Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First force pic!!! yea

Page: 1 of 2
 Blademaster_109
04-29-2003, 10:09 PM
here it is:

http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/7/others/academy_019.jpg)

look at it i think that it is push or pull either or. There are also 4 more new pics there

http://www.jk2files.com/file.stuff?body=academy#screenshots)

Enjoy
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Hmmm...seen those screens before. But as you mention it...with the first one and the Force power, I've been trying to figure out which Force power it is that's being used. I don't recall a blue glowing ball effect in JO anywhere... It could be a new Force power, or an enhanced older one...
 boinga1
04-29-2003, 11:18 PM
actually, i think it's just a low-res screen ripped from the magazine, but it could be blue. :confused:
 Iblis Reborn
04-30-2003, 12:50 AM
its the first time i see those new ones...double saber looks pretty kewl :)

its a little odd to be blocking like she is, with the sabers crossed wouldnt it be harder to react?

and as for that force power ya got me. theres a half circle over the saber that i have no idea what it is
 eastcoast2895
04-30-2003, 12:53 AM
the position of the player seems a little like force push, but the blue circle and distortion looks like it may be entirely new
 Silent_Thunder
04-30-2003, 2:54 AM
It looks like a blue destruction bolt to me :). The little blue circle looks like an explosion, and the distorted semi circles on either side of the edges look like heat waves... And JKII seemed to have taken a much blue-er approach this game... with the saber and force power colors and all, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made destruction turn blue :).
 HertogJan
04-30-2003, 5:55 AM
Lightning is blue... Kyle is blue in a way too... (omg I should write lyrics ;))...

It's all one big conspiracy :) It could be a new force power, yes, because it's very strange for a force push animation, right? But the 'heat wave' isn't a heat wave I think. Maybe it's the shield (like when you're hit) ??
 Proto
04-30-2003, 5:58 AM
The little blue circle looks like an explosion, and the distorted semi circles on either side of the edges look like heat waves...

I agree for me it looks like some kind of circular distortion effect, much like this produced by geonosian weapons in AotC (didn't know Q3 engine can do that). But I have no idea what kind of force power is this... may be force push as well. Character animation seems intact :confused:.
 Blademaster_109
04-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by eastcoast2895
the position of the player seems a little like force push, but the blue circle and distortion looks like it may be entirely new

i agree it does cause his arm is extended. The blue cicrle i think is a new effect like on obi wan.
 CanadianSurfer
04-30-2003, 11:14 PM
*sigh*
 FunkMaestro
05-01-2003, 6:02 AM
Yeeeeh, push!! (Lame) We want to see some COOL force powers!!! (It looks cooler then JK2 though!) :)
 Toa Tahu
05-01-2003, 7:13 AM
Wow!Impressive!
Anyway,it wouldn't be push,push would DEFINITELY work in a bigger area than that small sphere...

Couldn't be destruction either...it's blue,whilst destruction is a red,dark force power.
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 8:57 AM
Originally posted by FunkMaestro
Yeeeeh, push!! (Lame) We want to see some COOL force powers!!! (It looks cooler then JK2 though!) :)

i agree. i want to see new powers, grip, or lighting.
 SettingShadow
05-01-2003, 9:59 AM
Grip and lightning is new?? :|

Lightning is 20 (I think) years old... whilst grip is... 26 years? :p
 FunkMaestro
05-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Squater

Yeeeah, when you look at the films they are! But they are still cooler then push!!
 StormHammer
05-01-2003, 4:09 PM
I'm now wondering if this is how we'll see Absorb in SP? Remember the scene in ESB when Vader holds his hand out to deflect the blaster bolts? Or Yoda absorbing lightning in Episode II? It could be that kind of effect. The Rodian is definitely looking off to the side...like there is someone/something on the other side of the chasm...
 SettingShadow
05-01-2003, 5:09 PM
Yeah I agree with you, Stormhammer, it kinda looks like a good absorb effect. I aslo notice the big (almost) invicible ball.. didn't see it before, it kinda look like it's floating.. actually, it resembles a great lot to Yodas absorb in EpII.
 Master_Payne
05-01-2003, 6:30 PM
If that's absorb, then is great that means that you can only absorb while standing still and not while DFAing(?), seems me re balenced grip doesnt allows you to slash while using it, but you can run everywhere absorbing on JO (I'm lightsider but I think absorb is a little exagerated in JO. makes you almost invincible(?))
 Blademaster_109
05-01-2003, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by Squater

i ment i would like to see new force powers plus the pics of my old favorites(grip, lighting)
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 6:20 AM
It looks from my point of view as being a touched up version of Force Push, and the blue ball effect around the hand is just the result of the disturbance in the air, since some Force powers have a blue glow, like lightning. Because I know in the interview for Gamestar it was mentioned that Raven went over some of the old force powers and kind of touched them up a little, as well as new Force powers, and also the ability to combine Force Powers to unleash a deadly Force Combo, like gripping someone and then throwing your lightsaber, which would kill the target instantly. That kind of thing.
 Deadeye
05-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Personally I would like to see Raven leave out any un-necessary effects from the force powers. I am refering to powers like push, pull and grip. There are no effects for these powers in the movies and I think it should remain that way. I didn't really like the little smoke clouds in JO either. It's supposed to be telekinesis, not a magic spell. As far as lightning, absorb, destruction go, beef'em up, make'em look great. As far as the picture goes, that would be cool if they added some sort of Yoda EpII - like absorb. I hope that it does not become the new form of laser bolt blocking towards the end of the game. I really hope that they beef up the saber blocking animations. -At least regarding blaster blocking. I hated that you just stood there in JO and you held your saber in one of two positions while you blocked. I know that some times Kyle would move his saber around a bit, but it didn't look very good, I thought. I hope they add some cool blocking animations like when Mace does that back swing in EPII or when Obi Wan does this sort of base ball swing to block back a bolt. Make it look like the character is concentrating on a specific action, not just going into "block mode"
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Deadeye
Personally I would like to see Raven leave out any un-necessary effects from the force powers. I am refering to powers like push, pull and grip. There are no effects for these powers in the movies and I think it should remain that way.

Hmm...yeah, you're right. Use of the Force doesn't really have many visual effects in the movies. I don't see the need for them for things like Push or Pull...but with some others it might be appropriate to give you a visual cue in game as to what Force power you have enabled (Lightning etc., should obviouly have a visual effect). For the most part, where they do have to use a visual effect, I think they should be muted effects. It's not a console title with magic powers, after all, and too many brightly coloured effects would make it feel less like Star Wars...
 Toa Tahu
05-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Since when did we have any little clouds in JO?o_O

But anyway you're right,about the effects.Those that are unpertubed,should be left alone.Like the saying goes,"If it ain't broke,don't fix it."
 HertogJan
05-03-2003, 4:02 PM
Yeah now that I think of it, I'd rather have push without some blue clouds around your hand :D
 Break_dF
05-03-2003, 5:24 PM
You guys obviously didn't do a lot of multiplayer ff play... the effects (as created in the jk2 engine) were a necessary evil. They are meant more for timing purpose delays, etc. There needs to be some visual effect or sound; however, several people play without a reliance on sound; therefore, a visual key is the only indication of a movement in mp play. This is not very, if at all, necessary in sp but, in multiplayer, it's a must. If you'll notice, push has a longer recovery time than pull and, when kicking, it's actually more effective to use pull in a push-use scenario. Without a visual indication, it would be very easy for a player like myself or any other experienced player to completely dominate an opponent with simple, effective fake move/attack sequences. In jk3 this could be entirely different but, in jko, the visual animation was a must.
 HertogJan
05-04-2003, 7:56 AM
Originally posted by Break_dF
In jk3 this could be entirely different but, in jko, the visual animation was a must.

What's JK3?? :rolleyes: :p :p

But no, I played enough FF and I know I wouldn't miss those indications. I also hate the fact that the grip animation in MP is different than the sp one, the sp animation rocked!! I don't need no red indicator that says "HEY LOOK HERE I'M A GRIP WH0R3!!" :rolleyes:
 Blademaster_109
05-04-2003, 12:33 PM
i'd hate it if they add on all those animations. They should keep it like JO no circle.
 Break_dF
05-04-2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
What's JK3?? :rolleyes: :p :p

But no, I played enough FF and I know I wouldn't miss those indications. I also hate the fact that the grip animation in MP is different than the sp one, the sp animation rocked!! I don't need no red indicator that says "HEY LOOK HERE I'M A GRIP WH0R3!!" :rolleyes:

Umm.. yeah, do you even know what the hell I was talking about? Trust me, within the first week, you would start to bitch about the animations not being there. Oh, and playing FF and knowing FF are 2 different things... thanks.
 HertogJan
05-04-2003, 2:54 PM
Ah so according to you I don't know enough about playing ffa.. :rolleyes: Thank you...

I hate it when ppl start whining about that they are owned because they couldn't see it coming... In what situation would it matter to see the blue clouds anyway??

I agree there should be some sort of hand animation for each force power, and a distinct sound, but not more than we see in the movies!

And the argument about 'lots of ppl not using sound' is crap too. Most games are about skill. When you have enough skill, you're a good player. Using sound to your advantage is one of the things that can make you skilled. If you don't use it, you have a disadvantage, well that's your problem.
 Break_dF
05-04-2003, 3:34 PM
Thank you for turning this into a forum penis contest... Look, a good fps is more than just what you find in the movies. There's more to it than just knowing how and what's coming... trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Why do you think there were animations in the first game?...
 MattJedi
05-04-2003, 4:09 PM
"forum penis contest" LMFAO!!!! where did you get that??

As far as i was reading you guys were just depating the need for force animations shown in colour. I don't think it had anything to do with your penis there Break_dF, i think you might be suffering from a little bit of penis envy! Don't worry bud, it will grow, lol!

As for my opinion, I think it would be a lot cooler and movie like to just have distinct hand animations, like the choke animation is different from the push and pull is different also, thats all thats needed, different hand positions.
 Break_dF
05-04-2003, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
"forum penis contest" LMFAO!!!! where did you get that??

As far as i was reading you guys were just depating the need for force animations shown in colour. I don't think it had anything to do with your penis there Break_dF, i think you might be suffering from a little bit of penis envy! Don't worry bud, it will grow, lol!

thus the joke, moron...
 StormHammer
05-04-2003, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by Break_dF
thus the joke, moron...

Hmm...before this descends into a flame war, let's try to keep this on topic, shall we? And er..that's enough reference to parts of the male anatomy, if you please. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, well-defined hand gestures would probably be enough for me for a lot of the Force powers. I do play the game with the sound turned on, and the sound effects are my cue to the Force power being used, mostly.
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 7:23 PM
ANYWAY!
Judging from the screenshots, my best guess would be that they tried to make push look better and failed horribly.
 Break_dF
05-04-2003, 8:08 PM
Christ... I remember now why I stopped posting here.
 Blademaster_109
05-04-2003, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
ANYWAY!
Judging from the screenshots, my best guess would be that they tried to make push look better and failed horribly.

good point, they don't need that circle at all.
 HertogJan
05-05-2003, 7:20 AM
Well that's why I think it isn't push in that screenshot but a new forcepower or something. C'mon, raven would never screw up THAT much, would they?
 Blademaster_109
05-05-2003, 9:08 AM
it might be a new feature or something
 MattJedi
05-05-2003, 1:01 PM
Hopefully its a new absorb animation, that would be cool.
 Andy867
05-05-2003, 1:38 PM
Well, I do know for a fact that Raven Software did say that they were going back through the Force Powers that will be in Jedi Academy and kind of sprucing them up for JA. So, for all we know, it could be force push, just with a new look, which wouldn't be surprising for a game company to do for a new, stand-alone game.
 HertogJan
05-05-2003, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
Hopefully its a new absorb animation, that would be cool.

Nah, I mean, the guy in the screens isn't absoring anything, so why should he hold his hand forward??
 MattJedi
05-05-2003, 6:24 PM
Well in any case, I know Raven won't make it look like crap and not movie like on purpose, so i am not gonna loose sleep over it, :)
 Blademaster_109
05-05-2003, 9:17 PM
yeah, if we complain they still have enough time to change it
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Heh, I'm actually kinda hoping they'll bring back force destruction. That force power was cool ;). Deadly Sight on the other hand.... :mad:
Hmm.... maybe that picture is a combo of force push and lightning? They did say you can combine powers, didn't they?
 Blademaster_109
05-05-2003, 11:01 PM
i don't remember that force????
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Force Destruction and Deadly Sight are from JK1. ;)
 Sagittarius
05-07-2003, 11:31 AM
<dutch :cool:>
eh hertog jan dit is precies de power die op het plaatje wordt beschreven!!!
</dutch>

this is not offtopic, it does like a great deal on the screen, i think it is force absorb
 Prime
05-07-2003, 12:49 PM
It is so hard to tell when you are only looking at one frame of animation. When you see the whole motion it may look completely different.
 MattJedi
05-07-2003, 1:52 PM
There is a very good chance that it could be absorb, im sure Raven has seen Yoda do that, they watch the movies and decide what to put in the game, and lucasarts also gives them info so there is a big chance that it is absorb, although, in the pic you can't see anything that he might be absorbing, but still I think its absord, im gonna be optomistic about this and say its absorb.
 HertogJan
05-07-2003, 2:47 PM
Sagittarius, I see now :) But hey, Yoda uses this power with his arm in a defensive position. The character in the screenshot is in a more offensive position.

And IF the power in the screen IS absorb, what does he absorb then? I don't see an enemy in the screenshot unleashing his dark force powers upon that Jedi, so why is he defending?

It doesn't make sense :)

Oh and welcome to the forums, Sagittarius, yet another Dutchy, great!! It's time for us flying dutchmen to take over this forum. In time, you will all speak Dutch, mwuahahaha, MWUAHAHAHAAA, MWUAHAHAHAAA!!!

:p :p
Page: 1 of 2