Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space Shuttle Columbia

Page: 1 of 1
 Juztyn
02-01-2003, 1:10 PM
Wow.. kinda a shock to wake up this morning and read about this. If you haven't heard, the Space Shuttle Columbia was destroyed as it made it's way towards a landing strip in Texas this morning. You can find more information at www.cnn.com)

I'm sure this is going to be a huge setback for the space program and for the space exploration of mankind as a whole. Very dissapointing.
 Gaalgoth
02-01-2003, 2:05 PM
The things that make this suck the most are that 1) they were 16 minutes away from landing and 2) the first Israeli astronaut was onboard. Bot the best timing, if there ever would be a good time for this.
 Jan Gaarni
02-01-2003, 5:10 PM
Yes, heard it on the news to.

Very sad. :(

It will be a setback indeed. NASA has, what, a couple of more shuttles left, isn't it? The debate about newer types of ships is prolly gonna become even more important now.

If I were to bet on the cause of this tragic accident, it would be on that peice from one of the booster rockets hitting one of the wings. If it knocked off one or more of those heatshield tiles, the shuttle would become exposed to the intense heat during re-entry.

I hope they find the cause of it, and I beleive they will.
 Zendjir
02-02-2003, 4:50 AM
Yeah, terrible indeed.

I heard on the news that NASA had sent a report to the US government a while back saying that they needed more money or they could not garuantee te best possible safety. The US space budget has decreased 50% since the "high-times" of space travel.

Damn it, this should not have happened! People should come before money!
 Wraith 8
02-02-2003, 10:18 AM
welll yeah you are all right of course.
but things happen. and i was watchin the news about this history event that happened at the Ntherlands 50 years ago... this huge water flood killed hundreds of people here. and then it just stopped for an extra new bulletin. as a kid i saw the chalenger blew up in pieces.... it reminded me of that.

my thoughts go out to the relatives of the crew.
my moment of silence.
-Wraith 8-
Page: 1 of 1