Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Furniture?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darknightmare
03-05-2003, 9:35 PM
Will we ba able to interact with furniture (sit on chairs, turn on lights). I know in most MMORPGs i have played you can't really sit on a chair, which really gives chairs little purpose. I mean what kind of cantina has tables and chairs that can't be used?
 exizzt
03-05-2003, 11:29 PM
It'd be cool if you could break things (like boxes, etc.)!
 Wraith 8
03-06-2003, 1:56 PM
yes.. there will be furniture in the game.. i quote one of the devs:

We have decided that the first order of business was getting crafters advanced enough to make sure some furniture. The place looked kind of barren.

see?

-Wraith 8-
 Deft Aklin
03-06-2003, 2:43 PM
For those of you that weren't aware, That was from Q's latest Beta update......

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/109030.html)
 setsuko
03-06-2003, 3:00 PM
Well, the word on the street is that you can't sit on furniture. Why? Because it is a bitch to program, that's why. Even if you made your models able to sit down, it would look ridiculous when rising or sitting at a table, unless you have some really impressive physical programming added, and the added weight on our poor processors would make the game run like syrup at the north pole. That's why.

Why have furniture at all, then? To make our homes nice and comfy, of course! :)
 swphreak
03-06-2003, 4:10 PM
I think we need to be able to sit on chairs, ect. I mean c'mon..... you goto a bar and the guy spends all his money on chairs and crap and no one sits in them... that'd be a real downer..... Borrow some action programming from the Sims or something.
 Jan Gaarni
03-06-2003, 5:17 PM
Well, the word on the street is that you can't sit on furniture. Why? Because it is a bitch to program, that's why.
So, they have cut it out now? Bummer. :(
and the added weight on our poor processors would make the game run like syrup at the north pole. That's why.

That's why you should let your grafics card handle those calculations, sister. :D
Get loads of RAM and a good grafics card, cause quite frankly, the CPU just isn't built to handle that kind of calculations. :D
Or atleast they didn't used to be.
 setsuko
03-06-2003, 6:32 PM
Yes, let your graphics card handle a complete and interactive environment, where every item has a working physics motor that makes your avatars able to squeeze down without any totally wretched glitches/clippings. Oh, and did I mention that it will have to keep track on your exact position, so that it can relay that to everyone who is at the same server, while at the same time keeping track of all other avatars in the vicinity? Now, I think you'll by now have a little, upset graphics card that is quite pissed at you. And who will put poison in your grandma's coffee and feed your dogs with your shoes, while you are still in them. We're talking that kind of pissed.

Oh, and I do know about RAM. But I doubt your processor would not also give the "feed you to the dogs" treatment once it has to take the brunt of all calculations that your graphics card would do, if it wasn't floating in its own melted curcuits :D

Comparing what you can do in a mmorpg which is true 3d with what you can do in fake-3d in sims is absurd. Truly. And if they borrowed programmed code from the sims, I would not buy the game. Seriously.

Oh, and if I don't stop typing and go to bed, I'll be even more cranky. If that is possible.
 Jared Sinn
03-07-2003, 3:33 PM
I recall a developers post back in 2002 regarding how proud they were that they managed to build a bridge that could be walked both over and under. Apparently, it was a commendable feat and it's something they should definately take pride in. With that in mind, being able to sit on furniture is not likely going to be a possiblilty anytime in the near future.

Although it would be nice to be able to recline on a well crafted chaise lounge...

JS
 Jan Gaarni
03-07-2003, 6:10 PM
Erhm, I'm abit confussed now. I think, I think, that you're making fun of me now, Set. But I'm not sure. :D

I was talking about the numbercrunching here, in the 3d models. The AI stuff can be handled by the CPU, by all means. ;)

But you still didn't answer my question: Have the definatly taken out the ability to sit down in chairs? Cause I destintively remember they were working on that a long time ago, but had to do it with standard sized models, meaning a normally tall wookiee would be smaller when sitting down in chairs. But I didn't follow up on that, so I don't know where it stands today.
 setsuko
03-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Yes, I was making fun of you for questioning my computer litteracy, and when did I ever mention the AI? ;)
 Jan Gaarni
03-08-2003, 4:17 AM
questioning my computer litteracy
Just for the record, I never questioned you computer litteracy. I am fully aware your knowledge on such things.
Which is why I poked fun at you cause I thought you knew I would never go out and say stuff like that and be serious about it. Plus, I know you. :)

Anyway ...
and when did I ever mention the AI? ;)
Well, basically I thought it was included here:
Yes, let your graphics card handle a complete and interactive environment,
Guess not. :D
Page: 1 of 1