Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

your favourite EU book of all time

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Talliusc
01-08-2003, 4:27 PM
this thread is where you can list what you think of as the very best of this wonderful universe. series are allowed but please note which book you found the most interesting.

ill get the ball rolling: the thrawn trilogy. specifically heir to the empire. a masterpiece. if you havent read it shame on you!
 ZBomber
01-08-2003, 4:38 PM
Well, not sure if Jedi Apprentice Series are Expanded Universe.... :(
 Boba Rhett
01-08-2003, 5:12 PM
I can almost tolerate the Thrawn trilogy.
 Boba Rhett
01-08-2003, 5:12 PM
I can almost tolerate the Thrawn trilogy.
 Ratmjedi
01-08-2003, 6:04 PM
Darksaber by Kevin J. Anderson. That was my most favorite EU book that I have read. I liked the whole book and I thought it was well written. The only thing that I didn't like was that Crix Madine died; :( He was a cool guy in the book and you got to know more about him than just what you saw in ROTJ.

:lsduel: :duel:
 Wraith 8
01-08-2003, 6:16 PM
WRAITH SQUADRON

well not just the first of the 3.. but all 3.... the author Aaron Aalston puts in great humor.

so for me:

X-wing book nr. 5 Wraith Squadron
X-wing book nr. 6 Iron Fist
X-wing book nr. 7 Solo Command.
 Ewok Hunter
01-08-2003, 6:37 PM
I Jedi by mike stackpole
 ZBomber
01-08-2003, 7:45 PM
Originally posted by Chase Windu
I really enjoyed 'The Courtship of Princess Leia'.

Yeh, I just started reading the book. ;)
 JediNyt
01-09-2003, 4:04 AM
Havent read that many but I say the Thrawn Trilogy.
 Wraith 8
01-09-2003, 12:30 PM
well.. i realy loved the Corellian trilogy aswell.... the second from that series: Attack on selonia was my very first book :D
 Katarn07
01-09-2003, 5:40 PM
I read XW1 & XW2, but the 3rd one sucked so never got onto the 4th one....

I like the ones with Jaina and Jacen. Easy to read a lot in little time and full of adventure. Thrawn Trilogy is great too.

Oooh! Ohhh! Rouge Planet rocks alongside of Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Read 'em if you haven't. Shadow Hunter is an all out, non-stop, action packed book following a Jedi, a Scoundrel, Darth Maul (duh!), a bounty hunter, and for a couple chapters, a Neimodian traitor. Excellent!
And Rouge Planet is the prequel to the NJO sorta. No real appearance by the Vong, but they are indeed the invaders. Vergere is in it.

NJO all together is probably the best. Have only read first two though :D....
 Tie Guy
01-09-2003, 6:05 PM
The Thrawn Trilogy by far. Those were my first and no other books, period, come close.

Next would be the Thrawn Duology, followed closely by the X-Wing books and I, Jedi.
 Rogue15
01-09-2003, 6:10 PM
The Bounty Hunter Wars and Shadows of the Empire are my favorites. Unlike alot of lucasforum members, I love the New Jedi Order. :D
 boinga1
01-09-2003, 9:54 PM
welll...all the Zhan books are good...and the Rogue squandron series are good, I liked the books by Aalston best cuz they were well-written...and I like the lastest three NJO books...
 Boba Rhett
01-10-2003, 2:33 AM
*gasp* R15, SotE is horrible! :D
 Tie Guy
01-10-2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
*gasp* R15, SotE is horrible! :D

*runs for cover* :D

SOTE wasn't that bad, it certainly is alot different than most other SW books though. Thats one book where i think i remember quite a few contradictions to the movie....not sure.
 Ratmjedi
01-11-2003, 1:30 AM
Have any of you read the Black Fleet Crisis?

I think that this is my favorite Trilogy of Eu excluding Ep IV, V , VI.
It really is a good series and I enjoyed it very much. I like the way that you get to read more about Lando and his adventures and there is a lot of action too. :D

Thew Rydur
01-11-2003, 11:49 AM
I'd have to say the Thrawn trilogy too. Did anyone read Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina? I thought that was good.
 Katarn07
01-11-2003, 1:29 PM
Tales from Cantina, Palace, and Bounty Hunters were all great!
 Carbon_sleeper
01-11-2003, 7:11 PM
for me, the most fun books were the six Han Solo books. I'm talking about the three that were written by Brian Daley back in the eighties and the new ones that told Han's history. They were fun books that really held the essence of star wars, without getting too Science fiction-ish (star wars is a space fantasy, after all).
 Altus_Thrawn
01-12-2003, 8:17 AM
I am a chiss fan, so I liked spector of the past and visions of the future alot.

The thrawn series was also excellent, not to mention I, Jedi.

Gee...the NJO is also excellent. Those are all my favorites, I can't say out of those. It seems anything that passes GL is excellent.
 Darth Talliusc
01-12-2003, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Ratmjedi
Have any of you read the Black Fleet Crisis?

I think that this is my favorite Trilogy of Eu excluding Ep IV, V , VI.
It really is a good series and I enjoyed it very much. I like the way that you get to read more about Lando and his adventures and there is a lot of action too. :D

GACK! i banish you from the thread! be GONE!

ok im kidding. i suppose we all deserve our own opinions... but since i started the thread im gonna say that i think your opinion is wrong :p maybe its just my odd hatred for lando, i just dont know.

it had too much politics, if you ask me the only good thing in that series of books was the gigantic battle near the end. oh and it bothered me how according to that book Padme (only referred to as lukes mom) was force senesitive and left for some mystical clan group thing. it just bothered me.
 Tie Guy
01-12-2003, 7:17 PM
Originally posted by Darth Talliusc
it had too much politics, if you ask me the only good thing in that series of books was the gigantic battle near the end. oh and it bothered me how according to that book Padme (only referred to as lukes mom) was force senesitive and left for some mystical clan group thing. it just bothered me.

No, they were never looking for Luke's mom. That girl, whose name i cannot remember, was just using Luke so she could find her people. Padme wasn't part of the White Current or anything.
 Darth Talliusc
01-14-2003, 4:55 PM
hmmm, well it has been a few years since i read that series. perhaps i remember incorrectly but i couldve sworn that that girl told luke that his mom was part of the "White current". ill check later and edit this post.
 Tie Guy
01-14-2003, 5:20 PM
hmmm, well it has been a few years since i read that series. perhaps i remember incorrectly but i couldve sworn that that girl told luke that his mom was part of the "White current". ill check later and edit this post.

Yeah, she did, but she was lying. She just wanted Luke to help her get home.
 ckcsaber
01-14-2003, 6:13 PM
Any book that has Corran Horn, as a Jedi was good. Also I enjoyed the Bounty Hunter trilogy. Brought me some much needed Fett stories.
 Ratmjedi
01-14-2003, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Yeah, she did, but she was lying. She just wanted Luke to help her get home.
Thank you man. ;)

I would of responded earlier but every time I come here I see that the NJO thread is the one that has been replied to so I don't bother to come cause I don't like the NJO books.

GACK! i banish you from the thread! be GONE!

ok im kidding. i suppose we all deserve our own opinions... but since i started the thread im gonna say that i think your opinion is wrong maybe its just my odd hatred for lando, i just dont know.

Lando is a cool character to you know. I find him fun to read about cause you kinda wonder a lot about his past. I know he was a gambler and everything and how he lost the Falcon in a Sabbac game but you wonder about how learned to gamble and how he grew up. He's a scoundrel like Han put it to Leia on Bespin. He's cool in my opinion.

Skinkie
01-14-2003, 10:14 PM
The whole X-Wing series was great, especially Rogue Squadron, the Bacta War, Solo Command, and Starfighters of Adumar.
 Tie Guy
01-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Ratmjedi
Lando is a cool character to you know. I find him fun to read about cause you kinda wonder a lot about his past. I know he was a gambler and everything and how he lost the Falcon in a Sabbac game but you wonder about how learned to gamble and how he grew up. He's a scoundrel like Han put it to Leia on Bespin. He's cool in my opinion.

You learn alot more about him in the Han Solo trilogy, so you should read those if you haven't already. Doesn't really talk about his childhood, but it does talk alot about some of his past.

BTW, i just finished Traitor, and i must say that it was one of the best books i've ever read. Most excellent.
 El Sitherino
01-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Han Solo trilogy and the courtship of princess leia and darth maul shadow hunter.
 nova_wolf
01-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Wraiths time in X-Wing series,
Star by Star
Destiny's Way
I Jedi
Star Wars Trilogy

And anything with Lando and his YVH droids.. hehehehe...
 Darth Groovy
01-18-2003, 4:05 AM
Probably the Timothy Zahn Books, Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. They are a direct influence on my Academy Wars. Also the New Solo Trilogy is decent, but I have not read all three yet. Also really enjoyed the Tales of The Bounty Hunter.
 StarWarsPhreak
01-19-2003, 2:50 AM
"Traitor" (NJO era)
'nuff said

The Thrawn Duology (spector, vision)
really awesome! Zahn r00lz

"The Crystal Star"
I jus like the Solo kids.

Young Jedi Knights Series.
Same as above
 grazman0
01-19-2003, 5:43 PM
I think 'Tales of the Empire' is good for any that dont have all the original stars (Han,Luke etc), 'Truce at Bakura' would be next.

Top 5

Tales of the Empire
Truce at Bakura
Last Command
Children of the Jedi
Tales of the Republic
 Keiran Halcyon
01-20-2003, 3:39 PM
I really like Shadows of the Empire (only EU book with Vader and the Emperor, plus the sotry is great - and i did not read any great contradictions...)

Then it will be I, Jedi and Visions of the Future...
 Swat
01-24-2003, 4:43 AM
the shadows of the empire, thrawn trilogy and the hand of thrawn series are the best of all
 Keiran Halcyon
01-24-2003, 10:27 AM
You know Zhan is doing the brigde novel from EPII to EPIII and one after his duology with Luke and Mara?
 Swat
01-24-2003, 12:16 PM
wat are the titles n when will they be released? can u give mi a link 2 that announcement?
 Keiran Halcyon
01-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Here is the list:

Star Wars books to come (http://www.theforce.net/books/index.shtml#19555)
 Jedi_Duck1138
01-31-2003, 11:58 PM
i have read 62 EU (49 novels and 13 smaller kids books) and i say without hesitation Vision of the Future. I'm going to have to say my favorites are:

Hand of Thrawn
I, Jedi
X-Wing (especially Mike Stackpole)
Thrawn
Star by Star
Traitor

Anyone know when destiny's way comes out in paperback?
Or when Zhan's next books come out?
Page: 1 of 1