Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

thank you george lucas...

Page: 1 of 2
 pbguy1211
01-13-2003, 12:29 AM
thanks george lucas...

i just watched, for the first time ever, the digitally remastered episode VI...

thanks george lucas...

thanks for shattering my childhood...
thanks for destroying this movie...
thanks for making my memories just that, memories...

what the hell was so wrong with the original that this needed to be so altered in such a way that it barely resembles the original?

thanks for giving me a reason to hate you now even moreso after these latest 2 pieces of garbage you put in front of me and labelled "starwars"

thanks a lot...

thanks for nothing...
 wassup
01-13-2003, 1:12 AM
Ah...I don't get it. Didn't he just redo some graphics and stuff to make it look prettier? What is wrong with that? At least he didn't change the story or anything (did he?). :confused:
 Boba Rhett
01-13-2003, 1:38 AM
The only thing I really minded is the change he made to Han in the Cantina...

Greedo shot first, dangit! :ball:
 Ratmjedi
01-13-2003, 2:12 AM
I'm with you wassup he really **cked up the movie but touching it up a little. You know what. He should of just left it alone so that the Original film could just degrade and turn to dust. He was just making it look better. Geez some people these days. :rolleyes:

:duel: :lsduel:
 LiMP RABBiT
01-13-2003, 11:55 AM
I know what you mean about the canteena. Why would a bounty hunter miss someone by so far at such a close range. Its just plain stupid. I did like the addition of Jabba though.
 Wraith 8
01-13-2003, 3:08 PM
well.. i didnt min anything about the movie.... the only thing is what boba already said,,, han shoot have shot first.,... i loved the rest... i saw the YT-2400 of Dash Rendar.. and i thought it was cool :D
 Ratmjedi
01-13-2003, 4:26 PM
I liked that too. They added so many things but I wish it was on DVD so that we could zoom in and get better quality images. You could also watch them more slowly. :D I can't wait till it comes out but I bet there are going to be people that are going to complain about it. :rolleyes: :p

:duel: :lsduel:
 Scar Da Kookee
01-13-2003, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by wassup
Ah...I don't get it. Didn't he just redo some graphics and stuff to make it look prettier? What is wrong with that? At least he didn't change the story or anything (did he?). :confused:

well how about the fact that techonogy in the laste 1970's earily 1980's arent as nearly as good as there are today

maybe Lucas wanted taht extra stuff in there the first time around, but couldn't do it

*cough*budget*cough*
 Katarn07
01-13-2003, 8:13 PM
He's talking about RotJ...

I don' town that one or ESB SEs, only ANH.

Only scenes I remember altered is Jabba's Palace (a lot better than puppets, some CCG guys in there) and new music in it.

Then they changed the Ewok song. Then they showed Coruscant! That was its big debut, a teaser of what's to come in the PT.
 Carbon_sleeper
01-14-2003, 9:52 PM
I think the reason ppl are so bothered is because the new ones aren't nostalgic to us. they're new. And the nostalgia is where most of our joy came from when watching the originals. I don't really think the films themselves are hurt by it. In fact, I think they're improved. Just the emotional throw back we feel when watching the originals isn't there anymore, because it's so new. Change is hard to deal with, in any form. I think evidence of this (and I tried this with 2 ppl) is to get someone that's never seen EITHER version, then have them watch both. Both people I had do this said the SE was much, much better. That's because both versions are new to them, so they have a more unbiased view. anyway, that's my probably wrong opinion. ;)
 Katarn07
01-15-2003, 2:30 PM
Hey, I saw the SEs 2 years after seeing SW for the first time. They were great to me! And since I'm still some what young, I like the prequels and don't let bad acting (not to much if you think about it, just a few main characters) affect my outlook on it.
 QueZTone
01-15-2003, 3:34 PM
booyah dont be such a baby

the changes are mostly for the better, don't whine you overgrown......twilok
 ckcsaber
01-15-2003, 7:27 PM
The storm grows thicker. An increasing flurry of I hate George Lucas/ Star Wars threads have been sighted. 2 words…..

SHUT UP

I’m tired of all these stupid threads about how GL is bad, SW sux, etc..

pbguy1211, you’ve made this thread in other forums too, and I’m getting tired of seeing them. Jeez, it was so damn bad because we got to see the amazing OT on the big screen. What a shame.

You know, if it wasn’t for the SE, many ppl would not have ever seen the OT on a movie screen. Yes some changes were made and most of them were good. The only one I can think of is, as Rhett has mentioned time and time again:D , that Greedo shot first. Han Solo was not supposed to be some “moral” guy. He would shoot first.

In conclusion, George Lucas = great, Star Wars = great, people that complain about great things = fools
 Rogue15
01-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by QueZTone
booyah dont be such a baby

please don't flame him, he's entitled to his own opinion, and I don't think calling him funny names will change that.

Now be nice

and take him to a hotel. <---JUST KIDDING
 wassup
01-15-2003, 11:33 PM
and take him to a hotel.

to do what? :naughty:
 Katarn07
01-16-2003, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by wassup
to do what? :naughty:

lol

Yeah, this thread is bad. I too am sick of it all.

If you hate Lucas so much, why are you a member of...

*drumroll*

LucasForums.

Just a thought for all of those who make these threads.:tsk:
 Wraith 8
01-16-2003, 3:35 PM
well.. everybody is entitled to an opinion... whether people agree with it or not. if you dont like the thread.. ignore it and dont post in it anymore.
 pbguy1211
01-17-2003, 1:02 AM
Originally posted by Carbon_sleeper
I think the reason ppl are so bothered is because the new ones aren't nostalgic to us. they're new. And the nostalgia is where most of our joy came from when watching the originals.

Thank you... if you saw it growing up as a chilc when it first came out in the theater you'd have a different perspective on the situation.

Originally posted by QueZTone

I'd like you to explain exactly how the changes are for the better.

Originally posted by ckcsaber
pbguy1211, you’ve made this thread in other forums too, and I’m getting tired of seeing them. Jeez, it was so damn bad because we got to see the amazing OT on the big screen. What a shame.

You know, if it wasn’t for the SE, many ppl would not have ever seen the OT on a movie screen. Yes some changes were made and most of them were good. The only one I can think of is, as Rhett has mentioned time and time again , that Greedo shot first. Han Solo was not supposed to be some “moral” guy. He would shoot first.

In conclusion, George Lucas = great, Star Wars = great, people that complain about great things = fools

Oh this'll be fun... you didn't see the original 3 on the big screen. You saw altered versions of Star Wars movies. If it was original it wouldn't have to have been changed. And it didn't have to be changed. The changes and additions were made for the sake of showing off ILM and giving some sort of reasoning for making a lot of his new 3. There's no rule that states older movies can't be reshown "as is" from their initial state. Do you realize how many movies are re-released years after they've been out? Disney does it all the time for one... Your conclusion is based on no facts so it's going to be useless to even argue it... but here it goes anyway... George Lucas is not great. He has a great special effects team in ILM, no doubt... but his script was so weak, his casting was awful, and he's re-writing history as he goes along for whatever reason (I seriously can't understand why he needs to re-write history, a good history, there's no NEED to do it). And his "monsters" and their placing is a complete joke. Did you watch the special crap on the episode 2 dvd? The part where he selects a monster out of about 20 ones already made to be Dexter? He never even had an idea in mind, he didn't make it up or think about it.... he just picked something out of the blue... yeah, that's "great"...

I'm done... for now ;)
 Wraith 8
01-17-2003, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
lol

Yeah, this thread is bad. I too am sick of it all.

If you hate Lucas so much, why are you a member of...

*drumroll*

LucasForums.

Just a thought for all of those who make these threads.:tsk: that has nothing to do with the entire topic. the lucasforums are a great deal about the games Lucas arts makes. this is just an extra forum to discuss certain issues wether you like or dislike them. and if you hate threads like these... dont post in them. ignore them.

@ pbguy1211: i respect your oppinion.. i also thought that some things changed were realy idiotic. like the greedo shot.. the jabba scene.. and the very first aproach on the city.. the rest of the special way to the city rocked.

in ESB.... i cant find anything that sucked... i loved it
also in RoTJ.. was cool

Now ofcourse you have to see that the technology is advancing so far that they could make ep1 and ep2 the way they did. i loved ep2... but i agree with you they should have made it the old fashion way.... it all looks to new.

my 2 cents

-Wraith 8-
 Rogue15
01-17-2003, 9:05 AM
I really enjoyed the prequels, being able to see star wars on the big screen for the first time [tho i did get to see anh special edition on big screen right when i became a huge sw fan], and then The Phantom Menace came out. I remember collecting those cans, and then the movie came out, I went to see it...and was blown away. Seeing Jedi in action and what life was like before the empire was a great experience. I wasn't as excited about attack of the clones, but that was just as good. But of course, this is all just my opinion. I didn't see anything wrong with the special edition, however, I agree that the song in return of the jedi being changed was a BAD MOVE, but other than that it was all good. The ending of return of the jedi was changed too, but i liked it more, it showed Coruscant for the first time, a T-16 Skyhopper flying over tatooine, and people celebrating at Cloud City.
 leXX
01-17-2003, 10:30 AM
The only bit that bothered me is when Han stood on Jabba's tail. That just looked so stupid. Everything else was fine.
 pbguy1211
01-17-2003, 11:11 AM
All I am saying, is that if you saw them in the theaters as a child about 1000 times each... and now you see them changed for no reason... you'd be upset too...

Originally posted by leXX
The only bit that bothered me is when Han stood on Jabba's tail. That just looked so stupid. Everything else was fine.

It was kind of funny... but it did make him seem a little less like a "gangster"... but you do know WHY he stood on his tail, right?
 Katarn07
01-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Try to secure the originals on VHS then. I own the ones that came out in 95, and only one SE.

Why does updated graphics ruin it? In ESB, would you rather se Leia walking surrounded by a matte painting of cloud city, looking like the Emerald City from Wizard of Oz, or would you wanna see a place that looks real, and a cloud car fly by that looks real. If you want the original, get the originals then...
 leXX
01-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by pbguy1211
It was kind of funny... but it did make him seem a little less like a "gangster"... but you do know WHY he stood on his tail, right?

Yes I know WHY. The original footage was of Han walking with a man (Jabba) and Han walked around him. To get around this when they digitally put fat Jabba on, they had to think of a way to compensate for Han doing this so they made him step on his tail.
 Katarn07
01-17-2003, 11:27 AM
That Jabba looks way to young after seeing TPM. They had better redo him for the DVD release... Along with a whole load of other stuff.

(Palpatine's face and voice in ESB, redo Mos Eisely [looks like crap compared tot the prequels, really early CG art by them I think...], etc)
 ckcsaber
01-17-2003, 1:05 PM
but his script was so weak, his casting was awful

What are you talking about??! You are saying Star Wars is bad as a whole.The script was great and the casting was great.
 Rogue15
01-17-2003, 7:05 PM
also, note that han standing on Jabba's tail could have been compensating for taking out him not being the first to fire. *shrugs*
 Luuke_Skywalker
01-18-2003, 10:48 AM
pbguy1211 i did grow up with the original movies on the big screen and although i respect your opinion i do believe you are totally in the wrong that all people who got to see the originals on the big screen wouldn't like the SE because i watched all three when they first hit the big screen in the late 70's and early 80's and also all three in the SE on the big screen and i felt that the George did a GREAT JOB! if you sit and watch the beginning of each of the movies in the SE you'll hear George say that the added scenes are ones that he had wanted to add in the orginal releases but didn't have the financial resources or technology to add them so they were scrapped till new technology came along and lo and behold the technology came along and he used it and "FINISHED" his original trilogy.

now no one knows "EXACTLY" how George wanted Han Solo to be whether or not he wanted Solo to have the scruples not to shoot first or not (George had never said) but since the SE erupted on the big screen and now on VHS we get the hint the George originally wanted Han Solo to be a man of values which as the OT went along we found out anyway because he did after all join the Rebellion. But the SE ANH gave us yet another look at the real Han Solo and if you look at it the fact that Greedo missed Han when he shot at him from such "short range" isn't all that hard to believe. I am a former United States Marine and have seen people not be able to hit the broad side of a barn from 5 paces with a darned Telescope mounted to the gun! so please sit and think about it logically and i also agree that it is becoming ridiculous about all the "Hate George Lucas, Hate Star Wars" threads going around where else but "Lucasforums"
 boinga1
01-20-2003, 9:51 PM
shoot, if you don't like the SE's, don't watch them!!
 BCanr2d2
01-21-2003, 6:21 AM
They are GL's movies, not ours, they are his ideas, not ours.....

He forever quotes in most interviews that movie escape, that they are never finished. He is a person now that has the money to bring the movies more in line with HIS original vision.
Be grateful that he released the movies, since ANH really changed the cinematic scene, introduced the term "Blockbuster" and finally gave those Trekkies some real enemies!! He invented certain cinematic techniques that everyone used to take for granted until CG took it's place.
Even helped the LOTR guys by introducing them to Pre-Viz CG scenes.

People may have taken the whole OT apart, scene by scene and think that they own, since they love to watch them, can spot all the minor mistakes, and quote the whole script for the three word for word.
Just because he happens to own both ILM and THX, along with Skywalker Sound (Most of the better movies use them) and has a lot of money to do as he pleases, he can change the movies to fit his original vision more.
Do not be surprised that originally that the SE versions were original an in house project of Lucas' to see if ILM could do a new SW saga justice, to see if they could create what he wanted to see.
The guy has always been at the bleeding edge of technology with his movies, which we see in every other movie that ILM does, and if they don't do it, the other effects companies have to live up to the quality that ILM can deliver, so that they look as good or better.

Get off your soap box, think before you shoot off at the mouth, and remember to hand the people a mint as they leave the toilet......
 pbguy1211
01-21-2003, 9:01 PM
sorry to say this, but if you think that the SE are his original ideas... then you're simply a sucker.
 BCanr2d2
01-22-2003, 5:10 AM
And if you can't see that the person who created the movie doesn't have the right to change it anyway he sees fit, and still took over US$200 Million for the SE version of ANH, then I am sorry to think that somehow it was a commerical success.....

Not his changes? Hmmm, I believe that GL has the last say on everything to do with the movies, he will give the direction as to where to go as a minimum. Tell me then, who was behind the changes, why did he re-release them? It is his name that is behind it, his money.
Do you complain that the DVD version of TPM is different to the VHS version, the VHS Version is the direct Cinematic copy. Or do you think the extra speeder scenes are no good either. Well, then if you hate SW so much STOP WATCHING THEM AND WATCH SOMETHING ELSE.......
LOTR:FOTR EE and Apocalypse Now Redux are totally different versions to the original, nowhere in the real of the extra 5 mins MAX that are added to the movies. I think it is under 10 minutes in total for the 3 movies.
Tell me, other than Han shooting first, what is so wrong with the SE?
Removing the streaming lights that resembled the X-Wings taking off from the Massasi Temple on Yavin 4, and replacing them with X-Wings? Helping clean up the scenes on Hoth when viewed through the A-Wing cockpit? The mass of X-Wings that are in space ready to attack? A much more "explosive" explosion of both Death Stars?
Scene for scene, word for word, very little has changed, just added in some "fluff" on the side that in the main isn't overly distracting, just that you know what to look for. Stop trying to look for the changes in the movie and just watch it, I believe that what a movie is for............................................... ........
 ZBomber
01-22-2003, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
shoot, if you don't like the SE's, don't watch them!!

That was the smartest thignsaid in this thread. :rolleyes:
 pbguy1211
01-22-2003, 6:25 PM
only watched them once... and certainly dont ever plan on watching the SE Ep. VI again... that was by far the last straw...
 Natty
01-22-2003, 7:26 PM
I was never interested in starwars till the SE came out- even then I was seriously not considering seeing it, only thing that changed my mind was coz it was my brothers birthday during the time ANH was released and he really wanted to see it- well you might say I'm glad I went with him :D

I have the SE on video (BTW when is it coming out on DVD???) and at the start of each video (I'm assuming its the same overseas for Australia) they talk about some of the changes they made for the SE, stuff like the whole snow scene was shot on blue screen no one had ever done that before and they have comparison shots and stuff, in the origional there's black lines and stuff around objects and the cockpits are seethrough- Lucas just wanted to fix those sort of things up coz in the 70's there wasn't that sort of technology

Oh and that Jabba/Han scene? Lucas said he always wanted it in but with the technology they couldn't figure out how to do it- which is why it was added later

Just sit back and enjoy it
 BCanr2d2
01-23-2003, 6:14 AM
The OT DVD's are rumoured to be coming out AFTER Episode 3 is out on DVD. So that is approx Christmas 2005, he'd be stupid to miss out on the timing there.
I'd be highly surprised if there isn't some small division of ILM, THX and Skywalker Sound that are working right now on getting the highest quality transfer to DVD from the movies. That'd include working out where GL is meant to be adding his other new bits to make the 6 movies to all join in together.
Word has it that John Williams is meant to be rescoring the whole trilogy, the ANH soundtrack is out of whack with the rest, since he and Lucas were unsure if there were more movies to come.

Glad to be in Zone 4, since the higher res PAL conversions will show up the NTSC versions!!
 Natty
01-23-2003, 8:28 AM
I'd love to see a whole box set of all 6episodes. I hope Lucas doesn't stuff around with it too much though- there were those rumours that Natalie Portman was supposed to be shooting scenes to be added into the OT- how the hell does that work? What are they gonna do???? Add her to the end of Jedi? While she's standing there in spirit form with Yoda and co????
 Darth Groovy
01-24-2003, 5:57 AM
Geeeeeeeez people lighten up. He's just given the OT a face lift, and personally I don't have a big problem with it, other than the perspective of Jabba to Han, and that whole bit with Greedo missing Han at point blank. Personally I love all the digital re-dos with the ships, and Mos Eisley. All he's doing is seeing to it that his classic film fits in with the whole grand scheme of things, and that the new generation that exists on a steady diet of John Woo Tom Cruise do not get bored with it. Hat's off to GL folks.
 Tie Guy
01-24-2003, 9:04 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
I don't have a big problem with it, other than the perspective of Jabba to Han,

What's wrong with that scene? I thought it was fine and helped explain a few things alot better.
 Rogue15
01-24-2003, 9:13 AM
the part where han steps on jabba's tail, and jabba looking younger than he did in tpm...
 Darth Groovy
01-24-2003, 1:41 PM
Nothing is wrong with the scene itself. It's just that Jabba appears to small compared to his scale and size in all of the other movies. In other words, his model is just too small in that scene.
 Darth Talliusc
01-29-2003, 12:21 AM

Oh this'll be fun... you didn't see the original 3 on the big screen. You saw altered versions of Star Wars movies. If it was original it wouldn't have to have been changed. And it didn't have to be changed. The changes and additions were made for the sake of showing off ILM and giving some sort of reasoning for making a lot of his new 3. There's no rule that states older movies can't be reshown "as is" from their initial state. Do you realize how many movies are re-released years after they've been out? Disney does it all the time for one... Your conclusion is based on no facts so it's going to be useless to even argue it... but here it goes anyway... George Lucas is not great. He has a great special effects team in ILM, no doubt... but his script was so weak, his casting was awful, and he's re-writing history as he goes along for whatever reason (I seriously can't understand why he needs to re-write history, a good history, there's no NEED to do it). And his "monsters" and their placing is a complete joke. Did you watch the special crap on the episode 2 dvd? The part where he selects a monster out of about 20 ones already made to be Dexter? He never even had an idea in mind, he didn't make it up or think about it.... he just picked something out of the blue... yeah, that's "great"...

I'm done... for now ;)

wait wait wait? you love the original version but hate the cast and script of the SE???..... sorry to inform you bud but its the same cast and almost the exact same script (just added a few scenes). i dont see how it could possibly have ruined the movie for you? (possibly because im me and not you).

you say he rewrote history. but its all the same damn thing except cleaned up a bit and a very small amount of added stuff. thats not rewriting history, its adding detail. i for one love detail.

and you claim that the SE wasnt GL's original ideas, and that you think anybody who believes that they are are suckers. well sorry bud, but you never saw GL's original ideas, ORIGINALLY luke was gonna be a girl!

plots change constantly. lets not forget that they were so close to releasing ROTJ when GL changed the name that they already had COMMERCIALS for "revenge of the jedi". GL always changes things and as it is his child we cant tell him not to. you say that you hate him. i find that very disturbing. you hate a man for bringing you into his world, if you hate his world you shouldnt have gone to see the movies 1000's of times. if you hated his world then why the hell are you on these forums? you wont find starwars haters here (except the very odd and stupid troll).

im having difficulties understanding where you're coming from man, ever think that maybe, just maybe the reason you hate the SE is because you expected to have the same feelings you had as a kid watching the OT? you're not a kid (at least not if you saw the OT in theatres) so of course the movie will have a different effect on you, you've grown up so the ewoks might no longer seem cute and the fact that they destroyed an obviously superior force erks you now. dont hate GL for having a vision, if ppl did that back in the 70's we'd never know obiwan kenobi or darth vader.
 Taos
01-29-2003, 12:57 AM
I really enjoyed all of the star wars movies......it wasn't til about two years ago when I finally rented all of the SE of the OT. I don't know why, I just wasn't in that big of a hurry to see them....as I have seen each movie too many times to count already. I was very impressed with the new scenes and I really enjoyed the movies.

Groovy was right when he said "lighten up."
 BCanr2d2
01-29-2003, 5:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth Talliusc

plots change constantly. lets not forget that they were so close to releasing ROTJ when GL changed the name that they already had COMMERCIALS for "revenge of the jedi".

The Revenge Of The Jedi was more of a working title to fool those that had made unlicensed products, so that they would have a lot of useless product.
He obviously went to such an extent to event have the ads made, voiced over and plated with the word Revenge. I don't believe it was GL's intention to ever use the word Revenge in the title at all...
 Darth Talliusc
01-29-2003, 9:10 AM
thanks Bcan, i did not know that. i had just thought it was GL being GL.

i think its sad that he had to go that far though, that unlicensed products were that big of a problem for him and his company. well i guess he knows best.
 nova_wolf
02-02-2003, 4:30 PM
Well, I will still never forgive him for not expanding the Luke-Biggs thing or putting the B-Wings back into the Battle of endor rather than redoing the Jabba's dnace number (which was meant to be a background thing, and worked BETTER as such).

I will always cherise my SE trilogy boxed set, but I will never forgive him his poor choices for redo.

Cloud City - Good !
Dance Number - Bad!
Hoth Sceanry - Good!
Slipping Outrider into the new Mos Eisley sequence - Good!
Greedo shooting first - BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD!

It looks SO STUPID! Hans head would not be able to do that unless he were a jedi, in which case the Empire would have been in much deeper s.. poo-doo than it was as it was with Luke!

Imagine a narked Force endowed Han coming at you, saber extended - *shivers*
 pbguy1211
02-13-2003, 9:24 PM
OMG...

wait wait wait? you love the original version but hate the cast and script of the SE???..... sorry to inform you bud but its the same cast and almost the exact same script (just added a few scenes). i dont see how it could possibly have ruined the movie for you? (possibly because im me and not you).

THE CAST OF THE NEW MOVIES!!! Obviously the original casts were the same... how the hell could you think anyone thought they were different?

you say he rewrote history. but its all the same damn thing except cleaned up a bit and a very small amount of added stuff. thats not rewriting history, its adding detail. i for one love detail.

no... he re-wrote history...

and you claim that the SE wasnt GL's original ideas, and that you think anybody who believes that they are are suckers. well sorry bud, but you never saw GL's original ideas, ORIGINALLY luke was gonna be a girl!

You really missed the point on that one... i guess it's a bit over your head...

plots change constantly. lets not forget that they were so close to releasing ROTJ when GL changed the name that they already had COMMERCIALS for "revenge of the jedi". GL always changes things and as it is his child we cant tell him not to. you say that you hate him. i find that very disturbing. you hate a man for bringing you into his world, if you hate his world you shouldnt have gone to see the movies 1000's of times. if you hated his world then why the hell are you on these forums? you wont find starwars haters here (except the very odd and stupid troll).

im having difficulties understanding where you're coming from man, ever think that maybe, just maybe the reason you hate the SE is because you expected to have the same feelings you had as a kid watching the OT? you're not a kid (at least not if you saw the OT in theatres) so of course the movie will have a different effect on you, you've grown up so the ewoks might no longer seem cute and the fact that they destroyed an obviously superior force erks you now. dont hate GL for having a vision, if ppl did that back in the 70's we'd never know obiwan kenobi or darth vader.

To end... they weren't the same movies he'd released many years ago...

Have you seen the Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring? and then did you see the extended version? THAT is a special edition... not a movie you feel like changing TWENTY YEARS LATER FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING NEW MOVIES AND SHOWING OFF YOUR SPECIAL EFFECTS TEAM!!! Check nova_wolf's post... he summed it up well...

I'm guessing a lot of you aren't from north amercia... because a lot of the star wars fans in the us ridicule lucas' changes in the original 3. The Greedo shooting first is #1... totally kills a lot of Hans credibility as a scoundrel... i'd follow that closely with all of Ep. VI
 dark jedi 8
02-13-2003, 10:14 PM
i would have to disagree, i for one liked the special edition trilogy, except for the part when greedo shot first, and jabba being a little too small, the dance number in ROTJ was ok nothing special.
but he really cleaned all of the movies up, like in ANH when there flying over the trench, in the original you could see these "flourescent boxes" around the fighters, in the special edition, they were cleared away thanks to digital technology. little things like that really made it look fresh. And the extended Mos Eisley entrance was awesome! As for left out seens, we always have the dvd's for that, just hope that GL puts them in!
 pbguy1211
02-14-2003, 1:28 PM
what he SHOULD do is make them super DVD sets, one original movie, one SE movie and one DVD with extras for each movie... but of course he wont...
 X-Vector
02-15-2003, 3:06 PM
I own the SE trilogy on VHS and I must say the only Ep that I have a problem with (concerning Lucas' revisions) is RotJ.

Basically it's two scenes that bother me:

1. The ridiculous CGI music scene, a cross between MTV and the Muppet Show - totally destroys the immersion and IMO is just a cynical attempt at pleasing the young 'uns in the audience (we're talking diaper age here).

2. The extended end scene - it's the abysmal panflute samba tune that, after a great climax to the movie, manages to turn things sour at the very last moment*.

*N.B.: a disclaimer - I can't remember the originals 100% clearly, so I have to go by Lucas' introductory talk to assume that this flute ditty was in fact not included in the theatrical version of the 80's.
Page: 1 of 2