Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Honest Politicians?

Page: 1 of 1
 El Sitherino
01-16-2003, 6:42 PM
well i dont think there could be honest politicians because if there were the economy would fail.
 ET Warrior
01-16-2003, 11:58 PM
And do you have any actual basis for that claim? Why would honesty cause our economy to fail? When people actually tell the truth dollar values go down? :confused:
 FunClown
01-17-2003, 2:46 AM
Economy this economy that... Get over it already. :rolleyes:
 Reborn Outcast
01-17-2003, 11:28 AM
haha "honest politicians" is an oxymoron. And insane I don't see where you're basing your claim from. Could you explain more that you did.
 griff38
01-17-2003, 4:38 PM
I think to be a successful politician you must compromise your values.
 El Sitherino
01-17-2003, 4:55 PM
i say this because if we are going to do all we do for a very low amount of money we must swindle. (swindling is dishonest therefore honesty would destroy us) we would have to pay higher taxes. prices for everything would raise.
 Jedi_Monk
01-17-2003, 6:52 PM
The climate in Washington seems to drive away honest people who truly want to help the people, leaving us with dishonest crooks who only care about power. But unless honest people begin to run for office, our democracy won't last much longer. I plan to run, when I'm old enough.
 ET Warrior
01-17-2003, 8:29 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
i say this because if we are going to do all we do for a very low amount of money we must swindle. (swindling is dishonest therefore honesty would destroy us) we would have to pay higher taxes. prices for everything would raise.
:eyeraise:

I have aboslutely no idea what you mean
 FunClown
01-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Anyone remember Pauline Hanson in Australia? She was an honest politician, I have a great respect for her. She united all the other Australian politicians in destroying her.

Also, I think Kevin Rudd deputy foreign minister is a good politician. If he were to become prime minister I would vote Labour. He doesn't play politics like the others, when asked a question, his response isn't just trying to make the other parties look stupid . He answers them and mocks the others when they dance around a question asked of them which will show they are in the wrong and don't want to say it.

BTW, I'm a swinging voter, not a labour supporter ;)
 Psydan
01-18-2003, 12:27 AM
The only reason that people have such a negative veiw of politians is because of the media. You never see news articles that say "everything today in Washington was great, everything was run like it should, and there were no problems" but you do get all of the bad news about all of the wrong things that people do. Is the government corrupted? Nah. But are there some who mess up, and make others look bad? Definitely. All in all, I have seen a lot of good polititians, and some bad ones, but hey, that's why we get to chose who's in office, and I don't think it's fair to label all of them as "dishonest".
 ET Warrior
01-18-2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Psydan
Is the government corrupted?

Yes. Yes it is.
 Psydan
01-18-2003, 3:20 PM
J/w ET, but why do you think it is currupted? Im not trying to start a debate, I just want to know your reasons.
 ET Warrior
01-18-2003, 6:24 PM
Kickbacks, illegal campaign contributions, mudslinging political platforms, illegal selling of weapons to foreign countries, presidents who try to sabotage the other parties running platform to gurantee victory in the election (nixon)

Those are just a few examples of common government practices.
 ShadowTemplar
01-18-2003, 7:26 PM
Also, people want politicians that tell them what they want to hear, IMO. In an era where increasingly more people confuse "fact" and "opinion" (if you disbelieve this, just browse this forum for a while), you can easily get away with lying, as long as people want to believe your lies.

A recent example is The Sceptical Environmentalist. I do not know enough to even make an educated guess on whether he is right or not, but the man on the street thinks that he is, without checking, because they want to believe what he says.

That is not a political climate that promotes honesty.

But still: Is the government corrupt? Well, usually its innocent until proven guilty, but we can all have our thoughts on the subject.
 Arkum
01-18-2003, 11:09 PM
all governemnts are corrupt. power corrupts you, so does money and stuff like that.

but back to the subject:

politicians wer never honest and never will be, except for maybe a few.

and i dont like any of them either.
 FunClown
01-19-2003, 4:20 AM
I would say when they first become politicians they want to make a difference for the better. But after a while they get to learn the ropes from the older politicians and they become corrupted.
 Luc Solar
01-19-2003, 6:50 AM
I think people just don't realize how the system works.

If you are a politician and want to get anything done, you need to compromise. If that is considered lying, then...I guess all politicians are dishonest.

A fact is however, that in a system where matters are decided by VOTING, you must compromise for the sake of the greater good.

Many politicians are honest people. The media just makes it seem like they aren't.

Do you know why politicians answer every question without really answering it?
--> It's because the questions can not be answered simply by "yes" or "no". We, The People want everything to be said clearly, but matters are not that simple period
Politicians have to be on their toes 24/7, so that they won't say anything that might be interpreted by the press (who make a living twisting people's words or taking what they say out of context) in a negative way.

A politician says: War is bad.

The headlines the next day: "Bush should resign, demands Politician X!"
 ET Warrior
01-19-2003, 1:28 PM
If compromise was the worst thing that politicians did then i would have no problem with them. I agree there is quite possibly a few that really ARE honest and trying to help people. But I believe the majority are only looking out for themselves, and giving the people lip-service........
 ninja
01-23-2003, 6:29 PM
there are no honest polititions.
Page: 1 of 1