Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hebrew on Vader's Chestplate

Page: 1 of 1
 platypus202
03-15-2003, 11:57 AM
I speak and read Hebrew, and so does the rest of my family, but when somebody told me that there was hebrew on Vader's chestplate I didn't believe. I got all the people I know to look at it. Now, I need somebody else to look at it for me. If you do find that it is hebrew please spell it out for me (in hebrew). Thanks.
 BCanr2d2
03-15-2003, 7:24 PM
It is upside down Hebrew, if you are trying to read it, plus it is written in ancient Hebrew, not modern. I think the costume department got it wrong when they applied it to the Vader costume. Although the person who translated it at the site below seems to think that the writing being upside down gives it a different meaning..

TRy this site at theforce.net Chest plate writing (http://www.theforce.net/rouser/essays/chestplate.shtml)

In short, it seems to say (rough translation)
"His deeds will not be forgiven until he merits" - which seems to me like GL actually went to some lengths to have it make sense to Vader. I think the language they call it in Star Wars in Aurabesh(sp?).

This fits in perfectly with Vader - he is seen to be forgiven and placed back on the light side of the Force after removing the Sith influence on the Force. His part in the Jedi Purge, and of the destruction of the Republic is forgiven by his one act of the killing of Palpatine, and the eradication of the Sith...
 dark jedi 8
03-15-2003, 7:30 PM
interesting........ well, it makes sense.
 TK-99
03-15-2003, 7:38 PM
interseting.......
 platypus202
03-15-2003, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I did not see like that. I was looking at the chestplate in starwars.com, and it seemed to be diffrent from that of the website you gave me. I am not sure, maybe they changed suits between each movies. Thank you, BCanr2d2.
 Boba Rhett
03-17-2003, 2:52 PM
Woah, I had no clue. :eek: This is awesome.
 Taos
03-17-2003, 3:16 PM
I most certainly never would have guessed that. I just thought it was some made up markings or something. Very interesting indeed.
 Jed
03-17-2003, 5:59 PM
I've never heard this before.

That was an interesting link BCanr2d2, thanks! :D
 BCanr2d2
03-19-2003, 6:56 AM
If you look at SW hard enough, or happen to get the right things from it, there are plenty of little things like this, that have a very deep meaning, even if they seem insignificant.

When we get Episode 3 and the OT on DVD, we will be able to watch the trilogies back to back, where stuff mentioned in the PT is echoed in the OT. Watch TPM with the OT in mind, and it seems to have little things that forebode of what is to come in the OT.....
 ckcsaber
03-19-2003, 7:41 PM
"His deeds will not be forgiven until he merits"

Woah, that is cool. Little things like this are the reason why I love Star Wars
 dark jedi 8
03-19-2003, 7:59 PM
GL must have really spent some time researching that. gotta give him credit though!
 BCanr2d2
03-21-2003, 5:02 AM
Obviously shows that when he did his original screen play that he did a detailed history of where his characters had come from...

Now he is making some of that into a movie trilogy that when complete will hopefully have most of the SW universe make sense. We might get to understand why Obi-Wan and Yoda left, and why they went to the places they chose, amongst many things that hopefully will be shown in Episode 3..

Bring on that full Imperial March just before the credits roll, along with the fully dark scene, with only light reflecting off Vader's shoulder pads, his head not in shot. A pan to show Vader kneeling in front of Palpatine, finally revealing the full Vader, and perhaps an omen of the OT "What is thy bidding, my master?" or a "Welcome, my young apprentice"
 Wraith 8
03-22-2003, 4:01 PM
wow.. this i didnt know.. that pretty cool .. heh.
 leXX
03-22-2003, 9:30 PM
I watched the OT again the other day and I was staring hard at Vader's chest plate and I couldn't see any writing whatsoever. I know the writing is supposed to be small, but there was no hint of it, even when I paused it and had a good look. Are you sure this isn't made up?
 git_sum_stuka
03-22-2003, 11:32 PM
pretty interesting.
 BCanr2d2
03-26-2003, 5:19 AM
LeXX,

I doubt the lighting on a black chestplate, would be sufficient enough to be able to see the writing, even on the Laserdisc, or VCD versions of the film. It would just simply lack the quality to do so. I think it is something that is only really visible when looking at the costume itself, and not trying to spot in in the movies...
 leXX
03-26-2003, 6:20 AM
hmmm, I have to say I'm very sceptical about this.
 benTantilles
07-31-2003, 1:33 PM
that's cool...tho i doubt it's actually aurebesh...that was supposed to've been devised from scratch
 Jedi_Monk
07-31-2003, 4:01 PM
Incredibly sweet find there, thanks for the info, BCanr2d2!

Kind of like the hidden meaning of Duel of the Fates: Under the tongueroot, a battle most dread, while another rages behind in the head.
 pleto4_ryan
07-31-2003, 5:37 PM
WOW :eek:

thnxs BCanr2d2 for the link....

----------------------------------------------

the hidden meaning of Duel of the Fates

:confused:
 Jedi_Monk
07-31-2003, 6:34 PM
:confused:
Ahem... "Under the tongue root a battle most dread, while another rages behind in the head" is what the words in the song "Duel of the Fates" translate to. You know, "Korah, matah, korah, rotamah..." etc... ;)
 pleto4_ryan
07-31-2003, 6:51 PM
:eek:

thought they was just words, meaning nothing..... (a language we know, or the language in star wars???)

NICE
 another_trooper
08-01-2003, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I watched the OT again the other day and I was staring hard at Vader's chest plate and I couldn't see any writing whatsoever. I know the writing is supposed to be small, but there was no hint of it, even when I paused it and had a good look. Are you sure this isn't made up?

Yea, same here. . .
Im confused. . .
Page: 1 of 1