Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Deathmatch: Dogfight

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
02-03-2003, 4:15 PM
Sorry all, I tried to post this yesterday, but couldn't log onto this site... :confused:

Well, anyways, here is the new Deathmatch. This time it involves a bit more thinking IMO. Read your options carefully, because unlike the last two, opponents are armed differently...

As you can see, I put Luke at a bit of a disadvantage. The vehicles are fighting over Tatooine's Dune Sea, so Luke can get some air for evasion...

*** I still think Luke would win. Sure, Wedge and Vader are in starfighters and would easily be able to take out the Falcon and Slave 1 if they worked together for a bit. Then Luke could use the Dunes to gain some altitude and easily take out Wedge (well, not easy to a non-Skywalker...) and then it'd be Luke vs Vader. The X1 would easily spin outta control with a grazing blow from Luke, leaving Luke a few seconds to finish the job...
 Breton
02-03-2003, 5:06 PM
Slave 1.

It is the most advanced and powerful of those ships, and the Fetts are great pilots.
 Tie Guy
02-03-2003, 5:35 PM
Well, as much as i think Vader would win, i'm going with Wedge. he is the best pilot of his generation, period. Vader and Luke and Han and Chewie aren't half the pilots Wedge is. But Vader's mastery of the Force might give him an edge despite his inferior skills.

Luke, especially in a snowspeeder, wouldn't be a match for Wedge in an X-wing. I'm not sure what the heck you are tlaking about with the whole mountain thing, Wedge would tear anyone in an airspeeder to shreds. And do you know how long it would take for the T-47's light blaster cannons to take down an X-wing's shields? Luke in an X-wing might be more of a match, but not really.
 Katarn07
02-03-2003, 8:54 PM
Well, you bring up good points, but with my way of thinking, Luke would win. Snowspeeders are very manuverable and I think he could evade any attacks until Vader is last one left (I think Vader and Wedge would be the last guys to take on one another, Vader would win). And the shielding of an X1 doesn't help it stay in a straight path.....

(If you have played Rouge Squadron, you know how dunes and mountains assist you in snowspeeder flight...)
 Pnut_Man
02-03-2003, 9:06 PM
I'm not that sure if the snowspeeder has great shielding capabilities, and I always thought Vader was a better pilot than Luke (he only lost in ep4 due to overconfidence and Han Solo).
Vader would win and then he'd run back to Emperor Palpatine for a cookiee.
 Reborn Outcast
02-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Ah Slave I would win but everyone else would duke it out on the ground wit their weapons like lightsabers and guns after they crashed. :D
 Rogue15
02-03-2003, 10:54 PM
falcon beat vader, slave 1 wasn't picked up on falcon's sensors, so...

but in a 1 on 1....Vader, definetely. but Jango has an edge, w/those charges and missiles, so he'd probably win in the end, but not w/o losing his ship.
 boinga1
02-03-2003, 11:02 PM
i'm the first to vote Flacon? Hello! it's at faster than an x-wing (in realspace and hyperspace). i think it could take slave because slave is only as fast as a y-wing and not as manueverable, plus falcon had rotating turrets. vader might have a chance, but he can only take a few hits, and the flacon can shoot him from anywhere cuz of the guns. and x-wing has the same firepower and is slower than the x-1, so even if wedge is a little better than solo, he'd be flame. luke wouldn't have a chance. airspeeders are too weakly protected. Of course, in reality, in a real dogfight, this wouldn't be so nice3 and neat, and probably the luckiest would live. we all know han solo is the luckiest man in the galaxy!
 Lynk Former
02-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Wedge is the man, no doubt.
 Mex
02-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I think that the Slave 1 would win because of its advanced weapons and great pilots.
 adillon
02-04-2003, 12:21 PM
i had to go with the falcon. han is one of the best (if not the best) pilots in the star wars universe. afterall, he did the kessel run in under 12 parsecs (whatever THAT means). add to that the fact that chewie is an amazing co-pilot, what with all his re-routing of power to the shields and laser cannons. and remember, too, that the falcon did take vader off luke's tail on the bombing run on the deathstar.
 Wraith 8
02-04-2003, 1:34 PM
well in those ships... wedge ot luke would win... ill go with wedge. but if you put them all to gether in the same crafts... i think its tie between luke and vader.
 Clemme w/Stick
02-04-2003, 3:01 PM
Jango Fett would win that one easily....:D! I can only think of one way he could loose, and that would be if the others teamed up against him :D!

-Clemme
 Tie Guy
02-04-2003, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Clemme w/Stick
Jango Fett would win that one easily....:D! I can only think of one way he could loose, and that would be if the others teamed up against him :D!

Wait, or if Wedge got on his tail and blasted him into oblivion. ;)

Oh, and the Falcon is not as fast as an X-wing, it's only a little faster than a y-wing, which is great for a freighter. A parsec is a measure of distance, not speed or time. Saying he made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs meant that he flew closer to the Maw cluster than anyone else dared, therefore cutting off distance from the run. and he only did it because he was being chase by Imperial patrol ship.
 Katarn07
02-04-2003, 4:04 PM
Sure, Han's a great pilot, but the Falcon can't outgun a starfighter. Not manuverable enough...

I think he and Jango would be obliterated!

And then Wedge and Vader would be left to fight with Luke. Think about it for a bit. If you were Vader, would you waste your time on a snowspeeder when Wedge could shoot you down? No, I wouldn't. I'd deal with the threat and work my way down to less immediate threats (Luke).

I think Wedge would lose just because it is Vader. I mean, Vader is one of the best pilots in the galaxy, as we saw in AotC and the way Obi talks of him.

But Luke, at least in the EU, is alot better of a pilot and a Jedi Master and could anticipate a Sith Apprentices moves easily... But if you don't like EU, Luke would be destroyed easily...
 Clemme w/Stick
02-04-2003, 4:52 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy

Oh, and the Falcon is not as fast as an X-wing, it's only a little faster than a y-wing, which is great for a freighter.

Hmm, I'm gonna disagree with you there Tie. Heres whats said about the Falcon in RotJ.

*In the hangar aboard Home One*

Han: I mean it. Take her. You need all the help you can get, shes the fastest ship in the fleet.

Lando: Allright, allright. I know what she means to you. She, she wont get a scratch.

Han: I got your word. Not a scratch?

Lando: Would you get going you old pirate.

*Han leaves Lando and goes aboard Shuttle Tydirium*

There, the Falcon IS faster than the X-Wing and the Y-Wing. I think that clears up the speed questions of the Falcon.

I still think that Jango would winn the Dog fight!

-Clemme
 JediNyt
02-04-2003, 5:17 PM
Vader would dominate. He is after all the best star pilot in the galaxy and the TIE Advanced X-1 is a much better starfighter than any of the other ships. Faster, more manuverable, good shields and they recharge fast, I think this poll should have been done with more equal ships. If Luke were in an A-Wing then hed have a good chance against Vader. A TIE Advanced can literally fly circles around an X-Wing not even to mention a Firespray(Slave 1) or a YT-1300(Falcon) regardless of how modified they are. Sure the Falcon has faster engines but it cant manuever anywhere near a starfighter. It escaped the TIEs in Ep5 only because of the asteroids and Han could dodge them better than the undertrained TIE pilots.
 Katarn07
02-04-2003, 5:47 PM
OK, my theory about Luke may be farfetched, but I really would think Vaeder'd be dominating, not Jango....
 Tie Guy
02-04-2003, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Clemme w/Stick
Hmm, I'm gonna disagree with you there Tie. Heres whats said about the Falcon in RotJ.

There, the Falcon IS faster than the X-Wing and the Y-Wing. I think that clears up the speed questions of the Falcon.

I still think that Jango would winn the Dog fight!

-Clemme

It has a lot faster hyperdrives, that's true. But I wouldn't doubt Han was speaking with a little hyperbole about his cherished ship.

But if it was really so fast, why didn't he just point the nose forward and outrun the TIE Fighters and SD that were chasing him on several occasions?

Really, according to the movies the Y-Wing could be just as fast as an X-Wing or A-Wing. It doesn't say. Our only source of knowledge on this comes from EU, and it specifically states that X-Wings are faster than the Falcon.

And yeah, i'm suprised that so many people are voting for Jango. He's a bounty hunter, not a seasoned dogfighter like the other ones.
 Katarn07
02-04-2003, 7:15 PM
I guess they are just going by his ship.........
 Lynk Former
02-05-2003, 12:27 AM
I've said it before in Aresen and I'll say it again here...

"We Rogues gotta stick together dammit!!"

Therefore Wedge will waste y'all
 JediNyt
02-05-2003, 3:59 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Our only source of knowledge on this comes from EU, and it specifically states that X-Wings are faster than the Falcon. Thats true. If you just take only the movies into account then there is little that says what ship is technically better than another. Not many specifics and thats ok cause the movies dont really need em. So it all is left to EU. Thats what EU is for. If you ask, "What ship has more firepower? A Y-Wing or a B-Wing?" and you ignore EU then you will have no answer. If you acknowledge EU more specifically the Essential Guide to Ships and Vehicles or the X-Wing PC game series then you will get your answer which conflicts in no way with the movies. Btw the B-Wing has more firepower. ;)
Page: 1 of 1