Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Yoda's lack of vision.

Page: 1 of 1
 Purple_Tentacle
02-12-2003, 1:41 AM
why didn't yoda say " hey luke the emperor can shoot some nasty lightning from his fingertips so, like, be careful n stuff " or even give him some pointers on avoiding it.

when it came time to kick the emperors ass Luke thought that Palpatine was defenceless, he even threw his saber away, he was totally unprepared. nice work yoda, i'm sure all that ballancing rocks business came in handy, Not.

luke was never 'calm' or 'at peace', he was a pissed off little padawan and he nearly got himself killed, thanks to yoda.

:)
 nova_wolf
02-12-2003, 4:44 AM
Reasons why:

Artictic License

Atmosphere

Suspense

Shock

Leaving Luke to figure this stuff out himself

If he was aware, he would have nailed both him and Vader, and so Anankin Skywalker would not have fulfilled the prophesy and brought balance to the Force

It looked SWEET

Emperor would have looked a ***** if he got easily taken out by whipper snapper who was a few mitochondria sort of being a Jedi Knight

Better ending

More emotion

Do I REALLY have to go on...

Come on! It was one of the best sequences in the entire OT, and your dissing it...

I think your a PT fan aren't you...
 Purple_Tentacle
02-12-2003, 7:25 AM
you are saying yoda witheld important information inorder to create MORE danger for luke ?

:) yes, i do understand this is a movie and you need tense action scenes,

i'm just saying that luke was totally unprepared to fight the emperor, he was set to fight vader...maybe yoda knew that without vader the emperor would eventually die and with him the Sith. SO he sent in luke as an assassin to kill vader, and it was a suicide mission. but then vader pipes up and saves the day.

DID yoda know that Anakin would kill the emperor ? i don't think so IMO. yoda's goal was to take vader out.
 Thew Rydur
02-12-2003, 4:47 PM
What if Yoda knew exactly what would happen and needed Luke to underestimate the Emperor, so Vader could save his son, redeem himself, and become Anakin once again?
 Wraith 8
02-12-2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by Thew Rydur
What if Yoda knew exactly what would happen and needed Luke to underestimate the Emperor, so Vader could save his son, redeem himself, and become Anakin once again? thats an interesting view of it :D

but remember that this guy with an unusual power of teh force was supposed to bring balance to the force.. maybe Yoda knew that too be anakin.
 Carbon_sleeper
02-14-2003, 9:30 PM
ok, here's my Yoda question. When Luke ran off to save han and leia on Bespin, why didn't Yoda go to at least help. Things would've been very different. Together, maybe they could've stopped vader. I mean, it's not like Yoda was thinking, "Have to stay alive I do, to complete the boy's training." He didn't complete the training anyway. Personally, I think Yoda and Ben were both just bitter. They wanted nothing more than revenge.
For example (keep in mind I'm paraphrasing, not quoting):
Ben's Ghost: He's evil, Luke. Kill him.

Luke: But there IS good in him.

Ben: Kill him.

Luke: He's my father.

Ben: Kill him.

Luke: But I--

Ben: Blast, boy, just Kill the overgrown mechanical freak! He made me and yoda look like total goons! Jeeeeeze, boy!

Luke: uhhhhhhh......

ok, maybe I don't have the EXACT words right, but that's what I heard. ;)
 Rogue15
02-14-2003, 9:56 PM
yoda warned him!!!!

"do not underestimate the emperor"
 Hekx
02-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Yoda only used the absorb in EPII, which is meant to be before the events in ROTJ, but was filmed afterwards.

Luke wasn't a fully trained Jedi in ROTJ, only when he peacefully withdrew his weapon and stood for what he believed in, did he give himself to the lightside.

If he had absorbed the shots, and eliminated the Emperor, he may have been overcome withanger and become 'Dark Lord Emperor Luke' :D

Yoda was too stubborn and selfish to share his tricks of the trade with Luke. ;)
 Pedro The Hutt
02-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Yoda would have shared them if Luke had stayed to complete his training.a
And both Obi-Wan and Yoda wanting revenge is sort of wrong... concidering Jedi are supposed to never even think of such things.
Yoda didn't go along to Bespin simply because he's now a crippled form of what he was back in Episode II, also he wanted Luke to stay after all... I can't really imagine him going "Go along with you I will" after all that he tried and said to make him stay. And last but not least... isn't an X-Wing designed to carry just one person?
 Wraith 8
02-25-2003, 8:05 AM
Originally posted by Carbon_sleeper
ok, here's my Yoda question. When Luke ran off to save han and leia on Bespin, why didn't Yoda go to at least help. Things would've been very different. Together, maybe they could've stopped vader. I mean, it's not like Yoda was thinking, "Have to stay alive I do, to complete the boy's training." He didn't complete the training anyway. well you must remember that Yoda was nearing his death he must have known this ... and thats why he wished to finish the training.
 Luuke_Skywalker
02-25-2003, 4:55 PM
ok, here's my Yoda question. When Luke ran off to save han and leia on Bespin, why didn't Yoda go to at least help.

well lets see for one thing luke left in a ONE person fighter (T-65 X-Wing) so i don't think there would have been any room for yoda save they booted r2 outta his socket and i don't think yoda could breath in vaccuum even with the force behind him so there is why yoda didn't go with him
 dark jedi 8
02-25-2003, 8:38 PM
but luke could have stuffed him into the cargo hold under the ship.:)
 Purple_Tentacle
02-26-2003, 3:29 AM
thats what obi wan was gunna do with jango on kamino, stuff him in the cargo hold.

heh
 Pedro The Hutt
02-26-2003, 9:11 AM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
but luke could have stuffed him into the cargo hold under the ship.:)
And since when is there oxygen in a small cargo container designed for only stuffing into it the very essentials to survive? O_o
 dark jedi 8
02-26-2003, 6:26 PM
he coulda had an oxygen tank or breath mask in there in case he landed on a world without oxygen on it, so yoda could have used it. if he had one, which he should have.
 Luuke_Skywalker
02-26-2003, 9:06 PM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
he coulda had an oxygen tank or breath mask in there in case he landed on a world without oxygen on it, so yoda could have used it. if he had one, which he should have.

and what if the oxygen ran out?
 Rogue15
02-27-2003, 12:50 AM
he would've froze to death. 'space is cold'
 Purple_Tentacle
02-27-2003, 2:39 AM
yoda could just sit on his lap.

(side thought "press you tongue to mine, yeeeeeeess") :p
 Pedro The Hutt
02-27-2003, 5:38 AM
And how the heck could Luke see where he was flying then? O_o All he'd see is the green back of a head.
 Purple_Tentacle
02-27-2003, 6:06 AM
Your eyes can decieve you, don't trust them.
 Pedro The Hutt
02-27-2003, 9:44 AM
Wouldn't stop it from being one awkward flight >_>
 Purple_Tentacle
02-27-2003, 10:26 AM
just switch it to autopilot :D
 Pedro The Hutt
02-27-2003, 11:53 AM
And just why would Yoda even want to go along after trying everything to make him stay? (perhaps he should've just force pulled him from the ladder onto the ground just to show what a fully trained Jedi can do O_o)
 adillon
02-27-2003, 12:39 PM
When Luke ran off to save han and leia on Bespin, why didn't Yoda go to at least help.
because he was a puppet ...

:p
 Jo
02-27-2003, 4:56 PM
well, IMO, yoda didnt tell him S*** because luke was a giddy,stubborn, anxious farmboy who thought a lightsaber was cool, so if he knew how do do all this, he would have just been having fun, and the darkside would have overcome him to the point of no return. messing with the emporer and killing him slowly would have been fun and evil all at once..
 LiMP RABBiT
02-28-2003, 6:09 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
yoda warned him!!!!

"do not underestimate the emperor" good warning. Imagine if america had said "do not underestimate a nuke" to Hiroshima. "Oh. Maybe we should give in if we're underestimating it" i dont think. Something along the lines of "this will vapourise an entire city" might be more persuasive. My point is that if Yoda had been more specific Luke would have been prepared.
 TK-99
03-09-2003, 10:33 PM
or maybe yoda wanted to see if luke was worthy of being a jedi knight
 platypus202
03-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Yoda is tottally against the emporer and if he would of known this stuff he would of told Luke. He didn't just say 'Hey Luke, you need to learn a lesson', he was giving enough info as possible.
 BCanr2d2
03-19-2003, 6:44 AM
So, that Yoda said "Hard to see the future, clouded it is" or words to that effect in TESB happen to mean anything? He also stated something about the future being clouded by emotion, that simple changes in emotion can easily change what will happen into the future....

We do not know when exactly Yoda leaves and hides, with Obi-Wan, we don't know what Vader and the Emperor have done when they leave. He knows that the Emperor is a Sith master, but by the time the Jedi Purge had been completed, Yoda would just run, trying to survive.
Remember that little movie "Attack of the Clones" where Yoda mentions that the presence of the Sith had clouded their ability to see the future clearly.

Just look at the movie a little closer, and you will get some of the answers, or perhaps it is looking a little less at it, and you will see most of what they have to say......
Page: 1 of 1