Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Intimidation to the 10,812th power

Page: 1 of 1
 Emon
04-26-2003, 2:58 AM
 wedge2211
04-26-2003, 3:34 AM
You're sick, Emon. Sick. :eek:

What's it for? Way too big for a prefab, kinda ungainly for a map on its own, is it just for random modelling? It's VERY nice...
 Emon
04-26-2003, 3:49 AM
It's for a cutscene for a singleplayer project of mine.

You'll actually be able to see through the window and into the bridge and watch all the people move around. At the same time, the whole thing is very small and fits in a 1024x2048 box. Kyle is about twice the size of the command tower. Think about that long enough, it'll melt your brain. :)
 Antizac
04-26-2003, 4:34 AM
Hey, it works that way in movies too...
...and it seems to work the same way in games, too.

That kicks ass, Emon.

You should make an 'Imperial Class' Star Destroyer, too.
Just a thought. =)
 Khaza
04-26-2003, 5:53 AM
... and how about a death star ? :D Ooh, that is so nice...
 master_thomas
04-26-2003, 12:59 PM
:eek:. Wow, that is a bit wasteful of your limited brush count to make something about the size of Kyle, but :thumbs1: nice. Shouldn't the bridge be a little bigger relative to the rest of it?

A Death Star wouldn't be too difficult (for someone who is better than me at vertex manipulation).
1.Take two cones
2.Alter the vertices to make domes
3.Flip one on top of the other
4.Drag some vertices very far inward (the super lazer thing)
5.Drag them in a little at the equator (the trench thing).
6.Find an appropriate texture for the lights and other details.

For a cutscene of it firing, you may need a new effect for an explosion trail.

Don't know about the inside, though.
 wedge2211
04-26-2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Emon
You'll actually be able to see through the window and into the bridge and watch all the people move around. At the same time, the whole thing is very small and fits in a 1024x2048 box. Kyle is about twice the size of the command tower. Think about that long enough, it'll melt your brain.

So...either you scaled some models WAY down, or you just have little black collections of brushes that LOOK like people, or the bridge window is actually a camera portal to a full-size mock-up of the bridge...? *brain melts - ACK!*

Originally posted by master_thomas
4.Drag some vertices very far inward (the super lazer thing)
This is where, I can tell you as an experienced guy with patches, you would find it impossible.
 Pnut_Man
04-26-2003, 2:03 PM
That is a godly prefab and a cool skybox to go along with you.

I definitely want to see that thing converted to Jedi Academy :D
 Emon
04-26-2003, 2:10 PM
1. Yes, I'm going to use a portal surface. :)

2. This map only has six brushes. The SSD is an ASE model. I am going to lower the polygon count, but the idea is to have a fantastic looking model for cutscenes, so it will remain high.

3. I will probably have low poly ISD, IC or VSD models for other cinematics.

4. The skybox is the default space skybox, I didn't make it.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'll have some updated shots today.
 Emon
04-26-2003, 2:10 PM
By the way, the size of the command tower is correct; you're probably thinking of the ISD and VSD where it's much larger in relative size.
 Emon
04-26-2003, 2:38 PM
Omnidirectional and size pulsating light flares, like magic appears!

http://www.massassi.net/ec/images/10807.jpg) (http://www.nervecore.org:800/emonsbox/screenshots/huge/ssd06_huge.jpg)
 Wudan
04-26-2003, 2:55 PM
Uh oh - I smell shader - pimpage!

Good work on the ASE model, if you did it, if you didn't, good work on getting it in-game!

Of course, some credit goes to ydnar - he rocks!
 Emon
04-26-2003, 3:41 PM
The original model was by Thomas Ganshorn, and was about 48,000 polys. I lowered it and got it into JO.

Actually, those are fx_runners. :) I have their life set to like 99999 and the fx_runner only runs the effect once. It's only for cutscenes, so you won't ever see the effect die in such a short period of time.

I originally had an EFX with a life of 1000 ms, and the fx_runner refiring it every 1000 ms, but for some reason it didn't match up. Getting it synchronized takes more effort that it's worth for this situation.

If you're interested in light flares, I suggest toying with this technique; it's much more powerful and flexible.
 Wudan
04-26-2003, 6:52 PM
AH- fx_runners! Good job, Emon!
 Business_Eskimo
04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Very Nice.:)
 master_thomas
04-27-2003, 1:19 AM
Why must so many people be so much better than me?
 Emon
04-27-2003, 1:21 AM
 Pnut_Man
04-27-2003, 2:15 AM
All for a cutscene..*shakes head in disgust*

Simply beautiful (and the blue lights really are much more attractive)
 boinga1
04-28-2003, 1:41 AM
SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS!!!

:drop2::drop2::drop2: Holy Moly, that is unbelievable!
 lassev
04-28-2003, 3:10 AM
Very impressive indeed. I wonder if there's some other site, where more is told about this project of yours, Emon. I have been hanging around these forums for little less than a year, yet I know nothing about it, except that your are making an SP campaign. Considering your many times proven skills and knowledge, it will be a map worth waiting, but maybe you could tell something about it.
 Louis
04-28-2003, 3:20 AM
Amazing! You know I really could use a model of the Death Star II for my first map...for the cutscenes, but it's not really needed, although it would be sweet. Hmmmmm...I'll talk to wedge sometime and see what he thinks.
 Emon
04-28-2003, 5:20 AM
I'm actually going to remodel it (I never modeled it in the first place), because I found out that this model was based off the schematic from The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, which exhibits and incorrect schematic of the Executor-class. Aye, a lot of confusion on many things for that vessel.

Not to worry! The new one will be bigger, scarier, look better and run better (this one's a mess). :)
 War Master
05-09-2003, 7:15 AM
How long did it take you to make it and what is SSD and ASE model?
Page: 1 of 1