Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I like pie.

Page: 2 of 2
 The Truthful Liar
04-27-2003, 7:45 AM
 Wudan
04-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Great delicious textures. I know everybody loves the map - and I bet you are using q3map2 - have you tried enabling phong shading or messing with the scale of the lightmaps? The light that comes from those neon things could be 100x smoother, IMO.

Just a thought.

/me braces for impact.
 Khaza
04-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Using -filter helps too.. but the blockyness appears mostly because of stupid texture compression that also controls the lightmap compression and makes all lights change color like mad. :mad:

wudan: Could you post settings for that phong shading & lightmaps scale thingy ? /me wants to test it :D
 Wudan
04-27-2003, 1:38 PM
To enable Phong Shading, add "-shadeangle X" to your light compile stage - where X is a decimal value, I usually use 21 because it looks fairly natural. This will 'phong-shade' the entire map, I think that it can be done on a per-shader basis, if I remember.

To enable lightmapscaling, just add key "_lightmapscale" to your worldspawn with a value, I usually use "0.1" or if I am getting crazy-go-nuts (rather, when I just want to see sexay lighting), I use a value of "0.001" which *I THINK* is the lowest you can go. I'm not sure.

Sorry about the thread jack - just wanted to spread some knowledge.

It's always best to fool around with these settings, but it takes almost al much time to get the compile settings right as it does to make the map :P

(ps - don't take my word for it, i can't map nearly as good as truthful liar can, i just read up on q3map2's forums often to keep myself up on what can be done with maps)
 Khaza
04-27-2003, 3:49 PM
THX wudan !
Those settings really make difference (take a look my wip if you want :))
 starunner
04-27-2003, 5:46 PM
This map is looking really slick. The architecture and texture work is impeccable. Are you deliberately trying to give Unreal 2003 a run for it's money? :p

By the way Truthful Liar, I've finally answered your Pm. I'm really sorry it took so long to reply.
 Altus_Thrawn
04-27-2003, 8:06 PM
Awsome...just plain goodness.

The contrast is interesting....you have a curvy hallway ending in a blocky room...with a door to another curvy hallway...
 The Truthful Liar
04-28-2003, 3:18 AM
Originally posted by wudan
The light that comes from those neon things could be 100x smoother, IMO.

I've been using the lowest compile settings for these screenshots. :-)

Originally posted by Khaza
but the blockyness appears mostly because of stupid texture compression that also controls the lightmap compression and makes all lights change color like mad.

The textures used are .tga format, no compression.

Originally posted by starunner
This map is looking really slick. The architecture and texture work is impeccable. Are you deliberately trying to give Unreal 2003 a run for it's money? :p

Am I? :P Not yet. :]

Soon...

Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
Awsome...just plain goodness.

The contrast is interesting....you have a curvy hallway ending in a blocky room...with a door to another curvy hallway...

Trust me, this isn't the end of curvyness to the map - expect much much more. ; )
 Khaza
04-28-2003, 5:57 AM
I didn't mean to diss your work at all (it's awesome) :) ...and actually I was talking about "r_ext_compress_texture" which controls "r_ext_compress_lightmaps" in mp that makes lightmaps look crap with strange colors everywhere.
 The Truthful Liar
04-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Khaza
I was talking about "r_ext_compress_texture" which controls "r_ext_compress_lightmaps" in mp that makes lightmaps look crap with strange colors everywhere.

Are you saying you can get sp-like shading/lighting in mp? :-O
 Khaza
04-28-2003, 11:02 AM
All you need to do is write this command to console & restart game and you get all those smooth shadows in mp:
r_ext_compress_texture 0

In sp that variable doesn't effect lightmaps because lightmaps have their own variable: "r_ext_compress_lighmaps" (which doesn't work in mp). I don't know what raven coders were thinking when they enabled lightmap compression for mp, but I hate how it makes all lightmaps look like puke :mad: ..also I have been wondering why doesn't JK2 menus have any buttons for compression settings ? ..lazy..raven.. ...
 Wudan
04-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Lightmap compression is it's own r_ext.

On the whole, MP's renderer BITES compared to SP's. That's what REALLLLY gets me mad. There really isn't any reason for it.
 fat_101
04-28-2003, 8:53 PM
if thats what pies like i LOVE pie :eek:

FATTEH
 The Truthful Liar
05-02-2003, 2:25 AM
It's a shame that raven didn't apply sp like lighting into mp - it really makes a difference. (I wonder if it could be implemented into ydnar's q3map2 somehow.)

New shots, the last one is abit bright - working on that. You guys have no idea how much stress this is; I've 6 maps planned and 3 in the works right now. :|

http://www.nrgteam.com/images_previews/images_ffa_terminalvelocity/shot046.jpg)

http://www.nrgteam.com/images_previews/images_ffa_terminalvelocity/shot047.jpg)

http://www.nrgteam.com/images_previews/images_ffa_terminalvelocity/shot048.jpg)

http://www.nrgteam.com/images_previews/images_ffa_terminalvelocity/shot049.jpg)
 LITE Jedi
05-02-2003, 3:45 PM
Wow you are my hero, 6 maps is a lot, new hallway looks great btw, this map pack is going to be mofo 14 maps..?..
 Wudan
05-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by The Truthful Liar
It's a shame that raven didn't apply sp like lighting into mp - it really makes a difference. (I wonder if it could be implemented into ydnar's q3map2 somehow.)

Huh? Lighting looks sexier with Q3Map2, in general - explain what you want to do, I'm sure there is a way to do it.

The lightmaps seem kind of compressed - are you sure you have lightmap compression turned off?
 The Truthful Liar
05-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Huh? Lighting looks sexier with Q3Map2, in general - explain what you want to do, I'm sure there is a way to do it.

The lightmaps seem kind of compressed - are you sure you have lightmap compression turned off?

I havn't used it yet, only briefly.

I just tried what Khaza suggested recently and (all) maps look alot better with r_ext_compress_texture 0 - just like sp but in mp, no discolored splotches. It doesn't have to do wether you compile with q3map2 or not. ; )
 Wudan
05-03-2003, 7:00 PM
I am telling you, go use Q3Map2 on that map NOW.

It just plan works better than SOF2Map. I know you have a monster machine, but ... SOF2MAP times are not really a cool benchmark of machine strength - just use Q3Map2!

Please Please! Use it and pimp out the sweeetness of the map to the 10th power!
 The Truthful Liar
05-03-2003, 8:38 PM
I use q3map2 to compile my maps - in fact q3map2toolz v1.15 for easier setup. I was referring to using the lightmap thing briefly ingame to see what it was like.
 Wudan
05-04-2003, 2:32 PM
Oh, ok then :)
 -=ReApEr=-
05-04-2003, 5:38 PM
Looking good Truthfall Liar :D Keep up the good work:)
 master_thomas
05-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Still looking good, Truthful Liar. Your work is inspiring. Oooooohhh looks like it's lit with neon lights. Pretty.:p

Question: What is the actual name of the map? Is it "I Like Pie", is it mentioned somewhere in this thread, is it still undecided, or did you just not tell anyone?
 The Truthful Liar
05-05-2003, 9:12 AM
Terminal Velocity
 master_thomas
05-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Oh yes, I think I've heard you say that. It doesn't seem to fit the design, but the name sounds good and the level looks awesome.
 MuRaSaMuNe
05-08-2003, 9:58 PM
Wow, very unique. :thumbsup:
 Joetheeskimo
05-21-2003, 7:46 PM
Looks awesome! Wish I could map....:( HINT HINT....
 The Truthful Liar
05-22-2003, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
Looks awesome! Wish I could map....:( HINT HINT....

Hint what? :/

New shots coming soon...
 Joetheeskimo
05-22-2003, 6:30 PM
just bein wierd :D
Page: 2 of 2