Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Location! Location!

Page: 1 of 2
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 2:35 PM
Okay, we know that Yavin IV will feature in the game...and the GameStar mag mentioned Tatooine (backed up by grainy screenshots) and Hoth. What other planets/locations do you think will be in the game? What locations would you like to see the most? A return to Bespin, perhaps? Or new worlds from the Star Wars universe?

Personally, I'd like to visit Dagobah...I'm a sucker for swamps. :D
 Taos
04-04-2003, 2:38 PM
I would definitely like Dagobaugh! Also, I'd like to see some others that we haven't been to before! More exploration is always fun! :D
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 2:39 PM
I think Coruscant would be cool, though maybe too much like Nar Shadaa. Hoth and Tatooine should be pretty sweet. I'd like to play on Korriban(sp?), the Dark Jedi planet, and Corellia(sp?), Han's home planet.
 leXX
04-04-2003, 2:40 PM
I'd definately like to see Coruscant, it's my favourite planet in the Star Wars universe. I'm a big city girl. :D
 The_One
04-04-2003, 2:48 PM
A decent version of Nar Shaddaa - they had it spot on in Dark Forces and JK, but it didn't feel right at all in JKII.

There is a screenshot of what I think maybe Nar Shaddaa in the screenshots section on the JA homepage.
 Agen
04-04-2003, 2:52 PM
I'd personally also like to see nar in the way it was in jk1. They got the architecture and heights perfect IMO :)
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 3:01 PM
Of course, if they do include Nar Shaddaa...they must include one very special item on the level...

a spray can, for making graffitti! :D

I have to say Hoth is one of my favourite SW planets...and if we do get to ride a Taun Taun, I'll be in my element.

A planet I've always wanted to see (movie or game) is Mon Calamari. If they include a Mon Cal as a playable character, it would be kickass to visit the home world...
 greedo626
04-04-2003, 3:03 PM
from what I can tell from the 10 screenshots, it looks like Yavin 4, some dark temple(like something out of MotS), and Tatooine.
this screenie http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/6.jpg) doesn't look like any planet I can think of. it's a cool pic though so I'm using it as wallpaper on my desktop:D
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by greedo626
some dark temple(like something out of MotS),

Yes, that definitely look like a Sith temple in some of the screenshots. I wonder if this could be an actual re-imagining of Dromuund Kaas from MotS itself?

Or as someone else hopes...perhaps Korriban?
 Katarn07
04-04-2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by The_One
A decent version of Nar Shaddaa - they had it spot on in Dark Forces and JK, but it didn't feel right at all in JKII.

What he said.

Return to Dromuund Kaas would be neat. I would like some other planets from the original DF in there. Maybe Anoat City (no sewers this time, thankyou :p ), Talay (a thriving NR base?), and heck, why not Cal Seti (home to Ramsees Hed)? I love city levels where you don't have to kill stormies all day long...

Also, Sulon would be cool to revisit.

And even Ord Katrassi. (Uhhh, that's what I call the planet where Takara and Ka'Pa are, also the place where Mara tracks down Abron Mar in MotS.)
 leXX
04-04-2003, 3:26 PM
Yeah, that screenshot is wicked. The lighting looks perfect imo. It seems the locations are going to be huge in this game from what I've read, and by the looks of the screenshots so far, the detail is going to be beautiful.
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:27 PM
I really like the going into bad guy's base type thing in jk1 :)
That funny feeling :) and also an on foot chase seems like good fun in jk3 for osme odd reason (dunno why i jsut came up with it) but probably not a chance since they've done most of the work.
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 3:34 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
and also an on foot chase seems like good fun in jk3 for osme odd reason (dunno why i jsut came up with it) but probably not a chance since they've done most of the work.

What...you mean like having to follow an enemy throughout the level, or something? Yes, that would be good...and who knows, they might have something like that in there. They seemed to be suggesting their trying to shake up some of the gameplay elements in each mission, so hunting someone down sounds like a good call to me. I think something like that would work better in a city-style level...where you can lose someone in a crowd, or around a corner, quite easily. Then use your Jedi senses to focus on them again...

Hell, if they don't include that in the retail game...maybe it should be a MOD. :D

leXX...that screenshot actually reminds me a bit of RUNE - same kind of lighting effect. If they can get close to RUNE visually, then they're onto a graphical winner, IMHO.
 Katarn07
04-04-2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
What...you mean like having to follow an enemy throughout the level, or something? Yes, that would be good...and who knows, they might have something like that in there. They seemed to be suggesting their trying to shake up some of the gameplay elements in each mission, so hunting someone down sounds like a good call to me. I think something like that would work better in a city-style level...where you can lose someone in a crowd, or around a corner, quite easily. Then use your Jedi senses to focus on them again...

Hell, if they don't include that in the retail game...maybe it should be a MOD. :D

That sounds just like MotS... Only, you never have to really keep up with the guy, because you confront him in the cutscene.

Also, someone had released a mod for MotS or JK where you are a sandtrooper and must chase down a guy. It was a test, and it failed miserably IMO...

City is needed. Lots of them, and no JO Nar Shaddaa, thankyou.
 Agen
04-04-2003, 3:49 PM

Yep, that's what i'm talking about and perhaps force sight would be good if it was densely populated with lots of corners (maybe no the dense mind you) and the guy you were chasing is highlighted compared to the rest. The better the level of sight you have, the easier it is to catch him :) would be a good catch in trying to balance out your powers....
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Also, someone had released a mod for MotS or JK where you are a sandtrooper and must chase down a guy. It was a test, and it failed miserably IMO...

Hmmm...perhaps it comes down to how it's implemented. If it's done well, I think it could be good. As Agen just said...perhaps if the character your chasing has a glow on them or something, so you can identify them more readily. I remember the MotS level you speak of...and it was a bit hit and miss, because you're never sure you've got it right, IMHO.

Anyway, I still think it could work as part of a mission, leading onto something else. In a way, that's what the first level of Jedi Knight was supposed to be...chasing 8t88 through Nar Shaddaa...but you never actually got to see the droid until the end of the level. That was one of the failings of the game, IMHO.

And I still say we need a spray can... :D
 leXX
04-04-2003, 4:08 PM
And I still say we need a spray can... :D

JSRF meets JKJA lol, works for me. :D
 Agen
04-04-2003, 4:09 PM
*makes petition for spray can*

j/k :D
 MuRaSaMuNe
04-04-2003, 4:13 PM
I'd like to see Barons Hed again, and maybe add some civilians and innocents to kill! That's the thing I didn't like about JK2, there were no civilians wandering around...
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe
I'd like to see Barons Hed again, and maybe add some civilians and innocents to kill! That's the thing I didn't like about JK2, there were no civilians wandering around...

Ah yes, I can just see it now. Baron's Hed as a thriving community under the New Republic...and the Dark Tower turned into a shopping mall. :D That would be so funny! ;)
 DeTRiTiC-iQ
04-04-2003, 4:32 PM
As much as I want to see Coruscant, I don't want them doing it unless they can really pull it off.

I'd also like to see Kashyyyk, that would be pretty cool, an entire mission taking place above the forest floor.
 ryudom
04-04-2003, 5:11 PM
heh yeah, there's definitely gotta be a city with lots and lots of civilians. hopefully that bar shoot will have many more civilians then it does there heh. it was kind of weird how in JO there wasn't a true civilian in the entire game, IIRC...
 Wacky_Baccy
04-04-2003, 5:17 PM
I wouldn't mind a return to Dromuund Kaas if they can work it in... Hoth should be fun, too :D

A jungley-foresty type place would be good, too (like Endor) ^_^

*edit* Only just read DeTRiTiC's post - Kashyyyk sounds good to me! :D

Ad of course, Nar Shaddaa is a must, provided it's done more like it was in JK rather than JK2 :( :D
Posted by StormHammer
Ah yes, I can just see it now. Baron's Hed as a thriving community under the New Republic...and the Dark Tower turned into a shopping mall. :DBwahahahaha :lol:
 Agen
04-04-2003, 5:21 PM
As long as it has some decent shops then i won't be compalining :D
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 9:58 AM
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
As much as I want to see Coruscant, I don't want them doing it unless they can really pull it off.

I agree. Coruscant is really supposed to be a planet-sized city buzzing with life...and I don't think they could get anywhere near what we saw in Episode II. And that's the fundamental problem...having seen it like that in the movie, we'd inevitably want to see something similar in a game. Sparsely populated winding corridors don't really cut the mustard these days. :(

I'd also like to see Kashyyyk, that would be pretty cool, an entire mission taking place above the forest floor.

Have you ever played the Tokara Forest map in UT2K3? That map is pretty much how I would envision Kashyyyk - only bigger, of course. If Raven could give us something like that map, it would be excellent.

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
Ad of course, Nar Shaddaa is a must, provided it's done more like it was in JK rather than JK2

I agree. It needs to be far more sprawling and complex, with lots of twists and turns and vertical drops. While the Nar level in JO was good (in it's own right), it just didn't feel like Nar. Again, though, they're going to be hard-pressed to realise a bustling city crawling with low-lifes. I remember how enemies just seemed to magically appear on ledges the further you went...and it didn't feel very realistic. I've discussed this problem before in other threads, but they need to address how they 'introduce' characters to your line of sight, and make it a bit more logical.

So, are there any other locations people are hankering for?
 Darth Lunatic
04-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Yes, that definitely look like a Sith temple in some of the screenshots. I wonder if this could be an actual re-imagining of Dromuund Kaas from MotS itself?

Or as someone else hopes...perhaps Korriban?
That would just be plain awesome! I loved Dromuund Kaas and those sith statues, very atmospheric!!
 Prime
04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Hoth hand Tatooine are definitely the places I want to go, and it appears that I will get my wish. Corellia would be cool to. How about Endor as well? I always like going through forests...
 toms
04-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Hoth was the one i realy wanted (i hope they make it like the ICE levels in DF, they ruled). Also lots of opportunity for using sabers to drop icicles, colapse ice bridges etc...

I really liked the Red Pallette on the gas mining level from DF too.

Endor would be good, as we already know what it looks like from the movies... again lots of choices for cutting rope bridges.

As for other options, i would really like to see their versions of the planets from EPs1 & 2... 30 years on. (although i doubt they would be allowed).

THe ruins of Naboo city, find a crashed droid control ship and activate the power before you realise what it is (very aliens).

Also, another ship-based boarding action on a blockade runner like at the start of ANH would rule. (with the sparks and smoke and rebel troopers crouching at the sides of the corridor). THey tried one in MotS, but the technology wasn't really up to it.

Baron's hed would also be cool. And Jabba's palace (with whoever controls it now)
 HertogJan
04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
I liked bespin :D I want urban environments, but without all the ledges and snipers... It was cool for 1 time, but it can be frustrating ;)
 Master_Payne
04-14-2003, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by greedo626
from what I can tell from the 10 screenshots, it looks like Yavin 4, some dark temple(like something out of MotS), and Tatooine.
this screenie http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/images/screens/6.jpg) doesn't look like any planet I can think of. it's a cool pic though so I'm using it as wallpaper on my desktop:D

It remind me the last level of Bounty Hunter
I want a earth like planet (Chandrilla, Thyferra(?) or wathever its spelled) also a city planet, Coruscant or Corellia, maybe Malastare to sorta replace yavin swamps but please WITHOUT RAIN
and of course civilians, the nar Shaddaa of JO has a lot of people but, why an entire moon against you?
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by toms
Hoth was the one i realy wanted (i hope they make it like the ICE levels in DF, they ruled). Also lots of opportunity for using sabers to drop icicles, colapse ice bridges etc...

I've always wanted a proper Hoth level to play around in too. Riding a Taun Taun would be great. You know, someone could even make a MOD for Taun Taun races...

THe ruins of Naboo city, find a crashed droid control ship and activate the power before you realise what it is (very aliens).

Hehe. That could actually be quite cool. "Oops, what did I touch?" or "It's not my fault!" as the power comes on and droidekas start pouring out of the walls...

Also, another ship-based boarding action on a blockade runner like at the start of ANH would rule. (with the sparks and smoke and rebel troopers crouching at the sides of the corridor). THey tried one in MotS, but the technology wasn't really up to it.

Yes, I forgot to mention that in my want list, but I'd really like to have a ship-based level too. That kind of scenario would be great, especially if you had to defend some civvy's with your lightsaber as the enemy pours through a hole in the wall. Pirate smugglers boarding a ship, low gravity, the ship plummeting into the gravity well of a planet or sun...and you need to get an important notary to an escape pod while under fire... all in a days work for a Padawan... :D

Originally posted by Master_Payne
I want a earth like planet (Chandrilla, Thyferra(?) or wathever its spelled) also a city planet, Coruscant or Corellia, maybe Malastare to sorta replace yavin swamps but please WITHOUT RAIN

Malastare? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the home of the Gran? I'd only want to go there if a lot of the Gran were neutral NPC's. I wouldn't want an entire planet against me. :D

Corellia might be good to see as well, considering it's the birthplace of Han Solo, Wedge Antilles etc. It would be fun if you bumped into one of them along the way...

You know, seeing mention of all these other worlds (some of which may or may not appear in the SP game), it makes me wonder if it will be at all possible at a future date for people to make MODs of these worlds to add them to the SP campaign as alternative missions - sort of like the plugins used in Morrowind, etc. That would increase the replay value even more, IMHO.
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 4:46 PM
i'd love to see naboo
:lsduel:
 boinga1
04-14-2003, 4:53 PM
well, i'd hope they'd include home worlds for all the races (Rodia for Rodians, Ryloth for Twi'leks, Correlia and some others, maybe Naboo for humans, plus Kashhykk if there are Woolies, etc.). Definitely movie locales, Coruscant (there's a lot of reference material), Tatoinne, Yavin, Hoth, Endor, plus other cool places :)
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
well, i'd hope they'd include home worlds for all the races (Rodia for Rodians, Ryloth for Twi'leks, Correlia and some others, maybe Naboo for humans, plus Kashhykk if there are Woolies, etc.).

That would certainly make a lot of sense. :thumbsup: Most of these worlds have only really been hinted at in EU material, and it would be great to actually explore them (even a small part of them).
 Blademaster_109
04-14-2003, 4:59 PM
yeah, i would want to see my home planet if i was a different sepices. Also i really want tatoine.
 Krayt Tion
04-14-2003, 8:02 PM
I'm just glad they're claiming a larger number of locales instead of the few locations broken off into many bits thing from JO.

Dark Forces ruled that way... snowy ice planet, hot red dry planet, mountainous cliff planet, powered-down devasted city, ultra secure imperial city, spaceships, underground sewers, a good nar shaddaa. Top notch, not third-rate like JO.
 StormHammer
04-14-2003, 8:14 PM
Originally posted by Krayt Tion
I'm just glad they're claiming a larger number of locales instead of the few locations broken off into many bits thing from JO.

Dark Forces ruled that way... snowy ice planet, hot red dry planet, mountainous cliff planet, powered-down devasted city, ultra secure imperial city, spaceships, underground sewers, a good nar shaddaa. Top notch, not third-rate like JO.

Now that you mention it, Krayt, it does seem a bit more like DF than JK. :) The only problem with DF now, though, is it takes hardly any time at all to go through those levels now, so lets hope they get the size and complexity of design spot on to make each mission really challenging. I'd hate to be playing JA the third time through in a third of the time.
 Wacky_Baccy
04-14-2003, 11:43 PM
Posted by StormHammer
You know, seeing mention of all these other worlds (some of which may or may not appear in the SP game), it makes me wonder if it will be at all possible at a future date for people to make MODs of these worlds to add them to the SP campaign as alternative missions - sort of like the plugins used in Morrowind, etc. That would increase the replay value even more, IMHO. OMG... OMG OMG OMG if we can do that - just drop new missions in like that - it could be awesome, and would MASSIVELY increase the SP replayability value :eek:

I can't believe that it didn't occur to me before... Stormy, you're amazing :D

I'm not even sure I understand what I'm getting at here myself, but if it works the way I think it might, then... Wow...

*has been completely blown away by the idea of just being able to slot new missions in :D*

I dearly hope it works something like that in the finished product... I also hope they release the editing tools before the game, too, so we can get a good feel for how they work before it's released (they said they were doing things differently to how they did JK2, so I'm keen to see what those differences are and what effects they might have...)

...I tend to get a little hyper when I'm tired :D

But I really want to get my paws on the editing tools to see how they've done things... Adding your own missions that still 'fit' between the ones that are built into the game would be simply awesome... *goes off to sleep on the idea*
 Swat
04-15-2003, 4:32 AM
u guys ever considered Dantooine?
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 5:31 AM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
OMG... OMG OMG OMG if we can do that - just drop new missions in like that - it could be awesome, and would MASSIVELY increase the SP replayability value :eek:

I can't believe that it didn't occur to me before... Stormy, you're amazing :D

I have my moments. :D I agree that this kind of thing would be awesome, but I'm unsure how easy (or hard) it would be for them to implement. I only thought of it because of the mention of being able to pick and choose your next mission. It just sounds a bit modular to me, and that's a good thing. I certainly hope Raven have considered doing something like this.

Swat...have I considered Dantooine? You mean for a holiday? :D I believe Dantooine is going to appear in Knights Of The Old Republic, so it might be cool to go back there 4000 years later.
 dnalor
04-18-2003, 1:26 AM
:eek: I would like to see Dagobah, Bespin, Hoth, Yavin IV, Dathomir, Kashyyyk, Endor, Tatuin, NAr Shadda, Coruscant, Corellia, Trandosha, Mon Calamari, Bakura, Myrkr...etc... and much more..in the game :) :deathstar
 Archonon
04-18-2003, 3:24 AM
I would love to see Coruscant, absolutely my favorite planet in SW. I't be excellent to chase someone past crowds of npcs, enter a couple of establishments, go to the Jedi Temple (if it's still around or was rebuilt, which if it hasn't it very well should be) and finish having a saber duel on the rooftop of a skyscraper, with the city and buzzing traffic around you. If somehow this could be pulled off, that'd be my choice. A great big city world with a lot of stuff happening around the main mission. No good game has had Coruscant in it yet and (within the current limitations as to its portrayal) it's a real shame. It's the capitol dammit, important crap should happen there too!

Other locales I'd like to see, Korriban definately, maybe entering some sort of giant ancient Sith Temple/Citadel resembling Moria from LotR. I wouldn't mind seeing Kamino. Tatooine of course, especially if they have a great palace to satisfy my Dune munchies. Hoth is cool but depending how they make it, just underground bases that are unending chunks of ice don't really blow me away. Basically, aside my wish to see a high tech developed world such as Coruscant, I'd generally like to see more fantasy-Tolkienesh oriented locations (temples, palaces, citadels and underground cities with massive statues, halls, etc) as opposed to normal sci-fi (ships and space stations or standard imperial bases) as mission locales, though I know it ain't happening...oh well. Still, the game looks really good.
 JDKnite188
04-18-2003, 10:19 AM
I would prefer to see the whole game in locations that are not in the movies. That was one of the best things about JK and MotS. I got to see whole new worlds. I wasn't expecting anything, because I had no clue what to expect. It was more interesting that way.

I wouldn't mind going back to some MotS locations. That game was really exotic with its locations. We had a NR military base, Imperial military base (the asteroid), a Hutt Palace, urban city/spaceport, 2 criminal facilities (loved 'em), corvette map, nebulon cargo ship map, and the amazing Sith Temple which I have not beaten still.

Sadly, I guess its obvious that we will have to revisit some movie locales in this. It better be varied at least. I don't want to have to say, "Oh, look that is the hangar where Leia and the gang escaped on the Millenium Falcon! YIPPEE!". That would be lame and "fanboyish." At least JK2 didn't do that and thank god for that.
 StormHammer
04-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
I would prefer to see the whole game in locations that are not in the movies. That was one of the best things about JK and MotS. I got to see whole new worlds. I wasn't expecting anything, because I had no clue what to expect. It was more interesting that way.

Although I'd like to visit Dagobah and Hoth, I tend to agree with you. It would get a bit boring just going around the locations seen in the movies. That's why I also want to see some of the places that are mentioned in the movies, but never seen - like Mon Calamari, maybe Kessel, and some others. After all, that's what we'll be getting in Knights Of The Old Republic, with Dantooine and Korriban. I hope there is a lot of variety - and judging by the fact that they said they wanted a different location per mission (and each mission is basically a single large level), then it should feel more like MotS, which did a fair amount of switching around, as you said.
 JDKnite188
04-18-2003, 6:01 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing locations "mentioned" in the movies. Kessel and Sullust would be interesting to see among other systems.

All I know is that the screenshots for this game raise some major speculation about what will be visited.
 dnalor
04-22-2003, 7:00 AM
To sum up, it can be stated, we would like to see great variety of planets from films, books, JK games.

I like changes. Those planets can give interesting story to JKA.
 Prime
04-22-2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
I wouldn't mind seeing locations "mentioned" in the movies. Kessel and Sullust would be interesting to see among other systems. I like this idea!
 joesdomain
04-23-2003, 2:27 AM
I would like to see Yavin 4, Tatoonie, Dagobah, Hoth, Bespin, Endor, Dantoonie, Corellia, Ord Mantell, Courscant, Kessel, and some other planets.
 Prime
04-23-2003, 1:04 PM
Luckily some of those we have seen already.
 taekwondo joe
04-23-2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I would like to see Yavin 4, Tatoonie, Dagobah, Hoth, Bespin, Endor, Dantoonie, Corellia, Ord Mantell, Courscant, Kessel, and some other planets. quite a list there ;)
Page: 1 of 2