Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which weapons from previous games would you like to see in JK3?

Page: 1 of 2
 Belgirion
04-01-2003, 9:10 PM
I'm curious as to which weapons from other games people would like to see in JK3 (Other than the stormtrooper rifle, bryar/blaster pistol, thermal detonator, and lightsaber) :D
 Kengo
04-01-2003, 9:21 PM
Good question :)

I hated the Fusion Cutter big time! The Imperial Repeater (JO) was much fun....but didn't seem particularly Star Wars for me. The disrupter was a good idea (sniper rifle normally is) but I didn't like the way the zoom function worked....once you'd zoomed in you couldn't zoom out.

The concussion rifle was a lot of fun, and I'd love to see fists used in conjunction with the lightsaber (as we saw a bit in the films...I think).
 Belgirion
04-01-2003, 9:24 PM
"I hated the Fusion Cutter big time! The Imperial Repeater (JO) was much fun....but didn't seem particularly Star Wars for me. The disrupter was a good idea (sniper rifle normally is) but I didn't like the way the zoom function worked....once you'd zoomed in you couldn't zoom out.
"

I know what you mean....the guns in JO just didn't feel 'star warsy' to me like the guns in DF, JK, and MoTS did...bring back some old school weapons Raven!
 Kengo
04-01-2003, 9:30 PM
I guess a problem is that too many blaster/laser based weapons might get a bit repetitive..."this is a blue laser, this is a yellow laser, this is a greeny orange laser...". Still, grenade launchers and machine guns just don't do it for me. A couple of...meatier guns than we saw in JO might be nice, some really powerful assualt rifle style laser guns. Stealh pistol of some kind could be fun (and useful).
Also, don't know if anyone remembers the laser cutter thingy in Turok 2 - there was a continous beam as I remember it.
 dark jedi 8
04-01-2003, 10:31 PM
i liked the flechette gun from JO, but i think they need to include some better guns. IMO. the ones in JO were not as good as the ones in the original DF. they just need to be more "star wars like", like what you said Belgirion.:)
 boinga1
04-01-2003, 11:07 PM
hm...maybe fist in conjuction with a NON-UBER saber move...JO repeater was good but too ammo-consumptive...jk repeater was a bit wimpy and alt fire stank....concussion rifle was cool but pushability would have to be added.
 Jeff 42
04-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Disruptor. Best weapon EVER.
 Zappa_0
04-01-2003, 11:21 PM
I would like to see the rail detanator gun placed back into the Jedi Knight Series. I know everybody loved it in Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries Of The Sith.
 Khaza
04-02-2003, 1:22 AM
I would have liked to vote for Fists, Imperial Repeater, Rail Detonator and Concussion Rifle. But since I have to choose 1, I voted for Rail Detonator :D (MOTS version with different ammo types)
 HertogJan
04-02-2003, 6:26 AM
I liked the imperial repeater :D The secondary fire was good enough when up close and personal ;)

But the fists could be cool too, in conjunction with the lightsaber; yes :D

But pleeeeease remove the Flechette, Heavy Repeater etc, especially their secondary fire was lame, it didn't look very starwars indeed...
 Prime
04-02-2003, 10:26 AM
For the record, FISTS are already in JO. You can get them by putting the following in the console:

give weaponnum 14
bind [selectionkey] "weapon 14"

Now you have access to fists. Hitting [selectionkey] will enable the fists, and the fire button will do a left handed punch, and the alt-fire will do a right handed punch. Beating the **** out of stormtroopers is a blast :)

"Hey! You there!" **THUMP**
 Darklighter
04-05-2003, 6:58 AM
I'm not really bothered about the other weapons. As long as they have lightsabers, I'm content:D
 Proto
04-05-2003, 7:14 AM
Personally I'd like the Rail Detonator to come back as I didn't like the Merr Sonn Missile Launcher at all. But first off: there is no JK without Concussion Rifle :).
I won't be disappointed if I don't find in JA Golan Arms FC-1, Heavy Repeater in it's JO version, and two different kinds of mines.
As for MP, I still don't understand what DEMP2 is doing there in JO :rolleyes:.
 t3rr0r
04-05-2003, 9:15 AM
i just want real weapons, not crap made up for games. >_< and, yes... fists would be great to have.
 T-Dogg
04-05-2003, 9:24 AM
If there's a lightsaber, it's good enough for me. Once I got the saber in Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight 2 I didn't use any other weapons. Now there's three different lightsaber weapons: single, double and two sabers. I won't be needin' no freakin' guns, man!
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 6:52 AM
I voted to bring back the concussion rifle. I liked that gun in JK.

I also agree that they should ditch the heavy repeater, the rocket launcher and the flechette. They just don't feel quite right. I think a lot of the Imperial type weapons should go, actually, because it looks like this game has a greater variety of missions, rather than fighting Imperials every five minutes. It would make no sense to me seeing a lot of Imperial hardware without fighting Imperials. So while I'd like to see the concussion rifle, they should mix up the rest of the arsenal...
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I voted to bring back the concussion rifle. I liked that gun in JK.

I also agree that they should ditch the heavy repeater, the rocket launcher and the flechette. They just don't feel quite right. I think a lot of the Imperial type weapons should go, actually, because it looks like this game has a greater variety of missions, rather than fighting Imperials every five minutes. It would make no sense to me seeing a lot of Imperial hardware without fighting Imperials. So while I'd like to see the concussion rifle, they should mix up the rest of the arsenal...

On the other hand, maybe the imperials had a big blowout sale right after Endor. "We've lost our Empire, and everything must GO!!! Crazy Vader's prices are INSANE!!!! This BRAND NEW Imperial Repeater can be YOURS for only $19.95, plus shipping and handling!!! Act now, and we'll throw in a case of thermal detonators!! WOW!! That's over $200 worth of hardware!!!"

As for guns I'd like to see, I'd love to see the old school Imperial Repeater back, and the concussion rifle. Those guns seemed MUCH more "Star Wars" than all the explosive weapons. I don't mind explosives in Star Wars, I just thought that the way they operated was a little too "generic FPS". This was true in Elite Force, actually. All the weapons came across as just clones of stuff you'd see in other FPS games, with new graphics. I'd like more originality. The DEMP WAS a pretty original gun, but it was about as useful as t!ts on a bull in MP. I think you could have heavy blasters that have a concussive effect. Look at how blasters behave in the Star Wars films. When Han is trying to escape Tatooine in the first film, he's able to blow big chunks out of the ceiling with his pistol (or maybe that was the Falcon's concealed blaster). When people get shot by blasters, they leave smoking mini-craters. So I think that a larger, heavy blaster (IE: the various light machinegun based blasters we see in the first film) would work well as heavier weapons.

Oh, and BRING BACK THE DL-44!!! Enough with the damn Bryar pistol. If we're not playing as Kyle, could we PLEASE get a better pistol????
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 6:43 PM
the heavy repter was great becuase u couldn't block it with the light saber
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 6:51 PM
Yeah, but there are other ways to do this. Bring back the concussion rifle. You couldn't block that with the sabre either. Bring in a mid-range flamethrower (just steal the code from RTCW!!) that you can mount on your wrist. Bring in a dart gun, or a TRUE flechette weapon (that fires small darts very quickly and DOESN'T fire an explosive blast). There are plenty of ways for Raven to bring in creative weapons that can't be blocked by the sabre, without resorting to hackneyed weapons that are essentially a flak cannon, rocket launcher, grenade launcher system.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 6:59 PM
yeah those r good, i'd say rockets but u can force push them away.
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 7:06 PM
Actually, I think you can push away any of the projectiles, be they rockets, blaster bolts, bowcaster bolts, or repeater shots. I thought that was a pretty cool feature and I'd leave it in JA. I would, however, speed up the travel time of most of the projectiles to require more dodging and to lessen the chance that you can just push away rockets constantly.
 Blademaster_109
04-16-2003, 7:08 PM
u could push away graneads(sorry i know its spell'd wrong) but not the heavy reapter's alternate fire.
 Solo4114
04-16-2003, 7:23 PM
Yes you could. I've pushed away plenty of Heavy Repeater Alt-Fire Big Balls o' Plasma Death and seen them explode on the opponent instead. I always thought it'd be fun to try and play catch with the repeater balls. See how long you could toss one back and forth between you and someone else. Same with missiles.

Hey, that could make a cool mod! Missile football!! Someone launches a missile and everyone is tasked with pushing it towards the opposing goal. :) Explosive fun for everyone!
 Iblis Reborn
04-16-2003, 7:42 PM
they are trying to make the lightsaber the main weapon so if they make all these weapons that cant be blocked then the saber will be useless

ppl would also whore them to death if there was no way to block em

one thing i think they should do though is not make it so easy to hit the shot back at the guy who shot it
i always found that kinda cheap...even if they do, do it all the time in the movie
i dunno i guess i just like to work for my kills with a saber
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by Solo4114
Hey, that could make a cool mod! Missile football!! Someone launches a missile and everyone is tasked with pushing it towards the opposing goal. :) Explosive fun for everyone!

ROFL :rofl: That would be so funny, and cool at the same time.

I hear what you're saying about blasters. I wouldn't mind a different kind of repeating blaster, myself. Seomthing with a totally different design - and yes, even different coloured blaster bolts. It's a small thing, but it does add a little variety. I remember all of the different types of fire from guns in DF, which helped to differentiate them.

There was nothing much wrong with the mines and things in JO, so maybe they should return for the next outing in some form as well.

I'm still waiting for more original exotic alien type weapons, though.
 HertogJan
04-17-2003, 9:18 AM
It's fun to play with missiles. I had a match in the duel of the fates map, you both have a goal and one fires a missle and the oither must push it back. Then you push it etc. I think we managed to push it like 10 times in a row, maybe even more :D It's great fun for a while ;)

Oh and yes I want a bigger blaster rifle in JO, not the stupid flechette etc... And the concussion rifle is great to, way better than the rocket launcher...
 wedge2211
04-17-2003, 11:04 AM
JO is in the post-Imperial era, so I'm not sure what enemies we'll be facing...certainly some sorts of mercenaries/Outer Rim lowlifes, plus whoever's chugging out new Dark Jedi. The Jedi have sabers, duh, but you need a host of other weapons. Think about where these weapons would come from: If it's mercs, then they're either publically available weapons or black-market. Publically available basically means the whole host of blasters, blaster pistols, blaster rifles, heavy blasters, sniper blasters, assault blasters, E-Webs, (please include stun settings), you all know em. Now, the black market is where things get interesting...concussion rifles, defininitely! Plus things referenced in the EU like several types of disruptor weapons (rifles, pistols), sniper weapons, ion cannons, vibroblades (knives, swords, axes), various industrial tools (one book I read included a small cutting tool that was, essentially, a millimeter-diameter finger-long lightsaber), and some projectile weapons. I don't think the projectile weapons are *particularly* "Star-warsy, but then again, rocket-propelled devices are a very sensible way to deliver an explosive weapon, so keep the Merr-Sonn or some variant. The repeater is okay, maybe replace it with a repeating *blaster,* and the secondary fire certainly makes things interesting. Mines/det packs are also especially useful in some occasions, and we ALL know about--"he's holding a THERMAL DETONATOR!" the only weapon that really pestered me was the DF mortar launcher. Ick, unfitting in SW AND useless.

All these weapons will have to have SOME weakness against a force/saber-wielder, after all, Jedi *are* uber in the SW universe. However, they can be taken down. That's why we need such a range of weapons to oppose them: Jedi have to be fast, but also be able to adjust their tactics to suit the battle and the enemy weapons used--and so should we, in the game. We also should be able to use those enemy weapons to our advantage.

One thing I want to know is if we'll be limited in the amount of weapons we can carry. Say the game includes 20 weapons, will we only be able to carry 5 at once? Even though it's fun, I find it slightly unrealistic to watch in 3rd-person as my character reaches down to his hip to holster his blaster pistol, and then from the holster pulls a freaking BAZOOKA. :) We should have some weapon limit, or better yet, a wieght factor, and be able to choose our equipment, choose what to pick up and what to drop.
 taekwondo joe
04-17-2003, 11:07 AM
i vote fist!!!!!! time to deck em, although i doubt they will bring um back :(
 StormHammer
04-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
One thing I want to know is if we'll be limited in the amount of weapons we can carry. Say the game includes 20 weapons, will we only be able to carry 5 at once? Even though it's fun, I find it slightly unrealistic to watch in 3rd-person as my character reaches down to his hip to holster his blaster pistol, and then from the holster pulls a freaking BAZOOKA. :) We should have some weapon limit, or better yet, a wieght factor, and be able to choose our equipment, choose what to pick up and what to drop.

Well, in the PCGamer article they mentioned that you'll be able to choose your weapons between missions...which to my mind means they will be restricting the number of weapons you can carry.

Personally I'm still waiting to see my character actually carrying the weapons in 3rd person. They got around this in EF by using a 'transporter buffer', but that doesn't really cut any ice in this kind of game. All they have to do is have sticky guns on the hip and across the back, IMHO. If RUNE can do it, surely they can do it for JA...
 Krayt Tion
04-18-2003, 6:44 PM
Bring back the fists, replace secondary fire on stormie rifle w/ blue stun.

JO's weapon set was so disappointing overall.

Agree 100% with the trite generic feel of the axis of evil ;) essentially grenade launchers, rocket launcher and flak cannon. Been there. Done that. So very poor.

Any big gun from JK would be better than Raven's offerings last time around. Sticking rails and shootings conc was much more entertaining.

Hate to piss in anyone's cheerios but it looks like they're bringing back the entire old weapon set plus 2 new ones. Removing old weapons means that they admit the error of their ways, afterall.

Can't say I'm expecting anything great this time around.

:giveup:
 Ben_Walker
04-25-2003, 5:35 AM
For me it's a tough chooice between the Concussion Rifle [JK], Assault Cannon [DF] and the Sequence Charges [I have found memories in JK MP where I would stick a charge onto a wall, run backwards, then sprinting towards it and just before it blows jump so that I fly backwards for mile and miles due to the impact].
 PrimoSidone
04-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Fists have the most votes.....

Tell me what are u guys gonna do with fists?
How do u think u are gonna hit something with that?

Just like in UT, u know that melee weapon? wich u had to load. That was crap and i think so will fists be if Raven is really gonna make them. Especially in MP

Promo
 taekwondo joe
04-26-2003, 12:01 PM
put god on and punch the crap out of grans, get in a boxing match, that would be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rail detinaitor was my second choice, that gun sticking to peeps, is fun, then BAM! they dead
 Toa Tahu
04-27-2003, 8:52 AM
I say bring back the Disruptor,that was the best gun in JO IMHO.
However,other than that,I don't bother whatever weapons they might put in,as long as Raven make them balanced.
 Prime
04-27-2003, 1:41 PM
I voted for fists, but I'd like to see kicks as well. In general, I would like to have some "martial arts" moves along with actual weapons. Perhaps you could have special combos for unarmed combat as well?
 PrimoSidone
04-27-2003, 3:11 PM
I have to agree with Prime on that, kicking owns, just like in episode 1 , maul kicked ass :D

What also would be nice is flips. If u stand in fron ot a guy u just butterfly over him then kick him and then hack him into pieces. :D
 HertogJan
04-27-2003, 3:27 PM
Pleeeeease no martial arts... Kicking is fun (and we're going to have it properly implemented in JA, looking at the screens, yay! :D) and fists would be nice too (though I'll never use them), but hey, that's enough. I'd rather have Raven focussing on improving saber battle than adding extra fancy martial arts moves :rolleyes:
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Jouw mening geld niet :p
 HertogJan
04-28-2003, 11:04 AM
slet... :p

ph34r my L337 glowing name :p

And let's not get offtopic, or this thread will be closed :eek:

BTW, do you think fists are usefull, compared to the lightsaber?? They have limited range and you can only use them when not holding your lightsaber (well you could punch with left :rolleyes: )... It would be useless to switch to fists and then deliver a punch, then switch back to your lightsaber and fight :rolleyes:

And I'd rather not have ppl using only fists and kicks, that would be very boring and not very SW like :(
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-28-2003, 11:37 AM
I would like using the fists (and kicking) like Qui-Gon did in TPM! I would also like a sniper, bu tI think it should zoom another way! I didn't use many of the weapons, when I got my lightsabre!

Btw: What's that fusion cutter?
 Prime
04-28-2003, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
BTW, do you think fists are usefull, compared to the lightsaber?? They have limited range and you can only use them when not holding your lightsaber (well you could punch with left :rolleyes: )... It would be useless to switch to fists and then deliver a punch, then switch back to your lightsaber and fight :rolleyes:

And I'd rather not have ppl using only fists and kicks, that would be very boring and not very SW like :( I would like to have punches and kicks incorporated into lightsaber fights, like in the movies. I know what you are saying about punches being the least effective of the weapons, but they could be useful in certain situations...
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 6:58 PM
Jan is right , this aint no boxing game......

ull try to beat the guy up.. he swings his lightsaber .... ur dead..... REALLY usefull....:confused:
 PrimoSidone
04-28-2003, 7:01 PM
Prime maybe with combo's doen matrial arts style, but else..... i dont really think fists are that usefull

Like taking a knife to a gunfight.

The Untouchables
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-29-2003, 5:47 PM
Have you ever seen episode I PromoSidone? Qui-Gon uses his fist and nearly had Maul killed. Maul also kicked Obi-Wan!
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 6:38 PM
I saw epsiode I bit i dont recall Qui pushing Maul on the floor start kickign and punching him like a streetfight do i?
 Solo4114
04-29-2003, 8:17 PM
Well, we already know you'll be able to kick, so I imagine that should be enough for those who like the notion of playing kung fu jedi. I'd rather the fists not make an appearance. I never found 'em that useful.
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 8:21 PM
Never saw a kunfu jedi put on his braces and start hitting a nother guy did i?
 t3rr0r
04-29-2003, 9:14 PM
uh, what about teras kasi (not the game)?
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
I saw epsiode I bit i dont recall Qui pushing Maul on the floor start kickign and punching him like a streetfight do i? Of course not! Maul kicks Obi-Wan once, and Qui-Gon punch Maul once!
 Echuu Shen-Jon
04-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Okay, I'll ask again, since I haven't got an answer! Originally posted by Echuu Shen-Jon
What's that fusion cutter?
Page: 1 of 2