Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Should Jacen Solo be killed off?

Page: 1 of 1
 *Darth Vega*
03-03-2003, 2:14 AM
They have totally screwed his character up. Heck, I find myself hoping he just dies so that he won't get in the way anymore. If it wasnt for this idiot, the entire NR-YV war would have ended when Centerpoint was fired. Then when the galaxy needed him most he abandoned his Jedi powers. He left people to die, refusing to help them only to use his powers again when people close to him were in trouble. Some Jedi.

Jacen Solo is a disgrace to the Jedi. He should be executed immediatly. Your thoughts?
 Lynk Former
03-03-2003, 2:27 AM
Everyone's being killed off anywayz, so it's just a matter of time ¬¬
 nova_wolf
03-03-2003, 4:19 AM
Originally posted by *Darth Vega*
They have totally screwed his character up. Heck, I find myself hoping he just dies so that he won't get in the way anymore. If it wasnt for this idiot, the entire NR-YV war would have ended when Centerpoint was fired. Then when the galaxy needed him most he abandoned his Jedi powers. He left people to die, refusing to help them only to use his powers again when people close to him were in trouble. Some Jedi.

Jacen Solo is a disgrace to the Jedi. He should be executed immediatly. Your thoughts?

Dude - harsh.

I like the way his character has gone, giving the GREAT USE OF THE FORCE debate embodiment.
Deep and well thought, but still confusing, ambiguous and open to make what you want of it.

He is the equivilant of a conscientious objector, which is no bad thing. It is a personailty type that would come up alot during such a conflict - hell, ANY conflict.

The caamasi for instance - look what happened to Elgos Akla (sp?)
Jacen is having to fight between waning to uphold the code of old, of peace, both normally and in negaotiations, but the need to defend himself and those he surrounds himself with - family, friends and the innocent.

It's a tough position to try and hold under the circumstances, and is actully an interesting insight into what many soldiers, past and present, may think.

I have a feeling he will die though, but not before showing the Yuzhan Vong, and indeed the Galactic Alliance, the ultimate truth of the Unifying Force....
 swphreak
03-03-2003, 6:41 AM
You must not be up to Force Heritic or Traitor. Jacen evolves from his "sissy state." It would be a major mistake to kill him. Besides, he's the strongest Jedi.
 Lynk Former
03-03-2003, 8:05 AM
wow, hey i can't believe i didn't think of this before... i just realised... NJO is just a Star Wars version of Dragonball Z

:lol: :rofl: :lol:
 swphreak
03-03-2003, 11:04 AM
....... Where did you come up with that idea? i think DBZ is stupid.....
 *Darth Vega*
03-03-2003, 11:59 AM
I stopped reading all EU books in 1997 and I just started back with Vector Prime this past december. Right now I'm on "Edge of Victory I: Conquest" with only like 20 pages to go.

Jacen is DEFINATLY my least favorite character. I so wanna see his ass die. It's gonna take nothing short of a miracle for me to start liking this lamer.

Inversely my favorite character is Anakin Solo. He's awsome.
 swphreak
03-03-2003, 12:29 PM
well, dont pass judgement until you've read up to-date. His character is much better now. He's not much of a sissy in Traitor.
 *Darth Vega*
03-03-2003, 2:27 PM
Jacen is responsible for the deaths of billions. He could have ended the war at the very start but he didnt. Because of him not only was the Hapan fleet destroyed, but entire worlds were conquered by the Yuuzhan Vong. None of that ever would have happened if Jacen had died before Centerpoint.

He had a chance to end the war. He didnt take it. Entire worlds died because of him.

It's gonna take a whole lot more than him not being a chicken**** anymore to get me to change my opinion of him.
 swphreak
03-03-2003, 2:37 PM
and many people live because of what he will do (as you read on).

Besides, it's your opinion of him, and I can't change it, and you can't change mine.
 Pnut_Man
03-03-2003, 5:18 PM
I had to do a "Hero Project" on a character from a novel which underwent a symbolic journey and transformed. Being the obsessive star wars fan that I am, I picked Jacen's journey in NJO: Traitor. While doing my research I finally started realizing truly how much change occured to Jacen's character. Vergere's ways, though disliked by some, made Jacen into the warrior that he was capable of becoming. Before the events of Star by Star I thought Jacen had been a cocky dumb-ass who was only getting in the way of Anakin. Upon completing Traitor I was amazed at how much potential Jacen now had. I have been a little dissapointed at the fact that Jacen hasn't done anything with his "Vong Sense" since the end of Destiny's Way. Hopefully the authors will sort out this "Force and Vong thing" soon enough..
 Lynk Former
03-03-2003, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
i think DBZ is stupid.....

What do you think NJO is? :D
 wassup
03-03-2003, 9:47 PM
Jacen is DEFINATLY my least favorite character. I so wanna see his ass die. It's gonna take nothing short of a miracle for me to start liking this lamer.

Inversely my favorite character is Anakin Solo. He's awsome.

Hehe I think you will hate Star by Star....as

Anakin Solo dies

But you really need to read Traitor, Enemy Lines, and Destiny's Way to further appreciate how Jacen has changed. Sure, he sucks in the beginning, but later on he becomes more likeable (unlike Jaina, I swear if she utters anymore of that "goddess" crap someone will die! :mad: )

:D
 boinga1
03-03-2003, 9:47 PM
Jacen is responsible for the deaths of billions. He could have ended the war at the very start but he didnt.

ended? hardly. That was one relatively small vong fleet, no important commanders or anything. ANd that was hardly the start. Anyway...just a thing...your fav character is dad but the "sissy" is still alive...something to thing about.
 wassup
03-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Theres spoiler tags boinga1...use them
 boinga1
03-05-2003, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
ended? hardly. That was one relatively small vong fleet, no important commanders or anything. ANd that was hardly the start. Anyway...just a thing...your fav character is dad but the "sissy" is still alive...something to thing about.

better?
 wassup
03-05-2003, 10:02 PM
:joy:
 swphreak
03-05-2003, 10:03 PM
actually, there arn't buttons for them, you have to type in [*spoiler*]. I didn't know that the first time I posted a spoiler...... Maybe they should add a button for it

Anywho, Jacen is cool now IMO
 SE_Vader_536
03-15-2003, 3:33 PM
although ive only just gotten to know him. i think jacen is not worthy of death. jacen is obviously concerned about the issue of turning to the dark side to save the galaxy as any other normal person is. He is very strong in the force added to all of this. and the fact that he is responsible for many deaths. well consider this he also saved billions or more people...

note: i only know of his acts in "star by star"
 *Darth Vega*
03-16-2003, 8:26 PM
I read Star By Star. Jacen is as big a ***** as ever. As for the events regarding Anakin on the mission to Myrkr. Well, let's just say I am through with the New Jedi Order. I quit.:mad:
 swphreak
03-16-2003, 9:52 PM
then I pity you........ The New Jedi Order is awesome and Jacen r00lz.
 *Darth Vega*
03-17-2003, 3:46 PM
I tried reading beyond Star By Star but I did not enjoy it at all. In fact, it started to seem more like a chore than a fun activity, I didnt really care what happened to anyone and I could always think of other things I'd rather be doing.

The NJO stopped being fun for me. So I quit. If that warrants pity, so be it. However, I feel I am better off now.
 SE_Vader_536
03-17-2003, 6:07 PM
pity your thoughts are so screwed up.

if you dont like star wars dont talk about it...
 darthfergie
03-17-2003, 11:51 PM
You are really missing out. Force Heritic develops Jacen into one of the best characters in NJO. Amazing really.

NJO very good now. The first couple of books are a chore to read with several with pathetic plotlines involving Han Solo trying to come to grips with Chewie's death that are pulled off miserably. (ryns...feh) I just wish they would use the inner circle more effectively...and where is Wedge?!?!?
 swphreak
03-18-2003, 9:19 AM
the first books were focusing on the solos the most. There was no need for wedge. But they brought him in for the rebel stand books.

and I like Ryn :D
 *Darth Vega*
03-18-2003, 1:56 PM
SE_Vader_536, you say my thoughts are screwed up?

Why? Because I don't enjoy the same books as you? Because when I don't like something I avoid it? I mean it's not like I'm allowed to have my own preferences....gee, what was I thinking?

If I don't like Star Wars I shouldnt talk about it....well, I DO like Star Wars. I've been a fan for a long time. I DON'T like the direction the New Jedi Order is going in. So I quit.
 darthfergie
03-23-2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
There was no need for wedge. But they brought him in for the rebel stand books.

Sure, and there was no need in making 50+ new admirals and head commanders either, but after making him an integral character and showing him central to the plot by starting the inner circle etc they just dropped him off the map. WHERE IS HE?!?!? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE INNER CIRCLE?!?!? :o

With so many people writing the series loose ends are flung into the far reaches and are never touched again. It is a large disadvantage that has been displayed several times throughout NJO. The plot line will swing one direction and then in the next book take such a drastic change that it leaves the readers scratching their heads.

and I like Ryn :D

I fear for your soul and have added you to my daily prayers :p
 ronbrothers
03-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Nah, don't kill him. No matter what you think of him, he's become an integral part of the SW EU. Just like Anakin Solo. Just like Chewie was.

That being said, no matter how you feel about Chewie's death, killing off main and long-time supporting characters as a plot device just to sell a book gets repetative. And it cheapens Chewie's death.

I think the basic direction of NJO is bold and interesting. But after killing off a second main character (Anakin), I began to see a pattern. Let's just stick with "major changes" instead of "dramatic deaths".
 darthfergie
03-25-2003, 11:06 PM
BTW, they won't be killing off either twin. It was in a Star Wars Insider interview and they were discussing anakin's death and would any character be safe. The author said that both twins were safe and were VERY central to the loose plotline the group had ironed out.
 *Darth Vega*
03-26-2003, 7:40 PM
What's really sad is that Jacen is responsible for more death than Palpatine. And he is considered a hero.....WTF?
 boinga1
03-27-2003, 10:20 PM
strange...i don't recall jacen killing billions of peeps...
[jedi voice]listen, my friend, do not presume to know of powers you cannot understand. the force is something greater than you, greater than all of us. if action risks turing to the dark side, than inaction is the best course of all.[/jedi voice]
 *Darth Vega*
03-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Didnt you read Agents of Chaos? Jacen could have had the war ended right there. All the bloodshed after that is on his hands for refusing to defend the galaxy.

Jedi are gaurdians of the peace remember, he should have ended the war so peace could be spread throughout the galaxy, instead he chose war.
 SE_Vader_536
03-28-2003, 10:38 PM
look at the time he had conflicting feelings about whether it was worth risking using the dark side so he felt he should be a jedi then. and in star by star he risked many lives yes but many other people in the new republic sacrificed more lives. jacen risked a couple lives to save many more. does that seem reasonable to you?
 *Darth Vega*
03-29-2003, 3:48 PM
No. It doesnt. In Star By Star there was a commando team of Jedi at risk. A far cry from those billions who died because of what he did.
I wonder what the families of all those billions would think if they were told that their loved ones were killed because Jacen was having "conflicted feelings?"
 ronbrothers
03-31-2003, 5:53 AM
I didn't like seeing Anakin killed off. The only reason I believe that he was sent to the chopping block was to prevent the name from being over used since Anakin Skywalker had become a central character in the prequel trilogy as NJO began.

I know that is a shot in the dark, but it creates a deflinate distinction between the OT and prequel fictions for the casual fan.

I think this was unfortunate though. Because when he was originally created, he seemed to be destined to be the most powerful of the Jedi kiddies. This too probably created too much duplication with Anakin Skywalker's Balance of the Force prophecy.
 Shotokan
04-09-2003, 4:54 AM
i agree... with anakins "lambent lightsaber" he could kill a lot more vong. jacen is a lil.... wimp..... dont flame me about that cuz i read traitor an all of that. right now i jes finished destiny's way... but i do agree... jacen did change from bein sucky too.... a lil not so sucky.... o by the way wats after destiny's way?
 Shotokan
04-09-2003, 4:56 AM
remember... jacen didnt allow anakin to fire centerpoint station. insted that friggin thrackan sal solo hadta fire it an wipe out nearly all of the hapan consortium or watever. soo.... in a way it is kinda jacens fault for killing the hapans, an for the war to be continuing....
Page: 1 of 1