Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

star wars trilogy dvd's

Page: 2 of 2
 rogue 99
04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
i agree, i think the special editions are awesome, but it would be nice if there was a choice that you could be either the special or the original editions on dvd, and not just one...or maybe(and this would never happen due to space, and the more on the dvd the lower the quality) they could put both on the dvd and you could chose which one you would like to view at the time
 CurryKing
05-01-2003, 6:45 AM
Apparently GL doesn't like the original films and only the SE ones are his vision of Star Wars. So the chances of the originals being released? Bad to None :(
 Random
05-01-2003, 9:00 AM
CurryKing, exactly. Lucas flat out stated that the SE were what he wanted SW to be. He's pretty much washed his hands of the orriginal releases. SO, if you're intersted at all in seeing the classic version, Han not being a poser and shooting first, too bad, that's not what George really meant. You'll just have to buy the foriegn dvd's.

I do like some of the added scenes. The wompa scenes were good. I wish they would have put in the Hoth base scene where the Stormtroopers walked into the holding cells with wompas in them. The ANH Jabba scene sucked. Jabba looked fake, Han popped though him, the tail thing was cleaver, but the whole thing just jerked me out of the story. The effects on the ships were good. The sarlacc was okay, it did look more threatening than a hole in the sand. I'm not a big fan of musical numbers and could have done without the new one in Jabba's palace. They should have fixed some of the poor animation with the lightsabers, but didn't. They should have fixed some of the lame explosions of small ships, but didn't. Its a mixed bag.

I see George's "Final vision of the films" as more of an experiement to see if he could technically and economically make the prequals, considering all the CG stuff he had planned. I want the classic version on dvd, and he's not going to stop me!
 Andy867
05-01-2003, 9:57 AM
From my understanding from a highly reliable source, George Lucas is going to wait until after Episode 3, that way he can go back through even the Special Editon versions and add things he wanted to be a part of the Original Trilogy but couldn't until recently. Then he will release the DVD's in 2 Box Sets, then with a special 6-pack as well. But there is no way for me to prove or disprove this information.
 CurryKing
05-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Andy867, sounds highly likely to me. He also said to be waiting for technology to improve so he can completely redo the CT using all CGI, with the Luke, Han, Leia etc looking completely different to Hammil, Ford n Fisher. We will have to wait and see.
 Random
05-01-2003, 8:44 PM
Originally posted by CurryKing
Andy867, sounds highly likely to me. He also said to be waiting for technology to improve so he can completely redo the CT using all CGI, with the Luke, Han, Leia etc looking completely different to Hammil, Ford n Fisher. We will have to wait and see.

Why in the world would he do that? He owns the character likeness.
 Andy867
05-02-2003, 12:23 AM
From my understanding, George Lucas is looking more to just do CGI enhancements to scenes like with what he did in the S.E. with the additional scenes to Mos Eisley and Bespin City. I heard he might even help touch up the battle scenes with like TESB and ROTJ, and touch up digitally for scenes like where Luke and Vader are going at it both times, and just stuff like that.
 CurryKing
05-02-2003, 6:44 AM
Originally posted by Random
Why in the world would he do that? He owns the character likeness.

I don't know why, something to do with not having to pay the actors any money if he dint use their voices etc. I don't know how true this rumour is but apparently he isn't expecting the technology to be good enough for another 15 years or so. I can't remember where i read this, the author might just have been saying it to make people like me look stupid!! :D
 Random
05-02-2003, 9:00 AM
CurryKing. I'm no lawyer so I'm probably wrong, but... I thought in movies, the owner has all the rights to the characters. If Lucas was to make a movie with nothing but CGI characters, and they looked and sounded just like the ones from a previous movie (Luke and the gang), he's in his right to do that. He wouldn't have to pay the actors anything. He owns the characters, their lickness, their voices, the way they walk, and the catch phrases they use, everything. To the law, the character and the actor are two different people, that's Han Solo on the screen, not Harrison Ford playing Han Solo.

I remember this coming up when some of the video games were made. Mark Hammil didn't make any money when Luke Skywalker was a character in a game. It wasn't Mark playing Luke, it was just the Luke character. The same thing happend when the Lord of the Rings game came out. It was based on the characters and story of the books, not the movies. I assume to save some big bucks in licensing.

But I still can't fathom why he'd want to redo all the acting. I'm betting your source is throwing around some loose-talk to stir up some rumers.
 Purple_Tentacle
05-02-2003, 11:15 AM
if lucas made a movie with a digital Harrison Ford it would be ok unless Harrison Ford can show that this movie has damaged him in some way. for example he can get sued if he makes a movie where Han Solo and a Dog get it on. its called moral rights.
 Random
05-02-2003, 8:39 PM
You may be right, but I see it differently. Its not a digital Harrison Ford, its a digital Han Solo. One is the actor, the other is Lucas's character. It know it seems weird, but I'm pretty sure they're two different things according to copyright law.
 dark jedi 8
05-03-2003, 7:03 PM
yeah, that sounds right.:) i agree so far with what everyone has said.
 VA_Rebel_Spies
05-05-2003, 3:17 AM
Star Wars the classic Trilogy is due out on DVD when Episode is out on DVD.

Trust me I know, I visit about 10 different star wars websites each night.

:biggs:
 Random
05-05-2003, 8:55 AM
Originally posted by VA_Rebel_Spies
Star Wars the Special Edition Trilogy is due out on DVD when Episode is out on DVD.

Trust me I know, I visit about 10 different star wars websites each night.

:biggs:

Fixed
 Random
05-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Well I finaly got my non-SE trilogy dvd's from Canada. They are copies of the Laser Disc version that came out a while back. They're Region 1 encoded so they will play on any North American player. The disc's have printed lables that were made on a crappy printer but that's the only problem. The menus on each disc arn't consistant but they all work to start the movie. One has chapters, one has "play movie", and one has extra features listed. The cases look almost professional. They are formatted exactly like the EP1&2 cases and almost match them in color when you line them all up.

The quality is about the best you can get from non-professional discs. They look about as good as a fresh never-played vcr tape. Not as good as the digital prequal dvds, but it should never degrade after countless viewings. No always-on captions. Widescreen. Lets see, what else...Han shoots frist.

Overall I'm very sastified. So, if you're intersted in getting the non-SE trilogy on dvd, just besure you ask all the important questions before you bid on anything.
 BCanr2d2
06-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Let's clear up the CGI issue, the actors own their own likeness, so if Lucas wanted to use characters than in any way looked like Hamill, Ford, Fisher, et al, then he would need their permission to do so. Whilst characters such as Chewbacca, R2, C3PO and Vader do not have any human face to them, then he is fine to recreate them in CGI.

As for the DVD issue, remember the press that came with the SE release to the cinema, or at least what is on the tapes, that they only saved the SE versions after remastering the original tapes that were almost beyond repair. Explain to me where they would find the master tape to magically transfer the original movies to DVD??????????????

I assume that it's either 6 months after the release of Episode 3 for all movies on DVD (Doubtful), or we'd wait until October 2007, for a special 30th Anniversary release of all 6 on DVD. That would give them 2 1/2 years to work on getting everything right for the DVD's. I assume he has some skeleton staff working at doing some work on them now, but GL is a hands on person when it comes to the DVD process for his movies...(He won't have any time until after Episode 3 is out)
 Andy867
06-09-2003, 3:43 PM
Actually, no one would even need a VHS tape to transfer it to DVD. If say someone had the SE on LaserDisc, they could digitally transfer it with some equipment and then end up with it in DVD read-able format. Hence the reason for people able to get the SE on DVD (just not officially licensed)
 Random
06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
BCanr2d2, I'm not sure what you mean by "saving the SE version". The SE version wasn't created until after they remastered the old film. Part of the SE project was the restore the old film that was looking pretty bad. All of the restoring they did to the classic trilogy should still be in a computer at ILM. Then they added all the content that's seen in the SE version. There's absoultly no technical reason that the non-SE version couldn't be copied to dvd just as the SE version is going to be after ep3. Lucas just doesn't want to.

The Special Edition never made it to laser disc as far as I know, so any SE dvd's you find on ebay come from vhs tapes. No thanks. If you look hard enough you can find the classic trilogy on dvd copied from the laser discs (not the vhs tapes) that came out before the SE project began.

I plan to buy the SE dvd's when they comeout too. I like both versions for different reasons. My only problem is that I have to get a bootleg version of one because Lucas apparently doesn't like money now as much as he did when he signed the merchandising deals for EP1 and is only creating the other version. Too bad for him for not making them avalable.
 OmegaNothing
06-18-2003, 9:55 AM
Can anyone confirm the release date of the SE dvd's. The last I heard was that GL said that he was never going to release any versions of ep IV - VI on DVD, but then again look what happened with episode I, I had to buy it on VHS because they announced that no Star Wars movie would be released on DVD, a year later he changed his mind and ep I was released on DVD . . . .
 Random
06-18-2003, 10:04 AM
A date? No, nobody knows officially when, all the dates you hear on the net are assumptions. But he has said in interviews that he is going to release the SE trilogy at some point. Even Indiana Jones is coming out on dvd, so don' t worry about getting them ... eventually.
Page: 2 of 2