Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Beneath Monkey Island, Part 1!

Page: 1 of 1
 MJ
05-28-2003, 9:33 PM
Part 1 doesn't have a name. Any suggestions?

Please post feedback. This is the first Nightlight Production to be done online, where the artists never meet. So it's a bit of an experiment.

A big round of applause goes to Tom Negrette as the voice of Guybrush Threepwood, Matthew as the voice of Carl the Swordmaster of Jambalaya Island, and Stanley Brain, as always, the voice of Number Two.

And how could I forget? A big round of applause goes to my co-writer, Charles Frederick, the MeddlingMonk. Couldn't have done it without you.

Well... probably could have. It just wouldn't have turned out anywhere near as good. :)

Please post comments/suggestions/feedback! :D
 davrosthedalek
05-28-2003, 9:58 PM
BRAVO!!! ENCORE ENCORE!!!! awesome im serious this is really great and something nice to start nightlight back up with keep up the work guys!
 Gabez
05-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I like it. :) Not quite as funny as part one of Tierra, but it still raised a few smiles and the odd laugh for me. I'll be interested to see how this develops.

The use of the sound effects is great, I love how you used the MI theme. And number 2 is always cool; it's great to see him in an MI themed setting. :)

So basically, top stuff 8, and everyone else who was involved! I'm definitely looking forward to the next one!
 Huz
05-28-2003, 10:45 PM
If I'm honest, I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the opening parts of Tierra or Lost Cause, but with both being "original" formats (well, a Star Wars parody was new to me, at least :)), they probably lent themselves better to instant enjoyment (especially Lost Cause). I suspect overly high hopes for a Monkey Island thingy played a large part as well - don't worry, I initially disliked CMI, and haven't quite got over the EMI-hating yet. :)

That's not to say I didn't like it, though - it was enjoyable. I can see the series has a lot of potential, and it's easy to see it picking up in later episodes. On the plus side, you were right - the editing is very good, and if I didn't know it, I don't think I'd be able to tell the actors never met for the recording. Well done, and I'm looking forward to more. :)

("Surfaces? Level with me here!")
 73kn0ph463
05-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm impressed with how it came out. I'm eager to see what the next comes out like... AND I'M IN IT! LOL.

Anyhow, here's to the next chapter! CHEERS!
 QueZTone
05-28-2003, 11:01 PM
lol i like the quick talking eddy murphy imitator. He's talks just like him at times ^_^

guybrush sounds exactly right at times, but he's got too many low voice moments. there's a lotta similarity with Dom too tho

anyway, best joke was the "oh that IS a lot of money" one

keep it up!
 73kn0ph463
05-28-2003, 11:10 PM
I think that's because Guybrush is in a bar drinkin' like a fish. What I've remembered or guesstimated from the MI series is that Guybrush has an alter ego when he drinks and tends to get a little ... bad, so the rumor goes. It's partly why Elaine doesn't like him drinking. ;)

BTW, I frighten myself at how much I sound like Guybrush/Dom IRL... All I need for my local bar is a tall portrait of El Pollo Diablo to put up.

I'll be sure to fix that low voice thing in mind next time!
 MJ
05-29-2003, 1:27 AM
Personally, I'm a little worried that there's too much Carl. But then again, how can it be otherwise? If a suitable female voice was found, it would have been too much Carla. But there wasn't. Hence we have Eddie Murphy.

But the thing about Guybrush is that he really isn't strong enough to hold a radio series by himself. I tried, and in the scripting stage, it really didn't work. You need someone else for him to play off, so Carl got equal billings. Having Guybrush by himself just wouldn't have worked.

And in some places think I nailed Eddie Murphy really well. Particularily in the 'Is that MY sword? It is my sword!' line. And Eddie Murphy's very distinctive laugh. :)
 MeddlingMonk
05-29-2003, 1:42 AM
I have to say I was really impressed by Carl. It's just too bad 8 didn't tell me just how he imagined him or I wouldn't have spent so much time trying to butcher his lines when I got the draft script. :p But that aside...when do I get to see part three??? Huh? Huh?! :D (I crack me up.)

Next week East Lynne.

Personally I don't think there's too much Carl. For one thing, he needed to set up the story in this part. And, of course, you're right: Guybrush needs someone to play off of, and Guybrush is funnier when other characters are reacting to him. Anyway, part two has more characters than part one.
 The Adventurer
05-29-2003, 1:56 AM
Hot damn, Nightlights back! WOOT!

You can do no wrong here 8 of 12, yoda man!

This episode is great set up, Carl is the man, nearly bumping Le Parca off the top of my favoirt character list (more episodes well tell if he over comes the genius that is La Parca). Guybrush's very first line was really weak (and personaly I did think that line wasn't a very good line back during the try out stages, sorry) but damn, after he got rolling, Spot on Guybrush Impersonation. Having Number 2 show up was a plus as he appears to be Nightlight's Mascot and his presents adds something to a Nightlight Production.

Interesting how LeChuck's Hired Carl to go monkey island, and then have Carl recruit Guybrush. That ones going to go over well a few episodes down the line.

All in All a fantastic radio episode.

Keep it up 8, and everyone eles involved.
 MJ
05-29-2003, 6:02 AM
Anyone noticed the two easter eggs in BMI part 1 yet?

Oh, and Adventurer... your favourite Nightlight character is La Parca? Really? Personally, Tomas, Darth Vapour and Number Two easily beat La Parca (but then again, I'm biased, I voiced two of them).

MeddlingMonk: Glad you're going to go a little easier on Carl. :)
 Sleeper
05-29-2003, 8:23 AM
A fine production with some little flaws. Beginning with that Guybrush doesn't sound like the guybrush from CMI and EMI. I think he's very much off if you compare with that. Otherwise very good recordings, but as some of you guys say, not fall-of-chair-break-your-neck funny. When is the next ep. gonna be made? And will that include more characters?
 MeddlingMonk
05-29-2003, 1:06 PM
Yeah, part two will have a couple more characters: a brand new one and one from the games. But you'll get no spoilers from me, white boy. :D
 The Adventurer
05-29-2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by 8 of 12

Oh, and Adventurer... your favourite Nightlight character is La Parca? Really? Personally, Tomas, Darth Vapour and Number Two easily beat La Parca (but then again, I'm biased, I voiced two of them).

Of course he's my favoirit. The Voice, the personality, the one liners. Everything that came out of La Parca's mouth was Comedy Gold. Can say everyone else was 100% Comedy Gold. 80 or 90 maybe. His Gilligan Island's "The Millionaire" Voice just sells La Parca.

Although Red has the Greatest Line ever with the "Barrier of Trust" bit.
 The Adventurer
05-30-2003, 4:40 AM
Originally posted by 8 of 12

One of the Easter Eggs is that Red is the Skeleton in the Scumm Bar right? Cause I know it was the same voice actor.
 Xzooma
05-30-2003, 6:19 AM
I think it’s really cool you made a MI radio play.
I didn’t like it very much, a few smirks from the in-game jokes.
BUT! I can’t wait to hear more. I look forward to it and I will link all my MI friends to the site.

Part 1: title ideas.
The guy who yammers faster then Stan.

Murray's outspoken cousin.

Carl's lousy t-shirt

THE SWORD MASTER OF JAMBALAYA ISLAND! :D
 Incredible_d
05-30-2003, 4:20 PM
One good title might be "Booty Call"

It was really good, you and Number Two especially. The only thing I had about it was that Guybrush/Tom spoke a little slowly. It kind of breaks off from your energetic Carl character. And you sounded really similar to Eddie Murphy. And even when you don't you sound convincingly New Orleans (which may not mean a lot to somebody from Australia.)

Do you need my sound files again for episode 2?
 MJ
05-31-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by The Adventurer
One of the Easter Eggs is that Red is the Skeleton in the Scumm Bar right? Cause I know it was the same voice actor.

Yep, that's one of them. Red in the Scumm Bar. :)
 LiMP RABBiT
05-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Great. I especially like encions cameo appearence.
 Incredible_d
05-31-2003, 4:46 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a couple things. First of all, you were dead-on Eddie Murphy in the spots like "Isn't this nice, yeah," "My old buddy Guybrush," and especially "Is that my sword? That IS my sword!" Hard to describe. You should put in some line about waffles somewhere.

Stanley seemed a bit... toned down. Not as off the wall as he was in Lost Cause or as witty as he was in Tierra. Was that the first time he had read the script?

And the "Damn that's freaky" line... I really think there was a better way you could have delivered that. When I read the script, it was one of the funniest lines there. But I can't really criticize you, you did such a good job the rest of the time.

And I fixed my mic. Itz-all good up n' tha hood.
 LiMP RABBiT
06-01-2003, 7:22 AM
BRILLIANT. You nailed the accents really well at some points like Guybrushes 'motormouth' line and Carls ' isnt that nice' line (even though occasionally his lines were a bit hard to understand on first hearing). And no. 2s 'wearing nothing but my pride line' was great.

PS. La Parca wasnt as funny as Encion, No. 2, and Miguel
 Sleeper
06-01-2003, 9:58 PM
Oh, and if you need a cameo or a random appearance of either Ben Throttle or Murray then I'm your man.
 LiMP RABBiT
06-03-2003, 7:55 AM
good point, will Murray be in the series. Anyhoo, titles.... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. Tricky one there.
 MJ
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
I hadn't planned on having Murray in BMI, no. But then again, if you want to send me a voice sample and I'm sufficiently 'wowed', then I have no problem with writing a cameo appearance in for him. :)
 MJ
06-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Now that I think of it, probably the best title for BMI part 1 would be the name of the piece of music that's under the scene in the Scumm Bar. Anyone recognise it before I blow it's cover? :)
 LiMP RABBiT
06-03-2003, 3:45 PM
JUST TELL US ALREADY
 mercatfat
06-30-2003, 3:55 AM
Crap, am I supposed to record Stan now? I forgot all about that ish.
 MJ
07-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey there, Merc.

Nah, it's five by five. I'll rewrite the script and readjust it to not have Stan at all. No need to worry, it'll work out! Don't know when it'll be done, but it'll work. :)
 LiMP RABBiT
07-01-2003, 2:08 PM
PLEASE, just tell us the title....
 MJ
07-01-2003, 9:21 PM
Of the song?

'Send me on my way' by Rusted Root

Quite a good song. It was in 'Ice Age' :)
 mercatfat
07-17-2003, 6:59 AM
It's five by five? Stop using wacky Austrailian slang.

I'll still do it if you want.
 MJ
07-21-2003, 2:29 AM
Five by five means 'everything's fine'.

I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen with BMI part 2. At the moment there's no real progress been made on it because I've only just moved into my new place, the website is kaput, and my video card blew up leaving my computer likewise, quite kaput. The nightlight might have some downtime for a while.
 73kn0ph463
07-21-2003, 3:42 AM
I'm still here, I'm still ready.

If you need storage space to host the BMI mp3's, I can set up space for it.

E-mail me privately and we'll get to talking.

-73k :biggs:
Page: 1 of 1