Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Poll: Fixed Saber Color Selection or an RGB/HSL slider?

Page: 1 of 1
 Cloud Tiamat
05-20-2003, 12:32 AM
While an RGB or HSL (Hue, saturation, luminosity) slider would present a tremendous amount of freedom, it might get under the skin of continuity purist........at LucasArts. There also lies in some extra work needed for all the sabers to look good with a full range of colors to pick from (the RGB slider with JediMOD for JK2 had a few problems, like having it appear to be a row of dots instead of a smooth line).
 Emon
05-20-2003, 1:23 AM
I say fixed. Unless they regulate the intensity of the saber blade, we'll have morons running around with extremely vibrant and washed out ugly teal and pink blades.
 boinga1
05-20-2003, 1:55 AM
Fixed- the basic saber colors are what most people want and they take too long to get w/ the sliders.
 [LJC]ReDMaStEr
05-20-2003, 3:41 AM
Fixed. The others will be abused. period.
 Prime
05-20-2003, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by Cloud Tiamat
While an RGB or HSL (Hue, saturation, luminosity) slider would present a tremendous amount of freedom, it might get under the skin of continuity purist........ Like me I guess.

Fixed all the way. We already have all the colours we see in movies anyway. The last thing we need is a bunch of "kewl d00ds" running around with "My Little Pony" lightsabers.

Ick.
 HertogJan
05-20-2003, 2:31 PM
I voted for RGB, since I would like a very dark blue to purple lightsaber (montreal blue or navy blue or the like)... BUT I understand there must be color restrictions, maybe they could make it so you only have acces to certain spectras (sp??)...
 Cloud Tiamat
05-20-2003, 3:32 PM
Will there be more colors than what's in JK2?
 Master_Payne
05-20-2003, 4:02 PM
I'd like RGB, mainly because HSL may become too abused and we'll have to bright and almost transparent sabers, with RGB the worst would be a pink, a skin tone saber or a grey.
(hopes I use the correct verbal times)
 Luc Solar
05-20-2003, 7:05 PM
A large variety, no sliders. (mods could do that)

Same reasoning as above. People are stupid, don't let them choose. :D
 Emon
05-20-2003, 7:58 PM
I would imagine there would be a larger selection because of the RPG elements in single and multiplayer. Hopefully they'll add teal and white, as well as various shades of all the colors.
 Cloud Tiamat
05-20-2003, 9:41 PM
What they should for modding is let you add blade colors (or even blade shapes) like you could add avatars in JK2 (or in this case, add model parts). That would offer a lot more freedom by having an open-ended selection instead of having to replace an existing color.
 Stormtrooper X
05-26-2003, 1:11 PM
What they should for modding is let you add blade colors (or even blade shapes) like you could add avatars in JK2 (or in this case, add model parts). That would offer a lot more freedom by having an open-ended selection instead of having to replace an existing color.

Yes. Have basic saber colors but be allowed to choose your saber color with a saber color customizer. So if you want you can customise the color, but you can just use normal colors. Oh yeah, please fix the white lightsabers you get with the Jedi Outcast Mod that disabled you from actually using the blade color you made. :mad:

EDIT: No wait! Make all three availible. That way everyone's happy!:)
 Prime
05-27-2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Stormtrooper X
Yes. Have basic saber colors but be allowed to choose your saber color with a saber color customizer. So if you want you can customise the color, but you can just use normal colors. But do you really want to be running around in MP and see nothing but pink and teal lightsabers? Because that is what will happen. Why not just provide a variety of predetermined colours?
 Cloud Tiamat
05-28-2003, 6:37 PM
Hey, if there's a preset teal or turquiose saber color I'll be happy. :)
 Prime
05-29-2003, 2:14 PM
Hey, if there's a preset teal or turquiose saber color I'll be happy. :) Booooo! :D
 Stormtrooper X
05-31-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Prime Minister of Teal and Pink Lightsaber Land with Love Hearts
But do you really want to be running around in MP and see nothing but pink and teal lightsabers? Because that is what will happen. Why not just provide a variety of predetermined colours?

Pink: no one would dare make themself look like a girl. Teal: Not too bad, put only a few morons would go for that. I just play MP against the computer, I don't waste my time against cheaters and newbie's. I fight against jedi masters. There could easily be servers with restrictions against teal and pink morons. One for each of those colors is enough. But do you want to see nothing but blue and green lightsabers?:confused: No!:mad:
 Luc Solar
05-31-2003, 2:43 PM
Pink: no one would dare make themself look like a girl.

Riiiight... and next you're going to tell us that people aren't shockingly dumb either...? :rolleyes:

(Trust me: they are. They are dumber than anything you can imagine, or just determined to piss you off no matter what it takes)

I just play MP against the computer, I don't waste my time against cheaters and newbie's. I fight against jedi masters.

Cheaters? There are cheaters in JO? Where? How? :confused:

Jedi masters? You mean those retarded bots that do nothing but run backwards until you manage to catch up on them and kill them in 0,2 seconds at which point they respawn and continue running backwards? :D

I'm perfectly happy with the saber colours we have. More variety is good, but please don't let people choose silly colours, because if they can, they will. If we had a "my little pony"-skin with a heart shaped saber, all servers would be filled with people using 'em. :mad:
 Kengo
05-31-2003, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
If we had a "my little pony"-skin with a heart shaped saber, all servers would be filled with people using 'em. :mad:

Where can I find this skin?

I wish to...destroy it. Yeh, thats it.

I was thinking RGB was great like in Promod. Did I mention Promod? Oh, OK then. But actually having read the above comments I think I agree with the fixed people myself, maybe 2 or 3 additions to the fixed set would be nice, but having alterable colours will lead to some rather silly and annoying colours, fixed has a more authentic feel.
 Cloud Tiamat
05-31-2003, 7:16 PM
What's wrong with a blue-green colored saber?
 JediBozQ
06-01-2003, 6:58 PM
Actually, there isn't really much work in having RGB/HSL Sabers.
Its all a matter of the code colour of the saber blades. And even if multiplayer, its just the number prefixed onto a player at the beginning of the duel.

I am all for RGB/HSL sabers, and I dont really see how they can be abused.
 Prime
06-02-2003, 1:43 AM
Originally posted by JediBozQ
Actually, there isn't really much work in having RGB/HSL Sabers.
Its all a matter of the code colour of the saber blades. And even if multiplayer, its just the number prefixed onto a player at the beginning of the duel. Obviously the coding difficulty is not the issue. It is the results of putting such a feature in the game that we are worried about.

Pink: no one would dare make themself look like a girl. So anyone who is using the Mon Mothma, Jan, or Tavion skins online are really all girls? And if the worst people did online was make themselves look like girls, the world would be a better place.

Teal: Not too bad, put only a few morons would go for that. Is that because there are only a few morons online?

I just play MP against the computer, I don't waste my time against cheaters and newbie's. I fight against jedi masters. After your last two statements, that much is obvious. Anyone who has ventured into cyberspace would know that everyone and there dog would pick pink lightsabers because it would be "kewl".

And fighting against Jedi Masters? Yep, that Bot AI sure puts up one heck of a fight! :)

There could easily be servers with restrictions against teal and pink morons. One for each of those colors is enough. But why go through all the trouble? Why not just avoid having it in the game in the first place?

But do you want to see nothing but blue and green lightsabers? No! YES!

If I had my way, there would only be green, blue, and red. But I recognize that others might want to have a few more choices, so having purple and yellow are not a big deal. After than, you can make a mod for it, as far as I'm concerned.
 JediBozQ
06-03-2003, 7:38 AM
Alright. I'm not all too familiar over the multiplayer servers crap online. But could someone enlighten me how the colours of the saber blades are abused?

I'm still way clueless over that. ( In fact, I modified my saber to have a white blade in my SP :P )
 Luc Solar
06-03-2003, 2:00 PM
People would choose colours that are plain stupid or exploitable. A pink saber with orange dots? An invisible saber? A black saber?

If we had numerous non-silly colours to choose from, the result would be much better. Enough variety, but nothing retarded. That's what I'm hoping for. :)
 Prime
06-03-2003, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
People would choose colours that are plain stupid or exploitable. A pink saber with orange dots? An invisible saber? A black saber?

If we had numerous non-silly colours to choose from, the result would be much better. Enough variety, but nothing retarded. That's what I'm hoping for. :) Exactly. :)

JediBozQ, the saber colours are not abused currently, because there is only a limited set to choose from. If the sliding colour scale is implemented, then you can be sure that the colours many people will choose will be for the purpose of annoying other people (i.e. pink). Sadly, this is just the kind of behavior that occurs constantly online.

So why open the game up to that kind of behavior if it can be prevented? :)
 JediBozQ
06-03-2003, 3:51 PM
Huh?!?!?
A Pink Bladed Lightsaber annoys you???? :confused:
 Prime
06-04-2003, 2:00 PM
Originally posted by JediBozQ
Huh?!?!?
A Pink Bladed Lightsaber annoys you???? :confused: As an example, yes. The point is, any attempt to maintain some sort of movie "realism" for the game will be undermined. This may not matter to you, but it matters to a lot of us :)
 JediBozQ
06-04-2003, 4:28 PM
Wha? (o_O)
Anyway, forget it. I'm not annoyed by Pink Sabers, and I'm all for RGB and HSL slider.

That's my opinion

======
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has their own
 DigitalVapor
06-07-2003, 10:06 AM
And just what the H-E-L-L IS WRONG WITH A TEAL SABER?!?!?!?!?! Did anyone watch ANH??? In spite of the fact that the saber Luke inherited was SUPPOSED to be blue, there were several instances where it appeared to be teal, and an instance where it looked white as well. While the white looked a little off, Teal is a nice color and I for one had previously created a character concept in the days of JK who did in fact have an Aqua colored lightsaber. Believe it or not it really did look quite good when I did it in graphics. So leave that color alone. Come on...it takes a moron to complain about "stupid" colors for crying out loud.

Anyway, I think HSL would be a nice ADDITIONAL option while still making presets available. I do however understand that there were some real problems with RGB saber mods but that was due to a couple easily fixable problems.

1) DONT ALLOW CORE COLOR CHANGING. The core should always remain white. Altering this would allow the "morons" to exploit the power of HSL.

2) Impliment a limiting handicap on the HSL sliders to avoid nasty effects such as OVERSATURATED glows or invisible ones. If you wonder what I mean by oversaturated, just looks at the TCK saber mod. if you maxed a color too much it had an opaque ugly look to it and had a color bleeding problem.

And lastly if there are going to be preset colors, PLEASE, FOR GODS SAKE FIX THAT HORRIBLE EXCUSE FOR A PURPLE SABER!!!!!
THAT IS NOT REAL !@#$%^& PURPLE!!!! It is too warm. The red tint is too high, raise the blue levels, and lower the red slightly.

And a note to the moderators: At no time in this post is there anything that should be taken as a flame. There is no flaming intent and heated remarks are not directed at any one party.
 Spider AL
06-07-2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Prime:
As an example, yes. The point is, any attempt to maintain some sort of movie "realism" for the game will be undermined. This may not matter to you, but it matters to a lot of us :)"Movie realism" would dictate that only four colours of sabre could be chosen: blue, green, red and purple. I think that would be EXTREMELY tedious, myself. Hooray for a lack of movie-realism. :D

The core should naturally remain white, however. It's a lightsabre.
 Prime
06-09-2003, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
"Movie realism" would dictate that only four colours of sabre could be chosen: blue, green, red and purple. I think that would be EXTREMELY tedious, myself. Hooray for a lack of movie-realism. :D

The core should naturally remain white, however. It's a lightsabre. I don't mind having a few more colours than just is what is in the movies, but I would rather have a set list of choices, rather than a slider.

And boo on you all for you anti-movie-realism! :D
 Emon
06-09-2003, 10:21 PM
A totally movie realistic game would probably suck. That's why it's a game, and not a movie.
 Spider AL
06-10-2003, 1:20 PM
And boo on you all for you anti-movie-realism! :DHehehe, I shall crush the movies wherever I find them! :nut:

Hmm. If I were making the game though, it'd be a hard choice. I'd probably limit the sabres to green/blue and red, if I'm being honest. Because whenever I make anything star-wars related, even addon levels, I invariably become a canon-nazi.
 Prime
06-10-2003, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by Emon
A totally movie realistic game would probably suck. That's why it's a game, and not a movie. I'm not asking for total movie realism, I'm just asking for no pink lightsabers :p
 praenuntius
06-10-2003, 2:05 PM
Are you anti-choice people listening to yourselves? With full access to HSL or RGB sliders the number of possible different character customizations would be practically infinite.

Obviously some people will want to stick with the same boring colours they've grown attached to in JK:JO, so the preset colours should be available as well as the sliders.

And for those who are unfortunately afflicted with the delusion that an infinite number of colour choices immediately equals pink and teal (which are valid choices) then there can be server flags that disable the sliders.

Easy, everyone who wants choice and everyone who doesn't gets what they want.

As an aside, on the topic of HSL vs RGB, it is my understanding that both colour systems are capable of representing the same number of colours right? It's only the method they are selected that differs. Having an "either...or" button at the customization screen so that people can choose how they choose colours could be simple. Obviously they would all have to be stored the same way, but that's something that the programmers can bother about.
 Prime
06-10-2003, 2:57 PM
And for those who are unfortunately afflicted with the delusion that an infinite number ofcolour choices immediately equals pink and teal...Hey, I would have thought that kissing and waving your butt around yelling "Woohoo!!" wouldn't have been common either. Boy, was I wrong.

And are the insults really necessary? :confused:
 Spider AL
06-10-2003, 3:09 PM
Hey, I would have thought that kissing and waving your butt around yelling "Woohoo!!" wouldn't have been common either. Boy, was I wrong.Bleh. Thanks for reminding me about all that stuff. I worked so hard to block it out. :(

In the first JO tournament I won, Jolt FF duel, my opponent in the final both waved his bottom at me and insulted me. It's a measure of my hatred for buttock-jiggling ingame that I twepped him 6-0. I'm all for freedom of expression on JO servers, but freedom to snog other players? to moon at other players? nurgh.

At a tangent, I have no problem with people using pink sabres, as they're only laying themselves open to massive ribbings. There was a pink sabre in JK, and it was a great gift for a funmaker like me. I remember a fellow called Walrus from the newsgroup a.g.j-k. He used that pink sabre under the impression that it was purple... obviously he was incorrect, and obviously he ended up being called "Wally Pinkstick." Ahh, those were good days.
 Reb Starblazer
06-10-2003, 8:58 PM
Why not both?

Have the fixed sabre colours standard and on by default. But, by going into the setup menu have the option of enabling RGB/HSL lightsabre blades. But here's where the real beauty of this comes into play. You only see the RGB/HSL lightsabre blades if you have it enabled. If you don't enable it, the lightsabre blades appear to you as one of the original pre-packaged lightsabre colours that come with Jedi Academy.

So if someone wanted to have themself a teal lightsabre with a purdy pink core and purple polka dots, :rolleyes: they can. But, you don't have to see this kaleidoscopic lightsabre because you didn't enable RGB/HSL lightsabre blades in the option menu. To you it appears as a randomly selected original lightsabre colour that came with Jedi Academy. Hell, red, green, and blue could have the highest probability of being chosen, in order to appeal to canon-nazi's like Al and Prime ;)

This kind of setup would make it so that the whiners can't whine because it's not in there, but if you don't want to see it, then you don't have to. This might even get rid of the animosity between canon-nazi's and sabre-noobies...

*snickers* Yea right, who am I kidding...:D

And yes, it is very possible. It worked like this in JediMod and JediPlus for god's sake, so I'm sure Raven Software could implement it very easily if the makers of these mods could.

EDIT: Never really read the finer details of the thread, but it seems that Stormtrooper X and praenuntius somewhat hinted at this as well, but without the whole "don't see it if you don't enable it" feature. Just so you know, I didn't steal it from you, we were just all kind of going the same way.:D
 Prime
06-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Reb Starblazer
Have the fixed sabre colours standard and on by default. But, by going into the setup menu have the option of enabling RGB/HSL lightsabre blades. But here's where the real beauty of this comes into play. You only see the RGB/HSL lightsabre blades if you have it enabled. If you don't enable it, the lightsabre blades appear to you as one of the original pre-packaged lightsabre colours that come with Jedi Academy. I like this idea.

Originally posted by Reb Starblazer
Hell, red, green, and blue could have the highest probability of being chosen, in order to appeal to canon-nazi's like Al and Prime ;) Ooh! Canon-nazi! I like that too! :)
 Luc Solar
06-11-2003, 4:37 AM
Excellent idea!

Just like custom skins. If you don't have 'em "enabled" you won't see them. Everybody wins. Why didn't I think of that! :)
 Spider AL
06-12-2003, 1:21 PM
Ooh! Canon-nazi! I like that too! For the record, I coined that, and I intend to patent and license it very very soon.

And yeah, the "force sabre colours/models" option idea is excellent. I'll be turning that on, should it make it. :)
 Emon
06-12-2003, 3:59 PM
I believe the best option would be to allow for only adjustment of hue, and limit the amount of saturation and luminosity that can be adjusted. This way you keep out the invisible sabers (where you only see the core 'cause someone turned saturation way down), and keeps out the ugly, superbright colors because some idiot turned the saturation way up.
 praenuntius
06-13-2003, 2:05 AM
I think that there should be as much customization as possible, especially now considering there aren't as many races and genders to choose from as we had all hoped.

There should just be lots of server variables that control stuff like limiting colour choice. Or the other idea that I really like (that's been previously mentioned by Reb Starblazer, I believe) is that you can decide how other characters are limited on your own screen. I guess this could be a much more customizable adaptation of the "force player model" setting.
 HertogJan
06-13-2003, 6:42 AM
Originally posted by Emon
I believe the best option would be to allow for only adjustment of hue, and limit the amount of saturation and luminosity that can be adjusted. This way you keep out the invisible sabers (where you only see the core 'cause someone turned saturation way down), and keeps out the ugly, superbright colors because some idiot turned the saturation way up.

Yeah that would be the best I think.. Only let ppl choose different shades of blue, green, red etc...
Page: 1 of 1