Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

anyone?

Page: 1 of 1
 Shotokan
04-09-2003, 1:35 AM
does n e one still play this?
 Shotokan
04-09-2003, 1:36 AM
lol or not
 Lynk Former
04-09-2003, 2:13 AM
lol no it's just that the Jk.Net forums are dead and gone x.x
 BeastMaster
04-11-2003, 9:27 AM
:bossk:

*growl*
 [OoS]G@r
04-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Is it or rather was it a good game a while ack?:-D
 [OoS]G@r
04-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Bantha Fodder haha:D
 Pedro The Hutt
04-13-2003, 4:50 PM
I still enjoy the game greatly.
 Rogue777
05-13-2003, 8:48 AM
Are you kidding? These are still great games to play. I usually play them more than my newer games. I just wish I had a new one(hint,hint,LEC).:D
 Pedro The Hutt
05-13-2003, 4:02 PM
lol, yeah, After X-Wing Alliance , X-Wing Republic where you play Azzameen again, or a new pilot who helps the new republic shortly after RotJ, perhaps up to and past the introduction of the E-Wing mwaha.
 BeastMaster
05-15-2003, 11:32 PM
We're past due for an NJO-era game.

I have never shot at a coralskipper. :(

'Course, they'd need to develop a whole new engine to allow for the black hole effects.
 edlib
05-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Well now that LA has restarted thier working relationship with Lawrence Holland and Totally Games for that new Secret Weapons game anything is possible.

After all, LA seems to be reviving many of the old titles that made them famous, they will eventually have to take another look at the X-Wing series.

Ya' never know... they could surprise us.

Hope springs eternal...
 Pedro The Hutt
05-17-2003, 7:01 PM
Well I'm not too fond of the NJO series so I'd be content with a game that picks up where XWA left off. ^^"
 Rogue777
05-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

I loved that game , but I think once again LEC is a day late and a dollar short. Where were they when M$ 's Combat Flight Simulator 1 and 2 came out? They could have beat the tar out of M$ and hogged the WWII Flight sim market. Now that the market is cooling, they've decide to jump in? It just doesn't make sense to me. If they don't hurry up and release another Xwing flightsim game, old cronies like me won't have any use for it in the retirement home!!! Come on LEC, lets have another one that we can sink our teeth into, with open code so that MODS can keep it growing for years. Because I promise if you do that, people will eagerly await any expansion packs you can get to the market.

I WANT MY X-WING GAME!!!!!!!! please?
 benTantilles
08-15-2003, 3:08 AM
We're past due for an NJO-era game.
forget the njo, what we really need is a game based around the exploits of WEDGE ANTILLES, fighter ace of the rebellion! it should trace his origins with regards to the alliance right thru the battles if yavin, hoth, endor & many others... damn, what i'd give for that game.
 BeastMaster
08-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Y'mean like Rogue Squadron? ;)

Seriously though, a Wedge Antilles game series is an XWA TC waiting to happen.

NJO however would be something completely new. There're only so many times you can shoot TIEs out of the sky before it gets repetitive.

That's why there's MP --which wouldn't really be different from XWA MP.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-23-2003, 1:09 AM
Rogue Squadron is not a Flight Sim.

They must make a remake for Tie Fighter! They just have to!
 benTantilles
09-05-2003, 2:00 PM
NJO however would be something completely new.
true, but can u IMAGINE the amount of effort it would take to create a game like that? all the influences of black holes, yammosk telepathy & countless other vong bits of tech, the sheer scale of the grand battles which occur then, the many different ships..... the list is endless.....

yes, blowing up TIEs time & time again is repetitive, but with interesting story elements added, some excitement will be lent to it! after all....i think few disliked the countless dogfights occuring in the xwa storyline, myself included. i used to play one-on-one sims with TIE defender super aces over and over again for hours on end....but perhaps that's just me. :D

and yes, like lukedad said, rogue squad isn't a flight sim per se but a flight arcade....i enjoyed the game for it's interesting story elements but the gameplay wasn't really my cup of tea. go, xwa!

and what does the TC in your XWA TC stand for?
 CCKieran
09-06-2003, 11:33 AM
true, but can u IMAGINE the amount of effort it would take to create a game like that? all the influences of black holes, yammosk telepathy & countless other vong bits of tech, the sheer scale of the grand battles which occur then, the many different ships..... the list is endless.....

Hey, have you seen things like 'Battlefield 1942'? They can do some pretty cool stuff, and I know nothing about programming. That had planes and everything... and the AI to pilot them.

I'd like it if they included some late New Republic v Empire as well as the Yuuzhan Vong.

i used to play one-on-one sims with a TIE defender super aces
Is this in Tie Fighter or X-Wing vs TIE Fighter? or XWA? Is there any way to get the TIE/D in XvTie? Cause I can see it in some of the txt files, but I have no Idea what that means.
 benTantilles
09-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey, have you seen things like 'Battlefield 1942'? They can do some pretty cool stuff, and I know nothing about programming. That had planes and everything... and the AI to pilot them.
that's true..... but still, to include ALL the effects of vong technology's gonna be a bit tough.... to have create blackholes which absorb damage and suck in ships, to introduce the element of yammosk communications.... gonna take a lota effort.

Is this in Tie Fighter or X-Wing vs TIE Fighter? or XWA? Is there any way to get the TIE/D in XvTie? Cause I can see it in some of the txt files, but I have no Idea what that means
i only play X-WA.... don't particularly like the others coz of the lack of proper flight controls (eg. no rudder).

and in case u might've misunderstood, i meant that i was flying AGAINST TIE defender super aces...in an x-wing.....but u still can play in a trip (to borrow mike stackpole's slang for a tie defender) in xwa. they kick ass....
 CCKieran
09-06-2003, 1:07 PM
blackholes which absorb damage and suck in ships
You should be able to do this if you give the lasers mass, and just attract all objects with mass to a point. If you have a look at the **Half-Life 2 E3 vids, they can do some pretty amazing stuff. You can push a desk in front of a door, and the door won't open for the AI unless the AI kicks it with enough force to move the desk.

to introduce the element of yammosk communications
Just run different AI scripts when a Yammosk is present. Again, there's some pretty sophisticated AI out there, eg: **HL2, if you have that door blocked, the AI goes for a window. That is smart.

**(all references to HL2 are just what I'm assuming from the vids I've seen. If anyone can verify this, pls post.)

i only play X-WA.... don't particularly like the others coz of the lack of proper flight controls (eg. no rudder).

<sighs>

I remember flying a TIE/D in Tie fighter when I was little. Now my computer won't run it because the supported drivers are too old.

I love TIE/D's

How much of XWA is story driven? Cause I'm considering finally getting off my lazy bum and buying a copy, but I don't like the idea of being restricted to flying a set series of missions, and only them. <Does it have dogfights and battles like XvT?> And if anyone knows, how many copies do I need to play on a 2 PC LAN?

***edit***
ok, I looked at the lucasarts store..... somoeone remind me to do research before I post next time. Don't worry about the questions in <brackets>

Can I fly a TIE/D? the store gave me the impression that if I created a custom mission I could......
 BeastMaster
09-09-2003, 1:17 PM
Yes, custom missions can be flown by any craft in the game, including add-ons (Naboo N-1) and ships that're normally nonflyable (Assault shuttle).

Oh, and XWA is mostly story-based, but the problem is that the story changes midway through from being about Ace Azzameen, son of the Azameen trading family caught up in the Rebellion, to the story of the Rebels' victory at Endor. IOW, the "family" arc has no closure, and Ace just vanishes into Endor (where Lando suddenly becomes the player character, on the Falcon).

Originally posted by benTantilles
true, but can u IMAGINE the amount of effort it would take to create a game like that? all the influences of black holes, yammosk telepathy & countless other vong bits of tech, the sheer scale of the grand battles which occur then, the many different ships..... the list is endless..... CCKieran already addressed this, but I'll add:

The Yammosk basically acts as a central controller for the Yuuzhan Vong ships. Just have the ships and fighter groups attached to waypoints when the Yammosk is active. Possibly rig a system where there are several waypointed flightpaths that the computer can switch between.

When a Yammosk Jammer is used, it just defaults the game AI to "skirmish" mode, dissolving the waypoints and forcing coralskips and warship-analogues to fight one-on-one.

Or possibly even just toggle between "Super Ace" and "Officer" skill levels in the AI.

and what does the TC in your XWA TC stand for? Total Conversion. A hypothetical Rogue Squadron TC would just take the pre-existing XWA game engine and use custom-designed missions, a few custom opts, and some new backgrounds to tell a different story.

It could start out with Wedge escaping the destruction of his parents' refueling platform aboard Booster's Pulsar Skate, then fast-forward to Wedge's missions running guns for the Alliance as part of Booster's organization (friendship with Mirax), then show his rise through the ranks towards Yavin (friendship with Porkins, and Biggs), being tapped for Luke's "Rogue Squadron," and assuming command when Luke resigns (friendship with Tycho, Janson, and Hobbie). The whole game could end just after Yavin (perhaps with a sequel mapping from Hoth to Endor, to the X-Wing comics and novels).
 ESPFN
10-02-2003, 11:30 PM
i wish i could still play xwa but since i bought my new comp and got a 17" monitor, the text ingame is choppy and half there and i cant read my consol :(
 BeastMaster
10-07-2003, 3:11 PM
Sounds like a resolution issue. Have you tried resetting the console settings?
 ESPFN
10-09-2003, 8:33 AM
Originally posted by BeastMaster
Sounds like a resolution issue. Have you tried resetting the console settings?

ive tried everything including buggering around with my vid card settings (anti aliasing, ect). its weird cuz my moms comp (that i gave her) has the exact same os on it (same disk), but the vid card is different. maybe my nvidia doesnt like xwa?
 Pedro The Hutt
10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Speaking of which, at what resolution are you playing anywho?
 kcallais
10-11-2003, 8:54 PM
Thats a common problem with Nvidia's new run of drivers. No amount of tinkering is going to fix it. Supposedly Nvidia is looking into fixing it and it may be addressed in the next release of drivers (detonator 52.14 i believe). Or you can go buy an ATI Radeon card......
Page: 1 of 1