Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rescoring the OT - How would you do it?

Page: 1 of 1
 BCanr2d2
01-19-2003, 9:02 AM
Imagine that you could rescore all of the OT movies with whatever music you liked, any artists, any style. How would you do it, what kind of difference would it make to the SW world?

I know that John Williams music is awesome with the saga, and is an integral part of it all.

What I am also after is chosing a band/artist that could score the whole saga, and show where their songs fit into the trilogy....
Just an exercise in alternate thinking....
 C Shutt
01-19-2003, 9:07 AM
You are evil.
 Tie Guy
01-19-2003, 12:33 PM
If i had to do it all over again, i'd choose John Williams. You simply cannot get any better than him for theme music, period.
 Swoosh
01-19-2003, 1:23 PM
I agree that you can't get better than John Williams. He is a master and the god of movie scores. I don't know what will happen once he passes away...

Anyways, this is kinda related to the topic. Did you guys hear that John will be going back and reworking all of the scores for the classic trilogy after EP3 is finished? I heard this from tfn a while ago, and I think it is exciting news! I personally believe that the PT has superior music than the OT, and putting those elements into the OT will only make it kick more ass.

Swoosh
 Katarn07
01-19-2003, 1:26 PM
I'd get Jabba's band to sing a better song, both the original and SE. Same with the Ewok song. But that is it.
 Tie Guy
01-19-2003, 2:11 PM
Well, i would defiantely clean up the audio on the OT at least. When i watch the VHS's and turn up the volume really loudly then you can clearly hear how bad the quality is. On the DVD's of the PT though you can turn it up as loud as you like without any deterioration.
 C Shutt
01-19-2003, 2:33 PM
Originally posted by Swoosh
Anyways, this is kinda related to the topic. Did you guys hear that John will be going back and reworking all of the scores for the classic trilogy after EP3 is finished? I heard this from tfn a while ago, and I think it is exciting news! I personally believe that the PT has superior music than the OT, and putting those elements into the OT will only make it kick more ass.

Gah. I hope this isn't true. The movies were fine the way they were, why does Lucas feel the need to dick around with them?
 leXX
01-19-2003, 3:02 PM
I agree, leave them alone already! I wouldn't change a thing about the music, John Williams is a genius.
 Wraith 8
01-19-2003, 4:35 PM
i cant imagine a star wars movie without jhon williams..
I mean... can you think of another theme for the imp march..... it ownz it :D
 lukeiamyourdad
01-19-2003, 5:42 PM
If he redid the music, everyone will complaint!

unless he only wants simply make it sound better like re-mastering it.
 Admiral Vostok
01-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Well I'm listening to the A New Hope score right now and I think the only thing that could improve it would be just to re-record it. Exactly the same score, but recorded with modern equipment. I think that would really make a big difference and not mess much with the trilogy.

Apart from that no new music (unless they add new scenes that need music).
 BCanr2d2
01-20-2003, 5:44 AM
C'mon, ever thought that you could use Foo Fighters' Next Year when Luke choses to leave Tatooine and follow Obi-Wan?

The beginning of Metallica's S&M version of One as the intro music?

I agree with everyone of you, that John Williams work on not only Star Wars, but many others is pure genius. But can't we take that to the side for a moment, and chose any possible alternative....

Perhaps asking for a total rescore, how about even trying to name some alterative music even for smaller parts of the movie....
 Natty
01-22-2003, 2:49 AM
More imperial march :p
 Darth_Rive
01-23-2003, 9:32 PM
What do you all think about GL asking ILM to take all the special effects scenes in the OT and updating them to pretty CGI versions? I mean, I know that would be kind of sacreligious in a way, considering all the work they did on those scenes 25-odd years ago was ground-breaking and revolutionary, but still... It'd make Eps IV-VI fit better visually with I-III.

Thoughts?
 C Shutt
01-23-2003, 11:49 PM
They already did this in 1997. They released "special editions" with lots of unneccessary CGI effects. As a result, the films are completely unwatchable.
 Tie Guy
01-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Carl Shutt
As a result, the films are completely unwatchable.

That's odd, i could have sworn i successfully watched the all last week. ;)
 Darth_Rive
01-24-2003, 12:07 AM
They already did this in 1997. They released "special editions" with lots of unneccessary CGI effects. As a result, the films are completely unwatchable.

No, I know there were the "Special Edition" versions of the OT.

I'm talking about re-doing every single model-shot based special effect: every single TIE-Fighter, every X-Wing, every piece of trench scenery, every asteroid, etc. Maybe even all the matt painting backgrounds, eg the rebel base hangar behind Lando in Ep VI, replacing those with high quality 3D renders.
 C Shutt
01-24-2003, 12:56 AM
That would be even worse. The films were fine the way they were, they don't need to be changed.
 Darth Groovy
01-24-2003, 6:01 AM
Originally posted by Carl Shutt
You are evil.

What he said. You should be dipped in honey and sent into a swarm of locusts. Oh I can just see it now. Vader and Luke, going mano a mano to Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff. Be forwarned, we have a low threashold of tact around here....:rolleyes:
 BCanr2d2
01-24-2003, 6:39 AM
Obviously the ability to actually apply oneself to actually try and do something alternate is left outside the forums.......

Too hard to actually think of any music? Obviously..........
 Tie Guy
01-24-2003, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
Obviously the ability to actually apply oneself to actually try and do something alternate is left outside the forums.......

Too hard to actually think of any music? Obviously..........

No, its just that there simply isn't any better movie music out there, period.
 BCanr2d2
01-24-2003, 8:35 PM
We all agree on that, but I am not asking for just movie music, just any kind of music that would fit into any part of the SW saga.

Remove the total score done by JW, and redo it differently. I didn't ask people to say that we shouldn't touch it, and that JW is the best, I asked for alternatives.
It's ok for people to ask questions in regards to recasting the OT cast, but the music seems off limits!!!
 Darth_Rive
01-24-2003, 10:57 PM
Sometimes, whilst watching Yoda in Ep I, I occasionally caught myself humming the theme to "The Muppet Show", and I can't for the life of me figure out why... :D
 JediNyt
01-25-2003, 12:23 AM
I wouldnt touch it. Only John Williams.
 Darth Groovy
01-25-2003, 12:58 AM
See the problem is that if you use any kind of popular music in a film, you date the film. If GL had used popular music in the OT, it would have probably been disco. Then we would laugh at those films now. But now since the Star Wars standard is John Williams' Orchestrations, all the films are in line with one another and if you watch them 75 years from now, they will still seem unique. So with that in mind, what, oh what could you possible use to replace the existing soundtrack. And I don't know about you, but Sci-Fi movies with Psuedo Industrial Technopop is a played out fad.
 mez1109
01-25-2003, 5:01 AM
DON NOT TOUCH OLD GOODIES!!!

Doind so will make the movie......how can I say this in the nicest way......CRAP.

For those of you who watche South Park, you know what Spielberg and Lucas did to Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

If you change anything in the old movies, you have truly steped onto the cloudy side of the force.
 Echuu Shen-Jon
03-08-2003, 5:49 PM
In ESB, when Luke runs out of the Wampas cave, there is a sound of a lightsabre being turned off. I would remove that sound, because it’s misplaced. I would change the movie, so it doesn't "lag", when a lightsabre is turned on and off. Also, I would change it, so the lightsabers where similar. They were different in the old films. They look cooler in the new ones!

But please DO NOT touch the music!!
 BCanr2d2
03-08-2003, 9:08 PM
I didn't realise that changing sound effects was rescoring the movie, since the score is the musiscal component of the movie, but then again, I could be mistaken...

Then again, obviously I thought people might offer alternatives, instead they just stuck with the status quo.........
 ronbrothers
03-31-2003, 5:41 AM
John Williams' music IS Star Wars. The only thing that I would change is work the Imperial March into A New Hope. This has become an integral part of Darth Vader / The Empire. It was written and first used in Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back. But because it was reworked as Anakin's Theme in Episode 1 and used in Episode 2, it should be included for continuity's sake.

Perhaps in the scene at Leia's capture when Vader says "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor! Take her away!" Or as he begins her interrogation aboard the Death Star. I thought it could be worked into the destruction of Alderaan, but think that music clip is too powerful already.
 dark jedi 8
03-31-2003, 5:59 PM
i say, dont touch it at all. and if GL wants to make a SE of the SE then he could always add the imperial march to all 6 films! i have a feeling we could hear a lot of it in epIII, hopefully! i love all the music, i also really like the emperors theme in ROTJ. the chorus hum thing. best composition for ROTJ!:D
Page: 1 of 1