Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

getting textures to show up in milkshape 3d

Page: 1 of 1
 Sergio-pcgs
04-28-2003, 3:15 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering how to get the textures to load on the models in milkshape 3d. I need to export it to a 3ds file with the textures on it. But everytime I import a .glm it is just shaded in gray

any ideas?
 Psyk0Sith
04-28-2003, 5:25 PM
I'm not sure but you should be able to change the "render" type to textures instead of flat shaded or wireframe for the viewport.
 Sergio-pcgs
04-29-2003, 3:35 AM
ehhh no that's not it, I need the textures to go into the 3ds file when I export it too
 Psynex
05-01-2003, 11:11 AM
The reason it's shaded in gray is simple...kind of. Importing a GLM, if I remember correctly, into MS3D causes all the faces to get flipped. You have to select all the faces (ctrl-a) and then on the menu bar go to Face and select Face to Front (that's the max equivalent of Flip Normals). That should correct the smooth and textured options in the 3D viewport. Then it's just a matter of making sure the materials are being referenced from the right directory.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-01-2003, 8:32 PM
I did that, still a no go, I am clueless on this
 Psynex
05-02-2003, 11:34 AM
any screenshots? maybe I'm not thinking of the same problem.

All I did to import with textures was import the model. On the materials tab, select a material in the name box at the top, click on the button with the material name on it to browse for that material. Double click the image file for the skin.

Oh...one thing I just thought of is it could be that the skin images are in TGA. I don't think MS3D can handlel TGAs, only BMPs and JPGs.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-02-2003, 12:41 PM
hrmm by chance do you have MSN or AIM that I could talk to you about this on?

also if they are tga's how can I get them to show up in softimage
 Sergio-pcgs
05-02-2003, 1:46 PM
 Sergio-pcgs
05-02-2003, 2:42 PM
hrmmm QC file?

in any case, if I can get the MD3 to a XSI file or anything that it can import..I am good
 Psynex
05-02-2003, 5:43 PM
OH....now this makes a bit more sense.

First, import the GLM.
While in milkshape point all of the materials to the proper image files so the model is fully textured in Milkshape.
Export to an XSI<---? (I'm not sure which exporters keep texture coordinates that XSI can import). Try them all, just make sure you
have the model textured in MS3D. Also have textures in the same folder as the mesh file.

Import the exported file into Softimage.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-02-2003, 8:21 PM
where do I point all the materials to the proper image files
 Psynex
05-02-2003, 9:17 PM
on the materials tab. I posted that a couple of posts ago.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-03-2003, 1:48 AM
alrighty sooo where am I going? (http://www.pcgamemods.com/images/prob4.jpg)

there are no textures assigned
 Psynex
05-04-2003, 5:03 PM
ok, I'm kind of baffled that there are no materials listed in that box after you import that model. There should be at least one. I don't have the time this second to figure it out for you, but I can check it out later in the evening (me EST). I noticed you're using the latest version of MS3D so I'm wondering if that has its own issues. I haven't downloaded that version. When I import a GLM model I just left the GLM options to default and it imported the mesh along with a list of material names that I needed to redirect to the right directory. I also haven't tired that particular model; that's THE yoda model?
 Sergio-pcgs
05-04-2003, 7:10 PM
yeh I dunno man, I think that is THE yoda model, do you have AIM or MSN we could talk about this on?
 Psynex
05-05-2003, 3:15 PM
*sigh, when will everyone learn ICQ is a superior chat client*
sorry, no MSN or AIM. Only use AIM for emergencies...family related that is.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-05-2003, 3:35 PM
ok, I have ICQ too, what is your UIN
 Psynex
05-05-2003, 3:46 PM
I found the problem. For some reason MS3D is trying to import one of the materials as "". I'm not sure why. I think there is something in the mesh that has a problem...maybe a null material got exported or something. I'm fixing all the texture mapping in MS3D now and will export what you need. Just make sure all the textures are in the same folder as the file I will send you.

Oh, email addy?
 Psynex
05-05-2003, 4:13 PM
Scouttrooper: You're absolutely right about what needed to be done. I was trying to solve the problem as to why no materials were imported with the mesh. There should have at least been material names in the material box once it got imported, but there weren't. I've imported a couple other models without any issues. I think the head_eyes geometry on the model is what was causing the problem, but that's just a guess.

All of the materials needed to be recreated in milkshape and then applied. Which I did, but I don't think Sergio was following along well; not being familiar with Milkshape and all.
 Sergio-pcgs
05-08-2003, 12:10 AM
sergio@pcgamemods.com
 Psynex
05-09-2003, 11:57 AM
It's all yours!
Page: 1 of 1