Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Colosseum WIP

Page: 1 of 2
 clu
05-16-2003, 6:00 AM
<EDIT ON 6/1/03>

Colosseum Version 1.0 has been released! You can download it from the following link:

http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis/download/index.htm)

It's around 67 meg, but if your modem is up for the challenge, give it a try. Feel free to post back and let me know what you think and if you encounter any problems. To find out more informationyou can visit my site (http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis).

-clu

p.s. I've also submitted it to pcgamemods.com, jediknightii.net, jk2files.com and massassi.net, but I'm not sure when they will get around to posting it.

</EDIT ON 6/1/03>

I've been working on this for a while but I thought I'd finally post some screenies. It's a single player campaign that takes place in ancient Rome:

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/01.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/02.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/03.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/04.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0000.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0001.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0002.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0003.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0004.jpg)

http://www.jakekeating.com/pub/screens_for_beta/shot0006.jpg)

-clu
 Kengo
05-16-2003, 7:09 AM
:eyeraise: *Checks again to make sure he didn't imagine it*
:drop2:

Well, your avatar finally makes sense! This actually looks like another game created with the Q3 engine, got to be the most completely modded (proper) SP campaign I've seen by a distance, very, very impressive! Did you create all those skins yourself or did you call in outside help for that?

This is.....way too good. Just.....very amazing. So, can you reveal details of the plot, and what do you think the ETA for this mod is, and what percent would you estimate you are completed so far on this? Wow, just wow.
:)
 Pnut_Man
05-16-2003, 8:22 AM
I can't believe you converted jedi outcast into a gladiator game...That takes alot of work, i'm very impressed :)
 lassev
05-16-2003, 8:32 AM
Amazing. Truly amazing to the last detail. I had no idea. Considering all those little questions of yours I should have guessed this will be such a perfect entirety. I can't wait to play this. I wonder what kind of sounds you have added?
 The Truthful Liar
05-16-2003, 9:35 AM
Top notch work indeed!
 Leslie Judge
05-16-2003, 12:53 PM
I know this is not a constructive criticism but...

No words... :) Whoa! And etc. :D
 clu
05-16-2003, 4:47 PM
Hey thanks so much for the positive feedback.

Originally posted by Kengo
Did you create all those skins yourself or did you call in outside help for that?

I did all the models/skins myself. It's my first foray into mapping/modelling/modding etc and I just wanted to do it all to try to teach myself (with tons of help from this excellent forum of course) :D

So, can you reveal details of the plot, and what do you think the ETA for this mod is, and what percent would you estimate you are completed so far on this?

It's a pretty short campaign. The last level is complete (trying to beta test (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99520) it right now) and there will probably be three total. The majority of art assets are complete (textures, models, audio, interface) so now it's all mapping and scripting.

Plotwise, you play the role of a two-bit thief named Gluteus. In the last level you find yourself on the emperor's bad side and awaiting death in the Colosseum dungeon. Wacky fun and mahem ensue. :D

This actually looks like another game created with the Q3 engine?

I saw Lucasarts doing an RPG called "Gladius". Is this the one you mean or another?

Originally posted by Lassev
I wonder what kind of sounds you have added?[/B]

Lots of swords clanging, flesh slicing and crowds cheering!

-clu
 wedge2211
05-16-2003, 6:53 PM
*battle music from Hans Zimmer's Gladiator score starts playing in Wedge's head*

Hey..."Gluteus"...that's definitely a play on the main character of Gladiator's name. Very tongue-in-cheek.

That map, textures, models, weapons, all look incredibly cool. I wanna play.
 clu
05-16-2003, 7:05 PM
Yeah that music is excellent. I listened to that whole soundtrack way too much while making this thing. Just makes you want to go out and pick a swordfight with someone.

-clu
 DarkLord60
05-16-2003, 9:20 PM
No freakin way that is JO that is awesome good work.
 master_thomas
05-17-2003, 1:27 AM
I wish I could do nearly as good as that. Just...amazing.

The flower petals (those are what the red things are coming out of the sky, right?) are modified snow, aren't they?
 clu
05-17-2003, 4:57 AM
Originally posted by master_thomas
The flower petals (those are what the red things are coming out of the sky, right?) are modified snow, aren't they?

It's an animated shader. Terry DeLany did an excellent tutorial on "falling leaves" available at quake3.qeradiant.com. Just substituted leaves for some rose petals.

-clu
 Altus_Thrawn
05-17-2003, 9:57 AM
Wowwwwwwwwwww
 __CKY__
05-17-2003, 3:44 PM
:eek: That is so awesome...Where can I get it?? lol
 clu
05-17-2003, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by __CKY__
That is so awesome...Where can I get it?? lol I Am a Beta tester Pick me to Beta for you

I've got a couple people beta testing one demo level right now. If you're interested, email me at jakekeating@hotmail.com and I'll get you a copy.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99520)

(fair warning - the PK3 is about 60megs at the moment due to a couple of large video ROQ files)

-clu
 Lord Glorfindel
05-18-2003, 2:07 AM
I just want to say this MOD is worth waiting for, I beta tested the demo it rocks!!! This is sure to be a great SP mod, CLU has done alot to make this mod great.
 Jrob
05-18-2003, 3:27 PM
I just tested the demo and I was utterly amazed at the effort that went into this mod. This mod is definitely worth the wait. The seamless models, skins and maps is the closest I have seen in being correct to the timeline.

Great work.
 clu
05-18-2003, 4:30 PM
Thanks Jrob and Lord G. I'm really glad you enjoyed playing through. Your feedback in the beta thread is going to help polish the level and hopefully shape the rest of the campaign.

Thanks again for taking the time to play through and for the valuable feedback.

-clu
 __CKY__
05-18-2003, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by clu
I've got a couple people beta testing one demo level right now. If you're interested, email me at jakekeating@hotmail.com and I'll get you a copy.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99520)

(fair warning - the PK3 is about 60megs at the moment due to a couple of large video ROQ files)

-clu

Alright :) you'll probaly get an email from me in like err a minute lol. And 60 Megs is alright with me its well worth it :).
 lassev
05-19-2003, 5:11 AM
Now that I have beta tested Colosseum, I can say this demo is absolutely worth every byte you download. Have a look inside the .pk3 and you'll notice it's 100% business. This is a unique level, and one you don't want to miss.
 Prime
05-19-2003, 1:29 PM
Incredible!
 clu
05-19-2003, 5:33 PM
Thanks again to lassev for testing (100% business...I love it). I mentioned in the beta thread that I highly recommend lassev and Lord Glorfindel for thourough beta testing. The feedback I got was detailed and informative.

Thanks again gents!

-clu
 Lord Glorfindel
05-19-2003, 7:41 PM
Originally posted by clu

Thanks again gents!

-clu

your welcome! I have one question though, when will this mod be made public?
 clu
05-20-2003, 12:23 AM
As soon as I get feedback from all the beta testers, I'll work on implementing some changes then just release the demo (probably a few weeks just to be conservative). The whole campaign (all three levels) is harder to predict. "When it's done" I guess!

Any recommendations where to try to post this thing when its done? I know "pcgamemods" seems like a cool site, but I'm pretty ignorant of these things. Plus I don't know if they'll take a 60meg file.

-clu
 Lord Glorfindel
05-20-2003, 1:20 AM
I believe JKII.net biggest file they have on there server is the Dark Forces Demo, which is 30Megs, and thats the biggest file I can find in any JKII site
 clu
05-20-2003, 1:23 AM
Oh well. Probably just end up posting it on my site if worse comes to worse.

-clu
 Kengo
05-20-2003, 10:10 AM
I am pretty certain pcgamemods would allow you a file of a large size man. You'll do well to get a file on JKII.net, their file server has been down for what, 4 months? Massassi.net would also put a file that big up I'd have thought, but their file server is also down ATM. JK2Files would probabaly post it too, they like mods in particular it seems. I doubt a massive file size will stop them, think of all these 120 MEG movies of upcoming games and such...

I finished the download last night, I will now procede to give it a go, feedback later today :)
 Kengo
05-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Having played it a little I can say this: The screenshots don't do it justice. This is definately worth that download, even at the 7KB/second that I get :D This is unique.
 clu
05-20-2003, 8:49 PM
Hey, thanks again, Kengo. Especially considering that massive 7 kb/sec throughput you're dealing with.

<praise 4 kengo>
Again, I'd just like to say that Kengo's feedback was extremely detailed and helpful. Lassev suggested I contact Kengo and I can say he has an excellent set of eyes for reviewing maps constructively. Thanks again, sir.
</praise 4 kengo>

[B]I am pretty certain pcgamemods would allow you a file of a large size man. You'll do well to get a file on JKII.net, their file server has been down for what, 4 months? Massassi.net would also put a file that big up I'd have thought, but their file server is also down ATM. JK2Files would probabaly post it too, they like mods in particular it seems. I doubt a massive file size will stop them, think of all these 120 MEG movies of upcoming games and such...[B]

Cool, I'll check them all out when this thing is finished. Thanks again.

-clu
 Lord Glorfindel
06-06-2003, 2:33 AM
How is the work coming along on this mod clu?
 clu
06-06-2003, 9:03 AM
Should be out soon. I actually had to take a bit of a break from it since I just graduated and am in the process of moving. If all goes well it should be out in a few weeks now. I'll post back when it's done.

-clu
 Prime
06-06-2003, 1:59 PM
Can't wait!
 Arkum
06-13-2003, 2:32 AM
reminds of a great movie, Gladiator. man, this looks SWEET. finally, something that'll be worth downloading. cant wiat.
 Louis
06-13-2003, 11:23 AM
About the file uploading, I am somewhat a webmaster myself and just wanted to say that I think Kengo is right, definately try to get it on all 4 main servers (pcgamemods [most important IMO], jediknightii.net, jk2files.com, massassi.net), of course some are down but you will get lots of downloaders even if you just the file on 1 or 2.

It's looking great man, Kengo has told me that it's really really really amazing :)
 clu
06-15-2003, 9:15 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info and comments. Something must be up with the email notification...I never seem to get notified when there are new posts on this thread.

Should be coming soon. Not much to finish, just a matter of finding the time now to sit down and do it.

-clu
 clu
07-01-2003, 2:34 PM
Colosseum Version 1.0 has been released! You can download it from the following link:

It's around 67 meg, but if your modem is up for the challenge, give it a try. Feel free to post back and let me know what you think and if you encounter any problems. To find out more informationyou can visit my site (http://www.jakekeating.com/thesis).

-clu

p.s. I've also submitted it to pcgamemods.com, jediknightii.net, jk2files.com and massassi.net, but I'm not sure when they will get around to posting it.
 Kengo
07-01-2003, 3:32 PM
Wow, amazing news man!

Congratulations to you Clu, I very much look forward to playing this! :D
 Louis
07-01-2003, 4:24 PM
WOW, I just finished this, I'm pretty much speechless...amazing, this is like a totally new game. Can't wait to see more.

One question though...on those ROQ files, what did you do to make those? Obviously you took like a movie of the scene, then created some text and rendered it, then compiled it somehow? I was just wondering, because I sorta would like to know how.
 clu
07-01-2003, 4:34 PM
Hey glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Louis
One question though...on those ROQ files, what did you do to make those?

Those ROQ videos are a combination of:

1) pre-rendered animations (3DS Max and Poser)

2) In-game recordings ("cl_avidemo 60" then pieced together in Premiere as quicktime files)

3) AfterEffects was then use to edit it all together, add text, transitions, etc.

-clu
 master_thomas
07-01-2003, 5:52 PM
Nice job, Clu. Just played it. This is a great map.

Gluteus Maximus, nice name :lol:.
 master_thomas
07-01-2003, 5:53 PM
Nice job, Clu. Just played it. This is an awsome map. I would redownload (if for some reason I needed to) this if I had to delete every other thing on my computer (except for the stuff required to play it).
Gluteus Maximus, nice name :lol:.
 wedge2211
07-02-2003, 1:05 AM
clu, this thing just blows my breath away. When you first ascend the ramp and the Gladiator growls "you're next," I actually involuntarily hit the 'S' key for a second. This level is an extremely absorbing and engaging piece of work. Kudos on the learning experience...it somehow didn't seem like I was being hit over the head with stupid trivia (since I didn't have to get info if I didn't want to [but I did]), and there's even room for learning things--ie, female gladiators--if you don't go around using everything. But the real experience here is feeling that you're a part of Gladiator. This is an application of the JO engine that I think no one could have predicted--and it's done well. Amazing.

The immersiveness of this level is what really blew me away...everything from the HUD to the weapons models to the Colosseum itself, with the single exception of *ahem* "Cool futuristic binoculars." This is certainly one of (if not THE) best SP Outcast levels to date...and I think the only level that could have given this one a run for its money in atmosphere and immersiveness is the late Party Crasher.

You demonstrate considerable skill with mapping, modelling, graphics, and structuring them in a cohesive manner. If I was your thesis advisor, I'd recommend you for magna cum laude or somesuch distinction. God, I'd love a map to be a graded assignment. Send this to Raven immediately.

(PS, can I have a look at the shader code for those rose petals?)
 superracer0022
07-02-2003, 2:14 AM
awesome job man, this is just amazing work, cant wait to see more from you
 clu
07-02-2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by master_thomas
I would redownload (if for some reason I needed to) this if I had to delete every other thing on my computer (except for the stuff required to play it).

Thanks much, really glad it was worth the download.

Originally posted by wedge2211
PS, can I have a look at the shader code for those rose petals?)

I should actually include this tutorial (http://quake3.qeradiant.com/q3afiles/leaves.htm) in my readme....it was exactly what I needed to do the rose petals. Also help yourself to all my shader code in the PK3 in "colo.shader".

Hey thanks for the kind words and the little blurb on JK2review.com as well. :D I was definitely going for an immersive feel so I'm psyched you were into it. I love games where you feel like you are totally transported to another time and place. I'm a pretty huge fan of "historical shooters" like Medal of Honor and Vietcong.

-clu
 Eldritch
07-02-2003, 4:06 PM
Clu releases Colluseum Beta
Community cheers as SP masterpiece heats up monitors everwhere!
New York, New York
by Eldritch, Staff Editor

7.2.2003 - Clu released his eagerly awaited SP project, Colluseum yesterday to hordes of appreciative crowds salivating to get their hands on such a tasty looking project. "I've been salivating waiting to get my hands on such a tasty looking project," one random homeless man from the crowd was quoted as saying. And tasty it is. From the falling rose petals to the exquisite textures and custom models, no expense has been spared to totally immerse players into a modification that has absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars. After playing, one fan said, "I normally kill people with lightsabers, but cutting them up with a roman sword was a refreshing change. And I like how I actually learned some useful historical information. Trivial Pursuit championships, here I come!" This reporter commends Clu for his interesting and entertaining forray into the world of Edutainment. Back to you in the studio, Bob.

Bob?

Aw, crap. This is a newspaper story, not live TV. Oh well. They'll never print this. The editor will catch it and take it out.
 Kengo
07-02-2003, 5:45 PM
I think Eldritch has finally cracked...still, his words are true!

The whole level is a joy to play from first to last, unbelievably complete modification together with a really great level = awesome stuff :)
 clu
07-02-2003, 6:50 PM
Nice one! Stop the presses!

Kengo, I incorporated a bunch of your beta comments into the final map. I also hacked the AI a bit (through some ugly and probably unnecessary scripting) to make it so you couldn't let your immortal allies do all the work.

Glad you both dig it.

-clu
 lassev
07-03-2003, 3:48 AM
Amazing level. I knew it, when I saw the first screenshot, but I was amazed when I played the beta some time ago. Somebody just stated there's very little one can do without the source code. Well, Clu has showed us just what you can do without it, if you have the will and (considerable) skills.

The beta was so finished already there was hardly anything to suggest to be altered. Now it's perfect. It starts like a movie, and it lived like a good movie in my mind, forcing me to ponder what really had happened to Gluteus before the Colossuem, or will happen after that.
 Leslie Judge
07-03-2003, 9:24 AM
Uhh! I'm still shocked. :)

I'll play it again today after work. The feeling of slashing those romans is unbelievably gooooood. Hehh, call me blood-thirsty. :D (Is there a vampire smiley?)

clu, can I call you master?
 HornyToad
07-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by clu
[B]Colosseum Version 1.0 has been released! You can download it from the following link:

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears !

dude! you have made an incredible game ! :D

just finished it and it rocks !

solid - bro! :cool: its wicked cool !

Now this, is a Total Conversion!

i hope you do decide to make more levels and that many other mappers decide to get on board.

your use of history facts is rather a nice touch, and adds to the in-game fun.

now, it needs some beasts, lions.
A net for the one with the tridon guy (sp?)
and some shields, don't forget the shields.

Oh and of course, chariot race anyone ?

definetly a 10 out of 10 !

now, if the game companies see this, you might get a job in the industry.

OT: is there a command line option to start jk2 with the mod activated and the latest quicksave loaded ?

HT

ps: just 1 small tiny thing

i would put some victory music at the end, it would finish the level quite nicely, something with trumpets and horns and big drums like those slave ships have to maintain rythm

. Although your way is nice too ;-) hehe
Page: 1 of 2