Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

jk3-what game platform will it be on

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeedii_zaarinn
03-30-2003, 6:55 PM
i hope this jk3 is gonna be on ps2, and wish jk2 was ps2
 Hekx
03-30-2003, 7:01 PM
To my knowledge, PC.

Maybe they will expand it onto PS2 and X-Box.
But KOTOR will be on X-Box, so will people really need JKIII? ;)
 -=DarkZero=-
03-30-2003, 7:02 PM
Im pretty sure it will be on all platforms (GC,X-BOX,PS2 and PC.)
Either way I'd get it no matter what :D
 dark jedi 8
03-30-2003, 7:35 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
To my knowledge, PC.

hell yeah we will!! by the way, KOTOR is comin out for pc as well, so do you really need JKIII?:D
 Jeedii_zaarinn
03-30-2003, 8:08 PM
yeah we need jk3, and my pc can't handle raven's computer requirements its why im hoping its on ps2
 Prime
03-30-2003, 8:25 PM
As long as it is on PC, I don't care. One of the best parts about JO is all the extra skins, models, maps, and mods you can get, which is one reason why I don't have a console. I've added tons of models to the SP JO, so now the game is pretty different from the first time I played it. Those things really extend the life of the game. Besides, I'd rather play MP with 15+ people instead of split screen...
 dark jedi 8
03-30-2003, 10:38 PM
well, my pc sucks, so i got an x-box.:D we got jkII and KOTOR!:D and hopefully jkIII.:D
 Jeedii_zaarinn
04-02-2003, 3:11 PM
same with my computer

it sucks 2
 Andy867
04-03-2003, 10:46 AM
It will probably follow the routine of Jk2 and come out for the PC, then eventually make its way to the Xbox and Gamecube, but no PS2
 OnlyOneCanoli
04-03-2003, 3:40 PM
The press release confirms it will be on the PC and Xbox. Whether it's exclusive or if it will be ported sometime down the line is yet to be seen. I personally doubt it.
 Jeedii_zaarinn
04-03-2003, 5:41 PM
this stinks though

lucasarts made star wars games for ps2

they just can't ask raven to make it for ps2?

i think that is game racist right there
 OnlyOneCanoli
04-03-2003, 7:20 PM
Game racist? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

Maybe they think that their profits won't be very good with the PS2. Or that they'll have to dumb down the graphics too much to get it on there. Or that the gameplay simply wouldn't work out on it. Maybe thy didn't want to display their work on a system they didn't think could stand up to the challenge. Who knows.

Surely there are better reasons than Raven and Lucasarts being "racist" against a game console.
 Prime
04-03-2003, 8:13 PM
Lets face it. The PC platform is the shiznit! :)

Ok, I'm done...
 ^_-
04-04-2003, 8:36 AM
its coming out on the pc and xbox
 Silent_Thunder
04-06-2003, 9:23 PM
I really hope it isn't going to be like Kotor where the PC version is released long after the Xbox version... I might have to go out and buy an Xbox then... which would suck :).
 Hekx
04-06-2003, 9:32 PM
Let's hope they shove it on PS2 too. ;)
 Andy867
04-06-2003, 9:38 PM
JA won't be brought over to the PS2, just like Jedi Outcast wasn't brought over.
 joesdomain
04-07-2003, 12:43 AM
That was my gripe about Jedi Knight II and Rogue Squadron II. I heard it is only coming out on PC and X-box. They really screwed the PS2 Star Wars fans again. Now they are doing it again! They aren't putting out a Playstation 2 version of Knights of the Old Republic, Jedi Academy or Rogue Squadron 3. They might release a Mac version after they release PC or X-box since they don't have any games coming out. I really hate Lucasrts, Raven and factor 5 right now. Plus the Rogue Squadron 3 isn't coming out on PC version again! Even though the 1st one was. They still can't seem to make Original Trilogy or After original Trilogy video games for Playstation 2. Apparently, They all have to be non-star wars games and Prequel Trilogy Star Wars games. They probably won't get my business for awhile til they straighten up.
 Man_with_saber
04-07-2003, 4:10 AM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
To my knowledge, PC.

That little winkie face says to me you know KotoR just isn't the same animal. Yes, we really need more Jedi _action_. In fact, why not port Dark Forces II to the Xbox? :)

I know Raven's a PC developer, and that PCs are the "shiznit" for gaming, but many of us just can't afford the computer upgrade scene. We are no less avid gamers in many cases. It's bad enough we shell as much or more for the same games sometimes. Only to find that online MP was dropped, or that we will never get to use many of the PC cheats we read about. (I'm talking extra fun after the game is finished, not cheating to beat it.) How about a little sympathy for the Jedi of lesser means. :(
 Jeedii_zaarinn
04-07-2003, 4:36 PM
allright guys what i think we should do is talk to lucas arts and raven. but the peaceful thing to do is if by some miracle a person from raven and lucasarts is looking at this, i would probably talk to them somehow and voice every one's oppinions.

the reason why is: i like jedi outcast, knights of the old republic, and jedi academy. however my computer can't handle them. and some of u are going to say "jeedii, why don't u upgrade ur computer?" well the thing is i don't got the money to do it. now with ps2 it is good as any other system. lucasarts published some star wars games, and they turned out fine. examples: star wars bounty hunter, sure the game had a couple mishaps, but i thought it was a great game! being a bounty hunter was neat. star wars the clone wars, that game was neat also! sure that game was short and i loved flying around in the little ship with the composite lasers, but overall that was a great game. now lucasarts is making it for on xbox too? so my point is how hard is it to make some neat games for other systems. its not like ur rebuilding the whole darn game? just gotta make the stuff compatible with the game system.

heck jedi outcast is a great game, but i can't really play it on my computer cuz of the high graphics. and now with a game that lets u choose ur character, lightsaber handle and color, that is pretty cool!!!!!:cool: plus u get to do some vehicle fights and ride on them!! jedi academy is practically the ultimate star wars game.

so now i hope that somebdoy from raven or lucas arts would look at this.

thank you for ur time.
 JaledDur
04-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Lets face it. The PC platform is the shiznit! :)

Ok, I'm done...

Hell yeah. :)
 Taos
04-07-2003, 11:14 PM
I hope that they bring JA to Xbox Live...they should have and could have done it with JO. I know when I had an xbox [before I sold it to my brother] it didn't take long for me to get bored of the mp. It would be nice to give console gamers something like that IMO - the chance to play online. :)
 Jeedii_zaarinn
04-09-2003, 5:02 PM
so do u all see what i mean? one guy wants it on xbox live, i want it on ps2 if we can all cooperate here, this can be a win-win situation
 Jeedii_zaarinn
06-11-2003, 7:56 PM
yes it can be a win win situation. just by cooperating.
 acdcfanbill
06-11-2003, 10:48 PM
its been confirmed for XBOX and XBOX-Live. i seriously doubt it will come to PS2 since the ps2 cannot even handle the game at the graphics level of XBOX. and GC looks like a no-go also...
 Andy867
06-12-2003, 2:41 AM
Yea, from what I;ve heard, the Gamecube will not be available after initial supplies run out due to lack of sales in the current fiscal year. And the graphics would be too much for the PS2, so like addcfanbill said, it will be strictly X-Box/Live!, and PC
 HertogJan
06-12-2003, 6:40 AM
We don't know on what platforms JKIII will be released, because
JK3 ISNT EVEN ANNOUNCED YET!!!

Why do ppl still call it JK3?? It's called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy... ITS NOT A SEQUEL!! Even the press thinks that though, how badly informed can you be? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 StormHammer
06-12-2003, 11:26 AM
If they would have to really nobble the graphics to get either game onto the PS2...then why not simply turn all graphics options off and reduce the screen res to 640x480 on your PC? Or does it still not run? I'm just curious to know if your PC system specs meet minimum system requirements for JO.

Anyway, I'd have to agree with the others. If the game is too much for a PS2 to handle, then it's better not to see it ported to that platform at all.
 Prime
06-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Jeedii_zaarinn
allright guys what i think we should do is talk to lucas arts and raven. but the peaceful thing to do is if by some miracle a person from raven and lucasarts is looking at this, i would probably talk to them somehow and voice every one's oppinions.A miracle indeed. :D It doesn't matter if someone from Raven reads it, because it would not be in Raven's power to decide whether or not to make the game for PS2. The odds of someone from Lucasarts reading this is remote. It is even more remote that that person has the power to make that kind of decision. :(

now lucasarts is making it for on xbox too? so my point is how hard is it to make some neat games for other systems. its not like ur rebuilding the whole darn game? just gotta make the stuff compatible with the game system.The thing is, it is much easier to port a game from PC to XBox than PC to other systems. The reason is that XBox runs a version of DirectX, and a modified version of Windows (I'm pretty sure about this second part). Because of the similarity to the PC Windows platform, it is easy to port the game over to XBox with only a few changes. The PS2 and Gamecube, on the other hand, use completely different methods to handle all the graphics, sound, and so on. To port over a PC to these consoles is much more work, because there are a larger differences compared to the PC and XBox.

So the amount of work, and thus time and money that Lucasarts/Raven has to spend is higher, and thus profit is lower. As XBox becomes more and more popular, it becomes less enticing to port PC games to consoles other than the XBox, because they will already have a large market with just the PC and XBox. I suspect that as time goes by, you'll see most PC games ported to the XBox only.

There just isn't enough room for all the consoles, and we are already seeing this with the Gamecube.

so now i hope that somebdoy from raven or lucas arts would look at this. We can dream :)
 Andy867
06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
We don't know on what platforms JKIII will be released, because
JK3 ISNT EVEN ANNOUNCED YET!!!

Why do ppl still call it JK3?? It's called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy... ITS NOT A SEQUEL!! Even the press thinks that though, how badly informed can you be? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, on the LucasArts Game Info page it says and I quote
Originally posted on LucasArts' Jedi Academy Game Info page
Game Info | Features

Availability: Fall 2003
Genre: Action
Platform: PC Windows, Xbox

So, as you can see, we DO know what platforms it will be for.
 Prime
06-12-2003, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
So, as you can see, we DO know what platforms it will be for. And have known for some time :)
 Andy867
06-12-2003, 1:21 PM
Prime - I was just confirming to those disbelievers (HertogJan) that we do know.
 Emon
06-12-2003, 2:45 PM
Raven is developing JA, and simultainiously Vicarious Visions is porting their work to the XBox.

The only two platforms we know of for sure are the PC and the XBox.

GC and MacOS are likely platforms, and Linux an PS2 are less probable.
 Gabrobot
06-12-2003, 2:52 PM
Prime - I was just confirming to those disbelievers (HertogJan) that we do know.

Ummm...but that's Jedi Academy not Jedi Knight III...

I think I saw something about some Raven people speculating that there might be a Jedi Knight III that uses the Doom 3 engine, and that follows Kyle's son...but that's all just speculation.

The PS2 is not capable of running most modern PC FPSs at a decent detail level because it just doesn't have the hardware needed. You tell right off that it's not as good as the other two consoles just by looking at the video cards of the three consoles:
The Xbox uses a modified Geforce card that NVIDIA made for it
The Gamecube uses an ATI card that ATI made for it.
The PS2 doesn't have much of a video card, and most special 3d features which a video card would normally do, have to be manually programmed into the game and they have to run on the CPUs.
 Andy867
06-12-2003, 6:30 PM
Here is a direct quote from Project Administator, Kenn Hoesktra, on the matter of Jedi Academy/JK3

Originally posted by Kenn Hoesktra via Email

JK3 sort of is Jedi Academy...
It's Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. No idea if we'll do another Star Wars game after, though... Future projects are all still up in the air right now.

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra
Project Administrator/
Director of Support Services
Raven Software Corporation
http://www.ravensoft.com/)
http://www.kennhoekstra.com/)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:08 PM
To: Hoekstra, Kenn
Subject: Re: Raven Software News

Hey Kenn, I've heard a couple rumors and just wanted
to be able to personally clear them up for good by
coming straight to you. Is there any word of a JK3
after Jedi Academy or will Raven Software go for other
Star Wars titles?

So, as you can see, the 3rd title for Jedi Knight is Jedi Academy, it just won't be officially labeled Jedi Knight 3. So there you have it, and there you are.
 HertogJan
06-13-2003, 6:05 AM

I know what platforms it was for, I was just pointing out this isn't (technically) JKIII!! So we don't have any info on JKIII... We do know what platforms JA will be released on, but JA simply isnt JKIII!!!
 Andy867
06-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Actually, if you read my latest post, Kenn Hoesktra, confirms that JA is basically JK3, it just isn't flat out called Jedi Knight 3, but he also did say that they don't know if they will be doing any more games after this one for the Star Wars Universe, but there still are titles up for grabs.
 Prime
06-13-2003, 12:38 PM
This is getting a bit nit-picky :D

So, for the record we know...

What platforms Jedi Academy will be on...

That Jedi Academy is not technically JKIII...

That there may or may not ever be a true JK3...

Does that cover everything?? :D
 Crow_Nest
10-07-2003, 6:51 AM
Originally posted by Hekx
Let's hope they shove it on PS2 too. ;)

PS2? but Xbox is better.

Ever since Xbox came out, PS2 is history!!!
Page: 1 of 1