Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK2Radient...why the hate?

Page: 1 of 1
 irishpump
02-02-2003, 9:51 PM
Im reading a lot of posts where people seem to dislike JK2Radient and prefer GTKRadient. Im curious why? I think JK2Radient is fantastic i came from MOHRadient for MOHAA and compared to it JK2 is purely perfect. There are so many problems for MOHRadient it was ridiculous. Not only that but MOHRadient you had to make scripts for your maps for practically everything. Like ambient sounds you had to script...on JK2Radient all i have to do is know the path and include it into my pk3 and bam ive got custom sounds added. So i dont know....JK2Radient is a god to me. What makes this GTKRadient so great out of curiousity?

:lsduel:
 Dragarius
02-03-2003, 3:28 AM
For me, it is like going from MOHRadiant to JK2Radiant(in your terms).

JK2Radiant is fine.

GTKRadiant has more features and (for me) is much easier to use.

Full disclosure: there were some labeling features in JK2Radiant that I miss with GTKRadiant but it is a minor issue. (And it may be that they are present but I haven't found them yet)
 Johnny-Rico
02-03-2003, 7:14 AM
the only reason i dont like jk2radiant is because of the movment like in the 3d u cant move with the mouse to what direction u want but in gtkradiant u can so thas easier.
 Suicide20
02-03-2003, 8:43 AM
Personally,
I've used q3radiant, and other flavors of radiant over the years...
I still DON'T like the weird GTKWin32 window behavior... It just doesn't feel right.../shrug.

They both have places on my HD though, and I ussually end up switching between them many times...

JK offers light radious grids with out having to select the brushes.
GTK Only does this when you select the light in question.

GTK allows you to paint/select which I will admit is a god send when working with terrian...

GTK allows you to select single brushes from a group or ent with out having to select the whole brush then de-select the brushes you don't want... Very handy...

Ok, I will admit that the only reason I don't like GTK is the silly code it was written in...

I still want the ability to preview movers in my damned editor, aka QeRadiant that Robter Duffy released 4 or 5 years ago.../boggle
 dvader28
02-03-2003, 10:09 AM
GTKRadiant just feels more stable and powerful than JK2...as leslie said somewhere else, it's also an open project...plenty of add ons to come..JK2 just seems a bit old and clunky to me
 irishpump
02-03-2003, 10:55 AM
hmmm, the only real problem ive encountered with jk2radient is occasionally my models will show up in the game as solid black objects. Maybe ill give GTKRadient a try for things like that and just switch back and forth. Out of curiousity anyone know why that happens? In MOHRadient models would turn totally black very very rarely

:lightning
 Kengo
02-03-2003, 3:08 PM
I use JK2Radiant, although probabaly only because I'm too lazy to change, and to be different!

I don't have any problems with it, and I don't think another editor will make my maps any better, it's the designer not the map editor in the end right?

Who am I kidding...I'm just too lazy to change.
 Atolm
02-03-2003, 6:44 PM
There's no hate for JK2Radiant... just more love for GtkRadiant. :p
 Shadriss
02-03-2003, 8:47 PM
I just switched from JK2 to GTK, actually, and really, the only reason I did was for the Q3Map2 compiler. Speeds thigns WAY up. THough I have to admit there are a number of texture related funtions I liked better in JK2....
 Emon
02-03-2003, 9:23 PM
1. Entity labels can be enabled from the View menu.

2. GTKRadiant was written with the GIMP Toolkit, and is far from silly code...
 buckman
02-04-2003, 12:25 AM
1. jk2rad takes about 4times as long to load up

2. it takes twice the time to load a map in jk2rad

3. In GTK you can choose a gridsize 4 times smaller then the smallest available in jk2rad

4. Mouselook in 3d-view rocks!

5. It has multiple default plugins like GenSurf witch allowes you to generate terrains fairly easy.

All in all, everythjin jk2rad can do, gtk can do better.
 Patrick_H
07-14-2003, 1:46 AM
1. There IS mouselook in JK2 Rad. Why doesn't anyone know this?

2. Gensurf works just fine with JK2 Rad also.

3. JK2 Rad allows you to select single brushes from a group or entity! Just hit Alt+Shift and click the brush you want.

Just wanted to clarify. Didn't know about the smaller gridsize in GTK, that is cool.
 Lil Killa
07-14-2003, 3:31 AM
Jk2 radiant crashes all the time and I like q3map2 and Gtk supports that compialer. plus gtk has more features.
 Mercenary
07-14-2003, 4:21 AM
Why the revival of dead threads lately?
 Kengo
07-14-2003, 11:07 AM
*Looks suspiciously at Patrick_H*

Ah, this is the kind of thread that always seems to re-appear, might as well keep and old one alive than have people repeating their positions on it the next time someone comes along and asks which is better. All I have to add is that inertia is a powerful force indeed.
 Eldritch
07-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Patrick_H
3. JK2 Rad allows you to select single brushes from a group or entity! Just hit Alt+Shift and click the brush you want.
GtK Rad can also select single brushes from a group / entity.
 legameboy
07-14-2003, 2:10 PM
I'm mad at JK2Radient, I used to use it, but the problem was, some things or textures wouldn't show up, and I had worked 3 weeks on a map and the thing crashed and my map wouldn't work.
 rgoer
07-14-2003, 4:46 PM
Try this in JK2Radiant (it's been so long since I've used JK2Radiant that I'm not sure if this is the correct bug-inducing procedure, but I remember it went something like this):

1. Create a simple patch mesh.
2. Move it around.
3. Hit ctrl+z "undo."
4. Watch your patch mesh disappear before your eyes, leaving a mess of "evil brushes" in its wake.

This will never happen to you in GtkRadiant.

Give yourself a week to properly learn to use the GtkRadiant 1.3.8 beta (http://qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_dir=20), and I promise you: you will never touch JK2Radiant again.
 ZBomber
07-14-2003, 5:37 PM
1. I couldn't make a BSP with JK2Radiant
2. Its a lot easier for me to see where I put stuff, with the mouse click view thingy in 3d.
3. It loads up a lot faster for me.

Thats it. :)
 Patrick_H
07-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Eldritch
GtK Rad can also select single brushes from a group / entity.

I know, Eldritch. I was responding to Suicide20 who had already pointed this out about GTK as if it was exclusive to that editor. I was just trying to clarify that that ability is in JK2 Radiant also.

Originally posted by Lil Killa
Jk2 radiant crashes all the time and I like q3map2 and Gtk supports that compialer. plus gtk has more features.

The only thing that makes JK2 Radiant crash for me is certain problems with its patch editor. Q3map2 can compile a map made in JK2 Radiant as well. Just use Q3map2 Toolz to run Q3map2 independently, and it's easier to access all of its options and very easy to understand also.

Originally posted by Shadriss
I just switched from JK2 to GTK, actually, and really, the only reason I did was for the Q3Map2 compiler. Speeds thigns WAY up. THough I have to admit there are a number of texture related funtions I liked better in JK2....

See above. It's not really necessary to switch just for the use of Q3map2.

Originally posted by rgoer
Try this in JK2Radiant (it's been so long since I've used JK2Radiant that I'm not sure if this is the correct bug-inducing procedure, but I remember it went something like this):

1. Create a simple patch mesh.
2. Move it around.
3. Hit ctrl+z "undo."
4. Watch your patch mesh disappear before your eyes, leaving a mess of "evil brushes" in its wake.

This will never happen to you in GtkRadiant.

Give yourself a week to properly learn to use the GtkRadiant 1.3.8 beta (http://qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_dir=20), and I promise you: you will never touch JK2Radiant again.

I admit the largest problems with JK2 Radiant involve its handling of patch meshes. I have had that problem before. It also has certain options involving caps and such that simply don't work and when selected crash the program.

I do believe that GTK is a more mature editor, it's just that it's difficult for me to stop working on a project long enough to learn a new editor, especially when I am trying to tackle 3DS Max and learn to create pro-quality textures at the same time. I also thought that the fondness of most for GTK was creating several misconceptions about JK2 Radiant.
 Emon
07-21-2003, 6:19 PM
There is nothing new to learn in GtkRadiant. If you cannot learn how to use a mouselook that you've been using for games in years, or cannot learn to read the new items in the menus, then you have bigger issues. Because that's about all you have to learn.
 Patrick_H
07-21-2003, 6:25 PM
I guess maybe I didn't explain that very well. My issues weren't actually related to learning- more like learning to figure out why it wouldn't install properly on my system. That kind of technical crap bores me to tears. I'll probably not bother until my next map.
 rgoer
07-21-2003, 6:37 PM
There are a few things to learn, Emon, but the sentiment of your post rings true: all the new things (shift+s patch-mesh texture inspector, the plugins, the new preferences, the new grid options) will probably take a combined half-hour to figure out--and each of them will seem plainly obvious after you use them the first time.
 wedge2211
07-22-2003, 1:05 AM
Ah...Patch inspector...*rolls eyes in ecstacy*
Page: 1 of 1