Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Should you change your FORUM name ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Cosmos Jack
05-02-2003, 1:10 PM
Not sure this could be pointless or be a serious topic.

I have been doing some thinking and know I don't have the points right yet, but I might change my name when I do. Especialy with all the stigma people might still have for me. What are the basic opinons on changing your Screen Name. Is a it a good or bad idea?
 SkinWalker
05-02-2003, 1:22 PM
I say keep it unless you just don't like the name.

I've seen a couple of users change their screen names in the past after some heat..... for any forum members that payed attention, this doesn't change the image that they have. Flanders is a good example..... he pissed off a lot of people, got into some flaming... I think he even got banned at least once.

He changed his screen name and behaves a bit differently, but I still know that it is "Flanders." In fact, I actually think a bit less of him for trying to make a "quick change."

I think it would be more impressive if one overcomes a stigma or reputation through his/her own effort rather than the "quick change." Besides, by time you get enough credits, unless you get some donated, everyone will most likely have a different opinion about you. :)
 Luc Solar
05-02-2003, 5:10 PM
There's a Finnish forum I frequent (basically trying to give people the right [mostly legal] information instead of the BS most people post) that had no possibility of registering your name.
Now they have that possibility since everyone who was brave enough to post twice with the same nick got a dozen copycats posting retarded stuff in their name.

The funny thing is that you have to pay for every 3 month period you want to use you special protected nick. Yes, seriously. :(

Nicks are important. I don't/won't change my forum name even though I think it's cheesy. I'm Luc (as in JediMastarSkywalkerz PH34R!!) and that's it. :)

I don't blame Homosexual Ewok for changing his, though... :D

I've found that I tend to react differently to people's posts if I "know" them. People like Griff or Shock (and you dozen other guys who feel a slight itch behind you ear right now) could probably go to great lenghts before they'll get a single flame from me.

This is a community, and people are known as their forum names. Switching you "identity" would be weird. So...nope, I don't like it.
 Cosmos Jack
05-02-2003, 5:52 PM
Well I was going to put as@hole formily known as Cosmos Jack at the bottom. I just have a name I use for everything else. This was a spur of the momnet thing. Someone I don't know who uses this on AOL IM now so I don't feel it's mine anymore. Bastereds stole my idea.

I have Claimed every other IM and thing with my other SN though :D
 Breton
05-02-2003, 6:02 PM
Been there, done that...

I think it is ok to change your screen name, as long as you don't like your previous name and as long as you won't change any often. There are serveral reasons for why I changed the screen name. The first one is the main reason:

-JM Qui-Gon Jinn was kind of an attempt to get my name as similar to Qui-Gon Jinn as possible. So it's simply nothing special about it, if you understand me. It gives no individuality.

-The name was too long.

-Breton sounds cooler.

-Bretons rule:
Passionate and eccentric, poetic and flamboyant, intelligent and willful, the Bretons feel an inborn, instinctive bond with the mercurial forces of magic and the supernatural. Many great sorcerers have come out of their home province of High Rock, and in addition to their quick and perceptive grasp of spellcraft, enchantment, and alchemy, even the humblest of Bretons can boast a high resistance to destructive and dominating magical energies.

BTW, I just made an avatar to match my name too.
 Cosmos Jack
05-02-2003, 7:11 PM
You play Morrowind way to much there guy:p

If you add the glow does is stay if you change your name ?:rolleyes:

Anyone want to give me a few hundred credits that they're not useing :D
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-02-2003, 8:34 PM
I highly discourage changing nicknames.

Why? Because everyone are individuals and personalities will arise if you post for a long enough time, regardless of how anonomous the WWW is. Let's say I'm depressed, and I want to PM the person who posted about depression some time ago because I know she'll understand. Well, if her nick's changed, I can't.

Reasons like that.

Cosmos Jack: If you improve, and we improve our attitude to you, the "bad days" will be forgotten, trust me.
 Breton
05-02-2003, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Why? Because everyone are individuals and personalities will arise if you post for a long enough time, regardless of how anonomous the WWW is. Let's say I'm depressed, and I want to PM the person who posted about depression some time ago because I know she'll understand. Well, if her nick's changed, I can't.

Reasons like that.

True, true.

But still, there is a major difference between getting known as "dA_133TT_gUM:z:z:z" and getting known as "King of Evil" for example, if this is for a forum you post a lot on, and are planning to get more influent. I think it is alright to have a good nickname before you grow into the forum too much. And it's not like you change nick any often, right? Perhaps once, maximum twice, and not once a week.

You play Morrowind way to much there guy

:D

But after all, the game is pretty addictive, right? ;)
 SkinWalker
05-02-2003, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by Breton
Been there, done that...
-JM Qui-Gon Jinn was kind of an attempt to get my name as similar to Qui-Gon Jinn as possible.
-Breton sounds cooler.

LOL! I was wondering where "Breton" came from all of the sudden and with so many posts right out of the blue... and why his writing style was so familiar! :D :D :D

That's another reason both for and against changing, I suppose. People will not realize it's you. That can be good or bad..........
 SkinWalker
05-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
I don't blame Homosexual Ewok for changing his, though... :D

Ha! I thought he just disappeared! (pssst... who is he now?)
 Cosmos Jack
05-02-2003, 10:20 PM
But after all, the game is pretty addictive, right? ;) Yes it consumed my life for way to long though. I played it so much my friend gave up on getting it back and gave it to me, however; I don't play it anymore. I did download a cool Mandalorian armor mod for it though.

Oh well I will see how I feel when I get the points... Nobody said if you loose the glow when you change your SN?
 Wacky_Baccy
05-02-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty much agreed with Skin and Eagle on this... I doubt I'll ever change my forum name, partly because I've grown quite attached to it, and partly because it'd confuse everyone :p :DPosted by Cosmos Jack
Oh well I will see how I feel when I get the points... Nobody said if you loose the glow when you change your SN? I don't think (or see why) you'd lose a glow if you changed your name seeing as the name is just a field in the database (your account is referenced via a number, so settings for that account shouldn't alter if you simply changed the displayed name...), but I'd suggest asking in the Feedback Forum (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=217) for a more definitive and concrete answer... :)
 Cosmos Jack
05-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Well Gee:o That makes sence.........
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-02-2003, 11:27 PM
LOL, the feeling I had when I read Breton's posts..
"This guy reminds me of QuiGon!":D :D
 teutonicknight
05-03-2003, 5:23 AM

Why? Because everyone are individuals and personalities will arise if you post for a long enough time, regardless of how anonomous the WWW is.

Agreed. Now that I've been on this forum for what seems like a really long time, I've made little mental connections with the persons name and the actual person. If that person just suddenly changes it's name out of the blue, it's like i'm started a whole new relationship with that person and I don't really feel like i know that person.
 SkinWalker
05-03-2003, 5:54 AM
I must say, it Screen Name change did work out good for -=Kal El=-. Does anyone remember that period where he used to flame everyone for kicks.... people flamed him back..... it got pretty ugly as I remember.

I think he's BlackDove now. Something like that.
 Breton
05-03-2003, 6:32 AM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
LOL! I was wondering where "Breton" came from all of the sudden and with so many posts right out of the blue... and why his writing style was so familiar! :D :D :D

That's another reason both for and against changing, I suppose. People will not realize it's you. That can be good or bad..........

LOL, the feeling I had when I read Breton's posts..
"This guy reminds me of QuiGon!":D :D

:D

But I had "Previously known as JM Qui-Gon Jinn" in my sig some time after the name change. So it's a bit strange so few people noticed it. :)
 C'jais
05-03-2003, 1:03 PM
I must say, it Screen Name change did work out good for -=Kal El=-. Does anyone remember that period where he used to flame everyone for kicks.... people flamed him back..... it got pretty ugly as I remember.

I think he's BlackDove now. Something like that.

He still does that. Nothing new. A changed name doesn't help him if he can't shake the attitude.

Change your name if you want to Jack (may I suggest "Jack" for a new user name?), but I'd suggest overcoming the "stigma" yourself, as Skin said.

As for Breton, I highly discourage using clan tags in names, or having overly long names. I was this close to referring to you as "JM" and nothing else (might have actually done that on occasion), and I'm sure nobody wants to be mistaken for their entire clan. Another good example is RpTheHotrod - people call him Rp all the time, even though it's got nothing to do with his actual name. It's just silly. And if you do use long names, be prepared for people to shorten it down when it becomes to much of a bother to type.

As for me, you can just call me C or Jais if my name's bothering you ;)
 Breton
05-03-2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by C'jais

As for Breton, I highly discourage using clan tags in names, or having overly long names. I was this close to referring to you as "JM" and nothing else (might have actually done that on occasion), and I'm sure nobody wants to be mistaken for their entire clan.

:mad:

It's only the second time I say this, but still:

The JM in JM Qui-Gon Jinn was NOT a clan tag. I have never been in that clan, and I have only barely heard of it. The JM was for "Jedi Master", wich I took there because "Qui-Gon Jinn" was already taken, and Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn would have been too long.

It is good to have that cleared up. :)
 C'jais
05-03-2003, 2:55 PM
:mad:

It's only the second time I say this, but still:

The JM in JM Qui-Gon Jinn was NOT a clan tag. I have never been in that clan, and I have only barely heard of it. The JM was for "Jedi Master", wich I took there because "Qui-Gon Jinn" was already taken, and Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn would have been too long.

*shrugs*

Sorry, I was certain you told us sometime it was a clantag.

Still, it begs the question why you wanted to have the exact same name as him, ne?

And of all the races in Morrowind, you could have picked a better one... ;)
 Cosmos Jack
05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Well this Screen name is just a variation of Samurai Jack :rolleyes: I didn't want to be too unoriginal and use Samurai Jack so I looked at my Carl Sagan book and said aaaa I will use Cosmos Jack.... The other SN has been my SN for many years now though.
 Luc Solar
05-05-2003, 5:39 AM
Ha! I thought he just disappeared! (pssst... who is he now?)

He became "Unnamed Jed1", but after a while he popped up as "shock ~ unnamed".

But don't tell anyone! It's a secret. He'll ptgk me dead if he finds out I have blown his cover...again. :D
Page: 1 of 1