Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Saddest moment in GF.

Page: 1 of 1
 madmonkeygal!
06-12-2003, 4:07 PM
This amazing game holds the power to make me laugh out loud, and cry because the characters seem so real. The saddest moment for me was when Lola died, I'm kind of used to the MI brand of Lucasarts game, where no characters DIE, so it was something of a shock to the system, but it was incredibly well executed. (opps, no pun intended!:eek: )
 Branik
06-12-2003, 5:31 PM
The scene where Manny & Glottis teared the ship apart with anchors (can't remember the ship's name). Glottis worked so hard getting it all nice and shiny with those huge chromed exhaust pipes only to have it ripped apart to avoid murderous fake customs-officials. It is a shame to see a beautiful piece of machinery ripped apart like that!

Lola's death was of course sad, but that is it. There's not that many sad scenes in the game, maybe except for the end where
Sal, Olivia and the fat guy get sprouted (and Manny too for a while)
 Bogart
06-12-2003, 9:11 PM
The saddest part to me was the ending. I just didnt want this wonderful story to be over.
 pleto4_ryan
06-12-2003, 9:39 PM
The scene in the morgue...REAL sad and depressing. Lola's death icridible sad. *cried*

others...

and when Manny's crew dies...

when floress learns his wife has left with another man...

The whole atmosphere in the Blue casket...

The ending :) (not actually sad...)

of course when Salvator...

well not sad but when Captain learns of SS lamancha(his love)

i could say more...:P
 Sally Limones
06-15-2003, 6:22 PM
The ship WAS the Lola!
~~Sal
 pleto4_ryan
06-23-2003, 6:36 PM
Originally posted by Sally Limones
The ship WAS the Lola!
~~Sal

what do you mean?
 Aranolorion
06-25-2003, 5:38 PM
for me its really gotta be

when manny and glottis part company, and obviously when lola dies.

its a testement to the greatnes of this game that it is able to arouse such a range of emotions, akin to a good film or book.
 ZaXeriaw
06-26-2003, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by pleto4_ryan
what do you mean?

The ship was named Lola, and her death was the saddest moment in the game [The character Lola, not the ship!], and I love every time I play it. Also the ending, cause.... then the game is over :( :(
 pleto4_ryan
06-27-2003, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by ZaXeriaw
The ship was named Lola, and her death was the saddest moment in the game [The character Lola, not the ship!], and I love every time I play it. Also the ending, cause.... then the game is over :( :(

:rolleyes:
yep i know Manny named his ship Lola.....

Funny....Both(ship and char) died....:(
 C Shutt
06-27-2003, 10:11 AM
"I told you that name was bad luck."

Hate to be unoriginal, but I've got no choice but to go with Lola's death scene as well.
 GendoTheGreat
06-29-2003, 11:52 AM
I'd have to say the saddest part was when I paid 25 bucks for the game, walked past the same store the next day and saw it had been marked down to 10. That really made me cry.
 Sanspoof
06-30-2003, 5:29 PM
Being a sadistic cynic that I am, I usually don't find most things sad, but, the saddest thing in GF I'd say would be:

Seeing the entire innocent crew of the S.S Lola all massacred.
 pleto4_ryan
07-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Sanspoof

Seeing the entire innocent crew of the S.S Lola all massacred.

actually

flowered :D
 AnxiousApe
07-10-2003, 2:29 PM
The saddest moment was Lola and Sal's death. And when Glottis is dying (but he lives - yay!)
 Thrik
07-10-2003, 4:59 PM
The saddest part of the game for me was definitely Sal's death. It was completely unexpected for me, so the shock value complemented his demise.
 pleto4_ryan
07-10-2003, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by AnxiousApe
And when Glottis is dying (but he lives - yay!)

YES....you are right. I had forgot that scene. It really get me sad...Glottis liing there, helpless, trying to breath....Oh it was something..:(

It was completely unexpected for me, so the shock value complemented his demise. it was TOO heroic...and a death he had to have...dying to save the others....The most sad part was when manny sees the ticket :(
 GendoTheGreat
07-11-2003, 9:21 AM
Rather than sadness, that part with Salvador's ticket made me angry. I mean really and truly angry. For a brief moment in time I actaully found myself hating fictional characters.
 bgbennyboy
07-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Definately the end when Glottis and Manny parted, fantastically atmospheric and sad.
 Dawidos
07-21-2003, 9:48 AM
The saddest moment for me ??? Hmmm. I remember three scenes.

-when Lola died
-when Salvador died
-when Manny and Meche arrived by the train to Ninth Underworld.

Greetings :)
 Llopin
07-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Actually I found it rather depressive how the two Lolas (the person and the ship) had a similar fate, like naming the ship Lola was killing it.

Sak's death is indeed the saddest moment, as well as the end of the game.
 pleto4_ryan
07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Llopin
Actually I found it rather depressive how the two Lolas (the person and the ship) had a similar fate, like naming the ship Lola was killing it.

i found it sweet and cute....it was one of those little things that made grim a masterpiece...the name of the ship is never actually "named" we just see it...for 2 moments....
 GrimDan
07-24-2003, 6:33 PM
I think the saddest moment in the game is when Lola dies to. I think it was sad in the way Manny yelled out "LOLA".
 Grim_comician
07-25-2003, 1:14 PM
I think the saddest one is when Toto let Manny tell him he says hello to Lola.

"Tell her papa Toto says hello."
 pleto4_ryan
07-25-2003, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by Grim_comician
I think the saddest one is when Toto let Manny tell him he says hello to Lola.

"Tell her papa Toto says hello."

:eek: oh mine yes(forgot that)...one of the saddest..(full of feelings...)
 Bushmeister
07-26-2003, 4:13 PM
I would say Sal's death, because I thought he might be able to survive as a head, remaining the "head" of the LSA afterwards. Hehe. But seriously I thought that you wouldn't end up with him sacrificing himself, and when you find out he had a ticket all along!:( :(
 agent_of_LSA
08-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Sadest moments?

The music that played when you found Lola dieing and how she asks Manny "if she would have had a chance" almost brought tears to my eyes.

and am I the only one who found the edge of the world depressing? That and bothe times you think Glottis is going to die.

oh and I almost wept when I had to leave the blue casket those guys were so cool!

:hector:
 Thrik
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
The way the game executed Lola's death was awesome. Despite us only seeing her for a few seconds in the game, her death brought a lot of sadness to a lot of us. It takes a lot of skill to be able to do that I'd imagine.
 Junior™
08-03-2003, 11:20 AM
The saddest moment just has to be the ending. On the one hand because the whole game...well...ends, and on the other hand because of the seperation of Manny and Glottis.

Lola's death wasn't all that sad if you ask me.
But maybe I'm just heartless...
 James Isaac
08-03-2003, 12:25 PM
The saddest moment for me was when Manny left Glottis. None of teh other moments were really that sad to me.
 Yodaboy64
08-06-2003, 7:34 PM
Yeah, if you didn't find Lola's death sad, you are pretty close to heartless... That was one of (if not the) saddest moment(s) in the game... Especially the "Would I have had a chance" part. That one really left me hurting...
 Thrik
08-06-2003, 9:28 PM
The reason I myself wasn't too affected by her death was because we met her for only a tiny amount of time - we didn't get to see inside her character or anything. Her death was sad, but not because of the loss of her itself - but the way it was portayed in the game with the sad music, etc.
 Susan
08-08-2003, 5:34 AM
Originally posted by Yodaboy64
Especially the "Would I have had a chance" part. That one really left me hurting...
Mmmhmm, I'd have to agree with that one. Manny just kind of looks the other way in a way that says, "no, but I can't really say it out loud right now."

:newbie:
 Yodaboy64
08-11-2003, 1:13 AM
I wasn't calling Thrik heartless, more Junior. I agree, the music really did make the scene much more powerful. If you read the novelization, she becomes more attached. Not to sound like a GF nerd or anything, but the novelization added a LOT. The first time I saw it, it was unexpected and left me somewhat saddend and quite confused... what DOES happen to people who are sprouted, anyway?
 GinnyW
08-11-2003, 9:23 PM
I've always wondered that too, I'm thinking maybe they do get into the 9th underworld, but maybe it's painful, or they might go somewhere else. If they go to the 9th underworld, it's A. good cause we'll see lola and sal, and B. Bad, cause olivia will be back (though she did seem pretty cool, if a bit annoying IMO.. until we found out about her true self that is) and hector too.

The saddest moments for me were Sal's death (especcially the fact that he had a ticket. I became pretty angry too), Lola dying (the dialog in it was really well done too), Glottis being ill, and of course, the ending, in which the game ends (I wanted it to go so much!) and leaving Glottis. ("Manny, you know I can't go with you, I'm a spirit of the land an all that.")

However, interestingly, it wasn't that sad, maybe because it didn't seem like the same sort of death, more like going on to another place.

But there weren't very many sad moments in the game, not big ones anyway, IMO.

It's time to replay the game! :)
 VampireNaomi
08-12-2003, 1:54 PM
To me the saddest part was the ending. Not actually because the game ended, but because that was when I realised my ultimate mistake.

You see, I don't like PC games that much. I'm a Nintendo freak who plays games like Zelda and Pokйmon, so I never took Grim Fandango that seriously. I have to admit I used a walkthrough every time I got stuck (very often), because I wanted to complete the game as fast as possible. :o

And then the game ended and I realised that I had ruined probably the best game I will ever play. Way to go me... :(

But the good thing is that I learned my lesson. I've never played any Monkey Island games, but if I ever get my hands in one I won't even think about using any freaking walkthroughs!
 Susan
08-13-2003, 2:57 AM
I found http://www.uhs-hints.com) to be helpful. I only got the spoiler if I wanted it, but usually I'd get a hint in the right direction which would prompt me to do something and figure it out, or come back for another hint.

It's like, you want to get through the game and see what happens, but at the same time you don't it spoiled with a walkthrough. It's always so much more fun to figure it out on your own. I know how it goes. :)
 GendoTheGreat
08-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by VampireNaomi
I have to admit I used a walkthrough every time I got stuck (very often), because I wanted to complete the game as fast as possible. :o

And then the game ended and I realised that I had ruined probably the best game I will ever play. Way to go me... :(

I feel your pain. I got about two-thirds of the way through before I got stuck on a particular puzzle, used a walkthrough to get past, and just kept on using the walkthrough because I wanted to see the end. First (and last) time I ever used a walkthrough for any game, and it just happened to be the one that would become my all-time favourite. Grr. I could have kicked myself in the head. In fact, I tried to do just that. I eat through a straw now.
 tarantulaNZ
08-26-2003, 3:08 AM
"...and the reef where her body was strewn."
Page: 1 of 1