Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Are we FORCED to use the saber staff?

Page: 1 of 3
 Toa Tahu
05-01-2003, 5:31 AM
If we are,then really,no good.
What do you all think?I think we should be made able to finish the game whatever we do,as long as we do it effectively.
 HertogJan
05-01-2003, 6:09 AM
For as far as I know, you're not forced to use it. In the articles, they only said that it would become available to you, later on in the game.
 Toa Tahu
05-01-2003, 7:07 AM
But the way they said it,it sounded like,"You will be given the opportunity to use the saber staff..."

It really sounded like you're forced to use it when it comes.Or at least,when it comes,you'll be forced to use it like how guns are useless against Jedi(try using a conc to any of the Jedi's in JK and see!)
 GonkH8er
05-01-2003, 7:12 AM
You don't have to use it.... and I don't think you have to use the 2nd saber when you get it either... you can stick with 1 if you prefer, as far as i know
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 9:01 AM
i'm 110% sure u get to choose between dual, or saber staff.
 t3rr0r
05-01-2003, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by Toa Tahu
But the way they said it,it sounded like,"You will be given the opportunity to use the saber staff..."
opportunities aren't mandatory. :rolleyes:
 SettingShadow
05-01-2003, 9:56 AM
Well, I'm 99 + 1 % sure that when you've gotten to a certain point of the game (like, you have full saber defense or something) you get the chance to construct a lightstaff, two sabers, or just stick with your simple, yet effective, single blade :)
 Taos
05-01-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't think they'll make us use one.....I just think it's nice to have choices for once! :D
 txa1265
05-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Personally, I am interested in trying out the dual handed sabers and 'light staff', but would prefer to stay single saber. It really depends on what advantages / disadvantages there are to each. I don't see it much different from the stances, where there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and so long as there is balance in what each saber gives you, it should be more interesting to play. For instance, if they made it so the lightstaff had 'blue stance' blocking abilities front and back, and powerful swings front and back, and kicking ... it would be nearly impossible to balance. But perhaps with a single saber you could perform force powers which still blocking with the saber, or something. They just need to find a way to balance the offence, defense, acrobatics and force power abilities of the three potential types.

I would actually like to see you limited to what you carry in terms of sabers as well as guns. For instance, carrying the lightstaff means no 'regular saber', or two sabers cuts out a gun, or something like that.

Mike
 Toa Tahu
05-01-2003, 11:21 AM
No offense,terror,but I remember saying,"...are given the opportunity...",and that suggests that it is indeed 'a treasured' option,and since it's treasured,we MIGHT have to be forced into using it.

No offense,just suggesting.Anyway,what would we do if we were(please,no) forced to do so?
 taekwondo joe
05-01-2003, 11:22 AM
you have a singel blade for awile, then it comes to a point in the game, were you get to have two sabers, or a saber staff, or keep the saber you have. that is all
 Pedro The Hutt
05-01-2003, 11:34 AM
If we were forced? Well I'd ask another apprentice at the academy to slice the thing in half, give the other half to Luke so that the next fresh student to the academy has a freshly sliced saber to start with and I can go back to using a single saber of sorts XD and if no helpfull apprentices are available I'd break it on my knee or against a corner of the very solid temple walls or something. ^_^
 Prime
05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
As long as I can stick with my single blade, I'll be happy. And I suspect that this will be the case.

The only fear that I have is that the single blade will be less powerful than the other styles.
 txa1265
05-01-2003, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Prime
As long as I can stick with my single blade, I'll be happy. And I suspect that this will be the case.

The only fear that I have is that the single blade will be less powerful than the other styles.

From what I've read, they (Raven & LEC) are very sensitive to the balance issues people were concerned about from JKII. I suspect that while they may feel that most will want to 'have a go' with two sabers or the saber staff, they will realize that others will want to do the whole game with a single saber. Just as 'real' jedi use a variety of saber blades, styles and force powers.

Should be interesting to see - I think we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Mike
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 2:10 PM
Prime, nor Obi and Qui could not defeat maul alone, because he had a staff saber.. i think they will make the staff saber more powerfull than the normal one.... it makes sense dont u think?
 Pedro The Hutt
05-01-2003, 2:23 PM
actually both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon did do fine against him on their own, untill Maul decided to play dirty =p whopping someone in the face with your hilt and then stabbing them during that moment where they're stunned isn't exactly honorable combat, nor is pushing someone down a deep pit and then kicking his saber over the edge. But pointing being they both did very well holding off two blades with just one of their own.
 txa1265
05-01-2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
actually both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon did do fine against him on their own, untill Maul decided to play dirty =p whopping someone in the face with your hilt and then stabbing them during that moment where they're stunned isn't exactly honorable combat, nor is pushing someone down a deep pit and then kicking his saber over the edge. But pointing being they both did very well holding off two blades with just one of their own.

Personally, I found that in that battle sequence the difference was that the Jedi were trained to fight 'honorably' and Maul was trained to win. Qui-Gon was matching him, albeit defensively, until he tired. Obi-Wan had the advantage, but failed to forsee Maul's Force Push level 3 out of the saber lock ;) Seriously, Star Wars Insider did a thing about the '7 forms', and described Maul as a type 7, combining strength and speed.

So it is the Jedi, not the saber ...

Mike
 taekwondo joe
05-01-2003, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
Personally, I found that in that battle sequence the difference was that the Jedi were trained to fight 'honorably' and Maul was trained to win. Qui-Gon was matching him, albeit defensively, until he tired. Obi-Wan had the advantage, but failed to forsee Maul's Force Push level 3 out of the saber lock ;) Seriously, Star Wars Insider did a thing about the '7 forms', and described Maul as a type 7, combining strength and speed.

Mike i agree completely
 Luc Solar
05-01-2003, 5:44 PM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
Prime, nor Obi and Qui could not defeat maul alone, because he had a staff saber.. i think they will make the staff saber more powerfull than the normal one.... it makes sense dont u think?

I really hate arguments based on the movies. This is a game and if a game has 7 different totally unbalanced saber styles along with 16 equally unbalanced sabers, all we got is ONE style and ONE kind of saber. The rest is obsolete.

A crappy, unbalanced game is a crappy, unbalanced game even though Lord Vaderz really did block a blaster shot with his hand in Teh Movie(!!1).

Balance is something that makes or breaks a game. I couldn't care less whether or not Obi or Yoda or Master Skywalker could beat Maul.

(Besides, Obi *did* beat Maul.)
 Prime
05-01-2003, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by txa1265

Mike I also agree. Qui-Gon and Obi-wan lived in a time where the Galaxy was at relative peace, and spent much of their time doing non-combat related activies, such as diplomacy. Darth Maul, on the other hand, spent his entire life being trained to be a fighting machine.

So I think that Maul's talents in combat, not the fact he used a double-bladed lightsaber, were responsible for his effectiveness.

Regardless, a padawan learner with a single lightsaber gave him all he could handle :)
 Master_Payne
05-01-2003, 6:13 PM
Maybe Maul handle two jedi with his light staff, but Dooku beat a two saber wielding Jedi, so it's 100% about the one using the saber and no the saber itself.
I really hopes you can stuck with a single and effective saber.
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 7:47 PM
What about 2 staff sabers :cool:
 Rad Blackrose
05-01-2003, 8:30 PM
What about 2 staff sabers :cool:

Leave it for Omni/JediMOD to handle.

Seriously, that stuff is just flat out wrong. Either or, not both.

Can't have your pie and eat it, now can you?
 PrimoSidone
05-01-2003, 8:45 PM
it was a joke........ NOT LITTERLY......
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 8:50 PM
where in the world did you get that info in the first place.
 SeanTB123
05-01-2003, 9:09 PM
Assuming the change to twin sabers/saber staff is optional, I'm hoping you'll be able to switch back to the single blade if the twin sabers/saber staff doesn't suit you. Maybe something you can toggle inbetween the levels. That seems like it would be practical.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 9:14 PM
u probably get to do that since you have an arensal, it will have your old light saber.
 Emon
05-01-2003, 9:44 PM
It wouldn't be an opportunity if you were forced to use it. I don't care what other words are in the sentence that have a very small and vague suggestion of forcing the player into using it, it's an opportunity.
 Prime
05-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Emon
It wouldn't be an opportunity if you were forced to use it. I don't care what other words are in the sentence that have a very small and vague suggestion of forcing the player into using it, it's an opportunity. It sure sounds like you have the option of using either.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 10:39 PM
of course there will be an opprouinty
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 6:13 AM
From my understanding, you will have the Force at the beginning as well as a single blade lightsaber, and only as you grow stronger will you be able to choose between the different sabers, whether its single blade, light staff, or dual sabers.
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 7:37 AM
It would be cool if u first had a blaster and needed to go to come kind of cave to get ur crystals...... and then make ur saber...:D
 txa1265
05-02-2003, 8:10 AM
It would be cool if u first had a blaster and needed to go to come kind of cave to get ur crystals...... and then make ur saber...:D

If that was even considered ... I'm sure it went the same path as it did from the RotJ book to the movie ... ;)

Mike
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 10:51 AM

Maybe they'll include a training level, similar to JO's, where you have to use your Force powers to collect different parts of your lightsaber to be able to construct it at the very beginning. It would be a good tutorial for those new to the game...although it would probably be redundant for long-time players.

I hope any 'training' level is optional this time around...
 reaper1576
05-02-2003, 11:07 AM
not sure but maybe the game will let you gain the staff saber and the duel Sabers to add to your weapons as you skills incresse so you can change in combat would be intresting if theres differnt styles for each saber types

IE:

Single Saber
Fast
Med
Heavy

Staff Saber
Fast
Med
Heavy

Duel Sabers
Fast
Med
Heavy

I hope they take there time with the styles so there not all the same stances for each saber Stuff Saber shoul;d be more like a quaterstaff style of fighting
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 11:34 AM
If u have TOO much choice it will become boooring....

Confusing...
 Prime
05-02-2003, 12:15 PM
It would be cool if u first had a blaster and needed to go to come kind of cave to get ur crystals...... and then make ur saber...:D According to Raven, they have learned their lesson about not giving players the lightsaber right from the start.

I think you can be sure you will have a lightsaber right from the get-go. Besides, in the movies, padawans are given a lightsaber from their masters right away.
 Toa Tahu
05-02-2003, 1:20 PM
The more choice,the more variety,more interesting it becomes.

Anyway,it's the Jedi that counts,not the saber.
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 1:23 PM
In several interviews, including the gamespy one that StormHammer brought to my attention, it is mentioned that the character will in fact have the lightsaber from the get-go. Cuz I mean, they are already Jedi Padawans.
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 3:37 PM
Prime i thougt that building a lightsaber made u a jedi or something
 X_Fighter
05-02-2003, 4:35 PM

yeah that was part of their training (something in a book about this they go off to a planet which has the crystals for the saber and the master leaves them alone to build the lightsaber using the force or something like that)
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 6:30 PM
yeah that what i am talking about :D
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 7:03 PM
But our characters will already be Jedi padawans under Master Skywalker and Kyle Katarn. So they already completed that phase of being a Jedi padawan.

VADER (indicating lightsaber)
I see you have constructed a new lightsaber.

VADER
Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen.:D
 JaledDur
05-02-2003, 8:10 PM

Makes you a Jedi Knight. It's the last trial of a Padawan to build his/her own lightsaber. When they start off, they are given one by their master.
 PrimoSidone
05-02-2003, 8:32 PM
The one those little padawans use in AotC??
 Pedro The Hutt
05-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Actually... if making a lightsaber makes you a Jedi knight than both Anakin in episode II and Obi-Wan and episode I were already knights. Altough making a lightsaber is a big step in the training, in the old jedi order at least, you didn't get the rank of Jedi Knight untill you either did something awesome like defeating a Sith lord, or face the often mentioned but never seen trials.
 Prime
05-03-2003, 3:36 AM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Actually... if making a lightsaber makes you a Jedi knight than both Anakin in episode II and Obi-Wan and episode I were already knights. Altough making a lightsaber is a big step in the training, in the old jedi order at least, you didn't get the rank of Jedi Knight untill you either did something awesome like defeating a Sith lord, or face the often mentioned but never seen trials. Having constructed your own lightsaber does not make you a Jedi Knight, but you can not become a Jedi Knight if you haven't. It is one of several tasks you must complete before reaching the rank of Jedi Knight.
 Andy867
05-03-2003, 5:23 AM
Yea, a great example is Luke, He contructed a lightsaber, but he still had to confront vader in a battle to become a Jedi (Knight). So constructing a saber is only partially the training
 HertogJan
05-03-2003, 6:35 AM
Yeah and that makes it strange EPI Obiwan and EPII Anakin already had their own lightsaber :confused:

But making one in JA isn't going to work out, since you get to choose the hilt in the beginning... They could also make it so that you get a padawan saber in the beginning and that you can choose blade color and hilt only after a few missions. That would be the closet you can get to 'making your own lightsaber'.

But then again, why would they do that? It doesn't add much...
 Pedro The Hutt
05-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Either that or it'll be a mix & match style of system, constructing your saber out of several parts untill you're content with it.
Page: 1 of 3