Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Force Powers?

Page: 1 of 3
 SithLord13
04-08-2003, 9:51 PM
So alll this talk about the new sabers what about the new force powers does anyone know what the new ones are yet? or what kind of powers they think should be added. I say well most of the powers rock I say some just need to be adjusted but more powers more fun anyway :dsaber: and also the siths saber is gonna be the best :mauls:
 Hekx
04-08-2003, 10:40 PM
If Force Powers are combined:

Saber Throw your saber, it knocks into a wall you then Force Pull it back towards your hand.

The Dark Rage of the Darkside grows inside until it's unleashed powering the Force Lightning to emence damage.

:D

I have another idea, but I forgot it. :(

I think most of the Force Powers are staying the same. There will probably be Force Sight in SP aswell as others.

I want to see more Jedi-like ones. Increased reflexes, force-sight, and general low-level mind tricks.
 Rad Blackrose
04-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SithLord13
:dsaber: and also the siths saber is gonna be the best :mauls: [/B]

I can't wait to see the game released only to see all these Darth Maul wannabes with balanced two-bladed lightsabers.

Just because you think the two bladed lightsaber is the shiznit does not mean that someone can take you out.
 Smood
04-08-2003, 10:43 PM
I do know they are foolishly progressing further, and further away from the movies with the addition of all these crazy jedi abilities (COMBINING POWERS, urgh).

And conversely their STAR WARS revenues decline :). I see a correlation do you?
 SithLord13
04-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
I can't wait to see the game released only to see all these Darth Maul wannabes with balanced two-bladed lightsabers.

Just because you think the two bladed lightsaber is the shiznit does not mean that someone can take you out. I sense fear in you :holosid:
 eastcoast2895
04-08-2003, 11:05 PM
all i wanna see is reflect like what yoda did in ep3. that'd be awsome to reflect all types of stuff.
 Rad Blackrose
04-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by SithLord13
I sense fear in you :holosid:

No, but I am death.
 Taos
04-09-2003, 1:24 AM
I know there are going to be over 50 force powers for Kotor....some for dark jedi's only and some for light jedi's only. There are also ones that both can use - but I really don't know what they will do for JA.
 Khier
04-09-2003, 1:39 AM

Just because you think the two bladed lightsaber is the shiznit does not mean that someone can take you out.

Agreed, I'll probably use it from time to time as well, but it's hilarious and ridiculous to see 16 people on a server with double bladed sabers, it'll probably be double bladed sabers in JA like red stance in JO.......... about 90% of the population will use it, that's why I'm going with dual sabers or single bladed sabers
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-09-2003, 11:11 AM
I would like to see, that you could move objects, and cut through door ;)...
 toms
04-09-2003, 1:37 PM
i'd like a decent JK style force throw... maybe where you targeted a box and pressed the button, then targeted an enemy and released it... sending the box flying at them.

Smashing up crates would provide more ammo.

A decent force sight... allowing you to actually see people through walls (this has been in loads of games, so it can't be a hard technique graphically)

The ability to have an out of body experience like in MotS

Especially: a meditation ability (like qui-gon in ep1) where you kneel for a few seconds and it restores all your force powers.
(Saves all the attack, wait to recharge, attack, wait to recharge gameplay). But you can't defend yourself while kneeling, and if you are interupted you loose a load of force power.

If performed when already full it could supercharge you for a few seconds.

Rein-force Team effect for multiplayer where you can "chain" power into one player.
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-09-2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by toms
i'd like a decent JK style force throw... maybe where you targeted a box and pressed the button, then targeted an enemy and released it... sending the box flying at them.

Smashing up crates would provide more ammo.

A decent force sight... allowing you to actually see people through walls (this has been in loads of games, so it can't be a hard technique graphically)

Especially: a meditation ability (like qui-gon in ep1) where you kneel for a few seconds and it restores all your force powers.
(Saves all the attack, wait to recharge, attack, wait to recharge gameplay). But you can't defend yourself while kneeling, and if you are interupted you loose a load of force power.

If performed when already full it could supercharge you for a few seconds.

Rein-force Team effect for multiplayer where you can "chain" power into one player. Yes, some of those would be good...I still think, that mine is good too;)!
 SithLord13
04-09-2003, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by toms

Out of body exprience would be interesting but an x ray force sight is some thought, so say you walk into a bar you see all the weapons people are hiding under there coats, My thought could be a darkside power could also be the ability to shoot lasers out of your eyes is another thought you could use it to cut people in half, cut threw doors, and like cut statues or columns down to block paths like maybe in the rancor chase mission :D but its just a thought the more the force powers the better
 SithLord13
04-09-2003, 5:47 PM
No, but I am death. When JA comes out we will duel and see if you are truly death or just plain old dead :lsduel:
 Master_Payne
04-09-2003, 6:03 PM
If there's going to ba a Rancors "Chase" I don't want things to cut down in the paths or holes to hide, I want to stab my saber right in his spine... nothing of running like a little girl just cause you see a Rancor toward you...

new force... as much as possible, the farsight was cool, the seeings trought walls already works on MP so... who knows
about lightsabers, a single one (hopefully selected trought "gamma" silverish blue), and abussing blue and yellow stances unless they put better ones.
 t3rr0r
04-09-2003, 6:14 PM
i wanna be able to stop blaster bolts with my hand like vader does in esb. :cool:
 Smood
04-09-2003, 7:33 PM
That is not force. That was simply because he has heavy gloves, the blaster cant penetrate it. Heck a little jab from luke with his saber only scratched vader's armor, but it was more glancing so....
 t3rr0r
04-09-2003, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Smood
That is not force. That was simply because he has heavy gloves, the blaster cant penetrate it. Heck a little jab from luke with his saber only scratched vader's armor, but it was more glancing so....
... a normal person wouldn't have the hand-eye coordination required to stop a bolt... hence where the force comes in.
 Master_Payne
04-09-2003, 7:40 PM
same heavy glove that was cut like butter on RotJ? I think was force protect at a high level, the saber only scratches is armor cause the chestplate is resistent and rigid.
saber may cut trought anything but another saber's blade, but some materials are more resistant to it (like qui-gon cutting the door on TPM). but a glove is a glove... or maybe is mech-arm...
 SithLord13
04-09-2003, 8:53 PM
what about a spider sense force to detect something before it happens :D
 coupes.
04-09-2003, 9:12 PM
the force throw objects sound like a neat idea.
but i want to be able to counter lightning, either by force or with my saber, like yoda and obi did in ep2.
 DarkLord_44
04-09-2003, 9:42 PM
That is a real force power. Anakin did it in the NJO books. It is the ability to absorb energy. When there was a fire, Anakin absorb a section of the energy to put it out so he and the vong wouldn't get hurt.
 Elliot334
04-10-2003, 2:26 AM
Bring back old force powers:

Force Blinding
Force Far Sight
Force Deadly Sight
Force Projection (only if implemented waaaay better than in MOTS)
Force Destruction (only if made like in JK1 cut-scenes (see this movie (http://www.reandev.com/destruction.htm) -1.5MB) and not the flying-basketball-of-doom like in the actual JK1 game)

And make it so force push doesn't push blaster bolts and other energy based weapons, doesn't make any sense, force push should only push projectile weapons like rockets and repeater bullets.
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 8:22 AM
New Force powers?

Well, as Elliot334 said, they could just bring back some from JK/MotS that were missing in JO.

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of object lifting ability - we see it quite extensively in ESB, and I think it's long overdue to be put in this series of games. Lifting heavy crates out of the way to reveal a hidden door - or shift them into place to block a door - would be a good thing to have, IMHO. Hell, you could even levitate a NPC under your protection to a higher vantage point and safety. So I'd love to see something like that implemented. A logical extension or power-up for such a Force ability is to be able to throw the objects you can pick up.

I also like the idea of a Jedi Sense...where you get a warning about something about to happen - possibly even a vision that lasts a few seconds, giving you an indication of where you need to go. This is a bit similar to one of the levels on the Spider-man game.

I was never a fan of Deadly Sight or Destruction, and Blinding was more of an annoyance than anything else in JK.
 SithLord13
04-15-2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
New Force powers?

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of object lifting ability

MOST ARGEED if they have choke they should have that ;)
 Blademaster_109
04-15-2003, 7:25 PM
i'd like to see u be able to lift objects then drop them on ur opponets. also in multiplayer i will kill u in a duel with my double headed light saber Rad Blackrose
 JDKnite188
04-15-2003, 8:50 PM
Mysteries of the Sith had the best way of choosing force powers and had a great variety. As a jedi progressed in training, one could choose from categories of force powers. The more in touch with the force, the more categories accessible.

btw Coupes, what is the logo of your avatar?
 SithLord13
04-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
also in multiplayer i will kill u in a duel with my double headed light saber Rad Blackrose :D lol hmm?:confused:
 Doctor Shaft
04-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Force Powers:

the best thing to do is simply expand on what JO already has. Take the push/pull powers and turn them into "manipulate objects" power. Force grip gets taken beyond "choke" to manipulate target. However, for a fast paced fps, that may not be a good idea entirely.

The old-school JK powers that were left out....
GOOD RIDDANCE. There is a reason they were left out.... over the top. And redundancy. Why bother with force blind when I can just be invisible? If I set my video settings, force blind isn't so bad, I can still 'see'. Force persuasion.... not same situation. Plus, good dark siders had an unbeatable counter to that. Force sight on at ALL times, force speed on, hit you with destruct. Plain and simple.

Destruction: it was good for the game they put it in. Jk was fast enough, and clunky enough that force destruction worked. However, the JO series is a little slower, and also more precisison based. Also, I personally thought that while the Dark Force series isn't and shouldn't be precisely "movie" style, Force Destruction reminded me WAY too much of Dragonball Z. Sorry guys, Jedi don't make fireballs, especially ones that don't hurt the user. Good riddance.

Deadly Sight: I dug this power a lot more than destruction. At least it made more 'sense' to me than the JK version of Kamehame-ha. However, once again, this power could often get in the way of saber combat. One thing is for certain, Force powers never truly got in the way of guns, but stuff like deadly sight and destruction certainly curbed saber fights to a degree, unless you were a light jedi with absorb.

All in all, I'd be more interested in the combining force powers. IT would be NICE if they gave us a MotS style of force selection. I don't care what anyone thinks about how the "force system" should work according to movies. Techincally, I should be able to select whatever I want. Then it can be in the combinations of powers that really demonstrate who a light jedi is, who a sith is, and who just someone caught up in the dark side is. that sorta thing.
 Pedantic
04-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Maybe they should have Force Deadly 'Nad Kick. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think that they should concentrate on making a few quality powers rather than the shotgun approach. Pretty soon we'll be wondering which key we bound Force Water Heater to, the bracket or the dash? :)
 leXX
04-16-2003, 6:25 AM
I would like to be able to absorb lightning with my saber like .:CoupeS:. said, and also, I would like to be able to break my fall from a great height with force push.
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-16-2003, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I would like to be able to absorb lightning with my saber like .:CoupeS:. said, and also, I would like to be able to break my fall from a great height with force push.
Also some good ones!
 SithLord13
04-16-2003, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by leXX

I like any more thoughts guys :D
 Pnut_Man
04-16-2003, 6:29 PM
We need an extensive Telekenesis system built into JA. I want to be able to levitate and move certain objects like I am able to with the grip power.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 6:52 PM
i know right now i think we don't need ne more force powers, i'll think totaly differen't when they release a new totaly awsome one.
 Mazellion
04-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Think we will get to use these Force powers?

* Force Whirlwind
* Force Wave
* Force Throw
* Force Destruction
* Force Blind
* Deadly Eye
* Sith Sorcery
 Darklighter
04-17-2003, 5:13 PM
Hmm, I can only assume you're talking about Jedi Academy. In that case, wrong forum;)

*moves*
 Shrimpkebab
04-17-2003, 5:57 PM
all i wanna see is reflect like what yoda did in ep3. that'd be awsome to reflect all types of stuff.

you have seen episode 3? LoL i though it was set for release 2005
 SithLord13
04-17-2003, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by Mazellion
Think we will get to use these Force powers?

* Force Whirlwind
* Force Wave
* Force Throw
* Force Destruction
* Force Blind
* Deadly Eye
* Sith Sorcery

Whirlwind hmmm interesting and Sith Sorcery I like but what would it do :confused:
 Luc Solar
04-18-2003, 3:49 AM
* Force Whirlwind
* Force Wave
* Force Throw
* Force Destruction
* Force Blind
* Deadly Eye
* Sith Sorcery

You almost make it sound like some cheesy mix of kung fu, anime and mortal combat.

"NOW YOU SHALL KNOW THE TRUE POWERZ OF TEH JEDIMASTA! FORCE TORNADO-STRIKE!!! FEAR ME!"

"HA HA HA HA! YOU ARE SO WEAK! Now witness TRUE POWER: FORCE EARTHQUAKE GO!"

:D

A Star Wars game should have pull, push, grip, lightning, speed, jump, saber throw, heal and telekinesis (=ability to move objects). The rest isn't really that necessary.. but I sure as hell don't want to see 12 new force powers like force "making-your-wookie bowcaster-shoot-explosive-bubbles-that-cut-through-shields" or force that neglects the affects of force "heating-up-opponents-weapons-so-that-they-cause-burns".

Btw- am I the only one who thought the blindness in JK was very annoying? Staring at a bright white monitor isn't exactly my idea of fun. :(
 SithLord13
04-18-2003, 8:55 AM
Originally posted by Luc Solar

The rest isn't really that necessary.. but I sure as hell don't want to see 12 new force powers like force "making-your-wookie bowcaster-shoot-explosive-bubbles-that-cut-through-shields" or force that neglects the affects of force "heating-up-opponents-weapons-so-that-they-cause-burns".

Btw- am I the only one who thought the blindness in JK was very annoying? Staring at a bright white monitor isn't exactly my idea of fun. :(

Now that weapon would be a lot of fun :D and yes the blindness was annoying but it was a good thought of a force power
 taekwondo joe
04-18-2003, 10:09 AM
the only thing i have to say is, bring back DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!! thats the best force power ever
 StormHammer
04-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by taekwondo joe
the only thing i have to say is, bring back DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!! thats the best force power ever

Yuck, no leave it out. :barf:

Luc solar...ROFL That's great. :p

I too thought blindness was more of an annoyance - especially considering all you had to do was adjust your monitor brightness so you could still see. A bit silly, really.

No, I still think the key one missing is manipulating/lifting objects.
 Klorel
04-19-2003, 5:07 PM
Telekenisis would serve to simplify a lot of force powers and make the game replay value a lot higher.
Keep for sure:
Dark:
-Grip
-Lightning
Light:
-Mind Trick
-Heal
-Absorb (but used like yoda in EP II)
Neutral:
-Jump
-Sight

and ADD:
-Telekenisis (total freedom to move any object in any direction at a certain speed, as long as your force meter hasn't run out).
Grip is this with damage, Jump is this on yourself, and in JK I you could throw all kinds of stuff at enemies (my fav. force ability), but they got rid of it, this would re-empiment it.
so basically if you have Telekenisis,by default you have jump, grip and probably a few others. That would definitelly cut down on the number of keys required without Nerfing the game diversity.
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 8:56 PM
Originally posted by Klorel

and ADD:
-Telekenisis (total freedom to move any object in any direction at a certain speed, as long as your force meter hasn't run out).
Grip is this with damage, Jump is this on yourself, and in JK I you could throw all kinds of stuff at enemies (my fav. force ability), but they got rid of it, this would re-empiment it.
so basically if you have Telekenisis,by default you have jump, grip and probably a few others. That would definitelly cut down on the number of keys required without Nerfing the game diversity.

Yes being able to do that would make gameplay interesting for fights like take for example this

:lsduel:
(notice how vader throws things)
 Doctor Shaft
04-19-2003, 9:26 PM
Man, Force Blind was just the silliest power ever made... well, maybe the second silliest. Force Destruction was the silliest ever.

Force Blind:
First off, it simply didn't make any sense. I'm a light jedi, and I don't use the Force to attack. So... how am I blinding people anyway? I shoot something into their eyes, and then they can't see. For some reason, this shot of stuff doesn't damage their eyes at all, I don't permanently do anything. The whole concept of the power was strange AND redundant, considering that Force Persuasion did the same job, only it worked on everyone. Plus, the gamma screen trick solved the problem fast. All Force Blind really did was make everyone turn on Force Sight all day to counter it... easily.

Force Destruction:
This power was a travesty. Just a ploy by Lucasarts to appeal to the Doom/Quake/super guns loving crowds. I know that the Dark Force games aren't supposed to be complete replicas of the Star Wars movies or canon, but Force Destruction didn't come CLOSE to resembling Star Wars. You fire a massive ball of explosive energy that conveniently can't hurt you. :p Talk about lame. It was like Dragonball Z meets the Dark Side. It also completely negated the usefulness of Force Lightning. Why have that power when you could just blast everyone to death? The world may never know.

I don't like any fancy frills in my Force powers. The Force, when used, is a simple kind of thing. It doesn't cause wind storms, it doesn't summon Earthquakes, it doesn't cause the sky to burn crimson red, nor does the Force oddly resemble Son Goku's Kamehame-ha. It's those little invisible pushes, those mind tricks, those chokes, absorb (yoda did it), and the lightning that makes the game. The more the Force resembles Dragonball Z or the card game "Magic", the worse it is.
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 9:44 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Shaft
Man, Force Blind was just the silliest power ever made... well, maybe the second silliest. Force Destruction was the silliest ever.

Force Blind:
First off, it simply didn't make any sense. I'm a light jedi, and I don't use the Force to attack. So... how am I blinding people anyway? I shoot something into their eyes, and then they can't see. For some reason, this shot of stuff doesn't damage their eyes at all, I don't permanently do anything. The whole concept of the power was strange AND redundant, considering that Force Persuasion did the same job, only it worked on everyone. Plus, the gamma screen trick solved the problem fast. All Force Blind really did was make everyone turn on Force Sight all day to counter it... easily.

Force Destruction:
This power was a travesty. Just a ploy by Lucasarts to appeal to the Doom/Quake/super guns loving crowds. I know that the Dark Force games aren't supposed to be complete replicas of the Star Wars movies or canon, but Force Destruction didn't come CLOSE to resembling Star Wars. You fire a massive ball of explosive energy that conveniently can't hurt you. :p Talk about lame. It was like Dragonball Z meets the Dark Side. It also completely negated the usefulness of Force Lightning. Why have that power when you could just blast everyone to death? The world may never know.

I don't like any fancy frills in my Force powers. The Force, when used, is a simple kind of thing. It doesn't cause wind storms, it doesn't summon Earthquakes, it doesn't cause the sky to burn crimson red, nor does the Force oddly resemble Son Goku's Kamehame-ha. It's those little invisible pushes, those mind tricks, those chokes, absorb (yoda did it), and the lightning that makes the game. The more the Force resembles Dragonball Z or the card game "Magic", the worse it is.

All i have to say is "True":D
 Rad Blackrose
04-19-2003, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
i'd like to see u be able to lift objects then drop them on ur opponets. also in multiplayer i will kill u in a duel with my double headed light saber Rad Blackrose

Three words:

Bring

It

On

They don't call me the Magic Fencer for nothing.

Now, as far as new force powers go, god forbid that they reintroduce Force Blinding or Destruction. I do like the sound of telekinesis though. And could we have a better saber throw system?
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-20-2003, 12:23 PM
What is “force destruction”? And, telekinesis could be done with the grip! Thus reducing the keys!

And now you think, that grip is a dark force-power, but Luke used it in episode VI! Just for a reminder!
 modru2004
04-24-2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by Smood
I do know they are foolishly progressing further, and further away from the movies with the addition of all these crazy jedi abilities (COMBINING POWERS, urgh).

And conversely their STAR WARS revenues decline :). I see a correlation do you?

combining powers is more realistic. i don't know what u have been smoking but jedi don't have really specific powers like in the game. there is no grip, no push no pull. they manipulate the force and it does that but there is no specific force power. so combining allowing other things to happen would in fact be more releastic.
Page: 1 of 3