Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Modern City Street

Page: 1 of 1
 dekerd
03-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I had another thread, but this one is more official. Here's a little update from the last time. Pretty self explanatory. Just a few extra pictures...

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=115780)
 -=DarkZero=-
03-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Amazing!
Is it gonna be rpg or just a normal map
 dekerd
03-31-2003, 12:48 AM
Thanks. Actually, it's just going to be a normal map. Not sure how to do RPG maps. This is my first so I'm still learning as I go.
 Hekx
03-31-2003, 4:34 AM
If it's an RPG map. Just make it easier to 'play' in and interact with objects with triggers. Look at Mos Entha RPG for example. ;)
 .:Solusar:.
04-04-2003, 2:00 AM
Good luck with this map..
hope it doesn't die and all that stuff... Looks good so far.. :D

04-04-2003, 2:13 AM
Nope, it definitely won't die. I gone through too much to not release it.

Update: I added a sewer system underneath the street, I'm trying to work water in there somehow. Also, I only need one more building on the street than I'll be going over the final adjustments and smaller details. I'll get some screenshots up in here when I can.
 dekerd
04-04-2003, 4:01 AM
Ok, I put some sewer related screenshots, nothing too spectacular, but it will allow for some cool gameplay I think.

ioshee
04-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Wow looks amazing. What is your boundary going to be? I mean what will be the reason people can't go beyond your street.
 dekerd
04-04-2003, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by ioshee
Wow looks amazing. What is your boundary going to be? I mean what will be the reason people can't go beyond your street.

Good question. For the ends, I have a Dead End sign and then a road block in front of a tunnel (to nowhere ;)).

As for the non street boundaries, I haven't decided yet, I'm thinking about fences and various obstacles like dumpsters and crates.
 dekerd
04-07-2003, 4:14 AM
Update:

Alright, I've finished the sewer system underneath the street and added the new SS. I also added some water although I don't think the SS show that just yet. I think all I have to do is one more building, some more detail, then I'll have to figure out how to package it all in a PK3.
 Ronin_Medjai
04-07-2003, 9:00 AM
Plz Include Botroutes for ur map so we can use the NPC Features in the upand coming _ _ _ Mod correctly ;)
 Shotokan
04-08-2003, 4:38 AM
wow that jes owns man. looks very promising.
 dekerd
04-26-2003, 3:46 AM
UPDATE:

I added a few little extras, and some new screenshots.

wedge2211
04-26-2003, 1:46 PM
It reminds me a lot of X-COM. Anyone else ever played that game?
 Wudan
04-26-2003, 3:02 PM
@wedge - I was thinking the same thing!
 dekerd
05-09-2003, 9:29 AM
Ok, so the map itself is pretty much completed, I need to start working on the music and botroutes and things like that now.

Also, as an extra special treat I'm going to include a "Matrix" version of my map. Just for fun, I retextured the whole map with green filtered textures and now it has a cool Matrix feel. You can see some photos of the Matrix version with the rest of the screen shots...

Hope you guys like it.
:fire3: :fire2:
 Eldritch
05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Broke linky-linky no worky-worky. :D

And last time when I was able to get onto the main page, all I could see was the thumbnails, whenever I clicked on it to see the large picture it never showed up.
 dekerd
05-09-2003, 9:21 PM
Are you sure? It works for me. Hmm...
 Eldritch
05-10-2003, 10:32 AM
I can get to the main site sometimes, but the pictures still don't show when I click on them.
 Wudan
05-10-2003, 11:09 AM
!) Those textures are too green
2) To obtain a more universal slight greenish tint, you should have just adjusted all of your lights. I did this once and it looked pretty good.
 dekerd
05-10-2003, 8:36 PM
Originally posted by wudan
2) To obtain a more universal slight greenish tint, you should have just adjusted all of your lights. I did this once and it looked pretty good.

EDIT: See next post...
 dekerd
06-01-2003, 2:31 AM
Originally posted by wudan

Wait a freaking second, scratch that, I completely disagree. I just watched The Matrix. Have you seen the film? Every texture within film is green filtered, and it's not subtle either, it's rather blatant. So I'm not changing a thing. Watch the opening scene with Trinity and get back to me.
 Kengo
06-01-2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
It reminds me a lot of X-COM. Anyone else ever played that game?

Damn skippy Wedge!

In the Matrix though the achieved the green look by green lighting right, not splashing green paint onto the structures themselves right (which is the equivalent of using over green textures). A subtle green light would give a nice eerie look. In the Batman films they had a lot of flourescent paint everywhere to make it look more like the comic book.
 dekerd
06-01-2003, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
In the Matrix though the achieved the green look by green lighting right, not splashing green paint onto the structures themselves right (which is the equivalent of using over green textures). A subtle green light would give a nice eerie look. In the Batman films they had a lot of flourescent paint everywhere to make it look more like the comic book.

Still, watch the opening seen with Trinity and you'll see that the green isn't subtle at all.

Also, when you're playing the map (when I release it) it won't feel like a lot of green, it feels more grayish. Plus not everything is the same shade, it exactly the same as the original map, only green filtered.
 wedge2211
06-02-2003, 3:26 PM
I liked the not-green XCOM look better...
 dekerd
06-02-2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
I liked the not-green XCOM look better...

Yeah, don't worry, that one is definitely the priority.
 nucular_jedi_14
06-03-2003, 9:02 PM
I like the feel of this map, and the option of a Real place such as a street. It kinda reminds me of the Battle Of Los Angeles map, with the real time feel to it. ps make the movie theater enterable plz, with like seats looking a big movie screen with like some cool movie moment.

good job,
and keep up the good work :D

NuKe OuT!
 dekerd
06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by nucular_jedi_14
I like the feel of this map, and the option of a Real place such as a street. It kinda reminds me of the Battle Of Los Angeles map, with the real time feel to it. ps make the movie theater enterable plz, with like seats looking a big movie screen with like some cool movie moment.

good job,
and keep up the good work :D

Thanks. Yep, the movie theater is definitely enterable, seats, flickering lights and all. I don't know how to add video within the map (I hear it's a chore), but the screen will definitely be movie like.;)

It's funny, I had a couple hundred movie theater seats and I was getting tremendous lag, but realized that my video card just really sucked. But since I got my new ATI 9100, it's fantastic. So if you've got at least 64MB card it should run smoothly, and if you don't, I trimmed it a bit to cut down on brushes.

Finally got the music working, and I'm now working on the bot routes. Can't wait for you guys to see it.
 dekerd
06-13-2003, 12:29 AM
FINISHED!!!!

Okay, so I'm now packing everything up in a zip file and sending it off to a few sites. I will create a release thread when I'm sure it's available for download.

The original map is called "Life on the Streets" and the Matrix variation is called "Life in the Matrix." I'm releasing them separately because the original is about 10MB and the Matrix one is about 15MB.
 Louis
06-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Didn't read about this until now, but if I had...I could have made you a short movie of sorts to go into your map! Or you could have used one of the JK2 movies just for laughs...oh well.
Page: 1 of 1