Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Items about Modding the game

Page: 1 of 1
 Bob Gnarly
05-08-2003, 8:53 AM
all we know so far is how to edit sounds and the splash screen which isnt enough, so im goving up, they IJ$TET guys coded all the files so that this would not happen im guessing so theres no real point unless you want to edit the sounds.

thank you
 Indy4
05-08-2003, 2:33 PM
comon dont give up

soon we will be having a private board with guys that can actually figure this out

comon join

and dont give up!!!
 jp-30
05-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Jedi Outcast has Radiant for level editing, Modview for viewing in-game models & characters, and 3D Studio Max exporters for modelling, assimilate for skeletons etc etc. All supplied by Raven.

There's no-way that you can expect people to actually build edting tools for Indy from scratch.

If this is going to go anywhere, you will require tools and technical assistance from The Collective.

Otherwise you're better off making an Indy mod for Jedi Outcast or some other engine that has good support.
 nd
05-09-2003, 6:55 AM
I second that. I'm in the software business for almost 20 years now, having written and conducted around 5000 projects over that time. File formats, encryption and protocols are my bread-and-butter. Believe me, it is not hard to lay out a file format which nobody will ever be able to crack. Remember, the Macromedia file formats have never been cracked until now, and there have been a lot of talented people trying. Unless The Collective will reveal the necessary tools I say it is an illusion to think you can re-enginneer those file formats on your own.
 Indy4
05-09-2003, 11:51 AM
maybe they will release tools or at the least they could make it editable for the next game
 Gabrobot
05-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Jedi Knight didn't have any editing tools either, but people made them anyway...the problem here is that there aren't as many fans...
 jp-30
05-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
Jedi Knight didn't have any editing tools either, but people made them anyway...the problem here is that there aren't as many fans...

Re-reading your comment, I guess you refer to JK, not JO. But I'll have my rant anyway ;)

People may have made a few tools, like Milkshape importers and the odd script, but they did NOT make JK Radiant, GTK Radiant, Modview, and all the other bits presently used.

Most of the editing tools for Jedi Outcast were supplied by Raven Software in their editing tools packages. Raven even wrote editing tutorials to help modders get started.

http://www2.ravensoft.com/jedioutcast/)

^
|

That doesn't apply if you're talking JK, not JO, but the following does;

It's the support from developers (and the EULA that actually stated you couldn't legally edit the game) that has stalled Indy Jones editing, nothing to do with the fanbase at all.

That and the fact there's no Multiplayer support in Indy, severely limiting any mods made.
 Bob Gnarly
05-16-2003, 9:08 AM
actually, The Collective and LucasArts went out of there way to make this game editable
 Schmatz
05-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Where does it say that? I mean if it's not multiplayer I don't see a point in editing the game much at all, besides maybe changing colors of stuff or skins of models or guns. All little stuff that isnt worth it. Thats why there isnt a rush to get editing tools.
 Bob Gnarly
05-17-2003, 8:48 AM
thats not all true Schmatz SP games are fun to edit too.
 Gabrobot
05-18-2003, 4:24 PM
Single Player level editors are the ones with the better skills. :D
 jp-30
05-18-2003, 7:35 PM
> actually, The Collective and LucasArts went out of there way to make this game editable

Uhh. Can you elaborate on this statement, please?
 Bob Gnarly
05-18-2003, 7:39 PM
I'm saying that they did everything they could to make it editable for gamers
 jp-30
05-18-2003, 7:47 PM
Do we have a model viewer, or a way of making new maps or characters? Or a way of packing and unpacking file archives?

Sure you can change a couple of properties in the weapons damage textfiles or whatever, but I think you're overstating the case if you say they went out of their way to make the game editible.

EDIT: spelling
 Bob Gnarly
05-18-2003, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by jp-30
Do we have a model viewer, or a way of making new maps or characters? Or a waty of packig and unpacking file archives?

Sure you can change a couple of properties in the weapons damage textfiles or whatever, but I think you're overstating the case if you say they went out of their way to make the game editible. No actually im not, i sent a sample file of one of the meshs and one of the models to a friend and hes getting there...
 Indy4
05-19-2003, 7:15 PM

It's the support from developers (and the EULA that actually stated you couldn't legally edit the game) that has stalled Indy Jones editing, nothing to do with the fanbase at all.

Remeber I got confirmation that if you release your mods/tools/whatever at www.lucasfiles.com) then its legal

www.lucasfiles.com) is authorized by lucasarts

this allows us to edit but first we have to figure how to edit

We will soon be having a private Board that will allow us to converse and figure out how to edit Emperor's Tomb and Infernal Machine

We are having a private board because the information we will use and figure out can be used for other games and the other games might say its illagal to edit the game.

So if you want to be on the team

email:

aaron@theindyexperience.com

I hope to see you their
 jp-30
05-19-2003, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by Indy4
[B]Remeber I got confirmation that if you release your mods/tools/whatever at www.lucasfiles.com) then its legal

Yes. I know this, and you know this.

But my point was that the EULA doesn't state this, and so a number of potential modders will be turned off right there, they simply don't know about the progress you made in securing the right to edit.
 Indy4
05-19-2003, 9:41 PM
Yes. I know this, and you know this.

But my point was that the EULA doesn't state this, and so a number of potential modders will be turned off right there, they simply don't know about the progress you made in securing the right to edit.

Then this news should really be posted at lucasarts.com

Its wierd with JO or any starwars game people are soo anxious to edit the game. They get so excited when tools come out. People make their own tools and whatnought. But with Indiana Jones I say its editable but we need people to figure it out and all people say is okay, now what?. And when I say join the team to help us nobody says/does anything. Doesnt anyone want to play/create their own Indy adventure in 3d or levels from the movies?????

Help
 Skinkie
05-20-2003, 12:14 AM
I've mentioned this before, but I don't think anybody tried it. Post over in The Swamp of the JO forums to see if any of their modders are Indy fans and would be willing to help you out.
 Indy4
05-20-2003, 12:34 AM
If I do I need support from you all. I cant do this alone.
 jp-30
05-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Well, as soon as we have a way of extracting and recompiling models, I'll be mucking about trying to reskin them.
 Bob Gnarly
05-20-2003, 5:59 PM
actually you cant remodel or reskin the files they've been compiled for the game to recognize them only, we have to get the originals to be able to compile them.
 StormHammer
05-23-2003, 3:44 PM
Indy4, I wish I could help, but I don't have the experience with this sort of thing. :(

I wish you guys the best of luck with this. I'd really like that camera-lock behind Indy if it can be done.

It's a shame Lucasarts/Collective can't release some tools for the game...
 Indy4
05-23-2003, 10:15 PM
can you at least advertise the team

and tell people about the private forum

PLEASE

We need people if you want to edit this game

TIE.c's 'Emperor's Tomb' Dev. Team! -

05-22-03 - Posted by Aaron

Good news! Remember the story last month how you can edit 'Emperor's Tomb' and submit mods through LucasFiles? Well, we have started work on our own Development Team that we will be starting soon! Our goal is to improve 'Emperor's Tomb' in any way we can, by adding and creating levels, new characters, and whatever else we can think of! So if you have experience in any kind of programming language, or have been editing 'Emperor's Tomb' on your own, here's your chance to make a difference! If you wish to join the team, please email us at: emperorstomb@theindyexperience.com and include the following information:

Name

Qualifications (knowledge or skills in creating games and writing script)

Prior Work or References

Any other information that may pertain to the subject that you wish to present

So if you want to be on the development team, be sure to give us an email, we can use all the help we can get! See you there!

Hope You Sign Up!!!

FROM

http://www.theindyexperience.com/)
 woodenstool
06-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Perhaps someone with lot's of skill and time could make a multiplayer for Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb. Like what that guy did with Half-life and Counterstrike.
 Bob Gnarly
06-17-2003, 8:59 AM
I have alot of things i discovered about the game but I can't post them on the forums, i can only post them on the site
 Indy4
06-23-2003, 7:10 PM
can you please join our team your secrets will not be allowed to leave our private forum

and please PM me

You are a very vital part of this please join
 Yolegoman
07-11-2003, 2:37 PM
Hello Guys. I would like to join.

I don't know didly about editing except what I learned from writing .html files, but anything I can do is what I will help with.

I've played with this for a while, heres what I found out.

(I only have the demo, but will get the real game soon, I hope)

You can overwrite .boneanimation files easily, but I have not found out how to write my own. So, for instance, when the Feng Twins are walking sexily toward you, and your mom gets all huffy, you can replace "Walksexy.boneanimation" in the source files with "walkf.boneanimation" and they will walk normally like everybody else. Of course, you can do the opposite, but that just doesn't look right... although it is the funniest thing I have ever seen! :D

I don't know whether we will be able to crack the files and make our own levels. I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to stay in reality here. But there is one thing I think we can do, and I think that the Indy Community (Most of it) would thank us for: Try to replace the Evil Spirit character files with a normal ninja or the like. Same with terracota warriors, ect. I think that is the most complained about part of the game, wouldn't you agree?

And before you guys keep yelling at Lucasarts: Were lucky we have this much lenience about editing. Some of my older games are all packed into 2 seperate files that my computer can't open! :D I couldn't even steal the sounds from it! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think the most likely thing we can do with the files is try to rename the ninja files from hong kong to the spirit files from the netherworld and the emperors tomb, (I've read the walkthrough) and get rid of the supernatural junk! :D

Yolegoman
Page: 1 of 1