Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

RPG Commenor

Page: 1 of 5
 Shadriss
01-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, for those of you who follow my somewhat dubious mapping career, you may have noticed that my SP Deception set didnt work out, mostly because I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of support from the community. Not blaming you, just saying. Of course, the fact that a month's worth of mapping suddenly vanished in a badly-timed autosave may have had SOMEthing to do with it...

But, now, as usualy, I have something new up my sleeve.

Those who have been following the Mos Entha WIP have probobly heard about RA (Roleplayers Anonymous) and the kind of maps they like, IE RPG. Well, FuzzYCrimmy got to talking to me a week ago, complaining about the lack of trrully good RPG maps.

Guess who got suckered into doing one? :)

After a week of work, I have one area all but finished, and another underway. In addition, I have Fuzzy and WesKesh helping me out with area layouts and designs, so hopefully this one will actually MAKE it to the final stages.

The work, thus far, can be viewed (now and ALWAYS) at http://ramapping.moonfruit.com)

I'll keep it as updated as I can, but as I now work much longer hours than once I did, this one wont be going as quicklyas my work might once have.

As always, comments, suggestions for improvement, etc. are always welcome.
 Wes Marrakesh
01-27-2003, 12:38 AM
*taps his foot and waits for adminship*

Ya know, Wes would work just fine :D
 DISorder
01-27-2003, 7:52 AM
Shadriss, please take out the Mos Entha download until the newest one comes out on pcgamemods.com otherwise everyone who downloads from your site will have an outdated version.

Thanks

As for the map, looks like its comming along nicely, although I dont know if I like the texture for the wall in the little alcove things (the grey with red stripe). Good luck, hope you turned off autosave :D

DISorder
 Hekx
01-27-2003, 9:52 AM
It's always great to have good RPG maps, and this one sounds like the bomb. :)

Make sure The Dancing Green Knight has a disco floor so Lando can get his groove on. :D

Nice idea. :thumbsup:
 Wudan
01-27-2003, 10:44 AM
I am normally enthused at Shadriss' work, but I find myself needing more depth ... hmmm
 Kengo
01-27-2003, 1:41 PM
Same thing happened to me ages ago with a map, and an autosave saving a big error I couldn't fix :( Clearly it's a bit late...but are you gonna turn off autosave in future? I think it's more of a danger than a useful thing, seems more likely to save unsolvable problems than make sure you don't lose work.
 Kengo
01-27-2003, 2:03 PM
The ideas for the map look great, JK2 and monty python? you can't lose man :) It sounds like a very detailed and believable place you've got planned, I've never really understood RPG gaming in jk2, but this gives me more of an idea what its about.
 Shadriss
01-27-2003, 5:59 PM
So much feedback already? Man that feels good...

DIS - I put it up on the site for RA until it got put on PCGameMods... but not a problem... they only needed it for last night anyways, and it IS taking up hosting space! :)

As for the Red stripe on grey, it looks MUCH better in game than it does in the screenshot... the grey is all chromy and semi-reflective. It needed a highlight to break it up a little, and that looked best of the ideas I tried.

Noxu - I have TENATIVE plans for a disco floor - though me and Fuzzy have yet to fully discuss it. (Myself, I think we almost HAVE to! A nightclub without a DISCO? PERISH the thought!)

Wudan - I think you're missing part of the idea. The Python referances are no more than a big In-Joke. When myself, Fuzzy, and Wes started planning this, we got into a bit of a laugh fest remembering The Holy Grail. It gave us a direction to go, nothing more. It may not be the kind of "in-depth" map I'm usually doing, but, as the old saying goes... "All work and no play..."

Kengo - You have NO idea how pissed I was... the only thing I will say concerning Deception is that at least the Hospital wing DESIGN will live on - it's my basis for the Commenor Clinic. But, I also switched from JK2 to GTK 1.2.11 before I started this, and it's working out MUCH better (aside from a few complaints about how it handles curves, but thats for another place).

As for understanding RPG in JK2 - you dont have to. The level, as I have it envisioned right now, should offer good FFA, Duel, and possibly CTF action as well... I'll figure THAT out when I get more of it put together.

Thanks for all the initial feedback, ,guys, and PLEASE, ,for my OWN sanity, keep commenting as it updates? Please?

Oh, and Legion - Just so there is NO misunderstanding this time... *chuckle* - The "Showcased Item" is being hosted off-thread... so please dont close this one eh? :)

Shadriss
 Wudan
01-27-2003, 6:16 PM
Well, I probably am missing part of the idea, but I do LOVE Monty Python :)

I'll try to have a better attitude :)

I'm interested in making another map soon, I've only had one (EVER), but I doubt you'll find it ... tee hee!

At least you're doing what you want to do - what you do is impressive - I always get side-tracked.

Maybe someday, I can try to impress you?
 Shadriss
01-27-2003, 6:37 PM
Boy, THERES an assumption! I dont get near HALF the look I wish I could... I guess I'm just good at getting some ideas across better than others. Really, ,I dont have time (or patuience!) to get it all in. :)
 DISorder
01-27-2003, 7:28 PM
I dont know if I like the woodgrain texture on the tables, looks fake...of course, I dont know where you could find any better... :/
Just a suggestion :D

EDIT: Do you do your own textures? Also the patchshadows looks cool, are you using q3map2 (gotta learn to use that)? and is anyone else getting slowdown when they try to post?
 Wes Marrakesh
01-27-2003, 7:52 PM
For Swallow Spaceport: did the texture last night.
 Leslie Judge
01-27-2003, 9:08 PM
Maybe it's too late or just too redundant to say, but a simple autosave shouldn't necessarily be the end of a map. I'm not talking about that 'Do it again, it will be better than original'. I'm talking about snapshots.

Do you guys use them? Very useful, when you saved your map twice (so errorfree .bak file bye-bye) with the error and after that let the editor to make an autosave (errorfree autosave.map bye-bye).
 Shadriss
01-27-2003, 9:55 PM
I checked for the snapshots, and, ,lo and behold, ,THOSE were gone too! :(

Sad to have lost all that work... really irked me off.

On to better news.

The clinic area has been fully laid out, ,though not textured or lit yet. I have a few textures to make (some pics of some Jedi Kids from EP2 and a couple of landscapes) that are goingto go in before I do that, but it should be essentially done tommorrow night I hope. IN the meantime, I have a screenshot of the top-down layout view from radient.

While I'm thinking about it, ,is there any reason a fog-type brush (ie, Water) could not be a func_door, so as to simulate rising water?
 wedge2211
01-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
While I'm thinking about it, ,is there any reason a fog-type brush (ie, Water) could not be a func_door, so as to simulate rising water?

I tried that once. I made a fog brush into a func_door, opening down, negative lip, start_open. Then I hooked a trigger_multiple to it. When I set off the trigger, nothing happened. :) I tried it with water once, too, but that made lots of HOM errors along all the walls and when underwater, the view wasn't tinted/distorted. If you can try it with better luck, let me know!

Originally posted by DISorder
I dont know if I like the woodgrain texture on the tables, looks fake...of course, I dont know where you could find any better... :/

You can use the wood-beam textures that I made for CotA if you'd like.

Really sucks about Deception, I want to see some good SP maps, and you seemed to have a good setup going...nuts.

(PS...wudan? STRONG BAD???)
 Shadriss
01-28-2003, 6:49 AM
As to the wood grain, I took a look after I saw that comment, and it looked a lot better when I tightetend up the space between the woodgrains, so the next round of pics for that (Not anytime soon, BTW) should look better there.

And I WILL let you know if this idea works, Wedge... count on it. :)
 Wudan
01-28-2003, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
(PS...wudan? STRONG BAD???)

Yes. Strong Bad. He is verrrry verrrry funny.

Oh, and I saw once how that rising water thing is done, but I do not remember how it was done. It was in the quake3world forums.
 Pnut_Man
01-28-2003, 3:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to this map. If you guys ever need help with new textures just email me or something. I'll be watching this thread with a close eye ;)
 MuRaSaMuNe
01-28-2003, 9:44 PM
Looks tight, cool site too :thumbsup:
 Shadriss
01-28-2003, 9:51 PM
Well, I didnt get too much done today really. A few new textures made and used, but I didnt finish the clinic, let alone get it lit. *shrug* Can't be a workhorse all the time.

However, I can report the following mappers are ALSO now working on this project :

Wes - Currently working the Spaceport
FuzzyCrimmy - Currently working the Detention Center
Kal_El (aka WhiteShdw) - Either the Temple, or the Office (to be determined)

So, at least I have a lot of help this time!

THe clinic should be done tommorrow, , assuming I dont have yet ANOTHER bad day.
 Pnut_Man
01-28-2003, 10:03 PM
There's a blueprint of the clinic in the screenshots section of the site. I've also heard that there will be enterable bacta healing tanks..heh..
 DISorder
01-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Holy cow, your radiant is very clean, like, you can see the stuff, in Mos Entha it was pretty hard to make things out, especially from the side views with everything else in the way, but anyways, looks like your'e comin along good, w00t.
 Shadriss
01-29-2003, 5:59 AM
*grimace* THanks for bringing that up, Pnut - I hadnt posted on that 'cause I'm not sure they will work yet.

But since they HAVE been mentioned... Yes, I plan to have four full sized bacta tanks that are at least PARTIALLY functional. They wont be able to heal you directly (that I've found, anyway), but you will be able to enter them, have the door close behind you, and have the bacta (water) come up and dunk you. It'll only be a few seconds long (or you'd drown) but it'll still be a nice touch... IF it works.

If anyone knows if it IS posible to have a trigger_mult or some other such entity do a partial or full heal to a player, could they please let me know? Assuming the rest of it works, it'd be just the icing on the cake for THAT to work as well.
 Eldritch
01-29-2003, 9:00 AM
*grimace* THanks for bringing that up, Pnut - I hadnt posted on that 'cause I'm not sure they will work yet.

But since they HAVE been mentioned... Yes, I plan to have four full sized bacta tanks that are at least PARTIALLY functional. They wont be able to heal you directly (that I've found, anyway), but you will be able to enter them, have the door close behind you, and have the bacta (water) come up and dunk you. It'll only be a few seconds long (or you'd drown) but it'll still be a nice touch... IF it works.

If anyone knows if it IS posible to have a trigger_mult or some other such entity do a partial or full heal to a player, could they please let me know? Assuming the rest of it works, it'd be just the icing on the cake for THAT to work as well.

Didn't Dad*Mad's Palace Wars map have a fountain that healed you if you stood in it?
 wedge2211
01-29-2003, 12:46 PM
What? No "Castle of AAAAAAaaaaahhhhhggggg?!"

Speaking of Palace Wars, how do you escape that hunc_alloc error thingy?
 Eldritch
01-29-2003, 1:10 PM
Go into the console:

type : set com_hunkmegs 128

That should do it.
 Shadriss
01-29-2003, 7:24 PM
Haven't played that one yet. Maybe eventually, Aru...

OK... THe clinic is textured and lit. The screenies are up, and though a few of them are slightly outdated (mostly because of small lighting changes) they are a good representation of the area.

The water thing I asked about works... just gotta make sure you make you water brush correctly is all. Otherwise, you wont sink into it.

Also included in the screenies is a small bloopers pic... I took it when I did the initial texturing and before I put in ANY lighting... I went in-game to evaluate lighting needs, and well... I'll let the pic speak for itself. :D

Also, welcome to the Project, Aru-Wen... NOW GET THAT POWER CENTER DONE! *cracks whip*
 Pnut_Man
01-29-2003, 8:13 PM
Now if we could just get LivingDeadJedi to join the Commenor team :p
 Eldritch
01-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Haven't played that one yet. Maybe eventually, Aru...
You should check it out. Unfortunately, because of insane amount of detail, I am unable to do anything but 'tour' Palace Wars with my 1.53 GHz comp. :( Looks sweet, plays bad.

Also, welcome to the Project, Aru-Wen... NOW GET THAT POWER CENTER DONE! *cracks whip*

OUCH! *bandages back* Thanks, I think. ;) I've decided to shift my mapping schedule around and if I can map uninterrupted for a little while, I should have something to send to you instead of what I promised you'd have by Friday. I think you'll like this better anyway, Shad. Careful with that whip, now - wouldn't want you to lose an eye. :D
 DISorder
01-29-2003, 11:47 PM
**DISorder marvles at how fast Shadriss' mapping is, and realizes how incredibly slow he is..."

lol, you are fast man, clinic looks good, the receptionist room looks a little overlit though, which I suspect may be hte lighting change you spoke of...
 Shadriss
01-30-2003, 7:02 AM
Now if we could just get LivingDeadJedi to join the Commenor team :)

Oh, that's not TOO out of the question - I used to talk with LDJ fairly often, actually. Unfortunately, I dont see him all too often anymore bacause of work - he's on earlier in the day than when I get back from work. *sigh* As nicee as he'd be to have working with us though, I have enough mappers working right now.

lol, you are fast man, clinic looks good, the receptionist room looks a little overlit though, which I suspect may be hte lighting change you spoke of...

Right you are... and I think I've about got it tweaked in. DOn't be thinking I'm a fast mapper though - itjust happened that with these two areas, I knew EXACLTY what I wanted in terms of look and architecture. The clinic was actually simple - it's the same design as my Deceeption Hospital wing was going to be before it took a nose dive. Expect the pace to slow a little.

I've decided to shift my mapping schedule around and if I can map uninterrupted for a little while, I should have something to send to you instead of what I promised you'd have by Friday. I think you'll like this better anyway, Shad. Careful with that whip, now - wouldn't want you to lose an eye. :)

That'll be great, Aru. I look forward to seeing it. I think I mentioned this to you before, but I'll say it again just to make sure - don't worry about too many pretty details or finishing touches - I'll have to remap it to scale with the rest of the map in all likelihood - (this goes for my other mappers as well!).

Next stop : The detention center.
 Eldritch
02-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Just thought I'd drop a screenshot to show you all what I've been working on. I'm still playing with the textures, so nothing is final yet. This is just a corner of the powerstation... nothing too big.

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation001.jpg)
 Shadriss
02-02-2003, 9:52 PM
Looking very nice, Aru - thanks for the work. When you catch me onine next, ,I'll want to get a better look in-game, of course.

For the rest of you - work has kind of hit a wall for the past few days - it's kind of hard to map when your 6 month old son can (and will) projectile puke at any given second. So, needless to say, No work has been done on my end.

I plan to watch EP4 scenes that show the Death Star detention area, as I plan to base the Detention center around that theme. Heck, If I get a good enough look, it may be a near mirror image. *shrug* We'll see.
 Pnut_Man
02-03-2003, 6:53 AM
The Anticipation, God Bless you if this comes out right...
I look forward to screenshots + the detention center :)
 Kengo
02-03-2003, 7:55 PM
I really like the way a group of talented mappers are working together on a large map, producing different areas, which have their own individual style whilst maintaining an overall feel for the map, great stuff, looking amazing so far :)
 Eldritch
02-03-2003, 8:15 PM
There's talented mappers on this project?! Did I miss a meeting or something?

;)
 Shadriss
02-03-2003, 9:09 PM
I think Kengo meant US, Aru... though Heaven knows *I* had to look twice too!

Started the layout for the Det center tonight... have a start on it, but it wont be ready in any shape for a day or two.

So... uh... I guess thats it. :)
 Eldritch
02-03-2003, 9:28 PM
:lol: :rofl: *wipes eye* Good one, Shad. Seriously though, who are these mappers?
 __CKY__
02-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Looks very good dude :D
 Wes Marrakesh
02-05-2003, 1:48 PM
That couldn't be me, Aru.... ;)
 Eldritch
02-05-2003, 3:56 PM
Quick look to show you all what I've been working on. Two shots of the main power generator (ignore the texturing, i'm still working on it):

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation003.jpg)

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation004.jpg)
 Shadriss
02-05-2003, 4:07 PM
Now I feel like I'm slacking on my Detention center... I haven't done much with it the past few days, mostly because I had to study for a test at work and my boy decided to try to set the distance record for projectile puking (he failed, but MAN he tried a lot...).
 Eldritch
02-05-2003, 4:15 PM
Your boy has got his work cut out for him... I still hold that record. ;)
 Shadriss
02-05-2003, 4:45 PM
Just dont give him any tips please? We're still cleaning up the damage here...
 Wes Marrakesh
02-05-2003, 9:20 PM
You think you're slacking, Shad? I haven't touched the Landing for a week and a half!
 Eldritch
02-05-2003, 10:04 PM
*wonders if he should crack the whip*

Hmm... yep. I think I need to.

*cracks the whip at Shadriss*

Get on your work!

*cracks the whip at Wes*

You're no exception! Get to work!

:D :p
 Shadriss
02-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Wait a second... I thought *I* was in charge here?

OK ok... I got to work and got the Detention center completely laid out, though not textured or lit yet. I put up a "blueprint" screenshot on the site, along with a brief explanation of whats actually in there. Not much, but not bad for a day's work, I think.

Another day should see the area textured and lit... so I hope to have the good pics up tommorrow night.
 Eldritch
02-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Wait a second... I thought *I* was in charge here?

You are, you are. At least we let you think that. :D

I was just kidding around, anyway. Can't wait to see the finished Detention Center.

Say, when I finish up the power station, do I get a new section to start on, or are you doing the rest yourself, you big bad mapper man? :p
 Shadriss
02-06-2003, 4:00 PM
You honestly think I'm letting you off THAT easy? (Pause for loud racacous laughter). Not hardly.

I'mnot sure which I'm going to ask for next from you, so kind of look them all over and get back to me... if you something you WANT to do, that'll be great.
 Eldritch
02-06-2003, 4:10 PM
I'll look over the site and check out the locations. What locations are already taken (or being planned)? I know Wes is working on one of them, and you've got at least 3...
Page: 1 of 5