Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

foreign model

Page: 1 of 1
 ninja
01-23-2003, 5:26 AM
hey whats up guys, i hope this is the right place to put it. anyhow i stumbled on this foreign jk2 web site with skins and models. there is a model in here but it seems that all the files arent in place and when you unzip the folder you get 5 different folders. with skins, and sounds and bot files. anyone know how to play this model? just seems too complicated. it is here http://www.jedi-knight2.de/skindb/index.php?action=2&skinid=162)
 Hellfire Jedi
01-23-2003, 6:11 AM
when u d/l it its already a pk3
 ninja
01-23-2003, 6:35 AM
so which of the files do i take it out of and put it into the base folder? and were you able to play the model?
 Hellfire Jedi
01-23-2003, 6:39 AM
1. Its not a model. its a SKIN off of the stormtrooper.
2. Its ALREADY a pk3 just put what you d/l in your base
 ninja
01-23-2003, 7:01 AM
ah thats sucks, well never mind i dont think i wanna put that in my folders. and this thread is worthless now. lol thought i was on to something. i hope i did'nt get anyone mad.
 mace_sundancer
01-23-2003, 3:15 PM
you put the PK3 in your base folder like you would with any other model or skin, it's not that complicated mate.
 ninja
01-24-2003, 1:05 AM
@ mace_sundance obviously you have not downloaded that model. when you ope the zip files it has many folders, that include skins and sounds. there for it is as if it were incomplete. and by the way there is no pk3 file. so there for it is complicated. download it and you'll see what i mean.
 mace_sundancer
01-24-2003, 2:18 AM
you download the pk3 and DO NOT UNZIP IT, JUST PUT THAT IN THE BASE FOLDER! it's not that hard really...
 Psynex
01-24-2003, 10:55 AM
mace is right, you don't unzip it. If the file isn't a PK3, rename it to name.PK3. Put that extension on the end, and just put it in the JK2\base folder. PK3 and ZIP are the same, but the game only reads the PK3 extension.

If you're using windows XP you probably have compressed folders running, which might make the PK3 look like a ZIP file and that's because they're the same thing.
 ninja
01-24-2003, 1:41 PM
i have windows 2000. every skin and model i have downloaded was in a .zip file. and i just unzip and the pk3 is there ready to go. so your basicly saying that when i download it, and i see the zip, i just click on property's and change the .zip to .pk3?
 Psynex
01-24-2003, 2:36 PM
now your problem becomes a bit more clear. I could see how you would be confused. Most people around here pak up the model, then zip it (a zip inside a zip) so you can check the readme and such before installing. It sounds like in your case you downloaded it in zip format, but it wasn't inside another zip, meaning it wasn't a PK3 inside of a zip. You should just take the file you downloaded, right click on it and click rename. Backspace over the .zip and type .pk3. Then put it in your base folder and you should be ok.

I downloaded the same model myself from the link you gave and the PC I'm at downloaded it as a pk3. You must either have some sort of download manager setting changing it as it comes in, or Winzip itself set to automatically handle pk3 files and changes the extension on you.
 mace_sundancer
01-24-2003, 3:11 PM
i think he's unzipping the pk3. he is dl'ing the pk3 then unzipping it expecting to find a pk3 inside...
 ninja
01-24-2003, 3:58 PM
thanks for the tip. next time i have a problem like that, thats what i'll do. and the skin is'nt that great. in all it was just a big disapointment. the only positive thing was i learned something new.
 mace_sundancer
01-24-2003, 4:38 PM
chalk it up to experience then
Page: 1 of 1