release date.

Manuals can be written before the game has gone gold since in the beta stage they know what they have, packaging shouldn't be much of a problem for them since they have LA and Activision behind them, For JK2 it only took 4 days for it to be released after going gold. It still has an influence on the release date no doubt but minor.

All this means is that the main portion of development (writing code, creating models, etc.) is completed, and initial testing is done (alpha stage). The game is now in a workable state, and now it is time to test for bugs and tweek it to make sure everything is working properly (beta stage).

You make it sound like i don't know anything about the stages of game development :D
As stupid as i probably did sound (read) I know what they actually are, It's just that they said they were Pre Beta (before beta - Alpha) and Post Alpha (After Alpha - Beta). It quite a contradiction unless they were in between stages in time for E3 or round about then. :)

Oh and when i originally said 5 months it would be more around 6 anyway because at the time of writing it was about 4 weeks
:o
 Blademaster_109
08-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
i don't think that "noob" knows what he's talking about.

obsiouly he does, cause its coming out when he said.

and the noob was me.
 GC256
08-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Well I'm not down with all this Alpha, Beta, and Omega ( ;) ) lingo but I did hear in an interview that the game would be finished in a week, (interview was posted on IGN on July 28th) It was also stated that it would be ready for a mid-Sept. release for the PC and a late November release for X-Box because of the X-Box Live content. The interview was with Brett Tosti of Lucas Arts so I trust him more than what I read on these forums.
 Obi-Wan X
08-08-2003, 12:51 AM
I also heard of a mid september released.
 txa1265
08-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by GC256
Well I'm not down with all this Alpha, Beta, and Omega ( ;) ) lingo but I did hear in an interview that the game would be finished in a week, (interview was posted on IGN on July 28th) It was also stated that it would be ready for a mid-Sept. release for the PC and a late November release for X-Box because of the X-Box Live content. The interview was with Brett Tosti of Lucas Arts so I trust him more than what I read on these forums. Exactly - you have Brett Tosti, Kenn Hoechstra, and Mike Gummelt all saying about the same thing ... hmmm .... OK, I'm with them!!! :)

Mike
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 1:14 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
To Kenn Hoekstra of Raven Software:

Originally posted by YOURS TRULY, ME!!!

Hey Kenn, I've been receiving numerous reports that Jedi Academy will be released on September 16th. Can you confirm that date as the official date? Thanks Kenn!

From Kenn Hoekstra:
We don't have any official date yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say it will be before September 16th. The only official date is "Fall 2003" and that could really be any time from August to October.

So there you have it from Project Administrator himself, Kenn.
:D Hopefully Sooner :)
 GC256
08-08-2003, 2:39 AM
Yea it seems to get better by the minute that a September 16 release date is final. So yea, I'm with them. The thing that's upsetting me is that it isn't "official" yet no matter how many sources we here it from until it's on the LucasArts site (well for me at least, I want to be absolutely sure). Things seem to be lookin' good and I look forward to playing JA in mid-September.
 Lil Killa
08-08-2003, 2:44 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
obsiouly he does, cause its coming out when he said.

and the noob was me.

If it doesn't come out in September or October than I'll find a monkeys ass and kiss it...

and besides I was talking about the person u were quoting....
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 2:48 AM
We don't have any official date yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say it will be before September 16th.
Well, he said "before", I just hope it's not like Sept. 15 :p Aw who cares! It's one more day of game time! :D
 Obi-Wan X
08-08-2003, 3:01 AM
I agree about the September release as well. Though does anyone else think its strange that we really haven't seen a really up to date website concering the game?
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 3:45 AM
Yeah! I'm a bit disappointed with LA :mad: I want at least an update once a week about the game. I mean is it really that hard? The other games are getting much more coverage it seems yet most of them aren't as close to releasing. Lately, it has been slow regardless of what game but I haven't seen a JA thing up in a looooonnnnnnnng time. They have to hype up the game to get the news out to more people.
 HertogJan
08-08-2003, 6:09 AM
Actually, I'm quite pleased with the way LA and Raven are supplying us with tidbits of info. New screenshots every now and then, a lot of interviews done, a trailer, and Mike from Raven comes here to comment on some topics, which is great too!!
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 6:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the updates and all. Esp, Mike, thank goodness. How would I have made it without him popping up now and then :) But I just wish there was more. I wan't to be hyped up about the game so much that I'll wake up early to go buy it :D
 txa1265
08-08-2003, 9:42 AM
Marketing is about timing and avoiding saturation. LA is still riding KOTOR, which is still very new in the market. They also have the GameCube tie in for Rebel Strike. They have to be very careful about over-pushing 3 Star Wars titles at the same time - 4 if you think about the XBox release of KOTOR as a separate lauch (I do!). They also have all of those other games they are working on, some of which also hit this fall/winter.

Also, JA has an established fan based, and FPS games seem to get much of their press through industry new sites - like GameSpy or BluesNews - rather than the company's game sites. Honestly, for many people, with the exception of a REAL release date, the JA site is fine to show the game.

I still expect that in the next few weeks we'll start to see things cranking up for the game.

Mike
 Prime
08-08-2003, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I still expect that in the next few weeks we'll start to see things cranking up for the game. I agree. I suspect that at the end of August we'll start to see a real marketing push for this game...
 txa1265
08-08-2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I agree. I suspect that at the end of August we'll start to see a real marketing push for this game... LA seems to be doing some internal prioritization ... KOTOR has hit its' stride, so chances are those internal resources are freeing up. Also - did you notice that Full Throttle just got cancelled! That will also have an impact.

Mike
 yolkboy
08-08-2003, 9:04 PM
Also - did you notice that Full Throttle just got cancelled! That will also have an impact. Really? :eek: Whoa... I agree. I suspect that at the end of August we'll start to see a real marketing push for this game... Yay! :D
 txa1265
08-09-2003, 2:04 AM
Originally posted by yolkboy
Really? :eek: Whoa... Yay! :D

Yeah, check it out ... http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/81.html)

Mike
 Mith[OmNi]
08-09-2003, 2:59 AM
September 16 is an estimate, no game release date (apart from the spawn of satan Enter the Matrix) has a definite release date.

And if it IS released on that day, it means I'm going to have a serious, uh, *cough* that week.

Oh btw, Half Life 2 has been delayed until Christmas, and no reason was given for the delay. [Maybe some one already mentioned this, but if not: Have you been living under a rock?]
 HertogJan
08-09-2003, 7:12 AM
No HL2 hasn't been delayed officially. Vivendi Universal Games said it yes, but then Valve said they're still aiming at a 30 september release, and after that Vivendi too said Valve was working for a 30 september release :confused: :rolleyes:

So as for now, I'll think it isn't delayed ;)
 Emon
08-09-2003, 7:26 AM
The HL2 delayed thing is a pretty big mess, we'll have to wait a few weeks and see.
 GC256
08-09-2003, 4:37 PM
Well LA just updated the Rebel Strike website (you should check it out, it's looking good) so a JA one should follow pretty soon.
Page: 1 of 1