Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

duct tape!(code orange)

Page: 1 of 1
 daring dueler
02-19-2003, 10:18 PM
now that it is code orange in the us everyone is scared and they are saying seal your house with duct tape and plastic wrap , and food. is that really gonna work honestly-maybe for a while but the cncept of air comes about. i think this warning is to cover the govt's a$$. they just dont want the blame of letting weapons in so they say cover your house, that way if somthin happens thay can say "we told you to cver your windows!" instead of "ourbad".
 El Sitherino
02-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by daring dueler
seal your house with duct tape and plastic wrap , and food. they want me to seal my house with food:eek: :confused: :confused:

*sticks mr. carrot and mrs. raddish under door* hmmm

*duct tapes door*
im safe from nuclear weapons! yay!:rolleyes:
 Reborn Outcast
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
now that it is code orange in the us everyone is scared and they are saying seal your house with duct tape and plastic wrap , and food. is that really gonna work honestly-maybe for a while but the cncept of air comes about. i think this warning is to cover the govt's a$$. they just dont want the blame of letting weapons in so they say cover your house, that way if somthin happens thay can say "we told you to cver your windows!" instead of "ourbad".

Where are you hearing that we're supposed to cover out doors and windows. Apparently, noone in my state has heard that. :D
 El Sitherino
02-19-2003, 10:32 PM
its been all over the news.
 Reborn Outcast
02-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
its been all over the news.

Yea I know the terror alert has but the duct tape part? Hmm I guess I need to pay more attention to the news. :D
 daring dueler
02-19-2003, 10:38 PM
sry i should have said stock up with 3 days worth of food.i am also aware of its popularity on tv.
 El Sitherino
02-20-2003, 8:23 AM
yeah. suggest you watch something like the today show or what not.
 FunClown
02-20-2003, 10:51 PM
In Australia, our government didn't say to use duct tape.

Instead, they sent out a fridge magnet to every home to ward off terrorists. Now every home is safe!
 daring dueler
02-21-2003, 10:11 AM
why should i watch the today sow?
 Pnut_Man
02-21-2003, 5:07 PM
Obviously the government is just trying to keep the paranoid dumb-ass citizens of the U.S calm and cool. Do you have any idea how crazy some people would get if they found out they had no way to protect themselves if we got nuked..Oh Boy, such idiots...
 FunClown
02-21-2003, 10:37 PM
The extra duct tape sales should give a much needed boost to your economy. :D
 El Sitherino
02-22-2003, 9:55 AM
why should i watch the today sow? to see the crazy hillbillies stock up on all that stuff.
 daring dueler
02-22-2003, 9:40 PM
yeah the red neks are probly sufficating now-also i thing that maybe our govt. wants a certain panic so we will think "hey its really happening, go to war!"
 obi
02-22-2003, 11:01 PM
One more southern stereotype and my head will explode.

Anyway, The government isn't issuing this warning because they don't want blame, they are issuing this warning because some sort of strike could happen at any time, and they are trying to show you ways to protect yourself.

Stupid government showing me how to protect myself...I'll show them! :mad:

BTW- I do not have duct tape or anything on my doors, and no one around this town does.
 Lime-Light
02-23-2003, 1:26 AM
I havent heard of any of this. Maybe you should lay of the drugs or something. The thought of duct taping my house to protect me from boogie men kinda makes me pity this country though, if it is true. I'm just glad I'm not so ignorant as most americans tend to be...
 Ratmjedi
02-23-2003, 4:54 PM
I have heard about this but it isn't to protect against a Nuclear attack. It's suppose to help if there is a biological attack on a use city. There was a terrorist attack that we found out about a while back but the terrorist's never actually went through with it for some reason. It also just duct tape that you should use. You are suppoe to create a nice seal so that your house doesn't have a lot of leaks and so that gas doesnt seep in from everywhere. It would provide more protection instead of just doing nothing.

It also isn't as dumb as it sounds but it looks like there are a bunch of people who don't get the idea and just make fun of it like in here. It's better than nothing you know. It's like the government telling you to board up your windows before a hurricane but that is a dumb idea too. :rolleyes:

:lsduel: :duel:
 munik
02-23-2003, 8:37 PM
Yeah, Ratmjedi is right. It's an attempt at protection from a gas attack. You should seal your house up tight only in the event of a gas attack. Not all the time. That would be ludicrous. It's not a bad idea to have duct tape and plastic handy anyways, there might be some emergency events other then terrorist attack that would require sealing up your home. Being downwind of a chlorine gas cloud comes to mind. Like if a transport truck carrying chlorine has an accident. So, it's not like some stupid idea. It's a practical idea that has been around for ages.

Also like Rat said, doing something is better then doing nothing. When I was in the usmc, they taught us to lay in a ditch in case of nuclear attack. If no better shelter was available. How many people here think that laying in a ditch will protect you from a nuclear explosion? Maybe if you were far enough away from ground zero. But hey, some sort of shelter is better then no shelter.
 El Sitherino
02-23-2003, 8:46 PM
id rather get a plastic bubble and a gas mask.
 Arkum
02-25-2003, 12:09 AM
yeah, i heard of this too. if a nuke does drop, u r gonna need food cause u CANT go outside in the radiation. the duct tpae part sounded kinda stupid to me, but i dont really care.
 El Sitherino
02-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
get a plastic bubble and a gas mask. :D thats my advice.

Sure is, but no need to repeat it ;) -C'jais
 Lime-Light
02-25-2003, 3:01 PM
All of it is pure bull**** anyway, feeding the media hype is the governments tool for instiling fear and support for a war.
 SkinWalker
02-25-2003, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
One more southern stereotype and my head will explode.

Be sure to cover the velvet art picture of Elvis.... wouldn't want to diss the King ;)

j/k - Couldn't resist :p
 C'jais
02-25-2003, 4:30 PM
In general, it's nice knowing what to do if such "what if" cases suddenly happened.

But really, the probability of some of those things happening (nuclear attack in your back yard) is so ridiculously low that it's just a waste of time on the government's side, and only helps install a half-true sense of security.

Yup, it's nice to know some basic survival skills such as covering your house with duct tape in the case of a chemical attack - but don't overdo it, for Christ's sake. People are only going to get either paranoid beyond reasonable sense, or patriotic likewise.

My 0.02$
 munik
02-25-2003, 6:39 PM
Duct tape and plastic. The main thing is plastic. The duct tape is just to seal the edges.
 RpTheHotrod
02-27-2003, 11:49 AM
I rarely watch TV, someone fill me in or give me a news link.
 daring dueler
02-27-2003, 3:58 PM
well i think you shoiuld know the us is in code orange fro terror, the duct tape is because they are saying to cover your windows and doors with that and polastic.
 RpTheHotrod
02-27-2003, 11:27 PM
It's now code yellow
 obi
02-28-2003, 12:43 AM
What is code yellow? Is that like a medium-high alert?

:confused:
 Pnut_Man
02-28-2003, 7:01 AM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
What is code yellow? Is that like a medium-high alert?

:confused:

That's grand :D But seriously, I have no idea what it is and I think this Orange code situation is pointless..
 Kain
02-28-2003, 10:34 PM
go here for the color chart BS (http://ready.gov)

ready.gov...really now...
 Nitro
03-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Go into Wal-Mart, get on the PA, and start screaming "Code Black!" If I'm not mistaken, it's a bomb threat. Fun for all invited!
 Ratmjedi
03-04-2003, 2:54 AM
I'd just love to do that and get hauled away by the cops in 5 minutes.

I find the whole color chart stupid. So let's annouce to the terrorists that we are on yellow alert so that they can know that things will be easier for them if they attempt something. If we are going to have something like that I don't think that is should be anounced to the general public. Is it suppose to tell them that they don't have to be paranoid for a little bit before it goes back up to orange or red?

It should be something that only government agencies know so that they can protect us without leaking information that may prove usefull.

:lsduel: :duel:
Page: 1 of 1