Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sniper Weapons

Page: 1 of 1
 ewok mercenary
05-16-2003, 7:31 PM
I know you guys have repeatedly said that you aren't going to include any new weapons but I think this is an idea worth thinking seriously about.

A sniper rifle.

In JKII I really enjoyed using the scope on the disruptor rifle and it added another dimension to the gameplay of levels such as Nar Shaddaa streets. If it is possible I would love to see some kind of sniper's weapon in the mod and I think it would work excellently in large outdoor areas like Fest and, err.. the snowy one. The canyons of Fest would make for some great sniping and add significantly to the tension of the level, causing players to think a little more carefully before running out into the open.

If implemented well, a long range sniper rifle would really add to the mod something which was really unavailable to games back when Dark Forces was originally created. If you didn't want to add another weapon then maybe you could modify one of the existing weapons or even *(please don't hunt me down for saying this) replace one of them. I wouldn't really mind too much if it meant getting a sniper rifle (Hey, there's a sniper scope view on the back of the CD...).

Here's another thought (Hmm... I'm thinking too much): If you did create a new weapon (You're gettin far too ahead of yourself Ewok....) you could make it a Bryar rifle:
"Actually this weapon [Modified Bryar pistol] is a Bryar rifle with the barrel and muzzle shortened. Hence "modified" in the name. Saying it was a rifle would just confuse people." - Justin Chin, DF design team
So it would fit in with the original ideas of the design team...

Anyway, I've been going on a bit much now but please seriously consider this as it would add another dimension to the gameplay and you have said before that you are trying to remake the game as it would have been made today.

Oh and btw, if you had trouble understanding some (Or all) of this post, it's because I'm very tired...
*falls off chair and hits the "Submit New Thread" button on the way down*
 chris the cynic
05-16-2003, 7:48 PM
I'm betting that the answer is no. I would like to see a well done version of a Bryar rifle, but it wouldn't fit the gameplay of the original Dark Forces.
 The_One
05-17-2003, 10:38 AM
The team are not allowed to comment on this issue.

No amount of nagging or questions will get you an answer other than "no comment".

Move along now...
 Geoffrey S
05-17-2003, 11:16 AM
It would certainly add some depth to the missions. No comment sounds okay for now.
 Katarn07
05-17-2003, 11:45 AM
I could have sworn I posted here last night :confused:

If[ this is done, make it the alt fire for the E-11, like it was in MotS. Don't make it disintegrate them either.

But the scope must be obtainable later in the game. Personally, I would not use it. And I am sure many others wouldn't. It would be a waste of time, for most of DF's combat is in your face action, not snipe half the stormies across the canyon before getting into the base...

Also, it would only be good for some human people, because Grans have a high HP, as do Trandos and Gammoreans. And Nar Shaddaa is the one level I could see myself using it, and as we know, stormies aren't your main concern in that level...
 ewok mercenary
05-17-2003, 1:36 PM
"No comment" sounds good. Sounds a lot more promising than "No!!!! We will never implement a sniper weapon and why on Earth did you even have the stupity to suggest we should?!?!" ;)

And Katarn, you say that most of DF's combat is in-your-face action but I think that's exactly why it could do with a sniper rifle. It just gets a little repetitive, having no change in gameplay and having a scoped weapon would encourage players to use different methods on the larger outdoor levels.

Well that's what I think anyway :)
 michael_collins
05-17-2003, 5:35 PM
Fixed zoom? like the military version of the Steyr AUG? (2x15 zoom) I really cant see the E-11 being used as a long range rifle but something like the AUG or the FG-42 Paratroop rifle outta RtCW might work well.

@ Katarn's concerns about lack of use, I think novelty value for it would be one thing, and also, its handy if you wish to nail maybe one or two stormies or maybe a trando with a headshot at medium range.

I can see the uses for it, but the mod team has the final say :D
 StormHammer
05-17-2003, 8:20 PM
Well, it's up to the MOD team, one way or another.

Personally I like the idea of a sniper weapon. I like sniping in other games, and I can see where there might be a few opportunities to use it in a DF context...mostly in the outdoor areas, such as those with wide chasms, etc. It would be a nice addition, but not essential. :)
 Jeff 42
05-17-2003, 11:14 PM
The sniping in MotS is really nonsensical if you think about it. Adding a scope to the stormtrooper rifle magically makes it ultra-accurate and more powerful? :rolleyes:

I really like the disruptor in JO, on the other hand. I guess having a sniper weapon in the DF mod could be fun, but personally I don't think there's really enough reason to change the game in that way.
 Solbe M'ko
05-18-2003, 12:17 AM
How bout those really uncool tuskan raider projectile weapons from TPM?
 Fracman
05-18-2003, 8:03 AM
Now this makes me wonder... why is the "Tusken Raider" Solbe M'ko (see above his avatar picture) speaking of "uncool" Tusken blaster but on the other hand suggesting it :snear: :confused: :disaprove

Here the answer is clear: NO. There are no Tusken in DF and never will be in DFMOD, therfore the weapon aswell won't be included.
 michael_collins
05-18-2003, 8:14 PM
I think they were desperate in MOTS and badly needed new weapons, a scope would have worked lol.
 ewok mercenary
05-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Although having a tusken raider rifle in Dark Forces would be a tad, well... stupid, I think that a projectile weapon like Zam Wesell's would be pretty cool to have.
 michael_collins
05-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Well no sniper rifle, what about the electrobinoculars ?
 The_One
05-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Wait and see. I'm (well, we're) being "hush hush" about this ;)
 Geoffrey S
05-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Very subtle.
 chris the cynic
05-24-2003, 8:44 PM
I think that a Bryar rifle would work, you don't just lop off most of a gun and have the same quality. In conventional weapons changeing a rifle into a pistol like that would lose accuracy (a lot of it) but the Bryar pistol is one of the most accurate weapons in the game. So the rest of the gun was probably to make it either silent (no fun) or more powerful. (I can't see puting stuff to make it fire faster in forward bit of the gun.)

So put a scope on it and you should have an ok sniper rifle. It would ceirtanily make more sense to find a Byar rifle than pistol (like you do all over the place in Jedi Knight.)
 ewok mercenary
05-25-2003, 7:39 AM
The part of the rifle that is removed on the Bryar pistol might be some kind of 'accelerator', like on the clone trooper rifle and gives it greater distance and speed. And there might have been a section behind the breech that was removed that did increase firing speed.
 chris the cynic
05-25-2003, 8:43 PM
This is true.
 GSR_skywalker
05-30-2003, 1:50 AM
the E-11 blaster rifle has a scope ontop of it, maybe thell add some zoom for it
 chris the cynic
05-30-2003, 8:21 PM
It has a scope, but it doesn't have the accuracy.
 Katarn07
05-30-2003, 9:31 PM
Originally posted by chris the cynic
It has a scope, but it doesn't have the accuracy.

As it didn't in MotS, but with a scope as an alt fire, it would ;) At least they could make it like that if they do do it.
 The_One
05-31-2003, 9:04 AM
Can we put this to rest now? You'll find out when the MOD is released, and I'm not exactly being subtle here - you've probably all figured out the answer by now.
 Fracman
05-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Heh... let them, it's funny ;)
 ewok mercenary
06-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing: IF there is a sniper weapon, could you give it a laser sight, because that would look soooo cool.
 Neverhoodian
07-10-2003, 9:50 PM
Just a few comments concerning this and related topics:

There are some gamers who have never played Dark Forces but want to. (*cough* ME *cough*) If the gameplay was altered too much in this upcoming mod, the same gameplay experience that gamers love about Dark Forces would be lost and new players wouldn't be able to experience that "old school" feel. Still others can no longer run Dark Forces on their new computers and are dying to play the game again. One must keep in mind that the goal of this mod (please correct me if I'm wrong) is to revive Dark Forces in it's entirety on a new gaming engine. I've never played Dark Forces, (what?! I did NOT say that earlier!;) ) and the finished mod I would like to play would emulate the original game as much as possible so I can finally say I have played the game that started it all. (well, the JK series, anyway)

btw, progress looks good. Keep up the modding magic!:fett:
 ewok mercenary
07-12-2003, 10:56 AM
But you have to remember the gameplay on the original game was very limited, and if it is kept exactly the same as the original, it could get very tedious, very quickly. IMHO I think this mod shouldn't just be for nostalgia's sake, it should be more varied and enjoyable for anyone to play.
 Neverhoodian
07-12-2003, 3:11 PM
Well, it sounds like you've played DF before, ewok, so you would be more aware of the game's limitations than me. Now that I think about it, I could see how a direct port would be boring. I just don't want anything too radical, I guess (like the fusion cutter releasing mini-nukes:p )
 The_One
07-12-2003, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
the fusion cutter releasing mini-nukes

Now there's an idea...
 ewok mercenary
07-12-2003, 7:19 PM
Does that mean we might get a Sniper Mini-Nuke Fusion Cutter then? ;)
 Neverhoodian
07-13-2003, 3:30 PM
Well, it could be a secret weapon. You would have to put in a certain code or something.
 Reclaimer
07-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Sniper Rifles would be a great addtion to Outcast or Academy.
 =(BoD)= M.D.B.
08-08-2003, 6:21 PM
Don't ruin the gameplay of Dark Forces! I've played it and I don't want to have new weapons or anything. The game is great but in this time it has to old graphics. I want the mod for the NEW graphichs and the OLD gameplay. It may be included as a code or something but nothing more I think, that will ruin the gameplay.
 TK-8252
08-08-2003, 11:59 PM
I haven't played Dark Forces since I was a little kid, and I didn't even remember anything about it until I played the mod's demo. I would prefer that the mod be kept as accurate as possible to bring back the memories. Save the E-11 sniper scope for the MotS TC. :bounce1:
Page: 1 of 1