Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

one more stupid poll about sabers...

Page: 1 of 1
 SlapNut
04-06-2003, 5:03 AM
what type of saber u wanna choose while fighting
 HertogJan
04-06-2003, 5:24 AM
Single, maybe sometimes a dual bladed one. But I think the double bladed saber, and even more the dual sabers, are crap, they spoil the fun for me. It was OK in the movies, where Anakin used two sabers for a couple of seconds, and where Darth Maul had a great fight, but c'mon, those moments were special because it was once in a lifetime. I'm not totally happy with the new saber options in JA, I hope the two new sabers will have lots of disadvantages and that you can only select them on a couple of missions...
 SettingShadow
04-06-2003, 5:26 AM
Double bladed when fighting 2 or more enemies, and then snuff one end - making it a single blade for one on one :)
 P4ulo
04-06-2003, 8:35 AM
Triple blade saber
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 8:40 AM
Single-blade here. ;)
 SettingShadow
04-06-2003, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by P4ulo
Triple blade saber

uh... k :|

bah, Im hopeless... now I'm not sure wich I like most, double bladed, or single :/ I wont make those decisions untill the game comes out... easier on my brain.
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 8:44 AM
Triple? Heh.

I wonder if they'll add 'Double DualBlade' possibilities.

I hope two sabers and dual blades do equal or less damage than a single blade, or MP is going to be chaos. :snear:
 HertogJan
04-06-2003, 9:21 AM
Saber duels look chaotic already with 1 saber. Imagine a 16player FFA match on bespin, where everyone i hacking into eachother with two sabers on the main square... An entire forrest of sabers, aaaargh :eek: :eek:

http://www.starwars.com/img/homepages/padme/padme_body3.jpg)
Something like this, but without Natalie Portman... Or rather WITH ;)
 Bilbo Skywalker
04-06-2003, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Saber duels look chaotic already with 1 saber. Imagine a 16player FFA match on bespin, where everyone i hacking into eachother with two sabers on the main square... An entire forrest of sabers, aaaargh :eek: :eek:

http://www.starwars.com/img/homepages/padme/padme_body3.jpg)
Something like this, but without Natalie Portman... Or rather WITH ;)

oh and look, theres hekx 5th from the right :D:D
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Bilbo Skywalker
oh and look, theres hekx 5th from the right :D:D Shh! I snuck on set. Like the pose eh? :D
 SithLord13
04-06-2003, 10:44 AM
ALL i Say is Double edge saber, the true weapon of a Sith :dsaber:
 HertogJan
04-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Of a sissy sith, yes :p Fight with 1 blade; fight like a man!! Or wookie... or weequay... or trandoshan.... or rodian... or twi'lek... ;)
 Solo4114
04-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Dual sabres. Something always appealed to me about fighting ni-to (Japanese version of dual "sabres"). It just seems like you'd be unstopable, although, for game balance, you'd need to make it so that this is either very hard to master as a skill, or has some major downside to its use, to offset the upside. Realistically, being able to fight with a weapon in each hand and use both effectively would render you a true force to be reckoned with. You can block and attack at the same time, parry an attack and counter in seconds, attack from two different angles, follow up attacks at twice the speed you'd normally be able to, etc.

I'd suggest one or more of the following attributes to balance things:

1.) Less flexibility -- you're required to specialize ONLY in dual sabres and must "unlearn" the single sabre stances at anything above level 1 or so. Thus, in a duel, you'd only be able to use the dual sabres and would not be able to use a single one, given that you'd spent most of your time focusing on how to effectively use the other stances. Towards that end, in terms of countering other stances, you'd be at a disadvantage. You'd have to approach each problem the same way every time (or at least with the same stance).

2.) Your attacks do less damage than every other stance, but are still fast. Think of dual sabres as a sort of blue stance plus. That, of course, assumes that the different stances do different damage (which I think is inaccurate to begin with -- sabres are lethal even if you casually slice through someone's arm -- the strength with which you hit doesn't matter in terms of damage).

3.) Less defense -- because you are using two sabres, you might argue you're more focused on offense (I know, I know -- goes against what I said above about being able to attack with one and defend with the other), so your defensive abilities are lessened.

4.) Extra force power required -- you could allow people to still use other stances, but require them to sacrifice points to buy the dual-sabre stance. Thus, you'd be more of a sabre-focused jedi and woudl have to forego taking extra powers.

To me, the best balancing aspect would be the lack of flexibility required by intensive training in this one area alone. You could still give people access to the basic three stances, but require them to effectively operate at level 1 for each of the basic three. Or you could use the fourth option and just require a really high point expenditure to get the dual sabres. That's my theory anyway.
 Silent_Thunder
04-06-2003, 4:40 PM
Single bladed for me. But ofcourse I'll try the other stances out too.

I don't think the double saber should be "unstoppable once mastered" it should be the same as the other stances, with weaknesses and strengths.

I think the double sabers should have the hardest time breaking a block, since the attacks are much weaker using only 1 hand for each saber. Also, the same should be blocking, harder to block attacks with two sabers, since its weaker than 2 hands focused on one saber.

But the attacks would be much harder to evade, since you could effectively be a whirl wind of sabers.

I just hope the double saber doesn't turn out to be like the light stance, but faster. With the light stance alot of people would just spin around as fast as they could -- and actually be somewhat effective. If it is made just as easy or easier to use the double sabers in such a manner, then we might have those annoying button mashing saber battles again.
 Matt-Liell
04-06-2003, 4:56 PM
2 sabers! Going elf style!:cool:
 eastcoast2895
04-06-2003, 11:54 PM
i love the idea of two sabers, but of course i would hope each saber style has their own disadvantage and advantage. also i hope the single saber is given the option of extendable blade like in the novels where the blade does not have a fixed length, but rather two or three differing ones depending on how many crystals, wow idea wouldn't it be cool if a side mission could be finding crystal for your saber so it can be extendable, have another, or dual. (did they mention that ever?)
 SlapNut
04-07-2003, 5:20 AM
thanks for your oppinions guys, wow i didnt know that there were so many pros and cons with the sabers in the new game, i thought it would be like the first where all the sabers are the same but different graphics, i cant wait!
 happydan
04-07-2003, 8:11 AM
what im *hoping* for SP is that the dual sabres is a spontanious thing like in AotC... a last ditch attempt to protecta key NPC, maybe culminating in the fall to the dark side :D
 P4ulo
04-07-2003, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
Triple? Heh.

I wonder if they'll add 'Double DualBlade' possibilities.

I hope two sabers and dual blades do equal or less damage than a single blade, or MP is going to be chaos. :snear:

- Sounds like easy shaving to me (yes head and limbs) :evanpiel:
 Pedro The Hutt
04-07-2003, 10:14 AM
I'll settle with a traditional single lightsaber with a green blade XD
 MattJedi
04-10-2003, 12:09 AM
As for what Hetog Jan said, Thow the double bladed saber might have been a very rare thing it mightened have been for a sith warrior such as maul, he new he might be faceing two jedi at once so a double bladed saber or sith saber if you will would be ideal. As for two sabers at once it might have been very common for jedi, if you look closely at AOTC geonosis battle there is another jedi in the background using two sabers the hole time. so its very likely many jedi expanded there ability to use the lightsaber, or two, Yoda was a saber master but he chose only to use the one. then again it might be just a spur of the moment thing to gain a momentary advantage, pick up another saber from a fallin jedi and have at er! ;) anyway those are my thoats about that.
 Shotokan
04-10-2003, 12:30 AM
im mostly gonna pick the single blade....
 SkiTzoGuy
04-10-2003, 1:34 AM
Originally posted by Shotokan
im mostly gonna pick the single blade....

I would have to agree with this guy, i think with one blade its more funner and it seems that you have more honor or sumtin like that anyway ill go for single saber too.
 Andy867
04-10-2003, 1:38 AM
I would go with the dual sabers, just because I can, and because its looks like it will kick @$$ :d I mean, the Solo(no pun intended) sabers have been in every film, the double-blade made it into the first prequel, but then along came the Dual Sabers, thanks to our hero and villain, Darth Vader:D :vadar::vadar: Yea:D
 HBK
04-10-2003, 1:54 AM
I said single for now. Just because it is the classic way and it is what I know.

All the new styles frighten me :(
 JediBozQ
04-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Wielding two sabers is a dream come true in AOTC. Too bad it only lasted for seconds:(

I just can't enough of Shanghai Knights. The sword fight between Jackie Chan and that English dude was......jaw dropping. Lucas must hire Jackie for Episode III's Lightsaber scene:D

Anyway, two sabers for me.

Either that or single on the left arm;)
 HertogJan
04-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JediBozQ
Wielding two sabers is a dream come true in AOTC. Too bad it only lasted for seconds:(

I was glad it only lasted for a few seconds, it was great that way! Otherwise, it would be too much like a 'gimmick', like the double saber and dual sabers are in JA...

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they'd scrap the entire double/dual saber idea... :rolleyes:
 JediBozQ
04-11-2003, 5:43 AM
Yeah. It makes the Single saber original.
 the_Beast
04-11-2003, 7:00 AM
i would only go for a double edge saber if there are good animations
because now it looks like your killing yourself with jk2
 Toa Tahu
04-11-2003, 10:02 AM
No,it's definately not stupid...it's informative...

As for me,I'll most definitely take a single Blue saber...it just doesn't fit me using 2 swords(unless the one on the right is longer) or a quaterstaff,literally,so to speak,to kill someone off.

But I hope by using the alternative 2 "stronger" stances Raven wouldn't give them "extra" damage like how they fumbled with the stances in JK2...go around in blue stance and never get a frag,literally.
 SettingShadow
04-11-2003, 2:54 PM
Forget my other posts, I go for the single blade... its way cooler and you get the most controlled fights IMO. :)

I just wich... somehow... I could change my vote :|
 Pedro The Hutt
04-13-2003, 5:06 PM
hm, I do wonder what would happen to a double bladed saber user if he'd be on the losing end of a saber lock XD
 Iblis Reborn
04-13-2003, 6:00 PM
gotta way to see how they work ingame...i said this before somewhere else but if it looks kewl and thats it then its no good
 MattJedi
04-13-2003, 6:50 PM
I hope they add a little something to the single saber to make people want to use it, like a couple new blocking animations, or new special moves or something, that would be sweet cause thats probly what im gonna use. I see a lot of people running around with double and two sabers.
 Master_Payne
04-13-2003, 6:53 PM
Single for me, with or without adds...
 El Sitherino
04-13-2003, 11:27 PM
two sabers
 Andy867
04-13-2003, 11:47 PM
I think that the addition of the new saber ideas would come in handy ONLY if you chose your character to have the physical attributes for them, like quicker reflexes, better eye-hand coordination, but fewer points allocated to attack damage, etc. That way people can decide whether or not their character can even wield a double-blade or dual sabers.
 MattJedi
04-14-2003, 10:53 AM
I think people should have to give up force alocation points in order to weild double or two sabers, not many just enough that it would take away one or two force powers that would be usefull to them, because using those saber setups should require more of a fixation into saber combat training, like the movies.
 SithLord13
04-14-2003, 9:31 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
I think that the addition of the new saber ideas would come in handy ONLY if you chose your character to have the physical attributes for them, like quicker reflexes, better eye-hand coordination, but fewer points allocated to attack damage, etc. That way people can decide whether or not their character can even wield a double-blade or dual sabers.

Maybe But then it wouldnt it become too RPG and can even the quake engine do that *sits and thinks* wait the quake engine can do anything :D
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 9:35 PM
YES!!!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS HOPING!!!!

This way double headed light sabers(my favorite) will be rare. but y do u want 1 light saber i didn't think it'd be popular.
 SithLord13
04-14-2003, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by MattJedi
I think people should have to give up force alocation points in order to weild double or two sabers, not many just enough that it would take away one or two force powers that would be usefull to them, because using those saber setups should require more of a fixation into saber combat training, like the movies.

argeed!! :D
Page: 1 of 1