Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Imprisonment

Page: 1 of 1
 Jodo Baas
04-06-2003, 5:11 PM
I've been wondering about this feature for a while... namely, does it exist? I've heard of prisons being included in the game, but what about a player actually being imprisoned in, say, an Imperial camp? I had some ideas on it.

Say a character is killed by an opposing faction. What if the character spawned in a holding cell and had to con his way out? I think the possibility of busting out of jail could be really fun if done correclty. Just so long as the player has more to do than just sit around, finding a means of escape could be exciting. Like, if you are captured, you'll only stay in the "holding cell" as long as you stay connected to the server, but if you left and came back, you'd respawn at a cloning facility.

It would even be an alternative for Jedi characters. If you get caught as a Jedi, for all intents and purposes, permadeath would still take effect but your character wouldn't "die," only be held awaiting execution at an Imperial base. It would be pretty nifty if you could visit your own Jedi charcter in prison. :cool:

I dunno, just some random thoughts.
 setsuko
04-06-2003, 6:33 PM
There is no way to imprison people. The devs said they thought about it, but agreed that it is just taking fun away from the game. Noone wants to look at your character being held in a prison cell for ten hours straight, do they? :)

But yes, plans existed, a looong time ago.
 Jodo Baas
04-06-2003, 9:13 PM
Not nessicarily. I'm not saying I think a legitimate 5-by-5-foot cell with nothing but a bed and bars would be any fun, but what about an installation where you could move freely between a sleeping wing, a food wing, and like a recreation courtyard? There could be NPCs everywhere willing to "smuggle" you out because they have contacts, or say once every other in-game day a Rebel group blasts a wall down, allowing the imprisoned characters to escape in the midst of a gunfight. That way, if ever captured, the character would only be "in jail" for a max of about an hour, and they could be plenty of stuff to do.

The characters could even get branded with a tattoo number, which could help them or hinder them with other NPCs and Imperials. The tattoo would disappear the next time they died and had to be cloned, but it could make for some serious "lay low and cover" times.
 Zendjir
04-07-2003, 8:27 AM
That would mean that every character would escape from prison :) Wouldn't that be veeeery unrealistic? They could have something you said as part of a mission or something, but not as a standard game feature.
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I think you have a good idea. And I don't wanna just shoot it down- but wouldn't it get really old after a while if you kept having to break out of jail? Besides, it's not certain for sure that PC's or NPC's will do a finishing shot on you. As you know (hopefully) that when your life is out you fall to the ground and are incapacitated. At this point, most NPC's will lose interest (save they kryat dragon and others), after about a minute or two your character will regain consciousness. However, the more agressive mobs will just finish you off and you'll end up at your spawning point.

I think for the most part you'll see BHers finish players off more than anything.
 Jackrabbit
04-07-2003, 2:24 PM
I think it would be a cool idea for a mission, to break people out of some form of imprisonment. I don't think being captured would be fun though, no matter what kind of activities they have planned for the prisoners. What if it happens late at night, and nobody is on? What if nobody wants to break you out? It could be cool if it was organized, like some sort of RP event, but other than that, I don't think it would go over too well.
 Jodo Baas
04-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm saying that the "break out" would a scripted event, yes.

And I agree that the fact that EVERYONE breaks out of prison might be a tad unrealistic, but it seems even more unrealistic that NOBODY goes to prison.

Just my two cents, anyway. :D

EDIT

Or hey, what if they included Kessel as the only planet that has an "imprisonment rule." It's the home of the Imperial prison/mining facility if I'm not mistaken, and smugglers or other shaddy characters who are knocked out by an Imp NCP or other player would spawn in the prison with all the above stuff implimented. That way, people wouldn't have to deal with being in prison ALL the time (only on Kessel), and it woud give us all a chance to experience the Maw, too.

Or when the Space Expansion comes out, anyway. :D
Page: 1 of 1