Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Mind Tricks

Page: 1 of 1
 Kaiser Spaso
05-06-2003, 5:34 PM
I haven't heard anything about mind tricks but i hav a few ideas.... they can make the mind trick effect someone who has a weak mind pool.............and then the mind trick will diabsle the targets chat for like 10 mins....so they can't alert every one in the area that they have seen a jedi.
 Jan Gaarni
05-06-2003, 6:40 PM
Interesting thought. :)

Also, your name on top of your head could disappear too, so that you reduce their chance of remembering it if they haven't already written it down, aswell as change the name that has already been in the chat window to unknown or something. :)

That could have been a possibility.
 StarCords
05-06-2003, 8:10 PM
I love that idea! I am hoping it gets put int the game ASAP!
 waffleman
05-06-2003, 9:21 PM
Im not big on becoming a Jedi but I would love to be able to just mess with peoples minds all the time. Although that may affect wether your sith or good. But since sith isnt available for launch then maybe it will be incorperated later
 Jodo Baas
05-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Those are some great ideas, I really like them.

But what about loot on a Jedi's body when he/she is killed? Could a character on the same account come back to retrive, say, his lightsaber so you can still keep it as a trophy? Or does whatever the Jedi carries get to be looted on the spot?
 waffleman
05-07-2003, 2:44 PM
ive heard the devs say that non-Jedis can weild lightsabers but it really will only be good for a stick it on the wall item or to be sold because its very difficult to use unless your FS.
 Dark Moon
05-07-2003, 3:00 PM
If you are a very powerful Jedi, it would be nice to be able to become "invisible", or just "unnoticeable", for a short amount of time. This would make not being able to use Jedi tricks in crowded areas seem less severe.
 waffleman
05-07-2003, 3:07 PM
ya, but I dont think invisability was ever a force power, why use them in public anyway
 Kaiser Spaso
05-07-2003, 6:48 PM
Public use of your Jedi Powers is probably never a good idea.....

Furthermore i also liked your idea about removing the name above the head temporarily Jan

Further Further more is there anyway to suggest new ideas to devs or would this just disrupted their train of thought.........I don't want to do anything that would hurt and prolong the game and/or release date.
 StarCords
05-07-2003, 9:12 PM
However the game is more or less set up so griefers can't get to jedi status.
 Xx_Patman_xX
05-29-2003, 7:21 PM
In JK Outcast mind trick make you invisible right? Thats one thouhgt. Another thought is that when you mind trick someone it opens up another window and you control that person for 10-15 seconds.
 Jackrabbit
05-30-2003, 9:03 AM
Now even I would succumb to griefing if I could do that. I'd run people off cliffs and into bases of opposite faction. I think you should just be able to go invisible.
 Lord_Vessen
05-30-2003, 12:25 PM
I don't think mind tricks would be cool. I mean its kind of hard to trick a fellow player. But an NPC...maybe you could get a discount on an item.
 dathansurehand
05-30-2003, 7:08 PM
StarCords However the game is more or less set up so griefers can't get to jedi status.

How do you mean? Referring to above.

If it is not a set path to Jedi-dom, I can't imagine why whiners couldn't stumble across their FSCS.
 Jackrabbit
05-30-2003, 7:11 PM
They could probably get FS at sometime, but I doubt they'd be able to get to Jedi.
 dathansurehand
05-30-2003, 8:15 PM
Yeah, but what exactly is meant by "griefers"? People who are only interested in complaining?:mad:
 Jackrabbit
05-30-2003, 8:20 PM
No, a "Griefer" is a person who does PvP, but usually just goes around killing people weaker than them, and ruining other people's game experience.
 dathansurehand
05-30-2003, 9:01 PM
Unfortunately ignorance comes with being new to this stuff.

Thanks, I apreciate you making wise to griefers...

:)
 Jatari Bazrak
05-30-2003, 9:24 PM
THanx I was wandering about greifers.
Luckily i haven't ran into any one like that.
 Kaiser Spaso
05-31-2003, 5:23 AM
Originally posted by Jackrabbit
No, a "Griefer" is a person who does PvP, but usually just goes around killing people weaker than them, and ruining other people's game experience.

Griefer = Pker
 Lord_Vessen
06-04-2003, 1:09 AM
I kind of hate those types of people. But whatever floats their boat...Anyway I think Griefers will not have such a good time in SWG. Because it has been stated that people will not be able to see someone's "level". They will have to judge you by your apperience. Which sometimes, looks can be decieving. So I think that it would be cool if a new kind of form of greifer appeared. Sort of like a 2.0 Version. They would dress up like noobs to attract the older Version 1.0 Griefer and kill them.
 Jatari Bazrak
06-04-2003, 2:49 PM
Ha Ha! I can see it now...
An old short stuby man is walking down the street when a huge Strong buff looking guy come buy and says..."Hey winp, let duel.
Are you sure your up to it friend? what do you take me for a chump? Come on."

So the to go into battle and the 'whimp' flies through the air kicking the guys A$$! "who's the whimp now." the 'whimp says with a smirk.
 sexxxy_mark
06-04-2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Jatari Bazrak
Ha Ha! I can see it now...
An old short stuby man is walking down the street when a huge Strong buff looking guy come buy and says..."Hey winp, let duel.
Are you sure your up to it friend? what do you take me for a chump? Come on."

So the to go into battle and the 'whimp' flies through the air kicking the guys A$$! "who's the whimp now." the 'whimp says with a smirk.

lmao!
u don't know how many times i've done that to PKers in Diablo 2.
my fun only ended in defending the meek when the new maphack could spy on your inventory.

actually, i am rather excited to see how they implement the jedi skills.

i know force jump is out of the picture...
 Xx_Patman_xX
06-04-2003, 9:07 PM
Well I think we talked about Jedi's jumping ability. We decided that the Jedi will probably be able to jump and do combat manuevers but it will be a command, there will not be a jump button to jump any time.
 Damarius
06-05-2003, 4:33 AM
I think another Force Power that should be implemented is the power to make your enemy ignore/ fall asleep. I was watching Return of the Jedi today and when Luke enters Jabbas Palace he waves his hands and makes the guards fall asleep. Therefore it would make since to have it in the game.
 Donnie Darko
06-05-2003, 11:21 AM
I thought he Gripped them and they died.....I could be wrong.
 Jackrabbit
06-05-2003, 11:23 AM
I'll let you know at 3:15.
 Lord_Vessen
06-05-2003, 12:49 PM
I would rather have force grip instead...
 Damarius
06-05-2003, 1:55 PM
I am sure there will be many to choose from. The force grip I heard was going to be implemented when they add on the dark jedi patch. Available to them only. Of course if you choose that path all the factions will be after you not just the bounties and empire.
 Jackrabbit
06-05-2003, 6:05 PM
It definitely looks like he choked them. They stumble back, grasping at their throats.
 Xx_Patman_xX
06-05-2003, 6:12 PM
Yeah I doubted their was a "Force Anestheisics". Luke force gripped them.
 Lord_Vessen
06-06-2003, 12:10 AM
I'll have to watch it to see. I'm not sure what he does.
 Damarius
06-06-2003, 12:14 AM
I didnt know he force griped them. It looks like they just go right back to being alseep or at thier post.
 Jackrabbit
06-06-2003, 9:21 AM
Maybe it's different in the original (I'm watching the Digitally blah blah version). He goes to walk into the palace, the Gamoreans block his path with their axes, he waves his hand at each of them separately, and they stumble back grabbing at their throats.
 Lord_Vessen
06-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Maybe it is different. I have that version too so....
 Donnie Darko
06-06-2003, 1:01 PM
I have my hopes up that the Jedi Mind Trick will be similar to the invisibility in Jedi Knight II. That would be awesome, being in the heat of battle and you mind trick your opponent: "where the f*** did he just go?".....*vrrroonnnnggg vvwung vppp*
 Pr1mo
06-15-2003, 12:06 AM
i think there will be different mind tricks to perform different tasks. a mind trick to trick faction police into letting them by, a mind trick to confuse ppl into thinking that they are friendly etc.
 Jatari Bazrak
06-15-2003, 2:02 AM
good point pr1mo.:D
 Seinnhai
06-23-2003, 6:51 PM
I don't see why Jedi should have to have their names over their heads at all. Think about it. When Obi-Wan walked into the cantina in Mos Eisley and chopped up Buttmouth and the Good Doctor, it's not like the whole bar pointed and screamed "IT'S OBI-WAN KENOBI, KEEEEELLLLLL HIM!"

All they did was sit there, realizing that anyone who knows how to use a lightsaber is the Empire's problem, not theirs. I think the only way a Jedi should have his name over his/her head is if he introduces her/himself.
Say if you're just in a crowd you can have your name (or an alias, a la Old Ben), and then if you need to slip away just turn your name off and sneak away.
Logically that makes sense, because if someone sees you sneaking away with no name, it's going to arouse suspicion, and then the Jedi will have to duck and cover to avoid being discovered.
The Jedi should have the ability to keep his name unknown as long as he/she follows some sort of parameters. Like, if they use a force power in radar range of more than three people, a flag goes off, or if they display thier lightsaber or something like that, the name goes up. Or if they are targeted in combat.
Jedi shouldn't be forced to walk around and advertise. Give them some credit. They were hella sneaky. The most powerful Jedi in the Galaxy hid in a swamp for, like, 20 years! And old Ben was hanging out in Vader's old backyard, kinda like just daring him to come and find him.
 Daneel
06-26-2003, 5:57 AM
I would like to see mind tricks made that can affect PCs, but only in things like combat and perception issues. ie: "These are not the droids you are looking for."

I would like the option of all players to turn off their name. I don't like the idea of everyone knowing my name. Especially if I want to roleplay.

BH's and Imps should have to work to catch my a$$. :)
Page: 1 of 1