Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

CTF_Canyon map finished.

Page: 1 of 1
 The Truthful Liar
05-13-2003, 10:37 PM
 Pnut_Man
05-13-2003, 11:50 PM
I say that's one high quality CTF map. I'd like to play there :D
 Louis
05-14-2003, 2:51 AM
Great map! Looking forward to playing it.
 Jorus Ardel
05-14-2003, 4:30 PM
That's a great looking map. How's the framerate? Only reason I ask is because my current video sucks, and it looks like you have a lot of brushes.
 The Truthful Liar
05-14-2003, 5:09 PM
About 80 fps solid for most people.
 wedge2211
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
It's just glass. Mirrors would be...uh...a bad idea.
 Altus_Thrawn
05-17-2003, 8:44 AM
Looks excellent.
 __CKY__
05-17-2003, 3:51 PM
Very good looking. I like how you made all the little walkways that you can fall off lol.
 Emon
05-20-2003, 9:41 PM
You need less ambient lighting/more light sources, and more variation in canyon textures. Making them darker overall would also help them to fit in. An easy way to variate them would be brightness.

Other than that, it looks excellent. I like the architecture a lot, especially the vastness. That open feeling was missing in JO.
 The Truthful Liar
05-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. ; )

There wasn't any ambient lighting in those shots. I've managed to brighten it up abit since, mainly around the middle.

I had openness in mind when constructing the map, to bring back what JK1 had and which JK2 lacked. I'd also like to point out that this map is meant mainly for gameplay, there are haredly any details placed (which is going against the other maps I'm working on), the most you'll see are railings in the team bases. :]

I'll consider variating the textures' brightness, although I do want to get this map out the door soon, probably by this friday.
 starunner
05-21-2003, 5:36 AM
Looks good, I really like those metal fence/sheilds that protect the bases. Plus you've managed to avoid that repeating rock effect, (something I'm trying to get to grips with at the moment). I personally don't think you need to vary the rock any more than you already have.

About the lighting, I'm not sure Emon was suggesting you'd used the actual "ambient light" setting. I think he meant that most of the light seems to be coming from the sky, rather than from artificial sources. Adding these sources might add to the atmospheric depth and create a more "industrial" look to the more built-up areas (such as the flag bases). I wouldn't say the map needs it though. It looks excellent as it is. :)
 The Truthful Liar
05-22-2003, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by starunner
Looks good, I really like those metal fence/sheilds that protect the bases. Plus you've managed to avoid that repeating rock effect, (something I'm trying to get to grips with at the moment). I personally don't think you need to vary the rock any more than you already have.

About the lighting, I'm not sure Emon was suggesting you'd used the actual "ambient light" setting. I think he meant that most of the light seems to be coming from the sky, rather than from artificial sources. Adding these sources might add to the atmospheric depth and create a more "industrial" look to the more built-up areas (such as the flag bases). I wouldn't say the map needs it though. It looks excellent as it is. :)

Ah. ; )

Working for a release tomorrow! :]

So far I'll submit to massassi.net and pcgamemods.com. I can't think of any other prominent jk2 file sites out there.
 Kengo
05-22-2003, 1:48 PM
JK2Files maybe?

This map sure looks a lot of fun, rocks look good to me...reminds me of badlands from TFC a little, one of my all time faves.

TL, you're a file poster at jediknightii.net aren't you? Whats going on with that, is the server still down/ Its been months and months...
 The Truthful Liar
05-26-2003, 4:40 PM
The jediknightii.net file section is down untill furthur notice.

CTF Canyon has been released, download and vote!: http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=894b77f805bd94d292574c38c5d628d5)
 mariners2001
05-26-2003, 11:35 PM
looks nice...

bot support?
 The Truthful Liar
05-27-2003, 1:02 PM
No. Who plays with bots? :|
 Eldritch
05-27-2003, 1:31 PM
Lots of people. Especially ones who want to get a little practice in on your map without playing it online.

Bot support should be included with every decent map, IMO.
 wedge2211
05-27-2003, 3:04 PM
I hope TL was sarcastic there, in which case I also hope El was sarcastic, in which case I might be kind of sarcastic.
 Wudan
05-27-2003, 6:53 PM
Well, bots suck in general, but bot support takes 5 minutes to add.
 Louis
05-31-2003, 3:06 AM
Unfortunately, he was not joking...but I did take a look at it, very nice overall gives a kind of JK/MOTS feeling.
 Zappa_0
06-04-2003, 1:33 AM
Wow! This maps takes me back to my old JK days of going to The Valley Of The Jedi. Very Nice map, I hope you continue to work on more maps like this in the future. Keep up your good work! :D
 Jeff 42
06-07-2003, 3:18 PM
I love this map! The wide-open nature of the place is so great. You can get some really nice speed built up strafe jumping along the lower or middle levels, but you have to be careful or you'll fall to your death. I've already played it a few times on the Flux Gateway server and it's been great fun. But unfortunately the biggest game I've played it in was about 8 people, and I really think this map would be ideal for about twice that many, but I'm afraid I'll never get to experience that.
 Jeff 42
10-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey, any chance this awesome map will be converted and released for JA? I just tried playing it in JA and it seems to work fine except that the sky is completely messed up. I don't think a whole lot of people actually got to play this map for JK2 and with a re-release for JA I bet it would gain a wider audience. It's really a fantastic map.
 The Truthful Liar
10-22-2003, 5:25 PM
Thanks for your comments Jeff, I'm back on LF now but unfortunately won't be playing JA. I might do a re-release, if it's not to late.
 Wudan
10-22-2003, 5:45 PM
No JA for the Liar?

Let's hope that's a Lie .... but wait! He's also Truthful! It's sooo confusing!
 shadowtrooper01
11-02-2003, 6:27 PM
behold; the llinks don't work.
 Lil Killa
11-02-2003, 8:41 PM
Originally posted by shadowtrooper01
behold; the llinks don't work.

If you mean the screenshots then I'm not surprised they are gone considering how old this thread is, but if you mean the PCGM link then the site had a makeover not too long ago but the map can be found HERE (http://www.pcgamemods.com/1588/).

Enjoy ;)
Page: 1 of 1