Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Special Edition VCDs

Page: 1 of 1
 Swoosh
01-08-2003, 7:28 PM
I probably should have asked this earlier...but has anyone bought the Star Wars VCDs? I ordered them from AllVCD.com (http://www.allvcd.com) today and was curious if any of you know much about them. Or...for that matter, know much about VCDs in general. Thanks

Swoosh
 ZBomber
01-08-2003, 7:52 PM
Virtual CD's? :confused:
No idea. :D
 Boba Rhett
01-08-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't know about the trilogy VCDs but what would you like to know about VCDs in general?
 BCanr2d2
01-09-2003, 5:05 AM
I believe that they are legit, so far the only original SW movies on a disc of some sort. Obviously they do have the problem that they are VCD's, and lack the quality, since they have to fit onto CD (650 MB) and not a DVD (4.7GB per layer, can be dual layered and dual sided)
 Darth Simpson
01-09-2003, 10:28 AM
I read a review of them a while ago, I think I remember it saying they were a bit blocky at times, but otherwise ok.

Personally, I'd rather buy the bootleg DVD's on eBay. Yeah, I know, they're not the real deal, but laserdisc rips, but they sure look a helluva lot better than VHS.

Oh yeah, I know a bit about VCD's. Anything in particular in mind?
 Swoosh
01-09-2003, 11:22 AM
OK, a few questions...

1. VCDs can be playing in all or most DVD players, right?
2. The quality is better than VHS but not as good as DVD, right?

I'm mainly buying them because I don't own the SE VHS edition, and I want to get the special editions in some form. I figured VCD would be better than VHS. But, I should get them soon enough and I can let you guys know how good they are.

Swoosh
 Darth Simpson
01-09-2003, 11:51 AM
1. Yep, most DVD players can play VCD as well. Check with your manufacturer though, just to be sure.

2. Here's a review (http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/news/feature.asp?Index=4234) of the discs, with some screenshots (http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/news/feature.asp?Index=4235) here. Quality seems to be so-so. VCD is really aging now, being replaced by the superior SVCD ( Super VCD ). Don't think the SW Triology is available in that format though.

Overall I would say VCD have about the same quality as VHS, although it depends on the source of the capture ( DVD, Laserdisc, VHS, etc. ). The SW Triology are Laserdisc captures, so they are pretty high quality for a VCD, although not as good as a DVD rip.
 Swoosh
01-30-2003, 11:07 AM
I got the VCDs and I'm not really that impressed with them. The image quality isn't great and the images get blocky at certain points for some reason. If I was still looking for a copy of the special editions, I'd get the widescreen VHS. But, these aren't horrible, so I'll hold onto them and watch them until the DVDs come out.

Swoosh
Page: 1 of 1