Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

2 sided saber splitting

Page: 1 of 1
 Iblis Reborn
04-17-2003, 3:35 AM
this might have already been posted but i havent seen it so here goes

do you guys think that you should be allowed to split your 2 sided saber and use it as 2 and then put it back together again whenever you want?

i personally think it would be pretty kewl to be able to do it so you can mix things up in a fight
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 7:55 AM
It does sound cool, but I'm not sure it would be fair in MP to be able to do that. It would mean people with the dualstaff have an advantage over other players because they could play two different ways, while everyone else is stuck with dual or single sabers. It might be nice to see in SP...
 SettingShadow
04-17-2003, 9:26 AM
Actually, I think you will be able to use the staff as a single too.. and then everyone would go for the staff because they can use it as a single blade, two sabers, and as a lightstaff... wich sound VERY unfair to me.
 GonkH8er
04-17-2003, 9:44 AM
I think in MP, everyone will either have 2 sabers or the staff.... and if you have the 2 sabers, youll just clip one to your belt when it's not in use, or turn off half the staff.

either that or youll have 2 sabers and a double bladed one all dangling from your belt... that'd put some weight strain on the ol robes ;)
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 11:30 AM
as much as i would love it, mp would be way unfare, but just think, isnt it already unfare? i mean, some one with a saber staff verses some one with a reg saber, who do you think would win, this will be interresting to see how it would balance out. for sp, i say bring it on!!!!! but whats the point when custimizing a chariactor, to pick the twin sabers??? al you got to do is pick the staff, and you can twin sabers too, or turn half of the staff off and have one saber, why would you pick anything other than a staff?? so i dont think they will put anything like this in there
 Prime
04-17-2003, 3:10 PM
Personally, I think this is all getting out of hand. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm a little nervous about everybody running around in MP with either a lightstaff or two lightsabers. Surely some people still want the old single?
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Personally, I think this is all getting out of hand. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm a little nervous about everybody running around in MP with either a lightstaff or two lightsabers. Surely some people still want the old single? not me
 Prime
04-17-2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
not me I fear that this is the dominant view :)
 Jedi Legend
04-17-2003, 4:10 PM
I plan on using single most of the time. Or I might use dual, but I don't plan on using a lightstaff very often. Darth Maul was such a boring character, no personality. Unfortunately, the lightstaff is too Episode One-ish for me.
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 4:13 PM
I fear that this is the dominant view :)

Well, I think a lot of people are bound to want to try out all the new toys, including the new sabers. I'm going to be trying out everything to see what I like and don't like, including all three types of saber combat. It all just boils down to personal preference at the end of the day, and I think it will add some extra spice to the battles. :)
 SettingShadow
04-17-2003, 4:17 PM
bah, I'm gonna use the Single Blade.. I like the simple single blade.
 Blademaster_109
04-17-2003, 4:17 PM
that'd be cool like the lucas arts guy, i doubt it will happen though.
 Iblis Reborn
04-17-2003, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
that'd be cool like the lucas arts guy, i doubt it will happen though.

yeah the gold guy is what made me think of it :D

if you cant do it normally then it would be kewl if they had a cheat for it
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by Iblis Reborn
yeah the gold guy is what made me think of it :D

if you cant do it normally then it would be kewl if they had a cheat for it there ya go, hope they make it a cheat
 Khier
04-17-2003, 9:48 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Legend
Darth Maul was such a boring character, no personality.

I don't think he's supposed to have a personality...... after all he's what they call a "Sith", no emotions, except anger and hatred and all that stuff.

Anyways, I'd try all the styles, but I think I'll end up using dual sabers or single sabers off and on, although I know that I'll probably be in a server of 20 people, where 16 are going to be using the double bladed saber :p
 Prime
04-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Well, I think a lot of people are bound to want to try out all the new toys, including the new sabers. I'm going to be trying out everything to see what I like and don't like, including all three types of saber combat. It all just boils down to personal preference at the end of the day, and I think it will add some extra spice to the battles. :) For sure. I'll try them all out too. I'm glad they put them in. I just hope that I won't be the only one on MP with a single lightsaber.

That just wouldn't feel like Star Wars...
 Iblis Reborn
04-19-2003, 11:15 PM
For sure. I'll try them all out too. I'm glad they put them in. I just hope that I won't be the only one on MP with a single lightsaber.

from the sound of things you wont be
and the classic saber style will always have a place in my heart :D
 StormHammer
04-20-2003, 10:59 AM
For sure. I'll try them all out too. I'm glad they put them in. I just hope that I won't be the only one on MP with a single lightsaber.

I hear what you're saying, and I too hope we don't end up with a mutltitude of players using just the dualstaff. I'd hate to see us get into a situation where people start setting up 'single-saber-only' servers and the like...
 happydan
04-20-2003, 12:12 PM
ill be using single.
 MattJedi
04-20-2003, 12:21 PM
well if the strategies for useing each are different and the moves are a lot different then its all gonna boil down to who likes what, I can see equal amounts of people using each one, I am gonna stick with single no matter what.
 Prime
04-20-2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
well if the strategies for useing each are different and the moves are a lot different then its all gonna boil down to who likes what, I can see equal amounts of people using each one, I am gonna stick with single no matter what. As long as one style doesn't have advantages over another, I'm perfectly happy with people using what they want. I just don't want to be penalized for using what I want.
 Blademaster_109
04-20-2003, 2:39 PM
yeah it'd be a good cheat. i hated putting in cheats in jo because it'd kick everyone off the severer.
 SettingShadow
04-22-2003, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
yeah it'd be a good cheat. i hated putting in cheats in jo because it'd kick everyone off the severer.

It doesnt kick anyone of the server, its just you who starts a new game.
 pakmannen
04-22-2003, 5:14 PM
Well, there must be a reason why every jedi in all the movies used a singel saber. I mean, if there isn't something bad with them, why wouldn't all the jedi's that went to Geonosis have two sabers? Logically you should be able to block twice as many bolts with two sabers. And even cover your back with one while running forwards. So there must be something that just isn't good with two sabers.
 happydan
04-23-2003, 1:14 PM
i reckon light staff and dual sabres should have reduced blocking capabilities against blaster fire, but better defence/offence against single sabre. that would make team games more interesting... as well as co-op. :D
 Taos
04-23-2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by happydan
i reckon light staff and dual sabres should have reduced blocking capabilities against blaster fire,

Have you seen the new 'gold guy' animations on the LEC E3 page? It looks like the blaster blocking was pretty good.....though I can't imagine it being better the one saber alone. It still looked much better then I thought it would. :)

Gold guy animations (http://www.lucasarts.com/e3/)
 happydan
04-23-2003, 1:26 PM
im thinking purely from a tactical gameplay point of view. for balancing purposes.
 HertogJan
04-23-2003, 1:32 PM
I think the goldguy animation is just for fun... Why would you be able to connect two single sabers?? Takes all the fun away...

I hope you can't have all the sabers available at the same time, so you must choose which one you want, not change to duble sabered when you're in a fight...
 Prime
04-23-2003, 1:37 PM
I agree. I hope you have to choose which style you want to use. I think it would be overkill if you could be a master at all styles.
 Taos
04-23-2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
I think the goldguy animation is just for fun... Why would you be able to connect two single sabers?? Takes all the fun away...

I agree, in my earlier post I was simply suggesting that the blocking looked much better then I thought it would......since we have never seen it before [not in the movies anyway]. I don't think we'll be able to connect the sabers either.

I hope you can't have all the sabers available at the same time, so you must choose which one you want, not change to duble sabered when you're in a fight...

I would think that one would have to choose a style and stick to that.......only be a master at one different combat stlye at a time. :)
 happydan
04-23-2003, 1:51 PM
id have to say that all jedi would be able to use one sabre, and have one of the other 2 as a SKILL.
 taekwondo joe
04-23-2003, 2:56 PM
i quess we wil have to wait and see, hmm, man i hope they release a demo real soon so i can jump for joy, and not have to wait, or at least before the game comes out
 Iblis Reborn
04-24-2003, 1:19 AM
Originally posted by happydan
i reckon light staff and dual sabres should have reduced blocking capabilities against blaster fire, but better defence/offence against single sabre. that would make team games more interesting... as well as co-op. :D

from what ive heard the only way to be effective with a 2sided saber is to put constant pressure on your opponent(s) because you dont have very good defence with it
no idea about blaser shots though
 Prime
04-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
i quess we wil have to wait and see, hmm, man i hope they release a demo real soon so i can jump for joy, and not have to wait, or at least before the game comes out I wouldn't hold my breath. Last time the demo came out after the full game came out.
 MattJedi
04-24-2003, 1:35 PM
Well in reality it would be easier to block blaster fire with a lightstaff cause it covers more area and requires less movement to block, however Raven is probly gonna make all sabers equal when it comes to blaster fire. Man I would have liked to see Maul block some blaster fire with his, that would have been sweet, I wonder what moves he would have made to do so..??
 happydan
04-24-2003, 1:45 PM
i think maybe the option of a single blade to boost defence against blasters could be good, or maybe just use agility and speed.
 flaming_wolf
04-24-2003, 9:22 PM
I dont no about every 1 elese or whever any 1 elese has brought this up, but in the game your "supposed" to be able to combine force attack ie throw and attack if this is right it would mean staff sabers would become well pathetic and so would single sabers as haveing 2 sabers would have a distsinct advantge ie been able to perform to types of move.

any way ill be using 2 sabers or 1 no matter what i hate the maul type sabers i think they suck and r over gloryfied.

:D
 flaming_wolf
04-24-2003, 9:32 PM
1 more thing were all going on about hoping that the light staff won't be to dominating but if u look at the screen shots most of them r of a jedi using a duel bladed saber so i dont think there will be much choice on what saber is dominant or not.

1 thing that maybe be decent though would be for a duel bladed saber to be choped in half and remained that way at least till the end of the mission or u get back to the acadamy. and the same could also hapen to having duel sabers but u could lose 1 meanin that the single saber will allways have to be masterd or respected by players at least
 Iblis Reborn
04-28-2003, 5:25 AM
well one thing might be that they are showing the 2sided one cause its new and they wanna show it off
 MattJedi
04-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Nothing is going to be dominant, they are all going to be balanced out, like everything else.
 Prime
04-28-2003, 1:00 PM
Originally posted by flaming_wolf
1 more thing... For future reference, you can use the Edit button to add to your previous post, instead of adding a new post :)
 StormHammer
04-28-2003, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
Nothing is going to be dominant, they are all going to be balanced out, like everything else.

We can certainly hope that will be the case...but until we actually play the game for a little while, none of us really know about any particular moves or styles belonging to a particular saber might prove dominant in a variety of situations. the more they increase the number of moves and abilities, the harder it is to play-test them all effectively, and get the right balance.

flaming_wolf.... The idea of being able to cut a dualstaff in half, like Obi-Wan did to Darth Maul in Episode I, could be a good disadvantage/weakness of that weapon that may be exploited by a skilled player. It would be good to see that included. :thumbsup:
 flaming_wolf
04-29-2003, 6:27 AM
MattJedi Nothing is going to be dominant, they are all going to be balanced out, like everything else.

I hope that all the sabers arn't balanced out and they each have there own plus and minus points so players would be sacraficing 1 thing for another.

So for example the lightstaff would be a gud melee wepon but not as effective as the single saber at deflecting shots.

StormHammer could be a good disadvantage/weakness of that weapon that may be exploited by a skilled player. It would be good to see that included

I dont think that having the lightstaff choped in half could actually be exploted that much by players unless raven put in a move designed to do this or the player was extreamly skilled.

It would be a gud weakness for the wepon and stop it been as dominant as it was in JO when the cheat was activated or a mod was on allowing u to use it.

Iblis Reborn well one thing might be that they are showing the 2sided one cause its new and they wanna show it off

Actually the lightstaff isnt the newist saber duel sabers is since it only appeared in Ep2 where as the light staff was in Ep1 and can allso be used in JO by cheats and is featurd in a lot of diffrent mods. For example admin, omni and JK2 the fans version
 Iblis Reborn
04-29-2003, 6:39 AM
Actually the lightstaff isnt the newist saber duel sabers is since it only appeared in Ep2 where as the light staff was in Ep1 and can allso be used in JO by cheats and is featurd in a lot of diffrent mods. For example admin, omni and JK2 the fans version

it is the newest saber
its a completely new saber where as the dual sabers are just 2 of the same old one
your right though it is the newest style
they might not have figured out how to make it look really kewl yet though...that could explain why theres only one pic with 2 sabers that ive seen
we will be seeing more of them as we go along though
 flaming_wolf
04-29-2003, 7:25 AM
I hope we do see more screen shots of the duel sabers.

I allso hope they build a lot on the idea of combine force powers id love to be able to throw 1 of my sabers at an enemy push another 1 out of the way and hack his friend limb from limb.:D
 Prime
04-29-2003, 12:42 PM
I hope that all the sabers arn't balanced out and they each have there own plus and minus points so players would be sacraficing 1 thing for another. Uh, this is what would make them balanced.
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 12:57 PM
I allso hope they build a lot on the idea of combine force powers id love to be able to throw 1 of my sabers at an enemy push another 1 out of the way and hack his friend limb from limb.:D

I'd love to be able to do that, too. :thumbsup:

I guess we'll have to wait for some E3 footage to see if it's in there...
 joetech3000
04-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Personally, I think this is all getting out of hand. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm a little nervous about everybody running around in MP with either a lightstaff or two lightsabers. Surely some people still want the old single?
Single is best. And lightstaff splitting was in the JK mod Stories Untold.
Page: 1 of 1