Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Death animations????

Page: 1 of 1
 taekwondo joe
05-16-2003, 10:56 PM
qhat is this, i watched the trailer, and it has death animations, same as JO's, i thought was were promissed rag doll, just like unreal tournament 2003, this is no rag doll, any answers on what is going on?
 Tinny
05-16-2003, 11:14 PM
they said rag doll skeletal system, is that the same as rag doll physics?
 Taos
05-16-2003, 11:18 PM
I don't remeber them promising anything. Also, this is just a short little preview of a game that's not coming out for months. My point is, it will most likely be different by the time they are ready to release the game.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-16-2003, 11:20 PM
I noticed that also. I hope that they were just turned off or it was an old build of the game. First time I saw the effect in UT03 it was soo cool, I was like, wow that looks real!
 Prime
05-17-2003, 1:00 AM
Does a make a huge difference either way?
 StormHammer
05-17-2003, 1:06 AM
Well, from what I remember during it's development, they didn't even put the ragdoll death animations into UT2K3 until late in development...and as for Unreal 2, it was pretty much a last-minute decision.

If the capability is there, and they have time to tweak it so it looks good, then it will probably be in there. But as stated above...they have quite some time to go in the development of the game yet, and a short preview trailer is not entirely representative of what will be in the final game.
 Solbe M'ko
05-17-2003, 5:08 AM
YES it makes a difference!
Go back to an old FPS like Doom. If you only have one death animation, you can't do cool stuff and add finese to your kills. I liked JO bacause it had losts of animations, but UT2K3 was infinitely better (literally) and U2 was even better than that (anims+ragdoll=perfect). The first time I played the UT2k3 demo, I spent 10 minutes playing the game and fifty minutes falling into that hole with all the crisscrossing bars. To some, it may not be important to have spectacular death sequences in a game, and I respact that, but for me it makes the game that much deeper. I went back and refought literally hundreds of battles in JO bacause I wasn't satisfied in how many flips and spins I did. That may sound lame, but it added tremendously to the replay value. Unreal didn't have the type of gameplay that allowed for that so I think ragdoll in JA would be something totally new and very interesting.
 HertogJan
05-17-2003, 6:21 AM
Yeah in an E3 article they stated that JA will have ragdoll death animations, but I didn't see it in the trailer... Well it's probably be added in the final game, but to be honest, I though the animations in JO were pretty cool too :) Stormies died very convincingly :D
 Sam Fisher
05-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Especially when you shoot them in the head.
 taekwondo joe
05-17-2003, 11:34 AM
yes JO had some of the best deaths around, just rag doll is soooo much better, never ha i got a game were i liked to die, may sound wierd, but when i am killed, i dont respawn untill my guy is flat on the floor, just way to much fun watching him die, lol. but any way thanx for answereing my question :)
 Sam Fisher
05-17-2003, 2:15 PM
No problem.... from all of us.
 WarteX
05-17-2003, 2:38 PM
I though the animations in JO were pretty cool too Stormies died very convincingly

A stormie shouting 3 times and dying in 10 seconds doesnt make sense 2 me after slicing off his hand...:rolleyes:
 Solbe M'ko
05-17-2003, 3:00 PM
Wart, you'd probably hate Rogue Spear. In THAT game, every single death animation took more than five seconds. It was hard to tell if the guy was dead or just hurt. JO had nice animations, yes, but some were misplaced.

-PS- I found a way to kill reborn with the sniper rifle. Shoot about at the crotch/belt buckle and there's a good chance he wont dodge.
 WarteX
05-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Wart, you'd probably hate Rogue Spear. In THAT game, every single death animation took more than five seconds. It was hard to tell if the guy was dead or just hurt. JO had nice animations, yes, but some were misplaced.

Hehe, well raven is famous for doing exaggerated death animations, it acutally gives their games a "raven feeling" ;).
 Emon
05-18-2003, 2:02 PM
1. That's an old build of the game, James Monroe pointed that out in his latest .plan update.

2. Ragdoll skelaton system doesn't necessarily mean ragdoll physics. Ragdoll skelaton probably refers to the body conforming to the environment when limp, like in SoF2. Corpses will fold in tight spaces, or hang over ledges. SoF2 still uses conventional death animations, however.

3. I'm sure at the least they'll have the ragdoll skelaton like in SoF2, especially since they announced that they would. Ragdoll physics, maybe.
Page: 1 of 1