Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Text based game discussion.

Page: 1 of 1
 Deft Aklin
02-18-2003, 4:55 PM
Well, I thought it might be nice to have a thread to discuss MUSHing, MUXing, MUDing and other text based RP games. So here it is, have at it.
 Thew Rydur
02-18-2003, 5:13 PM
I've never really done text-based RPG's (besides on the forums). How could I get involved?
 Deft Aklin
02-18-2003, 5:27 PM
Thew,
This is probably the absolute best SW MUSH out there. I am Caleb Babcox there, just so you know. If you have any questions, or run into any problems shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll help you out.

Here is the Generic Message. ;P

MUSHing is a very old fashioned form of text based roleplaying. The basic concept is to focus on the story and the RP rather than the bloodshed and the action. It is far slower than FPS, but can be far more enthralling.

First of all, go to this site and download the MUSHclient, I assure you it's safe.

http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/mushclient.htm)

It is shareware, so it has one of those stupid delays on start up. After you get it installed, click the New World icon and enter these entries in the appropriate fields:

Name: SW:ANT
TCP/IP: starwars.pennmush.org
Port: 9999

From there it should walk you through it. Make sure to very carefully read the instructions, as they can be quite confusing. It is a persistent world and I remember that I thought it was far too fast when I first got started, but it just seems to go in slow motion now. As soon as you learn all of the commands it gets much easier. Anyway here is some stuff to help you.

=n (type this command to speak on the newbie channel. We all start here) example:
=n Can someone help me please?

p <name>=message (this command allows you to page a specific user) example:
p caleb=Hey kid, I really need some help here.

who (this command gives you a list of all players online)

+3who (is a cleaner version of the who command giving three columns instead of one long one)

+staff (lists all staff and tells you when they were last on and if they are on now.)

Hopefully that should be enough to get you started. Remember when creating your character that you should go as in depth as possible, they can deny you. Just so you know. Also, it can take up to 48 hours to get approved.
 Brekken Dakar
02-18-2003, 7:16 PM
The only MUD I played was called Federation. It had a simular theme and subject as SWG.

The great thing about MUDs and other text-based RPGs is that, like Sidious said, people tend focus on the roll-playing aspect of the game. I am not sure about other text-based games, but in Federation there was a sense of community that I have yet to find in any mmorpg.

I think that SWG is taking a lot of right steps on the path to building a tight roll-playing community. I believe it will also help that the Star Wars Universe is so well known by the general public, which will allow players to get deeper into the game more quickly than in any other MMORPG.

Thoughts/Disagreements?
 Kiedo
02-18-2003, 8:00 PM
Yeah, I agree.

I think SWG is paving a way for new, more advanced RPGing than ever before.

Oh, if this doesn't make sense, be aware that I'm half-asleep.
 setsuko
02-18-2003, 8:06 PM
I used to play a Call of Cthulhu MUD at school, but I don't remember the name. And my friends played Kingdoms (?) like, 20 hours a day. Me, I never really grasped text based adventures, like Zork and such. I think it is mostly because I'm so bad at navigating, that I need graphics to not get lost! :D
 Thrackan Solo
02-18-2003, 8:17 PM
Hey darth is it free?
 Deft Aklin
02-18-2003, 8:19 PM
It took me awhile to get used to it as well. As soon as I figured out that I could 'look' at the room again I was fine from then out though. It really did help that I found a MUSHClient that had a scroll bar. When I first started out I was using generic TelNet.

The thing I hate about Fed is that they charge for it. Most MUSHes and MUXes are free.

Anyway, I can only hope that a large amount of MUXers and MUShers will be attracted to SWG to improve the RP potential of the game even more. I find that I am outdated when it comes to that. I still prefer MUSHing to most games. IE. NeverWinterNights. The RP aspect is FAR more important to me than the 'pretty pictures'.
 setsuko
02-18-2003, 8:47 PM
Yeah, NWN was pretty shoddy when it came to roleplaying. That's true. Though, I must say that I get my RP needs fulfilled with an EVEN older form of RPing, that of the sacred arts of the Pen and Paper. :)
 Deft Aklin
02-18-2003, 8:49 PM
I miss the old days when I could get together with my friends and RP for an entire weekend. Well, I have children now......
 Jedi Apprentice
02-18-2003, 11:58 PM
I tried to do some LOTR muds not long ago but they either went to fast or slow or the community was made up of around 2 people.
 Deft Aklin
02-19-2003, 9:57 AM
Hey darth is it free?
Yes Thracken, it is free. :D
Makes it all the better.

I tried to do some LOTR muds not long ago but they either went to fast or slow or the community was made up of around 2 people.
That's the way most text based games are JA. If there is one good one out there, everyone will flock to it. Once you learn to control the channels it normally slows down a bit.
For Example:
In a MUSH the Public channel is normally insanely obnoxious, so here are a few things to ditch it:

@chan/gag public (You will no longer hear messages on this channel, but are still on it technically)

@chan/off public (This will turn the sucker off so you don't have to worry about it again)

After a few months participating on a MUSH, I found that I could turn just about every channel on and it wasn't too much. You gradually learn how to deal with the speed.

As far as slow MUSHes are concerned, they are normally that way for a reason. Either the coding sucks or the RP does. Lacking either of those, it's not worth your time anyway. I have found that the harder and longer it takes for you to get into a MUSH, the better it is usually. I won't even try a MUSH that just let's me start using my character right away anymore. These MUSHes are normally far too desperate for players and not concerned with the quality of the aforementioned members.
 Thrackan Solo
02-19-2003, 5:08 PM
Hey man thanks
 Deft Aklin
02-19-2003, 5:14 PM
BTW Thrackan, they'll never let you use that name. Real characters are considered FCs (Feature Characters), you may only play one if it is posted and applied for. Namely, you have to beat out twenty other people that are in it just for the added stat points. ;) Force sensitive characters also fall under the FC category and there are only so many at any given time. Eight I believe. Just thought you might like to know that. If you don't use an original name they will deny you automatically, so I thought I'd save you the wasted effort.
 swphreak
02-19-2003, 5:19 PM
ok, can yopu clarify what this "text rping" is or whatever? Is it RPing with jest text/words, or are there graphics and stuff like a video game?
 Thrackan Solo
02-19-2003, 5:36 PM
Hey Whats the Port Number for the SW:Ant
Is the password for my character 9999 or is that the port number.
Ahh! it wont connect says somethin about Unable to connect to SW: ANT code = 10061 ( Connection Refused)
HELP:crycomp:
 Deft Aklin
02-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Sorry Thrackan, I wrote that intro a long time ago when I was very very tired. I guess I just never noticed, and no one ever corrected me. ;P

Name: SW:ANT
TCP/IP: starwars.pennmush.org
Port: 9999

I'll also edit the instructions above.
Page: 1 of 1