Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ZBomber's Guide to Collecting

Page: 1 of 2
 ZBomber
01-10-2003, 5:49 PM
1. Condition - First thing you do when you find an action figure is check its condition.

Packaging - A good package would have no creases and bends. Always check in the corners, because Scalpers will often purposely bend them, forcing you to not buy them, or not keep it in its packaging.

Open - If you are buying the figure open, make sure it from a reliable source. Se if you can hold it, check the limbs to see if they are on good. You will also want to look at the paint job. You don't want paint smeared off.

2. Fakes - There are a lot of hoax's out there, so you gotta be careful. One of my friends went to Spain, and he found a Leia put in another package, with a different body. Do not be fooled. Its not a rare variation. It is a hoax. I will soon post up a very large list of Star Wars Action Figurines. ;)

3. Reliable Places – There are A LOT of places that sell Star Wars Action figurines. I will list some places that are reliable:
Stores:

K’B Toys - A good place to get action figures, however, the prices are sometime a little higher. The shipments are put up as soon as they get them, but do not often get shipments.

Toy’s R’ Us – Decent prices. Most stores do a terrible stocking job. A lot of selection. They get a lot of shipments, but they take awhile to get them all in. Recently, I went to Toys R’ Us, and found a Red-Package Luke Skywalker with a long lightsaber. I’m guessing they had just found it, and put it out.

Wal-Mart – Very good prices (Just like that smiley dude :p) They often get new shipments, and are great at stocking. They order too much of the basic figures, but hey, that can be good! They put out the figures from the day they get them, to a week later. Not to bad. This is where I get most of my Star Wars.

K-Mart – Good prices. They have less of a selection. The carry some green package characters. I haven’t been here much.

Target – They get a lot of exclusives, like the accessories packs. Good prices, and good supply.

Internet sites:

Brian’s Toys – High prices on the newer figures, but most of the older figures have cheap prices ($3-$10). Shipping is fair, you do not have a selection of mint and not mint.
http://www.brianstoys.com)

Yester Toys – Not as wide a selection, but most of the prices are reasonable. Shipping is good, choice between mint and non-mint.
http://www.yestertoys.com)

John’s Toys – Has an all right selection, and mostly good prices. Most packages are mint. My friend has been in the stock room, and he says it is very good.
http://www.johns-toys.com)

4. Place for info on collecting:
Rebel Scum – www.rebelscum.com) - Good info of when figures are coming out, whats coming out, and variations.
Sir Steve’s Guide – www.sirstevesguide.com) - Same as above.
Hasbro – www.hasbro.com) - obviously a good site for collecting. :)
I might make a site, if it’s a popular request.

I will add some more later. ;)
 Swoosh
01-10-2003, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the good advice...real helpful for a beginner like myself. I got a question too...

If buying new figures, which should I buy? Just the ones I like or is there certain figures that tend to increase in price more rapidly?

Swoosh
 Jed
01-10-2003, 8:03 PM
Well, another tip to do for recent toys is that you'll have a better chance of having a valuable toy if it's one high in demand (the new Yoda was one for example), and any exclusive figures (Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Starfighter Pilot; KBToys exclusive) are usually more valuable as well.

Hope that helps ;).
 ZBomber
01-10-2003, 9:12 PM
Originally posted by Swoosh
Thanks for the good advice...real helpful for a beginner like myself. I got a question too...

If buying new figures, which should I buy? Just the ones I like or is there certain figures that tend to increase in price more rapidly?

Swoosh

Well, it depends. If you paln on someday selling your collection, buy the valubale ones. If your not, buy the ones that seem cool to you. I'm gonna add more to this guide, like rare and new figures, so you'll stay on top. ;)
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 11:37 AM
first of all if your wondering im taters whom z talks about and im he friend in the guide up above. i my self buy all of the figs because i can but when i couldnt i bought the ones that i thought were made well or of a charactor i like im now proud to say i havce almost all (eccept vintage i only have about 22 of those) and valuable ones are yes either ones made in low ammounts or variations such as the new luke bespin bloody arm. but most of all a figure is only worth wut you want to pay for it. and yes exclusives are always nice.
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by daring dueler
first of all if your wondering im taters whom z talks about and im he friend in the guide up above. i my self buy all of the figs because i can but when i couldnt i bought the ones that i thought were made well or of a charactor i like im now proud to say i havce almost all (eccept vintage i only have about 22 of those) and valuable ones are yes either ones made in low ammounts or variations such as the new luke bespin bloody arm. but most of all a figure is only worth wut you want to pay for it. and yes exclusives are always nice.

bloody hand. ;)
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 11:57 AM
wel the wrist is bloody on the arm soooo....i said arm
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 12:12 PM
wel the wrist is bloody on the arm soooo....i said arm

shut up, I hate you. :p
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 12:30 PM
dont we all;)
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 12:34 PM
dont we all;)

.....maybe...... :lol:
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 1:25 PM
no maybe yes or no there is no maybe
 Jed
01-11-2003, 2:29 PM
Jeez, can we get back to the topic at hand guys?

No Pun Intended ;)

Well, nothing more valuable then a mistake in a figure as well...but you have to make sure it is real as well, like the guide says.
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 2:34 PM
especially on e-bay
 Jed
01-11-2003, 2:38 PM
Ebay....ugh, don't get me started....

I'd stay away from Ebay, it's too easy to get burned in collecting on auction sites.
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 5:59 PM
Yeh. They sold a bible signed by Jesus. :p
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 10:11 PM
you mean its not ....d'oh!
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 10:27 PM
you mean its not ....d'oh!

yes. Awhile ago, there was a thread made for these.

Anyway, what do you guys thin kof my guide?
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 10:35 PM
its good cuz i helped lol jk
 ZBomber
01-11-2003, 10:37 PM
its good cuz i helped lol jk

I did most of it. :p

But, Taters did do some of it. So give hi mcredit too. ;)
 daring dueler
01-11-2003, 10:41 PM
all hail me
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Now I know where Z get's all his points...

Dont you guys have MSN?(I know Z has..or else something is not right..:p)
 daring dueler
01-12-2003, 12:51 PM
what?
 ZBomber
01-12-2003, 12:57 PM
what?

That, my friend is spam. 1 word replys is spam. Going off-topic. Thats also spam. So lets stay on topic, shall we. ;)
 Jed
01-12-2003, 1:08 PM
The guide is good. It could use some more detail in certain areas, but overall I'd say it's good for beginners and medium-level collectors.

:thumbsup:
 daring dueler
01-12-2003, 1:10 PM
i was replying to tyron i didnt understand what he said and no i guess i dont have msn sry for spam-a meat
 ZBomber
01-12-2003, 1:16 PM
i was replying to tyron i didnt understand what he said and no i guess i dont have msn sry for spam-a meat

I'll show you were to downlaod it later. Not many people on LF use AIM. ;)

Thanks for the Feedback Jedi. :)
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 1:48 PM

Can you go over your posts next time,because there are a ton of spelling mistakes in all of your posts.
 Swoosh
01-12-2003, 3:59 PM
Guys, please just try to stay on topic here...this was a good thread, try to add something constructive.

Swoosh
 swphreak
03-05-2003, 2:43 PM
wait a minute... ZBomber has a guide?? ZBomber??

LOL j/k :D

You should add a lil section on collecting Micro Machine Action Fleet. You did say "Guide to Collecting." ot just Action Figures......
 daring dueler
03-05-2003, 4:03 PM
the same rules goes towards all most all 12" 3 3/4" and af or micro machines
 Chewy25
03-14-2003, 8:58 PM
Hello all I have alot of old starwars stuff and am looking to sell them they are all in fair shape and I have alot of all peices to them if anyone wants to buy anything pm me and I'll get back to you.
 daring dueler
03-18-2003, 3:42 PM
no offense but this isnt a flee market
 ZBomber
04-04-2003, 10:05 PM
no offense but this isnt a flee market

*Does Jesus thing*
You have runied my thread! OUT OF MY THREAD, NOOBIE!

:D
 daring dueler
04-09-2003, 9:26 PM
you callin me a nube? or the other kid z? if its me dont make me get out of my chair, cuz im comfortable. i know things that could kill you, lol.
 ZBomber
04-21-2003, 11:35 PM
you callin me a nube? or the other kid z? if its me dont make me get out of my chair, cuz im comfortable. i know things that could kill you, lol.

The other member. Phreak, I think i'll make a section soon for Micro-Machines. ;)
 daring dueler
06-18-2003, 1:21 PM
another good thing to add is plastic acrylic cases for figures i got in my shipment of 3 the other day for my jorg sacul , vintage tessek, and dark trooper al in package , and they wok great!
 ZBomber
07-06-2003, 1:41 PM
Daring Dueler just made a really good post, about "rare figures"

some of the most rare or expensive figures are

vinal cape vintage jawa
vintage ananaman
vintage boba fett exclusive rocket fire on rotj card that sadly never made it past prototype, but a few of those are floating around
toy fair 2002 vader
celebration 2 cammander jorg sacul(an x wing piulot made in george lucas's image)
vintage imperial dignitary
potf boba fett green card with slide
vintage barada is kinda rare
vintage yak face

also some ships like ythe y wing,skiff,and shuttle are rare.

i think that some only a few of the modern saga carded will be rare, i think probly some of the hard to find ones now, such as beardles soldier will go up, or the just released conventio silver boba fett on a special black card with madalorian skull thing as backround.

most figures are not limited, if anything made more available now more than ever, but shipping now is slow.

popular charators seem to uave the same ammopunt made as not well known ones which actually usually go faster, who hoinestly wanyts repakages or a repaint as much as a figure not made yet?

if you collect, prices will go up on some in time, yes, mostly the ones that are exclusives such as the kb gamorean guard,tys are us mace windu 12", wal mart garbage compactor 2 packs.

also older 12'' figures, especially the marmit 12" that are from japan.
 daring dueler
07-13-2003, 7:43 PM
best.poste.ever!:p ;)
 ZBomber
07-15-2003, 3:21 PM
best.poste.ever!:p ;)

It is actually the only good quality post I ahve ever seen you do. Good job. :)

So, I mgiht add some more later. I just don't know what advice their is left.
 daring dueler
07-16-2003, 4:37 PM
maybe you could add some parts on things about collecting you kno about.......or maybe a list of variations.
 daring dueler
07-30-2003, 12:46 AM
just in case you are collecting illiterate, here are some more or better(;) ) abbreviations

moc-mint on card
c1-collection 1
c2-collection 2

c9-no scratches, no bends, no dents
c8-small hardly noticable bends, slits,scratches or other card problems
c6-for someone who opens

also on bootleg figures there are alot, some arnt to bad i have non licesensed hong kong clone troopers im happy with. alot of bootlegs on ebay

another ebay problem- if they say special variation on a paint smudge..there screwing you. another thing is, hasbro/kenner has never recalled a figure ever, dont let that fool you either.

also if you have variation questions on ebay, go to www.sirstevesguide.com) and e-mail thrwns faq, he will answer any variation questins, and so will i to the best of my knolledge, any questions- email me at tater96@aol,com and mention collecting so ill open it.
 ZBomber
08-05-2003, 3:03 PM
just in case you are collecting illiterate, here are some more or better(;) ) abbreviations

moc-mint on card
c1-collection 1
c2-collection 2

c9-no scratches, no bends, no dents
c8-small hardly noticable bends, slits,scratches or other card problems
c6-for someone who opens

also on bootleg figures there are alot, some arnt to bad i have non licesensed hong kong clone troopers im happy with. alot of bootlegs on ebay

another ebay problem- if they say special variation on a paint smudge..there screwing you. another thing is, hasbro/kenner has never recalled a figure ever, dont let that fool you either.

also if you have variation questions on ebay, go to www.sirstevesguide.com) and e-mail thrwns faq, he will answer any variation questins, and so will i to the best of my knolledge, any questions- email me at tater96@aol,com and mention collecting so ill open it.

Ah, thanks for that add on, Daring. ;)
 daring dueler
08-07-2003, 9:52 PM
yup, and if any one has collecting questions, ask me , i will get an answer if i dont know it....and no questions on how much somthing is worth, or what i should pay.
 ZBomber
08-12-2003, 1:47 AM
I wonder why I bother making this FAQ.... How many people do you think have actually read it? :confused:
 daring dueler
08-12-2003, 2:36 PM
nope noone has,or will;)
 swphreak
08-12-2003, 5:19 PM
Well, I was feeling generous today, so I skimmed through your faq and read some of it :p j/k

I read most of it.

I'm sure if I collected figs, it would mean a great deal to me but.... I don't so.. uhhh....

*awkward silence*

look! it's a... rare.. figure... of some kind!

*vanishes*
 daring dueler
08-12-2003, 6:39 PM
umm yes well, i found that rare figure, look the long lost expanded univers action fleet chain! over there, by the table!
 ZBomber
08-12-2003, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Well, I was feeling generous today, so I skimmed through your faq and read some of it :p j/k

I read most of it.

I'm sure if I collected figs, it would mean a great deal to me but.... I don't so.. uhhh....

*awkward silence*

look! it's a... rare.. figure... of some kind!

*vanishes*

:rofl:

Any other catagoreys that I should add?
 daring dueler
08-14-2003, 8:37 PM
poste um a price guide! lol;)
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 9:22 PM
poste um a price guide! lol;)

OK. :)

Vinyl Cape Jawa - 5 dollars to 500 dollars. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p
Page: 1 of 2