Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

There may be a third trilogy after all

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord Fondlemaid
01-21-2003, 1:46 PM
 Tie Guy
01-21-2003, 3:20 PM
I don't know, could have just been a mistake on his part. It would be nice to see Episodes 7-9, but i doubt it at this point.
 wassup
01-21-2003, 5:25 PM
Not a chance...that's probably some mistake he made trying to get his words out. He might have been referring to his orginal plans or had too much booze with PJ that night...
 Rogue15
01-21-2003, 5:53 PM
that would be awesome....well....depending what timeline he sets them in. would be sweet to see what sw is like 3000 years after rotj, and let him give people something to write up to. =]
 Katarn07
01-21-2003, 9:31 PM
He has more projects he's dying to get out I read. He doubts there will be a third trilogy, and if there is, it won't be done by him. (may be a good thing for you no good, dirty rotten "fans" who hate the PT :mad:...)
 Darth_Rive
01-22-2003, 2:28 PM
I dunno. As much as I'd love to see the new trilogy, I think it'd be a better idea to license out the universe, to let other people write screenplays and have GL and his co-writers go over them and check them for their appropriateness... :confused: if that's even a word... But yeah, I know that I'd love to see Kevin J. Anderson's "Jedi Academy" trilogy made into movies, for definite, as well as "Shadows of The Empire". I think that the later trilogy might be a bit... I dunno, dull? depends on that he's got planned. I mean, technically, he's got peace throughout the galaxy (apart from the Remnant forces, Admiral Daala, etc, but they're not really canonical characters / situations, so as far as the movie story's concerned, they don't exist), so the stor could probably just be left there.

I just think that it'd be nice for GL & friends to let other people have a go for a change. Like me, for example... :P It'd be nice to see a SW film without a single plot-hole in it for a change...
 Tie Guy
01-22-2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Rive
I think that the later trilogy might be a bit... I dunno, dull? depends on that he's got

One word: Thrawn.
 Darth_Rive
01-22-2003, 3:00 PM
True, but as I said, technically Thrawn doesn't exist as far as GL's concerned. I mean, if he's going to do the final trilogy, Lucas and his team are going to have to do a hell of a lot of reading and note-taking, plus they'll have to pay out royalties to the hundreds of authors that have had their books about after Episode VI published, because of having to include some of their stories in the films. The thing is that almost all these characters, no matter how different, all end up having their paths cross in the books, so it's going to be extremely difficult to do.

I can just see it now. GL goes ahead with his planned story and bulldozes all that has been written before the films. I mean, I know that the SW universe is technically his intellectual property, blah blah, and why should he have to re-write his own story to accommodate these authors, but think about it. Star Wars VII-IX will be made for the fans of the previous movies. This could potentially end up like the Star Trek (oops - swear word ;) )universe, where "Enterprise" has basically knackered up the whole thing by getting all the facts wrong. The people that are watching the series are fans, and know roughly what went before, and are all pissed at the fact that it's gone all arse-over-tit. I hope GL takes a look at that and realises that he's potentially sitting on the verge of the same situation.

Well, whatever happens, it'll probably break all box-office records again, even if tey do end up crap, simply because of the big gold lettering of "STAR WARS".

Apologies for sounding so cynical today... :P
 Keiran Halcyon
01-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Well of course if lucas does more movies, the EU will be driven off. unless he pretends to end the Yuzaan Vong Era with movies :)

And i think he wouldnot have to pay any royalties to any writer, he is his universe and his license.... (the writes should be prying him to insert a character created by him in the movies, not suing him for that...
 Darth Groovy
01-24-2003, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
He has more projects he's dying to get out I read. He doubts there will be a third trilogy, and if there is, it won't be done by him. (may be a good thing for you no good, dirty rotten "fans" who hate the PT :mad:...)

:wstupid: I think deep down GL has heard enough critics bash his movie and compare it to films like American Beauty and Fight Club. I think what critics really want is to see Ben Affleck come out in a spandex Darth Vader Suit and swing a lightsaber around to Mecco's Star Wars, while Quentin Tarrentino, in yet another shameless cameo, discusses with Mace Windu the social, significance of the "Pam and Tommy" video. Well, that's just my opinion.....:rolleyes:
 Swat
01-24-2003, 12:51 PM
maybe there will be luke's marriage wif mara
 Darth_Rive
01-24-2003, 11:06 PM
I think what critics really want is to see Ben Affleck come out in a spandex Darth Vader Suit and swing a lightsaber around to Mecco's Star Wars

OMFG!!! MENTAL IMAGE!!!!

:barf:

*scratches own eyes out*
 JediNyt
01-25-2003, 2:13 PM
GL said he would not make a sequel trilogy. This is all gossip. Rumors. I read the above article at TF.net I think and the writer corrected themselves saying they misstated GL saying 9 and ment 6.
 Darth Talliusc
01-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
One word: Thrawn.

you just sent shivers all up my spine. if they DO make another trilogy it had BETTER be about thrawn. but maybe tweak the story a little bit, i mean Thrawn deserved a better death. and the nohgri better look damn cool.

oo and finally they better focus on the imperial side alot more, i cant get enough Thrawn tactics :D
 JediNyt
01-27-2003, 8:50 PM
Yeah if a third trilogy was made I think the Thrawn series would be great. Thats also where Mara Jade first appears. Shes quite an important character as far as Luke is concerned. Or do the New Jedi Order series. Maybe combine the two and see Leia and Hans kids born and grow up and Luke and Mara meet and eventually get married. Great stuff yes. But it wont happen. Not with GL anyway. He may make a permanent Lucasfilm contract to never make another SW movie even after hes gone. Or if not his kids may create a whole new SW generation of movies.
 Reborn Outcast
01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
I don't think its true because it would conflict with the EU books... but it would be nice.
 Pnut_Man
01-28-2003, 3:58 PM
At this point I'm convinced that Lucas will not make another trilogy. Dumb ass half brain critics have complained that Star Wars is dying and that LOTR shall rule. Of course, this is bull :P If George Lucas does not create another trilogy then it's almost definate that some other director will buy off the rights and make the 3rd trilogy. I believe creating a trilogy about the Yuuzhan Vong would be most wise. People + fans in general are probably tired of the ole "kill stormies" routine. Let's see film making brought to the next level with the Yuuzhan Vong :)
 StarWarsPhreak
02-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Yes, they should make a Yuuzhan Vong trilogy. If they cant get GL to make it, then I'd even settle for a CG cartoon (not cartoon cartoon, but Computer Genterated.)
 Thomas Harriman
02-01-2003, 12:27 PM
A New Trilogy could affect the Role Playing World if the movies dont follow the books which all based themselves on
 Clemme w/Stick
02-02-2003, 7:41 AM
I say that everything is possible, but I dont think that we're gonna see Ep7-9.

Originally posted by wassup
Not a chance...that's probably some mistake he made trying to get his words out. He might have been referring to his orginal plans or had too much booze with PJ that night...

Heh, I think that you're right :D!

-Clemme
 vegietto
02-02-2003, 7:47 AM
i don't think there will be a Esp 7 - 9 but like u said Clemme everything is possible but i still don't think they will make them
 nova_wolf
02-02-2003, 3:59 PM
He has said 'no' everytime he has been asked.

I think he was toying with us (collective fan base).

You all know how we are viewd by him and the original cast - it's not always that favouravle or repeatable! :confused:

HE won't, but there are some good stories, so indeed - someone else may.

But I think that CG cartoon series are the way to go.

It what kids today want, it would do the series justice, we don't need to worry about the aging actors, and GL can make a bundle from it (always a motivator with them these days)

*go to Betty Ford to kick the habit - cynicism* :p
 Lynk Former
02-02-2003, 8:15 PM
Bleah even if another trilogy was to be made, who would be the actors? I'm not gonna go see some other dude play Skywalker... and Carrie Fisher ain't in much of a good shape to play Leia again :p
 Tie Guy
02-02-2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Bleah even if another trilogy was to be made, who would be the actors? I'm not gonna go see some other dude play Skywalker... and Carrie Fisher ain't in much of a good shape to play Leia again :p

Well, he could always go completely CG. In ten years or so i bet CG characters look completely indestinguishable from regular actors.
 Pnut_Man
02-02-2003, 8:52 PM
I'm 100% with you on that...
One day movies will have programs as actors.. *cringes*
 Lynk Former
02-03-2003, 5:15 AM
when that day comes many dead famous actors will role over in their graves...
 Darth Slayne
02-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Though I doubt very much that GL would make another trilogy, I would love to see it happen. Bring it on I say! And add Thrawn! He was brilliant! :D
 JediNyt
02-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
One day movies will have programs as actors.. *cringes* I hope to the Force that never happens. It would destroy one of the main things that make us want to see movies. Its what performing is all about. If its CG then theres no performance. Even one of the guys at ILM said in an interview that it will never happen. Hope hes right.
 Keiran Halcyon
02-03-2003, 2:24 PM
Wait, Mark Hammil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison FOrd can play their reoles perfectly. Of course, the story should be based in Yuuzan VOng or later. They have not the exact age. And heck Mr Ford (60) is Doing INdy IV, and that more dangeorus than doing a SW movie...
 Darth_Rive
02-04-2003, 4:46 AM
Originally posted by JediNyt:
It would destroy one of the main things that make us want to see movies. Its what performing is all about. If its CG then theres no performance.

Gotta disagree with you ther mate. Look at "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" - a completely CGI movie, and very popular, despite the fact that it cost them US$100 million to make, and it only took US$20 million in the US, I believe. The performances were all there, all realistic, all grapihically stunning. For example:

Dr. Aki Ross 01 (http://www.temoto.co.uk/aki/images/promo10.jpg) 02 (http://www.temoto.co.uk/aki/images/promo5.jpg) 03 (http://www.temoto.co.uk/aki/images/promo12.jpg)

The voice acting was excellent, the script was excellent, the story was a little dicey from the Japanese translation, admittedly, but hey, that's just nit-picking... :p It is possible to completely replace actors with CGI models today, although as you can see from the alien characters in Episode II, even the Obi-Wan CG when he was fighting against Boba Fett, still looks artificial, but with time, as better rendering engines are produced, this look of displacement will be eliminated and full CG actor integration will be undetectable.

Basically, the movements are all motion-captured and transferred onto the computer models, the voices are all recorded and the models are made to lip-synch with the speech, and the graphics will improve to make them look more realistic.
 nova_wolf
02-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I am a HUGE FF fan, games and the movie, and I agree with him.

It is never going to replace actors. If anything, it gives more jobs, as there is no WAY FF;TSW could have been done live action.

Lok at some of the awesome stuff they did. So much of it would have to be CG effects anyway!

The need for voice overs will cause more demand for trained actors. Getting the right face is one thing, but a voice can convey so much when it reads the line, and you want some of these lines to REALLY hit home.

I would have liked to seen another one, may be going back to their Dark Ages / Magic Ages roots, but unfortunately it did not get the support in the Box Office we had hoped for, and yet again, originality sinks from site as sequels reign!

Thanks peeps - now Microsoft own Squaresoft!

*breathes in and out slowly to srucb residual bitterness from sustem*

Sorry - still not gotten over that... :mad:
 Master_MJade
02-04-2003, 3:04 PM
the problem with Lucas doing a 3rd trilogy would be there would most likely be dicrepancies between what us EU fans know and what Lucas wants....
 nova_wolf
02-04-2003, 3:54 PM
Serves the great Beardy Nerf right!

As I have said in many threads pertaining to the canon status of EU, I think it should be as canon as the films.

He vetted, okayed and allowed them all. To turn round and disregard them ALL, and entire continum created on his say so for him from his work, would be insulting to the wrieters and us as fans.

We love them. It's because of the EU stuff that SW is still alive!

Seriously - if it had not been for EU, do you think it would still have the following it does today?
 BigMike322
08-30-2007, 10:49 PM
the problem with Lucas doing a 3rd trilogy would be there would most likely be dicrepancies between what us EU fans know and what Lucas wants....

I agree. If you think about it, Darth Maul is an inconsistency. Palpatine didn't like aliens.
 coupes.
08-31-2007, 1:08 AM
Please don't resurrect 4 year old threads, it's against the rules and also really pointless.

Consider this your first warning.
Page: 1 of 1